Two can play the game

Do you love me?

Eunha walk out of her room towards the kitchen. Everyone was there already. 

“Mooorning.” Eunha said cheerfully in her cute voice.

”Morning unnie.” Yuju and Umji greeted the older girl while Yerin and SinB smile at her.

Eunha waited for the leader of Gfriend to greet her back as everyone else had. But, nothing. She sigh a bit and sits on the chair. Slowly she eats the toast waiting for Sowon to come and claimed the chair for her as usual. Again, nothing. She glances over the kitchen counter and see the older girl is eating her breakfast while standing. 

“Sowon unnie, you should sit down when you are eating.”

Although it is already known to everyone that usually Sowon will sit on the chair she is sitting on and she will sit on her lap, Eunha intentionally said it ambiguously. Eunha decides to let go of what happened last night, hence explaining her usual demeanour of cutely saying her good morning. However, she is still a bit angry, thus the reason of her indirect invitation to Sowon to sit with her as usual. The older girl didn’t respond, she was preoccupied with her phone texting someone. Eunha take a deep breath trying to keep herself calm.

”Sowon unnie!” Umji literally scream at the oldest girl among the six of them which make her jump a bit.

”Yes, Umji. Why are you screaming my name?” Sowon put her phone down on the counter and turn around to face the youngest girl of Gfriend.

”Eunha unnie said you should sit down and eat.” Umji smiles at Eunha who turn her head and look at her.

”I’m done. Girls, you should finish your breakfast quickly.” Sowon answers and walk towards the sink to wash her hand before leaving the kitchen. 

Eunha bit her inner cheek and side staring Sowon who just left the kitchen. She let out a frustrated short sigh. As a sign of protest, Eunha chews her bread really slow. Their manager is not going to be here picking them up in another half an hour. Rather than facing Sowon who is clearly enjoying her conversation with whoever she is texting, Eunha get a bowl and filled it up with cereals and milk.

Yerin stared at Eunha’s mouth and then the bowl. Even with the bread still in Yerin’s hand, the sight of Eunha rapidly scoop the cereals and the milk then put it in , the sounds of the cereals being crushed in Eunha’s mouth made water.

“You want some?” Eunha slides the bowl to Yerin.

She knew the older girl well and she saw how Yerin was eyeing her bowl of cereal when she eats it. Both Yerin’s lips and eyes are curled into a smile. Yerin begin scooping the cereals after saying her thank you. After a few mouthfuls of cereals, Eunha got her half-full bowl of cereals back. She noticed that Sowon is side staring her but she just ignore the older girl saying to herself ‘two can play that game’. Eunha finishes the cereal with Yerin and Yuju which she fed intermittently.

Sowon and Eunha are playing a war of nerves all morning before they left home to the event’s site. Eunha was playing with Umji and Yuju at the dining table while having her breakfast. She was acting extra cute and adorable when she interacts with them. Meanwhile, Sowon deliberately texting Nayoung, one of her friend from another girl group and laugh loudly. Both wanted to capture the other’s attention with acts that usually caused them to be consumed with jealousy.

”Aigooo my baby Umji, why are you so cute? I want to hug you, don’t want to let go of my baby.” Eunha said while pinching Umji’s cheek followed by hugging her tightly in an attempt to make Sowon jealous.

She listens and looks at the youngest member of Gfriend adorably as she tells her some funny stories when she was cooking this morning with Yuju. They laugh. Eunha honestly laugh as she could imagine the weird Yuju rapping about eggs and hot pan while Umji cooking. She really loves Umji, she is kind and nice and these qualities of Umji always comforting her when she is in a bad mood or sad. 

Sowon listens to the girls laughing and she wanted to laugh as well because she remembered Yuju’s rap and it was funny. However, her smile immediately turn into a frown as she saw Eunha sitting on Umji’s lap. That was supposed to be her lap that Eunha should be sitting on. She was jealous of Umji and Yuju who seem to be as happy as they can be talking to Eunha. Not only Eunha is sitting on Umji’s lap, now, Yuju is rapping to her saying how beautiful she is and lucky to met and be with her for the past few years.

Sowon was saying to herself in her mind as she witness the scene while unconsciously type her thoughts and send it to her friend she is texting. ‘That should be my lap, I am the rapper and I should be the one rapping my love confession to you. I love you, I do, do you?’.

Ting! Sowon clicks on the new message notification and read the message with a confused face. 

‘Are you rapping or did you really just confess your feelings to me? Sowon-yah, I told you about my crush. Stop playing with me.’

Sowon then read the last message she sent to her friend and laugh her heart out once she realised what she wrote. She was still laughing when she type and reply the message she received earlier.

’Yah, I like you as a friend and I do love you as my friend. I was just thinking of a rap that suit this thing I’m watching on TV.’

Sowon lied as she was embarrassed with herself for sending that message earlier. She could feel her cheeks are getting hot and red out of embarrassment. People might misunderstand her blushing got to do with something the other person is saying to her but, it’s not. It’s her, if she could she wanted to hide under a rock somewhere in a desert. 

It does seem to Eunha that Sowon is enjoying her conversation and that the other person us saying something lovely that causes the older girl to laugh her heart out and blushing. Eunha feels a pang of jealousy hearing Sowon is laughing and making cute noises while looking attentively to her phone. She is also angry when the older girl didn’t even say anything when she eats a bowl of cereals as well as when she was acting too cute with the other members.

Usually Sowon would at least side staring her, but today, she didn’t even bat an eye. It irritates her that she cannot do what she normally does when Sowon is being overly friendly, lovely with other people and when she ignores her. She was sulky, but she cannot whine and shows it to her.

Sowon typically got easily jealous while Eunha doesn’t. Whenever Sowon showed that she is jealous, often Eunha will go and console her. But today, she decided to play Sowon’s game of ignoring and making each other jealous.

As much as it displeased Eunha to be stuck in a closed place with Sowon right now, she has to. She needs to stay professional when it comes to their work as a member of Gfriend. The one hour ride to the place of the event was one of the most miserable hour of Eunha’s life since she became a member of Gfriend and a close, somewhat special person to Sowon.

Eunha sits at the back of the van, without a word she plugged in her earphone blasting one of her favourite song, Tears by So Chan Wee. When she could still hear Sowon’s chuckles, she cranked up the volume until she could not hear it anymore. She is sure that Umji and Yuju who sits beside and in front of her could hear it too but she just doesn’t care. The song have parts that goes really high and people usually scream to sing those parts and Eunha always listen and sing the song when she is stress. It feels good to let everything out and sceam, but people might know her problem. So, the best way is to sing and scream those parts with all your heart.

The rehearsal went well. Everyone showed a great performance just as they practiced. There are a lot of fans watching the rehearsal. They enjoyed other performers’ performances as well. Although their performance would only take about 20 minutes, but they have to rehearse for few hours for audio check and to sync with the programs and other performers. 

Eunha and Sowon avoided each other throughout the rehearsal so people would not know that they are not in good terms. After the rehearsal, they eat their lunch in their waiting room, change into their performing dress and take turns to do their makeup. Luckily, they don’t have any behind the scene filming or live streaming session with the fans as it would be very difficult for both Sowon and Eunha to pretend in front of the camera.

****

SinB had her eyes everywhere trying to find Handyman Oppa who had promised her that she will come and watch their performance today. She peeks from behind the stage, when they are lining up, waiting for the music to start, she still didn’t catch an eye on that person. The fans are screaming her name and she smiles, then her face turn to her normal cold, serious face. It is normal for her, but this time it’s actually reflecting her emotional state right now. Still, she dance and sing wholeheartedly, giving the best for the audiences, specially Gfriend’s fans. 

After performing two songs continuously, they had a short break to catch up their breath while introducing themselves and the songs they are performing next. SinB still has not given up on her quest. Her eyes wanders around, hoping she would see Handyman Oppa among the sea of people now screaming each one of their names. Again, she smiles and and waves her hand, providing her fans with a cute pose for them to take pictures of her. She had her eyes on every corner and every faces that her eyesight allow her to, but still she could not find her long awaited ‘oppa’. 

Finally, she found the person she was fervently looking for the last twenty minutes as she has loss all her hopes and willing to see Handyman Oppa. SinB coldly passes the oppa who is smiling warmly to her, going straight to the waiting room leaving the older woman confused. 

Handyman Oppa just stand there confused with SinB’s treatment towards her. Eunha brushing her arms softly finally bring her back to reality. Eunha lightly hold onto her arm and pull Handyman Oppa with her when she walks towards the waiting room. Both of them walk slowly without saying anything as they had something in their minds. Eunha lets go of Handyman Oppa’s hand as they approach the waiting room and they are the last one to enter the room.

”Look who decides to finally show up.” SinB said it out loud as if announcing Handyman Oppa’s arrival with an obvious angry and annoyed tones. 

Handyman Oppa was about to say something but Sowon was quicker than her announcing a shocking suggestion.

”Well oppa, I don’t like you...making the girls sad because you broke your promise. I guess you have to buy us dinner then. Dinner for everyone including the manager oppas and stylist unnies and of course my dear friend who actually watch and enjoy out performance, unlike you. And I think it would be best to have soegogi after all of our hardwork. How about it girls?” said Sowon smirking at the older woman.

”I was there...” said Handyman Oppa, confused with what just happened.

”Oh really? I didn’t see you when we first got on stage. Did any of you saw this oppa when we performed just now?” SinB looks around the room making an eye contact with every single person in the room with her sharp eyes and annoyed face.

Silence. No one dares to move, nor say anything. Sowon’s dear friend, Nayoung probably held her breath even. Handyman Oppa look at the youngest manager and her eyes widened that he didn’t say anything. The man that is two years younger than her mouthed ‘sorry’, bringing his palm together like in a praying position while shaking his head repeatedly. She then turn her head and looking straight to Yerin who is standing a few steps behind SinB. Yerin quickly avoided Handyman Oppa’s gaze.

”Soegogi it is. Manager-nim, can you call the restaurant and reserve our tables? Uhh maybe you should call the CEO as well. I don’t think oppa would mind.” Sowon look at Handyman Oppa who just nods her head.

Sowon smiles and cheering her heart out which then followed by Yerin, Yuju and Umji. Handyman Oppa sits beside Eunha and tries to make eye contact with SinB who seems to avoid her at all cause. She ends up sitting there for half an hour while waiting for the girls to change into a more comfortable clothes. 

“Oppa, you get us these flowers? They are so beautiful.” said Umji, the first among the girls that finally noticed the bouquet that has been laying on the table for a good one hour. Handyman Oppa nodded her head weakly.

The young manager which Handyman Oppa make eye contact earlier approaches her and said he was sorry he didn’t say anything which she replied with ‘it’s okay, don’t worry.’ He then give the older woman the name of the restaurant and the address as they will be going separately. She asks if he has already called the CEO and he said yes and notified her that he will be there as well. Handyman Oppa nods her head and lean back on the couch. 

Handyman Oppa stares blankly at the ceiling of the noisy waiting room trying to relive the moment an hour ago in front of the stage. She did not expect this would happen. But, she cannot complain or say that SinB is completely wrong.

She did missed the first few lines of the girls’ first song that they performed just now. She was in the toilet earlier and she got to the place of the event just as the music started. There were a lot of people and she tried her best making her way through the crowds to stand the closest to the stage.

There she stood, enjoying the performance and captured a few pictures when the second song finishes and the girls were introducing themselves. Then, the young girl next to her who was sitting on her father’s shoulder dropped something. Handyman Oppa, being a helpful person, got down on her knees trying to find it. By the time she got back up, the girls had lined up for their third song. Every single person in front of the stage enjoyed the performance including Handyman Oppa.

When the girls got off the stage, Handyman Oppa quickly make her way through the crowds heading towards the hallway leading from backstage to the waiting room. She waited with the brightest and proud smile, only to be brushed off by an angry SinB. Handyman Oppa, usually a smart and a quick thinker was dumbfounded by the cold treatment she received just slowly followed the girls to the waiting room. Upon her arrival only she knew what was the cause of SinB being cold as ice towards her.

And, here they are, Handyman Oppa trying to get SinB’s attention to explain to her what happened, SinB avoiding any attempts from Handyman Oppa to communicate with her, while the Gfriend members cheering happily thinking of the delicious beef dinner awaiting for them. 

*****

Handyman Oppa greets the CEO of Gfriend’s music company who is sitting at second table they reserved at the BBQ restaurant. Also sitting at the table are the managers and the sylist. Handyman Oppa says her thank you to the young CEO for coming to dinner.

“Mr. CEO I would like to ask your permission to befriend the girls.” Handyman Oppa carefully lays out the words she have been organised in her mind.

”What? Prof, you are not seriously asking me that, are you?” 

“Boss, I approve this. She is not some weird person or anything, she is a professor. Plus, she is an adult, so we can ask for her help at anytime to look after the girls. She has her own transport, live in her own place, her working time is also flexible. It’s good to have her around.” The youngest manager answered the CEO’s question although it was directed to Handyman Oppa.

”Yah! Who’s working for the company? You or her? Do you want me to hire her instead of you?” The young CEO slapped the youngest manager’s head while the others laughed.

”Prof., I don’t mind if they befriended you. It should be okay.” 

“Don’t call me that. I don’t even use that title at the university. It’s just probably I will go out for dinner or going to the mall with them and someone might post the pictures, so I just want to get your permission and let you know in advance.” Handyman Oppa explains.

”Ahhh. Okay. And what should I call you then? I don’t think Handyman Oppa applies for us...” The CEO nods his head and scratches his head thinking how uncomfortable for him to call a woman, and she is younger than him by a few years ‘oppa’. He can’t bring himself to even try to say it.

”D. Just call me D.” Handyman Oppa smiles. 

While Handyman Oppa chats with the managers and stylist, she glances over the next table where the girls are happily grilling the meat and eating. Handyman Oppa’s and SinB’s eyes met. Just as the older woman’s lip about to curl into a smile, SinB turn away with an angry and annoying expression. Handyman Oppa quietly sighed and cheerfully asked the staffs to enjoy their food before making her way to her seat at the girls’ table. She sat down  at the end of the table besides Eunha, in front of Yerin who is sitting next to SinB.

The girls and Handyman Oppa are talking and eating, but it was obvious that SinB is avoiding and ignoring Handyman Oppa whenever she said something. Eunha and Sowon try their best avoiding each other when they talk. Probably the girls did not notice that but it was obvious to Handyman Oppa who was thinking if something had happened between the Gfriend’s leader and main vocal. She realised something must have happened when she remembered that Eunha did not smile and playfully joking with Sowon when they performed “Rough” earlier. 

Handyman Oppa was just halfway through her food when SinB who just got back from the restroom suddenly stands up and said she wanted to go home. The older woman almost chocked on the meat when SinB shoot a dagger-sharped stares at her and then at Yerin. Although SinB didn’t say it explicitly, Handyman Oppa take that her stare is the cue for her to be the one getting her home. Plus, everyone else is still enjoying their food including the youngest manager whose all eyes are on him. 

Handyman Oppa just tilt her head a bit signalling the youngest manager to continue eating while she take one last bite of her rice, stands up and walks toward the counter to pay the bills. Yerin follows her to the counter and while waiting for their turn, Yerin whispers to Handyman Oppa, “I told SinB I saw you earlier.”

”Ehh, why?” Handyman Oppa asks.

”I saw how she treated you and I felt guilty, I couldn’t enjoy my food.” Yerin explains and Handyman Oppa nods her head a few times.

Handyman Oppa pays the bill, then she walks toward the youngest Gfriend’s manager who by this time has already been like a friend to her. She taps his shoulder and hold out her hand towards him.

”Let me borrow your car to drive SinB home. You can take my motorcycle and we’ll swap back at the girls’ home later.” Handyman Oppa whispers to the man’s ear.

The younger man just nods his head and pull out a car key from his pocket before hand it to Handyman Oppa. He pointed out his hand to the back of the restaurant while saying where the car is parked. Handyman Oppa then nods and bid her goodbye to the CEO and the staffs. 

Yerin was about to go and sit back in her original seat when Handyman Oppa hold her forearms lightly, preventing her from doing so. The older woman whispered to her ‘I don’t know the address, please come with me’ to which she reluctantly agrees to. Yerin just stands there weakly staring at the meats that are being grilled and her empty plates while waiting for the oppa bidding her goodbye to her CEO and managers.

She has eaten a good amount of the grilled meat and other food that her stomach is not empty, but not enough to satisfy her appetite tonight. Realising what leads to SinB wanted to go back home is part of her doing, she begins to accept the fact she is also going back home early half-heartedly. Yerin let out a heavy sigh when she saw Yuju chewing the ‘just off the grill’ hot and delicious grilled beef.

SinB just scoffed when Handyman Opppa asked her to wait in the restaurant while she gets the car. She was getting angrier and annoyed when she overheard Handyman Oppa whispered to Yerin that she does not know their home address. Then, she saw Handyman Oppa getting a car key from one of the manager.

She was able to hold it in earlier when she learnt that the older woman watched the football match that she specifically asked her not to and even recorded the match for her to watch some other time. She overheard it when the older woman was talking to the CEO and the managers earlier after greeting the man. SinB was about to forgive Handyman Oppa for being late but when she heard they were talking about the game, she became angrier. Now, borrowing other people’s car and not knowing where she lives making her even more furious that she scoffs in disbelieve to the oppa’s gentleman and sweet gestures of asking her to wait inside the restaurant while she gets the car because it will be cold if she waits outside or walk with her to the car.

“I don’t feel like eating. I want to go home too. Do you mind if I tag along SinB?”

Eunha sudden question prevents SinB from giving the oppa her piece of mind that is currently pissed at the oldest woman among them. SinB nods her head and say ‘of course you can’ responding to Eunha. But, that only stopped her for a second from expressing her anger towards Handyman Oppa, and Yerin who offers to go with the older woman to the car, most likely in attempt to avoid her.

”The one who sold me for a football game and does not know where I live, and the one who sold me for a seogogi dinner. Going together to get the car, a borrowed car. Huh!” SinB said angrily, as quietly as possible while clenching her teeth, but clear and loud enough for the people the words are meant for to hear.

Both Handyman Oppa and Yerin gulped upon hearing those words. They are only tasting a part of SinB’s fury and they knew there are a whole lot more waiting for them. It seems like there are continuous flaming arrows shooting from SinB’s eyes that are now glaring at them. seems like it would spit fire if she opens it. However, unbeknown to Handyman Oppa, Yerin and SinB, the sight of a furios SinB and the sword-sharped words is turning both the oppa and Yerin.

Like a synchronised dance move, Handyman Oppa and Yerin shakes their head rapidly in attempt to get the ually-driven image of the the furious SinB they are imagining out of their mind. They quickly bowed their heads, bid their goodbye and walk out of the restaurant. They both gulped one last time and smile thinking about what just happened. Both Yerin and Handyman Oppa smiles back to the other person without knowing that they are actually thinking about the same thing.

****

Eunha clings onto SinB’s arm when they bid their goodbye to the rest of the girls who are still eating. She walks out of the room without even glance over Sowon who is happily chatting with Nayoung, her friend that she invited to their show and dinner. Eunha and SinB got into the borrowed car that has been waiting for them in front of the restaurant. They sit at the back seat in silence. Handyman Oppa’s eyes focus on the road and the people walking om the sidewalks next to the road. Eunha was a bit scared at first seeing how relaxed the oppa sits and drives with only one hand on the steering, another one rested on the door and eyes wondering around alternating between the road ahead of them and the people walking on the sidewalks. But, she was relieved when she saw Handyman Oppa skilfully take over a stalled car in front of them.

All the girls are a bit shocked when the volume of the radio was turned up, breaking the silence. The girls are more surprised when they saw Handyman Oppa nodding her head, moving her upper body to the sound of the music playing on the radio. To Eunha’s surprise, the oppa is singging along to the song, one of her favourite song, the one she listened to on repeat this morning on their way to work. The girls just listen but could not help but to sing along with the older woman when the song came to its . 

“Chanihan! Yojara!” Everyone except SinB started to scream and sing along to the song, ‘Tears’ by So Chan Wee.

Yerin and Eunha laughs when the song ended. The song is just too catchy to be ignored and they laughs because Handyman Oppa’s face and voice are just too funny when she sings the high notes’ parts. The song ended the silence in the car. Eunha began to share with Handyman Oppa about the song being her favourite and Yerin also shares her favourite songs. They ask the oppa what genre of music she listens to. To their surprise, the older woman actually listens to almost everything except for classical music or piano instrumentals. She said she is tone deaf to appreciate those piece of musics.

****

They arrive at the apartment building safely with everyone laughing and talking except for SinB who has been quite ever since she got into the car. SinB got off the car and walks toward the lift leaving the rest of the girls behind. 

“SinB...”

SinB heard her name was called by Handyman Oppa but she just ignores it and continue walking. But, the person calling her name was quick on her feet and catched up to her. Handyman Oppa pinches SinB’s jacket sleeve to get ahold of the girl causing her to stop walking. SinB turns around facing the older woman and glares at her which resulted in the older woman immediately releasing her jacket. Without saying anything, she just continue walking towards the lift and the older woman just walk behind her in silence. The four of them get into the lift and then walk to their apartment unit in silence. SinB goes straight into her room leaving everyone else especially Handyman Oppa in a daze.

Handyman Oppa plopped down on the couch in the living room as soon as Yerin and Eunha invited her to. They excused themselves to wash their makeup off and asked the older woman to get comfortable and even switch on the TV for her while they washed themselves. Handyman Oppa switch the channel and settle on some variety show. She watched the show and laughed occasionally.

“Hey oppa, what are you watching?” asked Yerin who is now in her pyjama.

”Oh, some variety show. You can switch the channel, I don’t mind. I just settle on this one because I don’t know what to watch.” Handyman Oppa scoots over to make room for Yerin and hands her the remote control.

”Uhh, I am watching this drama. Do you want to watch it?” Yerin plops down beside Handyman Oppa while taking the remote control.

”Sure.” Handyman Oppa nods her head in agreement.

Yerin changes the channel and both of them watch the drama with great interest as the characters in the drama are yelling at one another. Since this is Handyman Oppa’s first time watching the drama, she was confused but just watch it without asking anything. Eunha who came out of her room after taking a shower sits beside Handyman Oppa and watch the drama but with less interest. Her eyes are on the TV but her mind is not.

”Oppa, did you really missed our performance earlier?” asked Eunha who can’t seem to be taking any interest at all with the drama.

”No. I was there. I did missed the first few lines of the first song as I was walking from the toilet.” Handyman Oppa answered calmly.

”Ehh? Didn’t SinB said you missed it?” asked the confused Eunha.

”I guess she didn’t see me there. There’s a lot of people and I usually just stand in the crowd enjoying the performance. I don’t scream or anything, so I don’t stand out among the crowds. When I first arrived at the place, I chatted with your manager, the one that I borrowed the car just now. We talked about our motorbike while walking to the waiting room. You girls have already on standby at the backstage, so I just left the flowers there. Then, I got a stomachache, so I went to the toilet. By the time I got to the stage, your girls have already started. I went through the crowds and stands at the left corner of the stage. I was actually there the whole time.” Handyman Oppa explains in detail.

”Uhuh. It’s true. I saw oppa earlier. She boringly waved at me.” said Yerin while putting her left hand up, imitating the way the older woman waved at her earlier.

”Ohhh. Wait, you didn’t say anything when she asked in the waiting room if anyone saw oppa...”

“Well, Sowon unnie has already suggested oppa should buy us soegogi for dinner, so I was kind of swayed over for the food. And it got me bad. Well, SinB is mad at me. And here we are watching drama at home, feeling a bit hungry.” Yerin rubs her stomach signifies the last bit of her explanation.

”Actually, I’m hungry too. I didn’t get to eat much.” As if waiting for its cue, Handyman Oppa’s stomach grumbles.

”I can cook you something if you want anything to eat?” offers Eunha.

”But, there’s nothing in the fridge or the freezer. We’ve been caught up with practice that we didn’t do our grocery.” Yerin said with a frowning lips.

”Do you think it’s okay if we go out and buy something? I can go for some bibimbap. I think I saw there’s a restaurant or food stall nearby? Or we can get something from the convenience store. I really am hungry. I guess everything I ate for lunch went out earlier.” 

“Euwww. You’re disgusting oppa!” both Yerin and Eunha exclaimed and then giggles.

”What?? It’s true. I just had to eat the spicy kimchi egg sandwich that my client prepared. I usually can eat spicy things. But I guess the combination doesn’t work for me.” Handyman Oppa shakes her head rapidly trying not to remember the awful tasted sandwich.

”Just why on earth did you eat it then?” Eunha asked laughing at the fact that the wise woman would eat something as weird as that.

”Well, I have to show that I support him. Everyone else stopped after a bite and spit it out. I can’t be doing the same thing. Otherwise he would have lost his confidence and motivation to continue what he was doing.” 

“You are so nice. If it was me, I would not have touch it.” Eunha shakes her head repeatedly.

”Well, that’s part of the job. I didn’t say it was good. I explicitly said that the recipe needs some changes as everyone else including his parents could not even eat it. It was too spicy for Korean, and since I’m not Korean, I could handle the heat. That’s how I say the food is bad but I say it nicely. I have to with them.” 

Eunha and Yerin was listening with interests and they ended up asking the oppa with tonnes of questions about her work. Handyman Oppa describes her work which involves teaching, research and clinical or therapy sessions with clients. The complexity of Handyman Oppa’s work left them in awe.

”Did you do all that? By yourselves? And yet, you still have time to come to our show and all?” Yerin asked in disbelief.

”I have several research project teams, most of the time we conducted our research in a team. Sometimes I do ask my teaching assistant to help me with students assignments. While I do have a clinical team, I usually have sessions with my client on my own, either it’s one-on-one or group sessions, rarely the other clinicians do a joint session with me. I didn’t get to go to every single one of your performance. But, when the time suits my schedule, I usually go and watch you girls perform. Sometimes if it’s outside of Seoul, I did go to some of it because I was in the area. My working hour is flexible, I don’t have to go to the office everyday. And sometimes I have lectures, and programs outside of Seoul, in other provinces.” 

Yerin and Eunha then asked the older woman which events that she went to, the fan sign events she attended. Surprisingly, Handyman Oppa went to a lot of their events but both Yerin and Eunha could not remember seeing her in any of those events. Handyman Oppa just smiles and said that she usually just stands or sits in the crowd in silence without making much moves or scream their name out loud.

”Uhh, shall we go out and get the food now? So it wouldn’t be too late.” Handyman Oppa suggested as the grumbling sounds of Yerin’s stomach and hers are performing a concert.

”Let’s go!!! Oh, I’ll ask SinB if she wants to come with us.” Yerin get off the couch heading to the younger girl’s room with Eunha.

Handyman Oppa just stayed on the couch, getting her phone and wallet that she placed on the coffee table in front of her. 

“She’s sleeping. Let’s go and be quick so we won’t leave her alone too long.” Yerin said as soon she she got out from the room. 

The three of them just walk as they are only going to get some bibimbap from the nearest restaurant five minutes from the apartment building. In just thirty minutes they already got their food and get back to the dorm. They unpack the food and eat in front of the TV while chatting. 

“Oppa, aren’t you going to tell SinB what happened?” Eunha stops eating and ask Handyman Oppa.

”She is still angry right now. It doesn’t matter what you say to an angry women, they would not hear you out. Plus, it’s not like she is totally wrong. True that I was not there when you started the performance. And she didn’t see me in the crowds, even during the break. It’s just so happen that I was on my knees picking up something the girl besides me dropped  earlier. And I did watch the game but just a bit because I couldn’t sleep. On top of everything, I don’t have my car tonight that I had to borrow from someone else. So, I understand why she is furious at me.” Handyman Oppa said while stuffing the bibimbap into .

”Well, it’s not your fault. Do you always ride your motorbike to work?” Eunha asks.

”Yes. The traffic is bad especially in the morning, so it is easier for me. I was going to drive this morning actually because I don’t have any early meeting or class. But, I was called to the hospital because of an emergency. That’s why I had to ride on my motorbike.” 

“See. It’s not your fault. If you told her, I’m sure she would understand and stop being mad at you.” Eunha is still not satisfied with the oppa’s response.

”Well, I don’t mind. I mean, I don’t know. Sometimes, I just don’t. I’ll just let her be mad at me. I don’t mind even if it’s not totally my fault.” 

“Why? why aren’t you going to defend yourself?  You don’t even bother to at least explain to her. Do you think it’s not worth your time and energy?” Now it’s Yerin turn to get angry at the oppa’s lack of enthusiasm to set things straight with SinB.

”I did. I tried. But, I guess she is still quite mad, so I just thought I’ll let her cool down.”

”Okay. I got that part. But, are you going to explains to her what happened?” Yerin asks.

”Maybe not. I say sorry and I will try harder not to do it again.” Handyman Oppa now stops eating and leans on the couch.

”Why? I can’t understand why won’t you tell her what happened.” Yerin asked again frustrated with what the oppa has decided to do.

”It’s not going to change anything. Maybe she would feel bad about getting mad at me if she knew. Why would I want to make her feel bad? So, I’ll just apologise and tries to keep my promises next time.”

”I don’t get it. I still don’t get it.” Yerin shakes her head repeatedly like a frustrated child.

”Someday you will.” Handyman Oppa said while pinching the mochi-like cheeks of Yerin. Yerin pouted .

”We always have to pick our fight carefully. Sometimes, you have to fight to make the person realise how important you are in their life and how much love there is between the two of you. Sometimes, you just have to be the one accepting the blame because it’s not worth the pain from the hurtful fight. Just bear in mind, if you really do love that person, even when you are fighting, don’t do something that could really hurt the other person or your relationship such as don’t go and cheat on that person just to teach them a lesson that there are people who would want to date you besides them.” 

Handyman Oppa glances over to Eunha to see her reaction because unbeknownst to the younger girl, she actually directed the words to her. Eunha was nodding her head weakly a few times while her eyes are still glued to the bibimbap which have been something she plays with her chopsticks instead of food that she eats. 

“I guess they are going to be late. Do you girls mind if I crash on your couch tonight? I don’t like riding my motorbike late at night.” Handyman Oppa asked breaking the silence following her last words about choosing a fight.

”Yeah, sure. I’ll get you a blanket later. I’m sure they don’t mind either.” Yerin responded as Eunha is still looking down at her food.

Handyman Oppa Eunha’s spine gently to reassure her that everything is alright although the younger girl didn’t say anything. Eunha lifts her head slowly exposing her teary eyes. Upon seeing the warmth smile and understanding gaze of Handyman Oppa, she buries her head on the older woman’s chest, slightly below her shoulder because of their differences in height. Yerin was shocked, trying to ask her friend why is she crying but halted mid-sentence when Handyman Oppa shakes her head signalling her not to. 

Eunha let her tears running down from her eyes onto the oppa’s shirt. She didn’t say anything, neither do the oppa and Yerin. Only her shoulder moves up and down. The oppa wraps her arm around Eunha petite body and occasionally her back reassuring Eunha that she is there for her and things will be okay. Those are the feelings that Eunha get from the older woman’s wordless actions making her feel comfortable to let out all her sadness, frustration and fears that she had been holding in since yesterday.

It seems like Eunha had a whole water reserved-worth of tears that she can feel the oppa’s skin underneath her shirt that is now soaking wet with her tears. This causes her to lift her head that has been buried for who knows how long only to be welcomed with a pair of Yerin’s eyes looking at her worriedly. Eunha smiles weakly at Yerin.

She could not look at the oppa whose arm is still wrapped around her body, settled to just stares blankly at the oppa’s body. That is when she noticed a see-through patch around the chest area of the oppa’s shirt, soaking wet with her tears. She quickly apologise while rubbing the part of the older woman’s shirt with her hand repeatedly.

”Are you done crying? Did you let it all out?” Handyman Oppa asks Eunha who is trying to somehow dries her shirt by rubbing it with her hands. But, Handyman Oppa didn’t stop her, she just let her be.

The loving, calm and soothing voice of Handyman Oppa combines with her gentle caress on Eunha’s back causes the younger girl to sob and let out another stream of tears. She leans on the older woman’s body again, aiming for the same spot her head has been occupied not more than a minute ago. The older woman turns her body slightly and gently directed Eunha’s head to her other shoulder, the one that is still dry.

”That side is soaking wet already. This side is still dry.” Handyman Oppa said as she moves.

Eunha chuckles in the middle of her cries. She managed to smack Handyman Oppa on the chest a couple of times. The older woman just flinch a bit and ruffle Eunha’s hair. She stayed in the older woman’s warm embrace, letting out all her tears that seem to have lessen from a waterfall-like to a calm stream-like intensity. She could feel that Yerin is worriedly looking at her, so she reached out her hand and entangled it with Yerin’s. She rubs her thumbs over Yerin’s to reassure her not to worry about her. The three of them stayed in the same position for who knows how long but then was forced to let go of each other when they heard a door being slammed. 

Eunha lifted her head and it is apparent to the two new audiences that she has been crying because her eyes are puffy and her face is swollen. Yuju and Umji, the new audiences are surprised when they first look at Eunha who was leaning on Handyman Oppa’s chest with her hands intertwined with Yerin while the oppa’s arm is wrapped around her body. Now, they are even more surprised when they saw Eunha’s post-crying face.

The two of them immediately hugs Eunha and started to ask her questions why is she crying, what happened, is she okay and all sorts of questions they can think of. Eunha just shakes her head weakly and smiles, a somewhat sad smile. She didn’t say anything and just hug the two girls back. Yerin was also pulled into the group hug. Umji turns to face Handyman Oppa and told her that their manager is waiting for her downstairs to get his car key.

Handyman Oppa said okay and before she leave the girls, she squeezes Yerin’s hand and told her she is going to meet the manager downstairs. Yerin smiles and nods her head mouthed ‘okay’ to the older woman. She also mouthed the passcode for their dorm’s front door so the oppa could let herself in when she comes back. Handyman Oppa then said her thank you and reached for her jacket and the car key before leaving the girls who are still in a tight group hug.

*****

”Hey, here is your key. Thank you so much.” Handyman Oppa hands in the key to the youngest manager among the Gfriend’s managers.

”And this is yours. Are you going home now?” The manager asks with a concern look while glancing over his watch that shows the time now is 11.15 pm.

”No, it’s late. I don’t like to ride this late at night. I’m crashing on the girls’ couch tonight.”

”Ohh, yes. That would be best. Sorry about earlier, I don’t dare say anything to SinB, she would get angry at me too if I do.” The men apologise and explains his action.

“It’s okay. I get it. I bet all of you had it in your calendar right? For each one of them. This is her time of the month, am I right?” Handyman Oppa just smiles when she ask the men to which he responded with an exciting nods.

”You know that as well? Did you do the same?” One of the manager who is also there ask with great interest.

”Of course! It’s one of the essential things you have to note down when you are close with women. But, I only got SinB’s. Do you mind sharing with me the other girls’ as well?” Handyman Oppa asks while unlocking her phone and taps on the calendar apps.

The youngest manager hold out his phone to Handyman Oppa with the calendar apps is already on the screen.

”It’s Sowon’s time too. So, when she said about dinner, we just went along. I think she is even scarier than SinB when they are about to or are on their period. Eunha sometimes can be sensitive and emotional, she could easily cry.”

The other manager shares his experiences with Handyman Oppa while she copies the information about the girls’ time of the month, where majority of women in the world would have their personality changes. Women on their period or few days before they have their period is a force to be reckon with. This is sometimes the most crucial time of the month where people around them should be aware of to avoid any unnecessary painful, emotional encounter. 

“Oh, by the way, is SinB still mad?” The youngest manager asks.

”I guess so. She didn’t even look at me, let alone talking to me. Uhh, and this brings me to my next request of help. Let’s go the market, I wanted to buy some groceries and cook breakfast and lunch for them. I was really hungry earlier but Yerin said there is nothing in the fridge. Let’s go.” Handyman Oppa started to walk but the two managers are still standing in the same spot.

”Don’t worry. I’m going to pay for the groceries. I just need a ride.” Upon hearing that the two managers than follow the older woman walking towards the car she borrowed earlier.

They went to the nearest supermarket that is still open and goes in to get a full cart of groceries for the girls. When the managers are picking up things while naming who is it for, or sharing the facts which food are they allowed to eat right now when they are actively promoting, when they have tight schedules, and when they are on a break preparing for a comeback. Handyman Oppa listens carefully while making mental notes of all the information the two men shared.

”Guys, do Eunha get letters threatening her or is there any obsessive fan of hers?” Handyman Oppa asks that brings the two men’s walking to a stop. Their eyes widened.

”Why?” They ask her back.

”I am not 100% sure, but I think someone is watching her and waiting for her at the apartment building.” Handyman Oppa said calmly and casually while pushing the trolley that is filled with various kinds of foods leaving the snacks isle towards the meat section.

”What?!” The two managers asked in shock.

”I saw a guy, not sure of his age, wandering around near the front gate of the apartment. Then, I noticed the same guy was following us when we went out to buy some bibimbap earlier. He didn’t follow us too close, so people might think he is just walking in the same direction as us. Yerin was also there, but I noticed that he was looking at Eunha and not Yerin when we stopped by at a convenience store to pick up some drinks. I didn’t get a clear look of his face because he was wearing a black hoodie and a cap over his head. Could you guys look into it? It’s worrisome. But, don’t tell the girls first, just check it out first and we should take the necessary actions before telling them anything. And be vigilant. While he doesn’t seem dangerous as for now, but we would never know what’s in his mind.” Handyman Oppa shares what happened earlier.

”Uhhh this is bad. She does receives letters and gifts from those kind of fans. We never gave it to her though. We never knew they would do something like this. Wait, are you worried or not? You don’t seem like you are.” The manager asks as he was confused with how calm the older woman was when she reported to them the incident.

”I am. I just have the ability to stay calm and collected when facing things like this. I can even say things that worries me the most calmly. That’s part of my work. Oh, believe me, I am extremely worried about it. So, please let the other managers and your CEO know about this and do something.”

The two men nodded their head with a concern look on their faces. One of them quickly gets his phone of his pocket while the other one is busy helping Handyman Oppa unloads the trolley at the checkout counter. They drive home in silence after the quick shopping and a shocking report from Handyman Oppa. Although they didn’t say anything, but their fingers are all busy typing on their phone, probably discussing about what they just heard from the older woman who volunteered to drive.

When they arrived at the main entrance of the apartment building where they need to swipe the access card or register as visitor at the security’s office, Handyman Oppa pointed at a man wearing a black hoodie and a cap who  was looking at their car through the rearview mirror. The two men look at both the rearview mirror and side mirror cautiously and were shocked that the person Handyman Oppa said is looking and examining their car, as if he is trying to find someone and immediately runs off when he saw the driver’s door is opening.

”Why would you do that?!” The youngest manager screams at Handyman Oppa once she has parked the car.

”What? He is not the only one who can check us out. Two can play the game.” Handyman Oppa said calmly while getting out of the car.

The three of them carry the bags full of groceries and went to the lift. The two managers still can’t believe what they saw and how could they missed it before this. They didn’t know since when the black hoodie guy has been lurking around the girls’ apartment building and the thought of something bad could have happened frightened them. Even more so when the words Handyman Oppa said earlier ringing in their ears. “We promised their parents that we would do our best to protect and do what’s best for their daughters when they hand them under our care. So, we should do just that.”

”Wait, you are cooking breakfast and lunch for the girls. That means you and SinB makes up already?” The youngest manager suddenly ask when they just got out of the lift. 

“No. I think she is still mad at me.” Handyman Oppa answered nonchalantly.

”What? Didn’t you explain to her that you were there the whole time?” He asks.

”No.” 

“What? Why?” Again he asks because of the older woman’s unsatisfactory response to him.

”She is not talking to me. So, I don’t talk to her. I just said two can play the game, didn’t I” 

“I though you were a smart person.” The man said while shaking his head a few times.

”I am. That’s why I am doing this.” 

The two men are more confused then they were before but could not say anything as Eunha is welcoming them as soon as they opened the door. That causes them to flustered and they quickly put the bags in the kitchen before bid their goodbye.

”Thank you for helping us out, manager-nim.” Eunha thanked the two men and was surprised with their response.

”No, it’s our job to do so. We will try our best for you. Then, good night. Have a good rest. Bye.” The men then leave the baffled girl.

*****