My ‘yoejachingu’

Do you love me?

SinB could not take her eyes off the older woman who dressed way more smarts than she always does. This is actually her first time seeing the older woman dressed formally. Handyman Oppa wears a navy  blue suit with a  light blue shirt underneath matched with a dark algae green tie. She even wears a brown leather shoes with red shoe laces. Although she is feeling upset because the older woman is all dressed up just for dinner with Eunha’s parents,  the older woman still manage to capture her eyes and heart.

“Oh? Your parents are coming too? I didn’t know that. I have to go and buy my future parents in law something. I’ll be back as quick as I can.” Handyman Oppa puts on her shoes back and ready to leave as she smiles teasingly at SinB who is turning red. SinB’s anger that has been build up for days, just melted away.

“No. Come in.” SinB grabs the older woman’s wrist and pull her closer with her head still looking down as she could not look at Handyman Oppa who is grinning like a fool. Handyman Oppa move her hand a bit and interlace her fingers with SinB’s. Fortunately the younger girl who is currently walking in front of her doesn’t resist. Unfortunately, the living room is only five steps from the front door. Handyman Oppa does not want this moment where she and SinB holding hands for the first time to end, so she purposely stops when the living room is only a step away.

It seems like SinB might feels the same as the younger girl also stops walking and they just stand there without saying anything, savouring the moment. SinB suddenly lets go of Handyman Oppa’s hand and she then figure out why when Yerin greets her. Handyman Oppa feels like her heart being stabbed by a sharp dagger but still manage to shoot the girl a smile.

”Hi oppa, when did you get here? Woah! You are all dressed up like someone who is meeting their parents in law for the first time.” Yerin’s mouth opens wide as she gives the older woman a thumbs up. 

“Hi. Just now. I have a meeting at the office today.” Handyman Oppa smiles at Yerin who stops in the middle of walking from her room to the bathroom.

”Why aren’t you sitting down? Eunha is not going to be here in another twenty minutes. Make yourself at home. Ahh, meeting. No wonder you look worn out.” Yerin smiles at Handyman Oppa and SinB for the last time before disappears behind the bathroom door.

”Had a busy day at work?” SinB still standing, asks the older woman who just plopped down on the couch. 

“Rough day.” Handyman Oppa answers as her lips formed a bitter smile.

”That bad? Do you want something to drink?” asked SinB.

“Black tea sounds good? I think Eunha got some when we went for grocery shopping last week.” 

“Oh? Well I guess Eunha unnie knows what kind of tea you like. Emm.” SinB pouts, crossing her arms, showing no intention of fulfilling the older woman’s request.

“You could be the person who makes the best black tea?” Oppa asks with a cheeky smile causing SinB to chuckle before went to the kitchen and boils some water for the tea.

Handyman Oppa leans her back against the soft, fluffy sofa, closing her eyes while waiting for SinB and her tea. Someone sits besides Handyman Oppa causing her to open her eyes to see who is it. Sowon. She sits upright and stares at the TV.

”Why are you here again? Why can’t you just leave me and Eunha alone? Do you have to be here? Just leave. You are the reason that Eunha and I fight. Just leave us alone.”

Although Sowon did not look at Handyman Oppa, the older woman knew Sowon was talking to her. Unfortunately, today is the wrong day for Sowon to put all the blames on Handyman Oppa and expect her to just accept everything without a word of rebuttal. Handyman Oppa turns around facing Sowon and as quietly as she can, she responded to what Sowon just said to her. 

“I didn’t put the words in your mouth. You were the one suspecting Eunha and questioned her love for you. Why is it my fault? And why should I leave when Eunha parents invited me to dinner? You have all these things to say to me but you can’t even say you were sorry to Eunha. And that is my fault too? I’m sorry but today is not a good day to make me take all the blames.” 

Handyman Oppa could feel that she might bursts out with anger if she stays there. Being blamed over something that is clearly not wrong for her to do is a bit too much for her today as she just had to defend her at the office over something similar the whole day, and this right now could easily cause her to lose her cool. So, she decides that it would be the best for both Sowon and her if she gets out of the house for the time being. Handyman Oppa stands up and ready to leave.

”SinB, I’m going out for a while. I’ll be back.” Handyman Oppa said as she walks out of the living room towards the front door.

SinB could see the older woman’s face is bright red. She has never seen Handyman Oppa like this before but anyone could tell from the facial expression that this person is angry about something.

”Oppa, the tea is ready. Come, let’s drink it together outside, on the balcony.” SinB said as she puts down the mug on the kitchen counter and quickly walks toward the older woman who is already at the front door.

”You said you quit. Please don’t. Where is it?” SinB hold the older woman’s hand with one hand and holds out the other asking for something.

”I don’t have it with me.” Handyman Oppa simply responded.

”Is it in your car then?” SinB asks while fishing out Handyman Oppa’s car key from the older woman’s pant’s pocket. 

“No. I don’t have it with me.” said Handyman Oppa weakly and just stares at the wall behind SinB.

”You are going to buy it then?!” SinB let out a sigh while taking out Handyman Oppa’s wallet that she puts in her pant’s back pocket. 

“Come with me. We’ll drink the tea I just made. Okay? Hey, look at me.” 

Handyman Oppa slowly moves her head down to met SinB’s eyes, exposing her worn out expression. Handyman Oppa’s expression that was full of anger has gone, she just look worn out and somewhat sad. SinB asks the older woman again, “okay? let’s go.” Just as the older woman nods her head weakly, SinB pulls her and walks towards the balcony. 

SinB asks the older woman to sit while she gets the tea she made just now. Handyman Oppa sits on one of the chair, facing outside, staring at the sky. 

“Uhmm. Thank you for the tea, Bi.” Handyman Oppa immediately picks up the mug filled with black tea that SinB just puts on the table in front of her. She blows out to cool the tea down before takes a sip.

”Do you want to talk about it?” SinB asks looking at the older woman concernedly. 

Handyman Oppa shakes her head couple of times. She continues to drink the now warm black tea. Handyman Oppa puts down the mug after she drinks up half of the tea.

”Thank you for being in my life.” Handyman Oppa takes SinB’s hand and looks straight into her eyes.

”You said you already quit. You said now that you have me, you don’t think about it anymore. What happened?” SinB asks again.

”I haven’t thought about it in a long time. Today is just a bit rough. I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.”

”You know you can talk about it with me, right?” SinB still tries to get the older woman to opens up and tell her what has been bothering her.

”I know. I don’t want to burden you with it. It’s going to be okay.” Handyman Oppa smiles at SinB and softly caresses the younger girl’s cheeks.

”You just did. It must have been so bad that you even think about going out for a smoke. You told me you quit smoking, or did you lie to me?” SinB hold the older woman’s hand tightly.

”I did. I just wanted to get some air, I wasn’t going to smoke. Well, it is bad but I got you now. You should not have to worry about those things. I’ll be okay.” Handyman Oppa tries to reassure the worried girl by smiling brightly at the girl.

”If you don’t tell me, how can I help to make you feel better?” SinB sounds a bit frustrated as she wanted to help but she can’t if she doesn’t know what it was about.

”Do you remember the kiss you promised me the other day?” Handyman Oppa asks SinB and the question caught the younger girl by surprise but SinB manage to remain composed and responded with a simple ‘no’.

”Oh? Well, I do. Since I had a rough day, do you think I can get a kiss? Probably it could make everything better?” Handyman Oppa did not gives up, and this time she asks with a cheeky smile and hopeful eyes.

”No.” Again, SinB responded with the same one word.

”Em, okay.” Handyman Oppa picks up the mug and sips the tea.

”Huh, that was easy. You don’t usually gives up this easily.” SinB is surprised with the older woman’s response.

”Ohh. I don’t want to force you. Plus, it doesn’t feel right if you give me the kiss and then you know where I am going tonight, you might be getting angrier.” Handyman Oppa looks at SinB getting ready to be bombarded with questions from the younger girl.

”What are you doing tonight, where and with who?” SinB asks as calmly as she possibly can although she can feel that she is slowly getting upset.

“The cafe that I went last night, with Solar. She made me promise to go with her tonight after she got off work as I didn’t get her anything. She packed me some lunch and dropped by at my office this afternoon, she reminded me about it.”

SinB’s face soften upon hearing Solar’s name. SinB and Solar are quite close, so she is not too worry or jealous if Handyman Oppa goes out or buy something for Solar. 

“Why didn’t you get her something?” SinB asks.

”I forgot. I only have you in my mind.” Handyman Oppa answers in all seriousness.

”Oh really? You were there with the girls from Twice and yet you said you only have me in your mind?!” SinB asks in disbelief and automatically she remembered that she was angry at the oppa about this.

”I went there to wash my car and get you the strawberries milk. I was so tired last night, so I went to the cafe to get some coffee after I washed my car. They arrived at the cafe after me, their manager looked too tired, so I offered and drove them back home last night. Besides, they are Twice. You are my yoejachingu. You are the only one in my mind.” 

SinB choked up when she hears the words ‘my yoejachingu’ comes out from Handyman Oppa’s mouth. She doesn’t know what to say as her heart begins to race because of the two words. 

”You had time to sleep but you spent it fishing all night long. Oh, that reminds me, just how many girls are you flirting with? I heard your colleague said you should stop flirting with those girls. How many are there besides me?” SinB asks the older woman as she tried to change the topic but somehow her questions possibly just intensified the ‘girlfriend’ part as she is currently acting like a typical jealous girlfriend.

”No one. Just you.” Handyman Oppa answers with a straight face.

”I don’t believe you. Where is your phone?” SinB holds out her hand asking the older woman for her phone.

Handyman Oppa fished out her phone from the pocket and handed it to SinB. As the phone was locked with passcode, SinB gives it back to Handyman Oppa to unlock it for her. Handyman Oppa unlocks the phone and then she takes SinB’s left hand and place the girl’s ring finger on her phone’s home button for about three times.

”There, you can unlock my phone with your fingerprint now. The passcode is 311213.” Handyman Oppa said as she places the phone in SinB’s hand. SinB who was taken aback by what the older woman just did only nods her head and stares at the phone blankly. She just stares at the phone for about twenty seconds before she opens the messaging app on the phone and checks every message threads. To her surprise, there is nothing to be worried about. 

“SinB, Eunha said they are ten minutes away. You should get changed.” Yerin stands at the sliding door that separates the living room and the balcony smiling at both SinB and Handyman Oppa.

”Okay. I’ll get changed. Uh, oppa, how is the tea?” SinB said as she stands up, gathering all Handyman Oppa’s car key, wallet and phone with her.

”Salty.” 

“What? Really?” SinB takes a sip of the tea and spits it back out as soon as it enters .

“Why didn’t you say anything? And you drink over half of it.” SinB asks putting down the mug that now contains the tea that she drank and spat out.

”Emm... you made it for me, so I have to be thankful and drink it as it is. I thought you are still angry at me. So...” Handyman Oppa just smiles at SinB.

”Even if I am angry at you, I wouldn’t do such thing. Oppa, you should say it’s salty. Are you okay? You can’t really eat salty foods, can you?” SinB looks at Handyman Oppa with a concerned look.

”Sorry, I just drink whatever you gave me. I was thankful for the tea and it doesn’t taste that bad, just salty. My head starts to hurt, but I’ll just drink plenty of water and it’s going to be alright. Don’t worry.” Handyman Oppa reassures SinB with a warm smile.

”Hahaha. I guess you and SinB are not meant to be together, oppa. She always make sweet, delicious drinks for me. Just a salty tea for you, though, aww, that’s too bad.” Yerin said while frowning , mocking the older woman.

”Excuse me? I am not anyone’s maid for making you your drinks.” SinB said angrily and stomps out of the balcony into the house, going straight to her room.

Handyman Oppa pointed at Yerin blaming her for getting SinB offended by what she said. Yerin just shrugs her shoulder and smiles.

”Don’t worry. She is not going to be angry for long. Oppa, did Sowon unnie said something to you?” Yerin sits on the chair that SinB sat on just now.

”Oh, yes. She blamed me for what happen between her and Eunha. She asks me to leave. So, I told her it’s not me who put those words in . I said you had all those things to say to me but could not even say sorry to Eunha. Today is not a great day for me and I am not in the mood of happily accepting all the blames. Why?” Handyman Oppa blatantly told Yerin what happened on the couch between Sowon and her.

”She looks shocked and teary. Did you talk to Eunha?” says Yerin with a hint of sadness in her voice.

”She needed to be, I just hope it is enough to knock some senses in her and make her take some courage to own her mistakes, swallow her pride and apologise to Eunha. Do whatever it takes before she loses her.” 

“Why would you say that? Did Eunha said something?” Yerin agrees with what Handyman Oppa said about apologising to Eunha but was shocked to hear the last thing she said.

“If you were in Eunha’s place. How would you feel? What would you do?” Handyman Oppa asks Yerin instead of answering her question.

”I know. That’s what I thought. I really don’t want to see them fighting anymore. I want them to get back together. But, I can’t blame Eunha for feeling sad and I would probably do the same thing. But, it is sad at the same time seeing them like this.” 

“I know. But we can only take a horse to water, but we can’t make him drink.” Handyman Oppa responded compassionately.

Yerin just nods weakly, pouting without saying anything. They stay there in silence when Handyman Oppa brakes the silence by asking if she could use the toilet and they both left the balcony. Yerin goes to the kitchen while Handyman Oppa goes to the toilet.

****

Handyman Oppa tucks in the tip of her tie in between the buttons of her shirt so it wouldn’t get wet. She washes her face when she heard someone knocking on the door.

“Ne.” Handyman Oppa shouts back at the person who is calling her from the other side of the door.

”Can I come in? I just need to use the sink.” SinB shouted from behind the bathroom’s door.

”You can just come in. My hands are wet, I could not get the door.” Handyman Oppa shouts back while splashing some water on her tired face and sleepy eyes.

SinB slowly opens the door and enters the bathroom. Handyman Oppa lifts her head with her wet face and turns around facing SinB. The older woman wipes off some of the water with her bare hand from her face, then takes the towel that SinB hold out to her, drying her face with it. Handyman Oppa steps aside to give some room for the younger girl to use the sink. SinB just stands there without moving an inch, staring at her.

”Sorry, am I in your way?” Handyman Oppa asks SinB who is still standing at the same place as she was when she came in just now. SinB just shakes her head. 

“I’ll go out then. Sorry.” 

“Aniya. You really tired, aren’t you? The meeting, it was really bad, wasn’t  it? You should get some rest. I hope you’ll be okay soon.”

SinB stares at Handyman Oppa and smiles weakly. SinB leans closer to Handyman Oppa and planted a quick, soft kiss on the older woman’s cheek. The young girl turn around to leave the bathroom, but Handyman Oppa quickly grabs her wrist, stopping her from leaving.

”Thank you.” Handyman Oppa said while kissing SinB’s forehead.

SinB hold onto the sink as she loses her footing when the older woman suddenly kisses her forehead. As she thought that is the only place Handyman Oppa would kiss her, the older woman proves her wrong. The older woman then proceeds to kiss her right and left cheeks. 

“I owe you from last night.” Handyman Oppa smiles at the younger girl who is slowly becoming red.

Although SinB’s heart races and she can’t seem to think straight, however, her eyes locked in with Handyman Oppa’s. At this time, she could see a light of love beaming from the older woman’s soft, warm gaze. Her heart is thumping but she is not fully sure what her heart is really saying. Handyman Oppa is the first to brake the silence when she suggested that they should go out as they could hear some new voices in the living room indicating Eunha has arrived.

****

Handyman Oppa greets Eunha parents and older sister. They properly introduce themselves to one another.

Eunha’s mother cooked a variety of banchans and main dishes with chicken, beef and fish. All six Gfriend’s members, Handyman Oppa, Eunha’s parents and older sister enjoy the food that Eunha’s mother brought. Eunha parents thanked Handyman Oppa for driving her home and asks her to help them to look for the girls as the girls’ parents are living quite far from them.

”You can eat all the food, I didn’t cook with alcohol. Eunha told me you didn’t take any alcohol.” says Eunha mother while puting some of chicken stir  fry in Handyman Oppa’s plate.

”Ah. Thank you. You don’t have to do that, I can eat something else. Sorry that I have troubled you.” Handyman Oppa smiles and scoop some of the fish stew into Eunha mother’s soup bowl.

“Is not troublesome, this is the least I can do to thank you for taking care of Eunha and these girls.” Eunha’s mother smiles caringly at Handyman Oppa while her husband nods his head in agreement.

“I now know where Eunha got her beautiful face and her kindness from.” Handyman Oppa said to the elegant, beautiful looking woman who is probably in her late 40’s or early 50’s.

Eunha’s mother blushes and lightly smacks Handyman Oppa’s arms who is sitting on her left. She was a bit embarrassed when Handyman Oppa indirectly praised her. Eunha’s father just smiles and chuckle seeing his wife behaviour.

SinB quietly pinches Handyman Oppa’s stomach when the older woman said that. Handyman Oppa just bite her bottom lips so she doesn’t cried out her pain. All she could do just rubs her tummy and thigh in silence.

”Ahhh. You! I remember now. Prof., do you remember me?” Eunha sister suddenly screams at Handyman Oppa, shocking everyone and scores Handyman Oppa another glares and a pinch from SinB. 

“Do you know Eunha’s sister oppa?” SinB asks while clenching her teeth and twisting her fingers that are pinching the older woman’s stomach.

“Umm... I, could not recall. Where did we meet?” Handyman Oppa finally responded after she take a good look at the woman who is a few years older than Eunha.

”I thought I knew you from somewhere. We met at the cancer fundraising dinner few months ago. You helped me carry those boxes. You knocked some senses into the boys. My boss called me to his office the next day.” Eunha’s sister explains.

“I’m sorry. Did I get you into trouble?” Handyman Oppa asks worriedly.

”No, no. He called me in asking me to go to your public talk. He was moved by what you said that he rushed back home. His wife had cancer and he was doing and feeling exactly like you said, so he rushed back home and did what you said everyone should do. I thought you were just a smooth, sweet talker when you called me pretty lady that night but then when you said we should praise people and make them happy because we never know what they are feeling at that time, then I knew I have misjudged you. You said that at least when you say they are pretty, it could be the thing that made their day and that was exactly how I feel and you say it could save them from doing something terrible they might planning to do.” 

Handyman Oppa just responded to Eunha’s sister elaborate explanation with a smile. Both Eunha’s parents and the girls are somewhat impressed with what they heard just stares at Handyman Oppa in admiration. Handyman Oppa just bows her head a bit to everyone and smiles. 

“Oh? She is actually a decent person.” Sowon thought to herself.

After about two hours, Eunha’s families are ready to leave. Handyman Oppa also bid her goodbye and take a leave together with them. Eunha is sending them to the car, so all five of them leave the dorm. Eunha and Handyman Oppa sends Eunha’s families off before walking back to the apartment.

“Where are you going, oppa? Didn’t you say you had to get going because you are meeting someone?” Eunha asks when Handyman Oppa follows her to the lift.

”I’m walking you back home. I’m not going to let you go back upstairs alone.” Handyman Oppa smiles at Eunha holding out her hand to the younger girl.

Eunha takes Handyman Oppa’s hand and squeezes it. She walks as slow as she can, trying to buy some time.

”What should I do oppa?” Eunha asks.

”What do you want to do? What is your heart telling you?” Handyman Oppa asks back.

”I don’t know.”

”You can take your time to figure it out. You can tell her that you need some time.” Handyman Oppa said patting the younger girl’s hand gently.

”I already know I love her. I know my heart loves her so much, too much. But, this time she hurts me so bad that I don’t know if it’s worth for me to endure the pain. I don’t know if I should let myself get hurt again and again just because I love her. Should I?” Eunha stops when they are about a few metres from her dorm.

”You have to love yourself first, only then you can love others. Hey, you don’t have to make the decision now. You girls should talk to each other. She needs to know what are your feelings, your reservation and the reasons why. Whatever happens, you always have me. If you need someone to talk to, or someone to hold on to while you cry, you always have me. Okay?” Handyman Oppa reassures Eunha with a warm smiles while tapping her left shoulder couple of times. 

“Uh, and this is my personal number. The one you called this morning is my official number. I sometimes don’t have the phone with me.” Handyman Oppa asks Eunha for her phone and saves her number in the contact.

Handyman Oppa begins to walk and Eunha follows with a heavy steps. Just when they are at the front door, Eunha shakes her head a few times, refusing to go in. 

“You have to get some rest, you have practice tomorrow. Okay? Just go straight to bed if it makes it easier for you, so you don’t have to talk to her tonight.” Handyman Oppa convincing Eunha as she keys in the pass code. 

When the door opens, Eunha quickly gets into the house and walks straight to her room leaving Handyman Oppa alone at the front door.

”Bi, I don’t have my car key and phone. Do you know where I left them?” Handyman Oppa asks SinB who is already standing at the hallway leading from the front door to the living room.

“I thought you were just going to leave without these.” SinB said as she dangles Handyman Oppa’s car key, phone and wallet that she had in both her hand. 

“Ouh, my wallet as well? Hmm, I didn’t realise it until now.” Handyman Oppa grins like a fool and walks toward SinB to get her things.

”Get some rest. You are too tired, you even forgot these. Oh and Yerin asked me this earlier and then only I think about it. Why did you set the fingerprint on your phone using my ring finger?” SinB asks as she gives the older woman her personal belongings.

“I’ll text you when I got there. Good night, Bi.” Handyman Oppa just smiles at SinB purposely not answering the girl’s question. She grabs her wallet and slips it into her pocket and hold her car key and phone in her hand before leaving the girl with an unanswered question.

****

SinB gets in her bed after she washes her face and changed into her pyjama. Handyman Oppa texted her when she got to Solar’s place and told her she should sleep first as she might be home a little late. The older woman also promised to text her when she got home even she got home late and SinB is already sleeping. 

Ever since Yerin asks her earlier when she played with Handyman Oppa’s phone when the older woman forgot her phone, SinB could not stop thinking about it, “why my left ring finger?”

SinB keeps examining her left ring finger. She measures the finger against her right one. It doesn’t differ really much. It looks fairly similar. SinB keeps thinking the reason why. SinB thinks about this evening when they sit on the balcony, she sits on Handyman Oppa’s right and she thought maybe the older didn’t want to reach over her body for her right hand. But, it doesn’t seem to be the answer. SinB get her phone and started to search on the internet the symbolism of the left ring finger.

SinB eyes widened, her heart beats faster as she was reading the article describing the meaning of wearing a ring on the left ring finger. People wear a ring on their left ring finger either as a sign of their marital status, engagement or as a romantic promise. 

“It can’t be? Can it? But, oppa didn’t give me any ring or anything. It’s just for unlocking her phone. But, I don’t think she would just do some random things.” 

As SinB was contemplating on the real meaning of Handyman Oppa’s action, her phone beeps causing her to startle almost dropping her phone on her face. She opens the new message she received and it was from Handyman Oppa telling her that she has arrived at the cafe with Solar unnie. SinB types ‘okay’ and wanted to ask the oppa about the fingerprint, so she begins to type her question. But then, she hesitated to send the text, so she deleted the text except for the word ‘okay’ and send the text. She wanted to know the meaning behind Handyman Oppa’s decision but she wasn’t ready just yet.

****

Yerin hasn’t stopped thinking about SinB’s left ring finger and Handyman Oppa’s phone. She accidentally learnt about it when the oppa left her phone with SinB and saw SinB was taking selfies with the phone. Then SinB told her about it and she asked the girl why she used her ring finger as it is not a common finger people used as a fingerprint to lock and unlock their phone. Apparently, SinB also doesn’t know why as Handyman Oppa was the one who took her hand and set it up.

She search the internet and she couldn’t believe her eyes. She immediately goes out to the balcony and calls Handyman Oppa.

”Did you really did that oppa?” Yerin asks the older oppa who doesn’t have the slightest idea of what she is talking about.

”What did I do again?” Handyman Oppa asks confusedly.

”SinB’s ring finger and your phone locks.” Yerin clenched her teeth cursing at the phone silently as she suspected that the older woman is just playing dumb with her.

“Ahh. I guess you already figure it out eh? Well, I didn’t think she would asked me about it. You brought it on yourself... And I am certain you are not the only one looking up the symbolism  of the ring finger. Probably SinB already figure it out like you.” 

Handyman Oppa’s responses are making Yerin even mad at the older woman. It is true, if Yerin didn’t asks SinB, she would not be wondering why the oppa used her left ring finger which could cost her her love life that she is fighting for against Handyman Oppa. Yerin let out a long sigh.

”Why the long sigh?” Handyman Oppa asks.

”I mean...that was a bold move, oppa. How could you?” Yerin asks resenting what Handyman Oppa did and why couldn’t she do something as romantic and sweet as that.

”I didn’t plan that. It just happened. She asked me for my phone, so I thought why not. I want her to feel free to use my things. She might not be aware of it, I thought I would tell her about it when we are getting closer. Didn’t you say all is fair in war and love?” Handyman Oppa sounded like she is teasing Yerin when she repeats back to Yerin what she said to the older woman last Friday at the gym.

”I am going to strike back, oppa. Don’t be too shocked.” Yerin thought she would warned the older woman just to make her a bit nervous.

”You should, of course. We already made it clear that both of us will try our hardest in this war of SinB’s heart. I expect you would do that.”

”Uhh, speaking of war and love. Oppa, we need to help Sowon unnie and Eunha reconcile. I don’t think it’s right that they are like that.” Yerin said enthusiastically.

”Why? Why do we have to get involved in other people’s love life?” Handyman Oppa on the other hand responded dispassionately.

“We are already involved, oppa. Sowon blames you, Eunha cried with you,that makes you a part of it. Come on, oppa! You really could bear seeing their relationship in tatters like this?” Yerin asks in a convincing tone.

”Of course not. But...I really don’t think we should get involved. I was already being blamed even though I didn’t do anything wrong.” Handyman Oppa still reluctant to get on board with Yerin’s suggestion.

Just as Yerin about to try and convince the older woman so she would agree with her suggestions, they heard a scream causing both of them to stop talking for a while. Judging by the voice, the chances of SinB being the owner of the voice is very high.

”Ahh. I guess you are not the only one who figure it out the meaning behind my action. Hmm... I really do feel like I am already at the edge of her heart with probably one or two steps from entering it.”

”Oppa, don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched. I take that you are on board with me about the Sowon-Eunha project. But, I’m going to have to put it on hold for now. I have my own love life I need to fight for. Okay, oppa. I’ll update you on Sowon-Eunha project later. I am counter striking your move tonight. I’m going to sleep with SinB tonight.” Yerin said confidently as she types a text message and sends it to SinB.

”Wait. Are you being serious? You are going to sleep with her tonight? In the dorm? In a bunk bed? Are you seriously going to do that? I was just making a symbolic promise with a phone locks and you are going to take that step?!” Handyman Oppa voice went up an octave, shocked by Yerin’s plan.

”Not that kind of sleeping, you filthy old man. I just wanted to sleep together with her in her bed. Get some rest, you are beginning to think weirdly oppa. Good night.”

Handyman Oppa laughs wholeheartedly when she realises that she just said something quite stupid. “I’m sorry. You should said it clearly then. And I really do need some rest. I am not in the right mind. Okay, good night. Say good night to SinB and kiss her good night for me.” 

“Not in your wildest dream oppa.” Yerin laughs and ended the call while she can hear the older woman grunting.

****

Ting! A new message notification startled SinB once again. She did not expect Handyman Oppa to reply her text message because she just replied ‘okay’ to the older woman’s message. SinB sighs in relief as the text is from Yerin and not Handyman Oppa. She doesn’t know why is she nervous about but, she does. 

‘Are you sleeping already?’ 

‘No, why?’ SinB replies Yerin’s text message. Although they are just separated by a wall, they always messaged each other when they are already in their bed.

’I want to sleep with you tonight, may I?

’Yes.’

Just after a minute SinB replied Yerin’s message, the older woman is already climbing up her bed. Yerin lays down behind SinB who is laying on her side facing the wall and wrapped her arms around SinB’s slender waist.

”You never asked permission before, why did you suddenly asked me tonight?” SinB whispers  as she takes Yerin’s hand that is on her stomach and interlaced their fingers.

”I don’t want to bother you if you are already sleeping?” Yerin is not sure how to reply just answers vaguely with a question.

”You did that before, so many times. You are being weird tonight. Why?” SinB turns around to face Yerin.

”Em. I am not being weird. I don’t know. Just thought I would ask you first.” 

SinB just stares at Yerin, not buying her reason that happens to be not even a valid or logical reason. 

“I miss you. I love you.” Yerin said without breaking her eye contact with SinB.

”You are. You are being weird tonight Yennie.” SinB responded.

”What? I just missed this, cuddling with you, and falls asleep with you, that’s all. You don’t even say I love you back to me.” Yerin pouted.

”What is going on with you, Yennie? You are super weird tonight. You never say that before. You already know I love you.” SinB responded, frowning her eyebrows.

“SinB-yah, I. LOVE. YOU.” Yerin once again says she loves SinB but this time with certainty as she utters each word clearly while looking deep into the younger girl’s eyes.

SinB stares into Yerin’s eyes, the older girl’s gaze is somewhat different tonight. When Yerin said she loves her, SinB could see that there is sincerity and certainty in her eyes. SinB could feel that she really meant it this time and she said it lovingly. SinB heartbeat rises, she could feel her hands that are wrapped around Yerin’s back are sweating profusely.

”Em. Me too. I love you too.” SinB finally said to Yerin after engaged in a silent staring contest for a about a minute.

”SinB, I, Yerin. Loves you. I want to be able to call you, my yoejachingu. My girlfriend. Yerin’s love. I love you.”

Yerin slowly leans her head closer to SinB’s. Yerin’s eyes shifted from SinB’s eyes to the younger girl’s lips. Yerin leans a bit more, closing the gap between her lips and SinB’s that they both could feel each other’s warm breath. Yerin stops when there is only an inch distance between their lips, waiting for SinB to lean over and closed the gap. But, SinB didn’t move, not even a bit.

Yerin could feels that the younger girl’s body stiffen, and she could see that her breathing is not stable based on her chest going up and down rapidly and the air she exhaled through her nose. Yerin then leans closer, closing their gap and planted a soft, five seconds-long kiss on SinB’s lips to which the younger girl did not respond in any way, not a single twitch of her muscle. Yerin then pull away, lifts her head a bit and she could see the younger girl just opening her eyes and just stares at her collarbone. Yerin kisses SinB’s forehead and then smile at the younger girl. 

“We should get some sleep, it’s late and you have school tomorrow.” Yerin said while caressing SinB’s temple.

”Umm...” SinB said as she turns her body facing the wall.

”Good night, SinB.” Yerin whispers in SinB’s ears causing a tingling goosebumps down her neck.

”Good night, Yerin.” SinB responded as she tighten Yerin’s embrace on her body and hold the older girl’s hand tightly. Yerin smiles, a mixed of happiness and sorrow’s smile. 

The two say good night, but their eyes and minds are far from sleeping. Their eyes are wide open, their minds are actively thinking.

SinB has a mixed feelings of happiness, confusion, guilt and sorrow at the same time. She is happy to hear that Yerin loves her and this time she said it with certainty and not something that just easily slips from . SinB could feels that Yerin meant every single word as her eyes and mouth are telling the same thing. This makes her happy.

But, at the same time, she is thinking about Handyman Oppa. Yerin’s eyes are shooting a beam full of love when she said she loves her just now. The full of love’s gaze is the same as how Handyman Oppa looks at her, every single time when the older woman locks her eyes on her including this evening on the balcony and in the bathroom. She feels the same happiness and nervousness when Yerin and Handyman Oppa look at her with that gaze. SinB is confused as to why is she feeling this way.

SinB is feeling guilty as well. She didn’t do anything to reciprocate Yerin’s kiss. It’s not like she doesn’t know how to kiss because she had seen it on TV so many times and she is sure it’s not that difficult although she has never done it. But, she just froze. A part of her wanted to kiss Yerin back, and another part of her is not quite sure if she should kiss Yerin back. She was contemplating and it took too long that Yerin pulled away before she could make up her mind. When Yerin kissed her, she thought about Handyman Oppa for a split second and this is also one of the reason she is feeling guilty right now.  She feels like it was not fair for Yerin for her to be thinking of someone else when the girl is kissing her. It is also not fair whe she didn’t kiss Yerin back while she did kiss Handyman Oppa’s cheek this evening.

SinB is feeling guilty not only to Yerin but to Handyman Oppa as well. She doesn’t feel right for locking lips with another girl as she think if Handyman Oppa finds out about it, it would make her sad. Although esrlier she refused to give Handyman Oppa a kiss when the older woman asked her for it, but eventually she did gave her a kiss on her cheek when she was in the bathroom. Handyman Oppa also kissed her in the bathroom, although it wasn’t on the lips, she still didn’t react or kissed her back and SinB felt guilty if she were to kissed Yerin back on the lips.

SinB’s mind keep thinking about both Yerin and Handyman Oppa. Yerin actually confess her feelings tonight and clearly expressed her intent of making her her girlfriend. But, she just said she wanted to but didn’t actually asked SinB if she wants to be her girlfriend, instead she just kissed her on the lips and SinB didn’t respond.

On the other hand, Handyman Oppa has always indirectly implied that she and SinB is dating without even asked her, not even once. This evening is one of the instances. Handyman Oppa said ‘you are my yoejachingu’ when she responded to SinB’s question. Then she set a fingerprint for unlocking her phone using her left ring finger which happened to be the finger typically used for wearing a ring that shows a person is in a relationship or as a romantic promise. 

Both Yerin and Handyman Oppa makes her heart flutters every time they kiss her, every time they say they love her and every time they touch her. And right now, she is about to explode as she is swamped by all these thoughts. SinB her lips and she could faintly tasted Yerin’s lip balm. This drives her crazy, so SinB turns around facing Yerin who is still wide awake and went straight for the girl’s luscious lips.

****

Yerin touches her lips that was just on SinB’s static lips. She let out a sigh again. Yerin just stares at SinB’s silhouette in the dark as she tries to come up with reasons why the girl didn’t kiss her back. Three reasons actually pop up in her mind. One, SinB is not ready to kiss her. Two, SinB doesn’t likes her, and three, SinB loves Handyman Oppa. The first reason is the one she is hoping to be the one as it is the least hurtful compare to the other two reasons. At least if SinB didn’t kiss her back because she wasn’t ready yet, she could wait. Yerin is willing to wait no matter how long it takes, even if it’s for their whole life together.

The second reason would be a whole lot better than the last one because she could do just about anything she could to show SinB how much she loves her and makes her fall for her. But if it is the last one, then she is doomed. She doesn’t think she could win SinB over if she has fallen for Handyman Oppa and even if she did, Yerin would wait for her.

But, it could be a very long wait, as she thinks Handyman Oppa would be a good partner and lover. Even now the oppa is great, loving and caring, she could imagine that Handyman Oppa will give the whole world to someone she loves. If that the case, the only way for her to get SinB to fall for her is to wait for Handyman Oppa to screw up. But, this means SinB will get hurt and she will do anything in her power to prevent this. 

Yerin lets out a sigh for the nth time tonight. She tries to close her eyes to sleep but she suddenly hears the bedroom door is opened from the outside. Yerin could easily recognise the person who just walks into the room.

The person slowly and stealthily climbs the bunk bed across the one she is in. The person lays her skinny long body behind Eunha. Anyone in the world would know it is Sowon as her body occupies the entire length of the bed. Ever since Yerin came to the girl’s room, she saw everyone is already sleeping except SinB. Yerin smiles as she is genuinely happy to see Sowon is over there hugging Eunha from the back like they used to do. Yerin stays as still as she could so the couple would not notice her. However, it is impossible for Sowon or Eunha to know she is eavesdropping because they are both facing the opposite direction. 

Yerin is being super focus tonight when she heard Sowon started talking to Eunha. She smiles and feels happy and relieved when she heard Sowon said she was sorry for hurting Eunha.

”Okay. Good unnie, good. This is what you should do.” Yerin said to herself as she continues to eavesdrop on Sowon’s one-sided conversation with Eunha as the other girl is not responding to anything that Sowon said.

”Thank you for being in my life, for loving me all this while. Thank you for still staying with me even when I hurts you and keep making you sad. Thank you Eunha.” 

“That’s it. Yes. Show her you appreciates her and acknowledge what she’s been through. Unnie, I know you can pull this off! I am rooting for you, unnie. Fighting!” Yerin smiles while clenching her fist screaming the word fighting in her mind.

”I just want to sleep tonight holding you in my arms and my heart for the last time.” 

“Wait, last time? Why would it be the last time?” Yerin asks herself as Sowon just stopped talking. 

“I’m not going to hurt you anymore. You deserve better. You deserve someone who treats you better, who loves you and trusts you, who protects you instead of hurting you. I love you, Eunha.” Sowon choked up and stopped again.

Yerin is nodding her head few times, agreeing with what Sowon said. She smiles happily hearing what Sowon said as the prospect of Sowon and Eunha stop fighting is getting brighter.

“I am sure you will find someone like that. Thank you and I’m sorry for everything. You’ll be better off without me.” Sowon continues and stops again.

”What the! This is not what you should say. Come on unnie, say you are just kidding. Come on!!!”

Yerin turns around wanted to try and do something to get Sowon to say something else to undo what she just did. All Yerin could see is Sowon’s shoulder going up and down slightly. She could not see Eunha’s body as Sowon’s body is covering her, so she doesn’t know what Eunha is doing but she is sure that the younger girl is laying with her back to Sowon. Yerin quickly turns her body as she felt SinB is moving, but she could only turn halfway because SinB has already turned around. She stares at the ceiling, pretending that was what she did the whole time.

Suddenly SinB holds her head and turn it sideways, facing her. SinB leans her face towards Yerin’s and kiss her. Yerin was startled that she ends up frozen like a statue. Their lips locked in together long enough to wake the startled Yerin to her senses. Yerin’s lips curled into a smile and she puckered her lips getting ready to kiss SinB back. But then, SinB pulled away and immediately turns her body back to her original position leaving the older girl dumbfounded with what just happened.

Yerin blinks her eyes in disbelief. She questions herself what just happened. SinB just kissed her lips and why would she pulled away when she was about to kiss her back. It frustrated her because she really wanted to kiss her back. When she kissed SinB earlier, the girl didn’t respond and now she just kissed her and pulled away just as she was about to kiss her back. Yerin has long dreamt of the moment where they kiss each other lovingly.

But it seems like they both just kiss each other’s lips without really kissing because each time, they don’t respond to the kiss. Yerin wanted to turn SinB’s body and claimed her lips once again, but she couldn’t as SinB just takes her hand and wraps it around her body, taps it lightly and rested her head on it. She could feel SinB’s eyes close as it brushes the back of her hand that is now under the girl’s face.

Yerin smiles happily although they kiss but didn’t really kiss. At least, it shows that the chances of the reason SinB didn’t kiss her back earlier is inclined towards the first reason. Yerin sleeps with a smile on her face.

SinB smiles in contentment as she closes her eyes to sleep. Unlike before, SinB feels happy. But, it only lasted for just about a minute when the thought of Handyman Oppa comes to her mind making her feeling guilty again.

****

”Oppa, meet me at the restaurant before our evening practice. The Sowon-Eunha project is now in motion. We have to work fast.” Yerin said to Handyman Oppa as soon as the older woman answered her call.

”What? Why?” Handyman Oppa asks.

”We will give you the details at the restaurant. See you there. You don’t have to pick us up from the dorm, let’s just meet at the restaurant. Bye.”

Yerin ends the call and shoots a death stare at Sowon who just laying on her bed like a dead person.

“Because you stupidly ended your relationship with your girlfriend last night.” Yerin sternly said to Sowon who just shoots a questioning look at her.