Three

Textmates

Jongin wakes up on the morning of his date and his heart immediately starts pounding. The morning sun is warming his face, his previous feelings of doubt are washed away and replaced with a feeling of excitement. He feels around for his phone which is lost somewhere in his sheets and opens the SM matches app as soon as he finds it, he wants to double check the details of his date with Taemin but he stops when he sees a certain profile he's been interested in since he was first matched with him. He sits wondering who 'D.O' could possibly be, he can't shake the feeling that the nickname really means something, he looks over the profile for what feels like the millionth time and finally decides to message the mysterious profile with no picture. He figured that the other man wouldn't message him first considering he seemed really shy in his bio so he sent a simple 'Hi!'

Jongin wondered if it acceptable to message someone else even though he already had a date today. It wasn't considered cheating, right? Was it? No, he was pretty sure it wasn't cheating.

After sending the message Jongin goes to look over his details for his date with Taemin - 4pm at Seoul delights cafe-, and he starts to feel guilty. Seoul delights was Kyungsoo's favourite cafe and it became tradition for them to go every Sunday, but Jongin decided this was something he had to do if he was ever going to get over Kyungsoo. He was ready to get out of bed but at that moment his phone chimed and indicated a message. Jongin scrambled for his phone and he saw a reply from D.O.

From: D.O

Hello!

Jongin's heart skipped a beat, it was the most simple message from the most basic profile but for whatever reason Jongin was incredibly interested in this certain profile and he was itching to know more about the faceless man. He flopped back into bed and continued to message his new friend, he knew this would make him late for work but he didn't care.

---

Jongin's and Kyungsoo's conversation was awkward and overall dry but neither wanted the conversation to end. Kyungsoo found 'Kai's' way of talking comforting, he needed comfort before his date with Leeteuk today. His date was at 3pm at Seoul delights cafe, his favourite cafe, he shared countless memories there with his ex but he thought it was time to make new memories. He just hoped and prayed that he wouldn't see Jongin since it was across the street from his apartment block and he knew Jongin finished working today at 1pm. It was already nearly 2pm now and Kyungsoo couldn't wait to rush home as soon as it hit 2pm to get ready for his date. He was beyond excited to finally meet his date and a new friend. He really wanted things to work out with Leeteuk, he liked nearly everything about him and had already developed an affection for him. 

Kyungsoo stared at the clock on the wall and watched it get closer to 2pm, as soon as it hit he jumped up before shoving his things into his bag and running out of his office. 

Half an hour later, Kyungsoo was ready. He only needed to change his clothes and style his hair upwards so that it pushed up and the tips curled back down to rest on his forehead. He looked over himself in his full length mirror and was happy with what he saw, white button up shirt tucked into blue jeans with a brown belt and smart brown shoes; he looked effortlessly handsome. Kyungsoo wasn't a very confident guy but he had a good feeling about today, his phone chimed and he dragged himself away from his mirror to check the notification. It was from Kai again. He enjoyed talking to Kai even though it was awkward he knew it was mainly because they were both nervous. Kai had mentioned to Kyungsoo that he had a date that day and Kyungsoo had replied that he also had a date that day, after wishing each other luck with their dates they promised to talk later and went offline. 

Kyungsoo was confident for his date, but now he was having second thoughts. This 'Kai' person had really grabbed Kyungsoo's attention and he'd be lying if he says he wasn't waiting for him to message him. They had many of the same interests and his slightly cute and childish attitude made Kyungsoo's heart burst, they were matched for a reason and Kyungsoo really wanted to give him a chance but for now he knew he had to go to his date with Leeteuk. 

 

10 minutes later he still hadn't left. It was getting closer to 3pm but Kyungsoo needed one last push of confidence before he introduces himself properly to Leeteuk.

---

There's only four days left until the wedding, Chanyeol and Baekhyun decided it was a good day to get their suits dry cleaned so that they were prepared. They were rushing around trying to find their keys and wallets before they had to leave when Chanyeol's phone started to ring and he answered it after an annoyed groan without bothering to look at the caller ID.

"What?" he answered harshly and instantly regretted it, hoping it wasn't his boss or mother on the other end.

"Chanyeol.." Jongin's small voice came through the phone "Are you busy?" Chanyeol wanted to say yes and hang up but Jongin sounded worried and Chanyeol didn't have the heart to turn his back on his friend.

"No," he sighed "What's up?" Chanyeol mouthed 'Jongin' to Baekhyun who squinted his eyes at his boyfriend before rolling them, great, now they won't leave for at least another half hour. Baekhyun took a seat on the couch and his phone started to vibrate in his back pocket, he pulled it out to see Kyungsoo was calling him.

"Hey Kyungsoo," Baekhyun answered loud enough for Chanyeol to hear.

"Baekhyun I don't know if I can do it - the date I mean.. I don't think he's gonna like the way I look," Kyungsoo sounded scared and Baekhyun's heart clenched.

"Listen," Baekhyun started with a hard voice, "I don't give complements easily but I can confidently say that you're hot and he must be blind if he doesn't like the way you look" Baekhyun continued with his pep talk while Chanyeol was on the other side of their living room talking to Jongin.

"Jongin! You can't cancel your date just because you've spoken to another guy for less than 24 hours! " Chanyeol sounded irritated, he really wanted Jongin to have a date for the wedding because if he didn't and Kyungsoo did then he would be the one drying tears all night.

"You don't understand Chanyeol. I felt something with this guy, it was..different," Jongin sounded soft and passionate and Chanyeol exchanged looks of hopelessness with Baekhyun. 

"You can give this guy a chance after your date with Taemin, ok? I know you really like Taemin so don't give up on him just yet," Chanyeol sounded sincere and Jongin knew he only wanted what was best for him so he hung up after agreeing.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun were both off the phone now, they stared at each other blankly for a good 10 seconds before they both shook their heads, deciding not to talk about their best friends love lives since it only gave them headaches. 

---

It was 3:55pm and Jongin was stood waiting outside of Seoul deliights for his date to arrive. He looked up at the cafe and the strong smell of cakes and pastries filled his nose while his mind filled with memories. 

Jongin and Kyungsoo walked through the door of Seoul delights one Sunday morning, they were hand in hand with lazy smiles across their faces. 

"Do you want the usual, babe?" Jongin leaned in close to ask Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo gave a shy nod before letting go of Jongin's hand and going over to their favourite table in the corner. Jongin made his way over to the counter and ordered two croissants, one large latte and one green tea. 

The interior of the cafe was cozy even though the cafe itself was quite big, there were plush chairs and couches surrounding wooden tables and the quiet chatter and laughter added to the feeling of comfort and security that the place brought. 

Jongin arrived back at Kyungsoo's side with their order. He handed Kyungsoo the latte while keeping the green tea and placing the plate of pastries between them. 

"I love this place" Kyungsoo said as he looked around and took in the familiar surroundings.

"I love you" Jongin replied with a cheeky smile.

"It's my favourite" Kyungsoo ignored him and continued talking about the beloved cafe

"YOU'RE my favourite" Jongin replied, this time with his face resting in his hands, elbows propped up on the table and the same smile on his face

Kyungsoo blushed, no longer able to ignore his boyfriends obvious flirting, his heart pounded and he laughed weakly.

"My favourite boy and the boy I love all wrapped up in one, what more could I want?" Jongin said while leaning back into his seat and staring at Kyungsoo intensely.

Kyungsoo stared back with the same intense level of love swimming around in his eyes and Jongin's heart was going crazy, even after two years of dating Kyungsoo still had the same effect on him-

Jongin was snapped out of his memory as a loud horn was heard from one of the cars on the road behind him, he sighed and looked around for his date who he spotted a few steps away from him. 

Jongin cautiously took a few steps towards him, "Taemin?"

The boy looked Jongin in the face and Jongin took the look of his blonde hair and full lips, he was definitely prettier in real life.

"Yes! Jongin, right?" Taemin looked nervous and a blush had made its way onto his face.

"Yeah, yeah that's me," Jongin pushed his feelings of uncertainty away and gave his date a wide toothy grin.

After the intial awkward introduction Jongin pushed the door to the cafe open and let Taemin enter first. 

---

It was 3:55pm. Kyungsoo had been waiting since 2:55pm. He waited for half an hour outside of the cafe before the cold became unbearable and he made his way inside to wait with a hot drink. Kyungsoo was almost positive that Leeteuk was only running late, there was a little part of him that told him he had been stood up but Kyungsoo ignored it since he didn't want to cry in front of everyone. 5 minutes later he got up to use the bathroom and left his half empty latte on the table. As he neared the bathroom he heard someone enter but decided against looking back, he really really had to pee. 

Jongin looked around the cafe for an empty table as soon as he entered with Taemin but the only one available was his and Kyungsoo's special table in the corner. He noticed another that had a half empty latte but no occupant, he shook his head at the idea of sitting there in case the owner of the coffee came back annoyed that his table was taken and led Taemin over to the corner table. Taemin excused himself to the bathroom as Jongin said he was going to order for them. 

Kyungsoo stared at himself in the bathroom mirror, his eyes were red and he was close to crying. Had he really been stood up? He was so sure that Leeteuk liked him, he didn't understand what he did wrong and he wanted to pull his hair out in frustration. At that moment someone else entered and Kyungsoo stood up straight and sniffed his tears away. The man who entered had blonde hair, full lips and a very pretty face. He almost reminded him of Jongin. 

"Is everything alright?" The man who entered stopped fixing his hair in the large mirror and spoke to him with a worried look on his face.

Kyungsoo was shocked at his concern and stood with a slightly open mouth before answering, "Uh, yeah I'm fine.." Kyungsoo squeezed his eyes tight before looking away again. "Actually, I'm not fine. I was supposed to meet someone for a date but I think they stood me up," He let out a scoff at the end at his sudden trust in this stranger. 

"What?! Who would stand YOU up? I hope you don't mind me saying but you're very attractive and if I wasn't on a date right now then I'd ask for your number," 

Kyungsoo giggled and felt himself go red. 

"I say if you really like the guy then wait him out a bit longer, it will be worth it in the end," The man winked and Kyungsoo felt his confidence come back.

"Thanks. For the advice, and the confidence boost. I'm Kyungsoo by the way," Kyungsoo held his hand out for the stranger to shake.

"Don't worry about it cutie. I'm Taemin," Taemin shook his hand and smiled at how warm it felt.

"It's nice to meet you. Good Luck with your date!" Kyungsoo said as he made his way out of the toilets.

"Thanks! You too!" Taemin called after him before using the toilet and making his way back to Jongin.

Kyungsoo walked straight out of the cafe and opted to wait outside instead so he could spot his date when he showed up. If he showed up. 

 

It was now 5:15pm and Kyungsoo had finally given up. Taking one last look around the street he let his tears fall and he started his walk back home in the cold which soon turned into a sprint in a desperate attempt to get back to the security of his own home. Autumn used to be when Kyungsoo was happiest but now he feels like his life is falling apart. 

As Kyungsoo left the street outside the cafe, Jongin led his date out of the warmth of the cafe. Jongin's heart raced as he caught a glimpse of a familiar head of hair, his head started to spin and he said his goodbyes to Taemin after informing him that he lived right across the street. Taemin pressed a kiss to Jongin's cheek before walking away, Jongin ignored the gesture and ran back to his apartment, his head was filled with thoughts of Kyungsoo and it was giving him a headache. 

As soon as he was home he ran to his bed and climbed under the covers,  he had to distract himself. The date had went really well but the heavy weight on his heart never left. Taemin was perfect but him and Taemin together wasn't right in any way. He decided to talk to D.O, he brought comfort to Jongin and allowed him to relax when they were talking. He confided in him about how his date went and the overall wrong feeling he had about the entire situation. Jongin didn't know why he trusted this guy so much, but in his time of distress he felt pulled towards him and that gut feeling was all he needed to keep talking to him. 

---

Kyungsoo dragged his feet through his apartment and stripped his clothes on his way to the bed, without bothering with pyjama's he crawled into his bed. He was exhausted, he had stopped crying after he started to run but the lump in his throat grew once again. His phone chimed and he hoped to see an explanation from Leeteuk, it wasn't. It was a message from Kai but surprisingly his heart felt a little lighter, he read the message about how Kai's date had went well but he doesn't think he can see him again and Kyungsoo typed out the details of his own date - he told him about Leeteuk and how his own date went well. He knew it was wrong to lie but he didn't think his heart could take the pity from someone other than himself. He bit into his blanket to stop the sounds of his crying, his silent sobbing continued until his face was puffy and sleep finally took over him.