Chase Me

Drabbles (Seulrene edition)

Kang Seulgi has eyes everywhere. Kidding. She only has eyes everywhere Bae Joohyun goes. When this certain Bae happened to pass by her when she was just a freshman inside the cafeteria peacefully eating her lunch, she made a note to herself to ask anyone about the senior's name.

Turns out, she really did not have to. Apparently, Bae Joohyun's ethereal beauty's always the center of attention of practically everyone in the campus. Boys like her. Girls want to be just like her. Teachers admire her. And other staffs of the school admire her kindness. To say that the Bae was pretty much popular was an understatement. She's THAT popular. She even got suitors and fans from other schools may it be nearby their school or from the other side of the city. Seulgi then didn't put her hopes high that she'll ever be noticed. 

What she do, instead, is to draw and draw. When there was this time she saw her senior outside their building, sitting on an unoccupied bench while reading a book, there was this growing need in Seulgi to capture the moment. However, she only got her notebook and pen with her (she purposely left her phone back in their class) as she was just about to simply record a plant's development with regards to their subject, Biology. So with the thing she only got, she started to draw Bae Joohyun's perfect side-view.

That continued from then on until she's now a sophomore. Whenever she's got the chance to see her senior alone, most of the time reading some book, she'll try to capture the moment using her pencil and pad. 

It was just supposed to be of her own satisfaction but Kim Yerim, a close junior of hers from the Arts Club, saw the pad and started to take photocopies of the drawings (without her knowledge at that) and posted them randomly on her friends' lockers until it became quite a hot topic which made some of her drawings be featured on the school magazine, and of course, on the school bulletin where it's visible to everyone's curious eyes. She was more than nervous and worried than mad at Yerim's doing but fortunately, the younger actually saved her some privacy and left out her name as the artist. The students, however, were very fascinated about the drawing for its flawless and realistic touches, and started guessing--even hunting--for the artist's name at least. 

Seulgi was very much sure the senior already heard or have seen about the news when she sees her looking around one time, when she was alone again, trying to look for that someone who draws her. Seulgi did not want to risk being caught so she did not draw for about a month. When the news dissipated and her drawing was only on the bulletin board as some kind of design, she started to draw again. This time, she includes the days she restrained herself from sketching and only captured Bae Joohyun's figure with her eyes. Thankfully, Yerim did not make the same deed again and promised to keep shut about Seulgi's sketches.

Seulgi only realised that she might never see her senior again when she once saw the latter busying herself with managing class pictures. She just realized she never had the guts to, at least, greet or converse with Bae Joohyun. And she might actually regret it for the rest of her life. So she came up with a plan to greet the senior on their graduation day. Why graduation day, you ask? Kang Seulgi thinks it'll save her from too much embarrassment. When she'll greet (and maybe confess her admiration to) her senior on their last day, she'll never have to worry about seeing the latter and be reminded of the moment again and again. 

However, the universe might had other plans for her since she could not see her senior at all. She ran around here and there, trying to see one figure but she only got tired from looking. She only saw her senior walking up the stadium, receiving multiple medals of honor and the likes and then that was it. When the ceremony finally ended (yes, she waited that long), she stood by the gate and still looked for Bae Joohyun. It was when there was just some bunch of senior boys still taking silly pictures left that she lost hope. She had failed to at least say a word to Bae Joohyun. 

Out of sadness, she decided to stroll around the campus' grounds (the guards couldn't care less since they know her being that kind student who's always the one to save  the flag when it rains) and sat on one of the benches near the one Bae Joohyun sometimes sits. She looked at her pad and reviewed her sketches. She squinted her eyes when she saw something and looked at the other pages to compare. She's sure she's always precise with the details when she draws but this is the first time she ever noticed that Bae Joohyun reads only one book since that sketch-went-public incident of hers. It actually doesn't makes sense, she thinks. She reviewed her older sketches and it showed multiple books in Bae Joohyun's hand. How many months has it been since her sketch incident? 3 months? And Bae Joohyun read the same book in 3 months? It just doesn't add up. 

Well, that until Seulgi finally read the book's title. Chase Me

She quickly got up and went straight to the library. Luckily for her, the librarian was still there, readying stuffs before taking the vacation. Seulgi immediately asks if there's a book titled Chase Me in the library. The old teacher smiled at her and told her there was. And that the book was something Bae Joohyun always borrow. 

Seulgi thanked the librarian and immediately got out of the building. The universe surely hates her, that she knows. She pulled her hair out of frustration when she heard a voice quite familiar but never directed to her.

"What are you doing?"

Seulgi immediately turned around and exhaled out of relief. Earlier, she was so close to pulling her hair out for being so dumb and dense.

When she regained her composure once again, she grinned.

"Well, I have been chasing, sunbae."

Seulgi only knew why the senior was still at school when she saw her carrying her stuffs from the council room.

Bae Joohyun smiled knowingly.

"Good luck about your chase, I guess?" She chuckled. Seulgi stepped closer and her grin got wider.

"You see, sunbae, I have been all around the campus since earlier, trying to catch this person. But I'm really tired now, I don't think I'm still up for the chase." Seulgi paused and took another step closer, finally held her senior's hand and continued.

"So how about you surrender yourself instead?"