Failing Exams and a Failing Heart

Drabbles (Seulrene edition)

End of school day means a lot for everybody else except for this auburn-haired girl. It was the mid-terms that caught everyone up and stressed them to almost insanity. Being at their last year of high school brings out these loads of requirements and projects to be able to pass--even with a barely considerable mark. This day happens to be the last day of their exam and Kang Seulgi could only groan under her breath. Yes, she did worked her off and studied real hard but as the paper came in contact with her hands earlier, she could not remember anything from what she studied at all. She ended up spending an hour trying to solve equations with her might and half-hour to pray that at least some of her answers were right. 

Deep in her thoughts, she subconciously went to the right corner of an alleyway instead of going straight. This actually is a shortcut to their house but she rarely uses this route for it's dangerous environment. Just when she passed through a gasoline station, she caught sight of someone quite familiar to her. 

The lady was still wearing her school uniform but unwore her identification card. She's leaning in a corner of a store that sells alcoholic beverages and cigarettes. Her shirt was untucked and her hair was pulled out into a messy bun. She was smoking cigarette and that was what triggered Seulgi's natural instinct.

Kang Seulgi slowly made her way towards the lady when she suddenly heard a shouting voice. 

"Irene! What trouble did you cause again?! A customer just came here, ranting that he was given a bottle of muriatic acid inside a supposedly bottle of champagne! What were you thinking?! Are you crazy?!" A middle-aged buffy man came into view looking all enraged but the said girl only smirked. 

"My plan didn't work out well, I guess." She nonchalantly shrugged off. 

"What?! Do you plan on killing people?! I don't want a psychopath lurking around my store! You're fired and don't ever come near here again!" The man shouted and closed the backdoor with a loud bang.

"As if I wanted to stay too." Seulgi heared Irene say. "It's not my fault that man humiliated me after I turned him down." Irene continued. Seulgi's currently hiding behind one of the pillars of the gasoline station after she heard the shout.

"Now where do I go?" The lady started to walk away from the place and just before she turns around in one of the corners, she heard a sound coming from where she was earlier. 

Seulgi silently cursed when her phone started to vibrate and sound, indicating an incoming call. She immediately fished her phone out of her jacket pocket and looked at the caller. Oh shoot. She totally forgot the time. She should supposedly arrive back in their home at 5 and now it's 6.

"Dad?" She answered the call.

"Where are you right now?! I told you to be home at 5 right?!" Seulgi muttered curses under her breath for being ignorant of the time and now she's in trouble.

"I'm sorry, I got lost track of time, Dad. I'm on my way home now." She did not wait any words from her father and immediately ended the call. Don't misunderstand her. She loves her father but it's just so suffocating and tiring when your family expects too much from you to the extent of not letting you experience happiness every teenager should experience. And her father is the only family she has. She doesn't know her mom's whereabouts after she left them, but it's not like Seulgi cares. She was absent in Seulgi's life for 16 years and now she's 17. She doesn't need her anytime sooner in the future.

Just when Kang Seulgi was ready for a run to their house (to avoid being more late), she was faced with the one who she eavesdropped to earlier.

"If it isn't Kang Seulgi." Irene's smirk was visible and Seulgi almost wanted to punch herself for thinking that the smirk was still as y as ever. 

"What brings you here, Kang?" Irene asked in a teasing voice. "Want to save your damsel in distress from being homeless after getting kicked out again from the store she worked in?" 

Seulgi couldn't be more stressed out than this. First, she forgot what she studied for and probably failed the exam. Second, she's gonna be grounded by her father again for being late and worse, would not sustain her for this week's allowance. And lastly, meeting her ex who she's clearly not over yet, giving her no time to breathe. Damn it.