Chapter 6 - Son Chaeyoung

Destiny

The class ended early as Mina had planned. Despite the tension she felt, everything is going smoothly. Relieved sounds could be heard as soon as Mina dismissed the class.

 

As Mina packed her materials, a loud voice could be heard. 

 

"What the fck, coming to the class just for an introduction? What the actual fck? I shouldn't have come."

 

All head turns to the seat on the back row, on Son Chaeyoung. She's staring directly at Mina direction.

 

Mina was appalled by the rude comment. She immediately stopped packing, glaring at the student like she's going for a kill.

 

She was absolutely triggered by it. The first day on the job, she got this young girl disrespecting her? How could she let this slide?

 

"Okay then. Let's start with the first chapter", Mina retaliated in her own way. Arguing was never her preference.

 

Disgruntled voices could be heard as soon as Mina announces it. Everyone retook their seat and glared at Chaeyoung with dissatisfaction.

 

Despite the glares, Chaeyoung smirked and took out her notes, seems satisfied with the lecturer decision.

 

Fortunately, Mina already prepared for the first chapter materials and everything went smoothly. The way she delivers the lecture was pleasant and seems like everyone was hooked instantly. A barrage of questions was asked and Mina answered it with confidence (of course she had prepared with this, thick notes on hand), it's a good sign that the students are interested.

 

The class ended exactly in two hours. Once Mina dismisses the class, she was shot with happy smile and appreciation by the students. Feeling of satisfaction and achievement roses inside her heart, a good start.

 

"Woah, my Minaring is good!", clapping her hand clearly impressed, Jeongyeon enters the class as the students exiting greeted her with bows.

 

Mina blushes at Jeongyeon remarks, embarrassed as Jeongyeon called her that in front of the students - Jeongyeon just doesn't give a fck.

 

"Yah! Why would you call me that in front of them?!", Mina yelled in her whisper. Jeongyeon just shrugged and laughed.

 

"Let's go grab some brunch, it's my treat", Jeongyeon winked.

 

Mina just giggled at Jeongyeon action as she packed her things inside her backpack. Sliding it on her shoulder, she scanned the room and found someone is still sitting.

 

It's Son Chaeyoung.

 

Mina glared at the short haired girl, still hurt by the rude comment.

 

An eerie smirk was returned to her.

 

Mina immediately retracted her sight and hurriedly followed Jeongyeon. The smirk sends chills down her spine, it's just like a scene of a psycho killer smiled at their prey before the act.

 

*****

 

"A short hair with a mole on her underlips? That's Chaeyoung", rice was sprayed around as Jeongyeon spoke.

 

"Yah! Mind your manners lady!", Jeongyeon earned a smack from Tzuyu. She's been invited to their brunch session at their university cafe.

 

Their action incites laugh from Mina as she passed Jeongyeon some water to help her digest.

 

"Why ask? A short girl is your type huh? Hehe", Jeongyeon teasingly asked, grinning like a fool.

 

"No, she just seems dangerous", Mina recalled the smirk and shivering a bit. It just looks creepy.

 

"Hmm. Why would one of our university best student be dangerous? She might be a bit impulsive, but she's a good kid.", Tzuyu denies the idea.

 

"She just cursed at me during the class just now Tzuyu", Mina raised her voice in dissatisfaction.

 

"I saw it. I was monitoring you from the outside. I had a good laugh. Need to report your progress to the director. If you ended up followed my direction to cut the class short, the report would be bad", laughing, Jeongyeon showed Mina the file that she's been holding.

 

"HOW DARE YOU DO THAT TO ME JEONG???", Mina angrily snatched the file and took out her report, scanning it.

 

All the review was excellent.

 

She passed it back to Jeongyeon with her gummy smile. Jeongyeon rolled her eyes, Tzuyu just giggled.

 

"Sorry but it's just a trap that we used to all new lecturers. Not going to use it to you but the director specifically ordered me to", Jeongyeon made a 'im sorry' looks on her face.

 

"You know, your reaction was very professional. I would smack that cub right in the face if it were me. This report will pretty much ensure your permanent seat as a lecturer in this university. You should be thankful to Chaeyoung", Jeongyeon continued.

 

The contract Mina signed indeed had the probationary period of one year. She's grateful to Jeongyeon, but she didn't like the idea to be thankful at Chaeyoung.

 

"I don't know Jeong", Mina crossed her arms and looks somewhere else. Her sight catches someone familiar.

 

She sees Sana. Alone buying some foods from the cafe counter.

 

"Excuse me for a sec", Mina went through her backpack and took out a neatly folded purple colored handkerchief.

 

She stood up but was stopped by Tzuyu sudden move.

 

"Sana?", Tzuyu half-yelled calling as she jogged towards Sana. The ash-colored hair beauty bowed and smiled at Tzuyu.

 

"Yah! I'm not done yet. I've something important to tell you!", Jeongyeon grabbed Mina and gestured her to sit.

 

Mina's sight was fixed on Sana and Tzuyu.

 

They hugged each other, greeting with cheek kisses, giggling - look really close. Tzuyu was tucking Sana hair away from her shoulder, brushing away specks of dirt on her shoulder. Sana smiled shyly.

 

Mina just felt a twist in her stomach. It was weird. Is this jealousy?

 

"Earth to Mina! are you even listening?", Jeongyeon ruffled Mina's hair in frustration as the younger girl did not pay attention to what she's been saying.

 

"I-I'm sorry. What was it?", Mina snapped out and looked at Jeongyeon.

 

"I said, you are assigned as the lecturer for the students programming competition in the UK in two weeks. You'll be the leader", Jeongyeon sternly explained.

 

"Wha-What? I'm what??", panicked with the question Mina stuttered.

 

"Director asked you to do it. Maybe because you've been there", Jeongyeon giggled as she found Mina reaction funny - understands how exactly this introvert felt.

 

"You are aware that I rarely even stepped outside the house right?", Mina brow furrowed as she shook her head in denial.

 

"Tell the director that. Haha. I need to go. Bye Minaring!", Jeongyeon finishes her drink and quickly ran. She didn't want to hear Mina complaining.

 

"Wait! Jeonggg!", Jeongyeon just waved her hand ignoring Mina yell. 

 

Mina was left dazed. "My God! What did I do wrong to deserve this?".

 

A tremendous responsibility suddenly weighs on her. She was never the leader type, she dislikes the feeling of being the leader. Experience taught her that it's too huge of a burden.

 

Mina planned to refuse the assignment and her brain was wrecking to come up with excuses. She even hoped her leg doesn't heal in two weeks time.

 

She checked the spot where Sana and Tzuyu was but they are already gone. 

 

Decided to shrug it off, Mina took out a pen and a piece of blank paper. Making detailed plan to refuse the assignment.

 

After an hour, Mina was finished listing and cramming the possible Q&A situation she might have with the Director.

 

"Meanie Jeong! She brought me here but leave me here with this leg", Mina mumbled. She struggled to stand up and slowly made her way the Director office.

 

*****

 

Knock Knock.

 

"Yes, you may enter".

 

Mina opens the door and found the usual smile of the Director. Two people were already inside his office showing their back to Mina.

 

"What a coincidence! I just planned to send these two to your office to discuss the competition trip", the director gestured towards the two people sitting front of him.

 

"Let me introduce them. Jeon So-mi and Son Chaeyoung, meet Miss Myoui Mina, the lecturer that will lead you during the trip", both of the students turned towards Mina.

 

Mina was lost for word. Looks like her eyes almost fall out of the socket and her jaw will be dislocated anytime soon.

 

"They will be the competitor with another one student that can't make it here today. Four of you will be going.", Professor Park added, ignoring the face Mina is making.

 

Somi stood up and bowed, meanwhile Chaeyoung just sat and had a staring competition with Mina.

 

The taller student was cupping holding her laugh. She found Mina expression hilarious.

 

Ring~, Ring~

 

"I've already passed the paperwork to Somi. Discuss it in your office. I need to take this call", Professor Park picked up the phone and send them away with a smile.

 

Mina couldn't say anything. All of her 'well-planned' excuses are going inside the gutter.

 

She exits the office followed by the two.

 

"Miss Myoui, I'm Somi. I have the paperwork we need right here", she shows a bunch of papers on her hand grinning innocently.

 

Mina eyed Somi weakly and nodded. Somi was taller than her, a beauty with foreigner appearance - no one would have guessed that she's fluent in Korean.

 

The Japanese then took a glance at Chaeyoung on their trail, eyes looking at her surrounding, hands in her pocket. Ignoring her.

 

Sighing, Mina accepted her cruel fate.

 

Mina was unable to walk normally as her leg started to feel pain from all the walking she had.

 

"Penguin", Chaeyoung uttered.

 

Somi cracked a laugh, but quickly stopped and hide her face from Mina's piercing glares. Somi couldn't help it, Mina walks did looks like a penguin.

 

"What did you say??", Mina voice high almost bursts out of anger.

 

"Can you go any slower? We should go slower and waste our precious time here", Chaeyoung ignored the question.

 

Mina stares at Chaeyoung as her blood boils, chest heaving. What's the deal with this kid? Mina had never been treated like this.

 

Chaeyoung shrugged it off and walk forward to lead the way.

 

But someone flashed in front of her, leaving her in the dust.

 

It's Mina. She no longer feels any pain, just pure anger.

 

"Now you really ticked her off", Somi giggled. She found the action of the two was funny.

 

Chaeyoung just scoffed.

 

*****

 

"Okay, meeting dismissed", Mina gestured to both of the students. Her demeanor was cold. She can't stand being in the same room with the short-haired girl.

 

She never spared a glance at Chaeyoung during the whole meeting. She just ignored the short-haired girl existence, focusing solely on Somi - she's really that mad.

 

"The paperwork is complete with the required information. You had a copy, right? I think we just need to take care of our passport and everything should be okay. See you in two weeks. Any problem, just contact me", the message only directed to Somi.

 

Both of the students exited the office.

 

"Yah! You were treated like a spec of dust just now. Hahaha", Somi cracked the loudest laughter that she's been holding for so long.

 

Chaeyoung shrugged and checked her watch. "Somi-ya, I'm really late. I need to get going. Make one copy for me okay? Thanks", she disappeared within seconds.

 

*****

 

Mina sighed deeply, massaging her temple.

 

She literally only had one class today but she's already felt this stressful.

 

"I knew lecturer was never the profession for me."

 

"All of this is because of that beast. A beast hiding in a human skin."

 

She somewhat regretted the unprofessional act that she displayed but her ego couldn't help it. This kid was mocking her.

 

It was an absolutely new experience for Mina. Of course, she had gone through being thrown a snow at during her stay in the UK, but it is something that she can just shrug off since the perpetrators are only the naughty kids in her neighborhood.

 

Being directly mocked at is something never happened to her. People around her always treated her well.

 

Closing her eyes, leaning on the seat backrest, she wanted to rest a bit.

 

*****

 

Chaeyoung was pedaling her bicycle with great control through a crowded neighboorhood. The bike she's riding on is very old but seems like it was maintained well.

 

After a long ride, she arrived in front of a small old wooden house isolated from the crowded neighborhood. She was sweating buckets. The house is surrounded by trees, with a variety of vegetables planted on the right side, chicken coop on the left side. Dead leaves can be seen everywhere. A sight that shouldn't be found or rare in Seoul.

 

Chaeyoung slides the gate that made out of plywood and greeted by her pet cat, Ray. Ray is a male cat, had a white fur with some black spots. He made a circle around Chaeyoung and brushed his head on her legs, wanting to be petted.

 

(A/N: I'll refer Ray as He/His)

 

Chaeyoung Ray's head and was thanked by a wagging tail, tongue out.

 

A giggle came out of the short-haired girl, adorned with cute dimples - a rare expression of her. Chaeyoung was always amused by Ray's behavior. It was so much like dogs.

 

She lifted Ray and rested him on her shoulder like a baby. After her bike was parked carefully in the front yard, Chaeyoung entered the house.

 

"I'm home! I bought some food", Chaeyoung signaled her return.

 

Her younger brother was just ready to leave and Chaeyoung held out her hand, stopping him.

 

"Where are you going?", Chaeyoung asked.

 

"None of your business", he slapped Chaeyoung hand aside and ready to make his exit.

 

Chaeyoung grabbed her little brother, ready to slap some manners on him, despite being much more smaller.

 

"Chaeyoungie, you are home", Chaeyoung stopped her action, looking at her mother that was sitting in a wheelchair, pushed by her little sister. A smile grew on her face.

 

Her brother just slapped Chaeyoung hand again and exits the house.

 

Chaeyoung hissed and tried to catch him.

 

"Just let Jeongin go Chaeyoung", her mother stopped the daughter from trailing her brother.

 

Chaeyoung obeyed her mother words and stopped her chase.

 

"Come here", her mother gestured to Chaeyoung. The short-haired girl made her way towards her mother with a takeaway in her hand. Ray is already gone somewhere else, maybe chasing some mouse.

 

"I bought some food", Chaeyoung lifted the takeaway as she flashes a wide smile.

 

Her mother's hand traces Chaeyoung cheeks, "You look so exhausted my little cub. Have you eaten?", a genuine concern was apparent.

 

"Done that Ma. These are for you, Sunmin and that bastard", an annoyed expression shown once she mentions 'that bastard'.

 

"Don't call your little brother like that. He's just a teenager in his puberty", a stern but soft expression on her mother face.

 

"What did you bought Unnie?", nine years old Sunmin excitedly asked her sister.

 

"It's sweet and sour chicken! Your favorite!", Chaeyoung Sunmin head, handing over the takeaway to her.

 

It's rare for their family to eat this kind of treat. They couldn't afford it.

 

"I'll prepare it. Hehe", Sunmin eagerly made her way to the kitchen, giggling while hugging the takeaway.

 

Chaeyoung smiled at her sister reaction, her heart ache a bit. "I hope I could provide us more".

 

"Ma, I need to get ready and work soon. I had an early shift today. Eat well okay?", Chaeyoung kissed her mother cheek and made her way to her room.

 

Inside her room, Chaeyoung face turned to a white sheet as she clutched her stomach. A feeling of immense pain burrowed a hole in her stomach.

 

She hadn't eaten a meal for days. All she had eaten was gum that she got from Dahyun.

 

"This is nothing Chaeyoung", she assured herself, denying the stabbing pain.

 

Chaeyoung got up and searched for a gum to relieve her hunger. It's nothing sort of a miracle food, but it does work for Chaeyoung.

 

She changed into her comfortable clothes, packed her part-time attire neatly inside her backpack and made her way out of the room.

 

Her mother was waiting in front of her room.

 

"I'm sorry my baby. If I were careful, you won't have to do all this", her lips trembling, tears trickling down her cheeks.

 

Chaeyoung couldn't stand seeing her mother crying. She put down her backpack, kneeling, hugged her mother tightly.

 

"Never blame yourself Ma. I've told you countless time. It's okay. I'm okay. I wanted to do this", Chaeyoung held her tears. She promised herself to never show any weakness in front of her family.

 

"At least before you leave, eat with us?", her mother pleading.

 

Mother knows when their children are suffering. Mother knows best.

 

"I've had mine before I came back home Ma", Chaeyoung just smiled as she brushed the tears away from her mother face.

 

A small hand was holding Chaeyoung's hand, dragging her towards their small dining table.

 

"Don't go against Ma words Unnie...", eyes pleading, Sunmin pointed at a cushion asking Chaeyoung to sit.

 

Sunmin already prepared three bowls of rice, and she already heated the takeaway Chaeyoung bought. She wanted her Unnie to eat with them, together.

 

Chaeyoung her little sister head, bowing a bit leveling their eyes, "Okay, Unnie will eat".

 

"Thank you Unnie!", Sunmin beams widely as she goes to their mother, pushing her wheelchair towards the dining table.

 

Chaeyoung counted and noticed that Sunmin already saved some of the takeaways for Jeongin.

 

She felt so sorry for Sunmin, letting her do the chores, essentially being the house caretaker. She's just nine. She was supposed to be out there, playing like normal kids.

 

But, she never complained - ever.

 

Chaeyoung was forever thankful that she had a little sister like Sunmin. If she could give the whole world to her, she would.

 

Meanwhile, the other one is - a headache.

 

Chaeyoung is working multiple part-time jobs to support her family. She's a smart student and is under the university scholarship program. Though, every cent of the money goes to paying off her family debts, monthly.

 

The debt collectors would come to their house every first day of the month, they consist of gang members. Chaeyoung couldn't do anything against them - afraid of her family getting hurt. Running away was never a choice, they only had this house - their precious home left by her late father.

 

Chaeyoung watches her mother and little sister eat happily.

 

What more could she ask? The happy faces of her family are her happiness.

 

"Here. Eat", her mother noticed that Chaeyoung hand is not moving, she feeds her daughter with her spoon.

 

Chaeyoung hesitantly opened up . Looking at her mother smile, she receives it mouthful.

 

"Unnie, here. I give you mine!", Sunmin placed a piece of chicken on Chaeyoung bowl.

 

Sunmin grinned widely and Chaeyoung couldn't refuse her offer. She couldn't hurt this little girl feeling.

 

Chaeyoung ate in silence, with a little smile in every spoon she had. 

 

Afraid that she'll break if she ever uttered a word.

 

*****

 

A/N:

 

I've been busy this past week and couldn't quite come up with moods to write too. I apologize if you've waited. (Which I'm sure no one is. LOL)

So how was it?

We're getting to know a little bit about Chaeyoung here.

Her little brother and sister, Sunmin and Jeongin are actually from the reality show Stray Kids. I'm sure some of you knew about them. Stray Kids will be debuting soon!

Please leave your thought in the comment section below. Thank you for your time reading my story!