Chapter 3 - Hope

Destiny

Mina was sitting comfortably on her new office couch, it's comfier compared to anything that she had ever sat on. 

 

"This is my office", Mina thought, carefully placing her head on the small pillows that came together with the couch. 

 

She still needs to wait for Jeongyeon, there is still an hour from their agreed time. She's exhausted from the flight and decided to rest for a while waiting.

 

Thoughts floating on Mina's mind as she closed her eyes, recalling memories about Nayeon. 

 

"What if we are still together..." thinking about what would she do first when she arrived here - Nayeon will be there, waiting, and she will be hugging Nayeon with her whole heart, holds her hand tight, kisses her lips right, never letting her go.

 

But its just an empty dreams. Nayeon is gone, no longer with her. Deep inside Mina's heart, she still can't accept it and wish for Nayeon to return to her...

 

Cheer up baby~ Cheer up baby~

 

Mina phone rang and she picked it up.

 

"M- Mina..." a shaking voice cracking on the phone.

 

"I'm sorry, who's this?" Mina checked her phone display but no number is being displayed. She can't decipher the voice because it's too vague.

 

"Take me away from here", the voice pleading desperately. 

 

It's Nayeon.

 

Mina panicked. Why would Nayeon suddenly call her out of nowhere after dumping her?

 

Yet, Mina instinctively asked, "Where are you? I will be there in a second" while making her way out of the office.

 

She didn't ask anything about what's on her mind, all she wanted was Nayeon to be okay.

 

Nayeon told her that she is waiting for her at 'their' place. Mina knew right away and proceeded to take a taxi and she kept telling the driver to go faster. 

 

She needs to be by Nayeon side as soon as possible.

 

The taxi stops in front of a cafe, Mina abruptly exits the car without paying, running towards the cafe. The driver shouted at her, but nothing else mattered right now but Nayeon. 

 

Mina pushed the cafe's door wide. Frantically searching, her head and body twisted around scanning on every part of the cafe.

 

Then... she found someone that she had been looking for sitting in the corner, gazing at her, crying. Mina could tell that she's in a bad condition.

 

Mina paused. Time seems to stop. Her eyes locked on that person - she still pretty as Mina remembered. Mina breath was heavy, heaving chest, her heart struggling to bursts out.

 

She has never been this desperate to hold someone. Mina misses Nayeon, and there is never a second she didn't miss her.

 

She wants to hold Nayeon, and there is nothing else in the world she wanted now but to hold Nayeon right.

 

Nayeon eyes still locked on her. Tears wetting her face, she looked so exhausted.

 

Nayeon slowly brought herself to her feet, looks of longing in her eyes, ran towards Mina--

 

"Mina-ya! Mina-ya!!" 

 

Jeongyeon's loud voice woke Mina up. Looks of concern are painted on Jeongyeon face.

 

"Are you okay?" Jeongyeon asked as she sat beside Mina on the couch. 

 

She was so shocked when she found Mina was sobbing intensely in her sleep. She tried to shake and called Mina several times to wake her up. The pillow that Mina used was soaked with tears.

 

There is no reply. Blank expression was shown on Mina's humid face. She just stared at Jeongyeon, making Jeongyeon flustered.

 

The awkward stare ended with a question, "Where is my Nayeon?".

 

"Nayeon? You were asleep just now, Mina-ya". Jeongyeon smoothes Mina's shoulder trying to comfort her. The name Mina mentioned is a bit familiar but Jeongyeon doesn't think much about it.

 

Mina realizes it was all a dream. It was a dream comes from her hope, hoping for another chance to be together with Nayeon - it was quickly shattered. 

 

She cried, again. Wailing for Nayeon's name, hitting herself on the chest to get rid of the heartache that's killing her.

 

She wanted Nayeon by her side, so badly.

 

Never in Mina's life, she looked so miserable.

 

Warm hug enveloped around Mina, trying to stop Mina from hitting herself.

 

"It's okay, it's okay", Jeongyeon was confused but nevertheless tried to calm Mina down.

 

Unable to think of a way to react, she instinctively hugged Mina.

 

It's awkward. They just got to know each other several hours ago, now she's hugging the Japanese girl. Jeongyeon could never leave someone in this situation alone. She had always had been a compassionate person.

 

Jeongyeon feels Mina whole body shaking in her hugs, thus she tightens her hug. She Mina's back to soothe her, and to her surprise, Mina returns Jeongyeon's hug.

 

It was an unexpected reaction, but Jeongyeon feels a little bit relieved. Mina cried on Jeongyeon shoulder as she muttered Nayeon name again and again.

 

Mina uncontrollable cry lasts for several minutes. She slowed down a bit after then, slowly regained her composure, still sobbing.

 

Abruptly, Mina releases her hug from Jeongyeon and quickly averted her eyes from Jeongyeon - She never felt so embarrassed. 

 

Showing her state like this to someone she just met is unthinkable. Some boundary should be drawn between people that have met recently.

 

Jeongyeon cupped her hands on Mina's cheek and bring her head close to Mina's - too close to Mina's comfort. Mina was shocked her eyes opened widely.

 

Jeongyeon studied Mina face for a moment and asked, "Are you okay now?"

 

Mina stuttered in her response, "Y-Yes, I'm okay now". She feels that her face is burning from the embarrassment.

 

Jeongyeon then released her hand from Mina, "It's okay. You shouldn't be embarrassed, I'm used to comforting people, and I liked doing it". She smiles widely at MIna.

 

"You still look pretty when you are crying", Jeongyeon tried to lighten the mood.

 

Mina blushes as smiles a little and said, "Thank you, Jeong".

 

Mina was shocked at the way she addressed Jeongyeon just now. She wanted to hit herself, what's wrong with her suddenly calling people with familiarity like that. She was flustered and tried to think of a way to explain.

 

Jeongyeon noticed Mina's act and quickly replied, "Welcome, and I'd like that. Please call me Jeong from now on". Jeongyeon patted on Mina's head, letting her know it's okay. 

 

Mina just awkwardly smiles and nodded. Relieved she's saved from the awkward situation.

 

The brunette eyed on Jeongyeon shoulder where she just cried on, and its a mess.

She cupped her hand together and apologetically said, "I'm sorry I ruined your jacket. I will pay for it" Mina felt somewhat responsible as the jacket now in a horrible state.

 

"It's an exclusive jacket from a renowned designer..." Jeongyeon tried to tease Mina a bit.

 

Mina looks like a child being scolded by her mother. Jeongyeon finds it cute and funny, small laugh leaving . Mina was perturbed.

 

"It's okay Minaring. Really." Jeongyeon decided to call her that name since it has a nice 'ring' to it. Now they are even, and she hoped Mina accepts it. 

 

"Though, would you mind telling me about this Nayeon? It's okay if you don't want to", Jeongyeon asked because she's curious about that name and she wanted to help Mina ease her burden. 

 

Mina hesitates, but she blurted it out, "It's my ex-girlfriend. We broke up recently".

 

Mina feels like telling Jeongyeon is fine. Mina lost her composure from the 'broke up' words and she started crying again. Without her knowing, she goes on a ramble telling Jeongyeon her story about Nayeon getting married and all.

 

"Nayeon? Im Nayeon?" Jeongyeon was surprised by Mina's story.

 

"Yes", Mina replied short, as she was still sobbing her way out of sadness. 

 

"I think she's my distant cousin, and yes, I did receive an invitation to her wedding this coming Saturday". Jeongyeon told Mina but quickly regrets it as she knew that news will hurt Mina deeply.

 

"That's true then...", small voice exits through Mina's mouth.

 

The sliver of hope that still exists deep within her heart is crumbling. Hoping all of these are lies, hoping that miraculously Nayeon came back to her, just like the dream that she had.

 

But, it's true. Nayeon is getting married.

 

*****

 

A/N:

How was it? A dream is so cliche right? LOL.

 

Please leave your thought in the comments below.

 

I would like to hear from you. What kind of ship would you like to see sailing?