SIX: THE RESCUE (PT.1)

Entry Unknown.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Vee, can you try opening Jung Yerin’s UC logbook again.”

 

“Ms Kim. It’s corrupted I can’t open it.”

 

Sojung sighed. She had been busy for the last few hours, sacrificing her sleep trying to open Yerin’s UC logbook. She needed to know what her last entry was about. So much was going on in her head. She was mentally and emotionally drained. She had so much on her mind. Yerin’s in danger, Eunha is really angry at her and Sinb wouldn’t forgive her. Things took a drastic turn for Sojung. As the handler, it was her duty to protect the fellow UCs with everything she’s got, but now she’s completely lost, unsure and full of self doubt whether she was even fit to be their handler in the first place. 

 

“Vee, can you try troubleshooting again, but this time try not to remove any entries will you?”

 

“Yes, Ms Kim.”

 

*Initiating Troubleshoot*

 

Lines and lines of code filled the monitors as Sojung’s eyes wandered left and right searching for the problem.

 

“Wait, Vee. I see the problem.”

 

“I do too Ms Kim.”

 

“37, there try removing that foreign code, it doesn’t belong in the database.”

 

“Yes Ms Kim.”

 

“ Code:46gh8 removed. Jung Yerin’s Logbook accessed.”

 

Sojung finally heaved a sigh of relief, after countless tries Sojung finally got what she needed. She leaned back in her chair as she closed her eyes.

 

“Wait for me Yerin. I’m coming to save you.”

 

“Open Entry 46.”

 

Yerin’s entry filled the screen as Sojung read and read. It the very last entry Yerin had submitted before all of these happened. The last line hit Sojung right in the heart. It was the moment where she felt like a complete failure 

 

“I felt totally helpless just watching, and not being able to do a single thing. Is this all the years of training of being a UC is like?

I had to wait.”

 

Tears streamed down Sojung’s face. The guilt hit her harder than ever. She regretted ever making Yerin go through this on site because the truth was, Sojung was too afraid to finish it herself, her goal was to apprehend HyungEun but she couldn’t do it. She trusted Yerin more than herself. Hadn’t she put Yerin on such a dangerous on site, none of these would’ve happened in the first place. 

 

Sojung never completed her last on site because she was afraid. She was terrified of losing her life. 

 

“I’m so sorry Yerin… I should’ve have made you go through this…” 

 

---

 

Sinb laid on her bed, hands on her stomach. The room was so silent she could hear her own heartbeat. Yewon had fallen deep asleep while Sinb was wide awake. She had too much going on in her head for her to even close her eyes. 

 

She recalled the conversation she had earlier with Yewon.

 

“What about your mom? Do you think she’s still alive?”

 

She closed her eyes. Trying very hard to remember her past. She began seeing flashes and fragments. She could see. They were glimpses of what seemed like her past but they were vague.

 

There. She saw it. 

 

Her mother. She was beautiful, just like her. But that smile was fading. Why was it fading? 

 

And her father. 

 

Fighting. 

 

“YOU’RE NEVER AROUND WHEN I NEED YOU! OUR CHILD I SICK, SHE’S SICK AND IN PAIN AND YOU ARE NEVER AROUND.”

 

“I WANT TO BE AROUND. I REALLY DO! BUT I CAN’T AND YOU KNOW THAT!”

 

“I DON’T EVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN. LEAVE AND DON’T EVER COME BACK. EUNBI DOESN’T NEED A FATHER LIKE YOU.”

 

“LIS-“

 

“LEAVE!”

 

Little Eunbi was peeking from behind the door. She was terrified. She remembered.  She watched her parents argue before her very eyes. Very clearly. 

 

Meanwhile Sinb was grasping her bedsheets tightly, she was fidgeting around as if she was trapped. Tears were rolling down the sides of temple.  

 

The accident. 

 

“Eunbi, wait here for me alright? I’m going to just go across to get something.”

 

That smile. That warm smile. It felt both familiar and unfamiliar. It looked just like Sojung’s smile but plastered on another person’s face, a person she couldn’t really feel the connection with, unfortunately. 

 

BAM. 

 

Just like that. Her mother was on the ground. 

 

“AHHHHH!”

 

Yewon got startled at the sudden sound that woke her up. She turned to her left and what she saw was startling. The veins on Sinb’s body were glowing green. Sinb looked like she was in immense pain, whimpering and mumbling incoherent words. Yewon panicked as she immediately rushed towards Sinb’s bedside. 

 

“Sinb! Hey wake up! Don’t scare me!”

 

The driver. She saw the face. He left. Leaving the young 6 year old with her mother’s motionless and bleeding body. 

 

The face she will forget. She knows who it was. 

 

“Sinb!”

 

Yewon was in a complete state of panic, she didn’t know what to do. Sinb was cold as ice and her veins were still glowing green. 

 

“SINB!”

 

She could hear someone calling for her, but she’s trapped. She couldn’t get out of the trance. She fought, she needs to get out, it was killing her inside. 

 

“SINB!”

 

A different voice, and the person was continuously nudging her. Oddly, the voice made her feel safe, and drawn to. Sojung was calling for her. 

 

Sinb was breathless and sweat trickled down her neck and forehead. Sojung was hovering over her face and her vein

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter