Chapter 5

Still in my heart

Eunbi takes her luggage and walks to the exit. Taekwang waves his hand and Eunbi walks faster to him. He hugs her so tightly. 

“How’s your flight?” Taekwang asked her

“It’s long flight but worth it. I miss you” Eunbi said

“Aigoo. My dear I miss you too.” Taekwang takes her luggage.

They take a train to his apartment. 

He didn’t waste much time. He kisses her many times when they reach his flat. However, his phone is ringing loudly. He takes his phone. He checks his schedule and he remembers that he needs to go to his university.

“Ah mianhae. I need to go. I have to see my professor. Do you want to see my campus?” Taekwang said

“Sure. I want to see it.”

They fix their shirt and they walks to his university. 

The university is different from hers. This has a classic architecture. She amazes with the building. 

Taekwang walks towards a bunch of people. He waves and they waves back. He introduces his friends. They also from seoul and they seem nice but this one particular girl is looking her differently.

“This is Han Soo Ah, Lee Chang Sub and Lee Min Hyuk. Me, Chang sub and  Min Hyuk have the major. Only Soo Ah is different. Guys, this is my Eunbi.” Taekwang said

“Hi nice to meet you.” They said

“Eunbi, I need to go for awhile, Soo Ah will show you around the campus. I’ll be back after I finished. Is it okay?” Taekwang said

Eunbi nods and says, “take your times”

Taekwang caress her hair and then he leave with his friends.

“So you’re the famous Eunbi.” Han Soo Ah said

“Ah. Is Taekwang talked about me?” Eunbi said

“Ne. A lot actually. He always said that he needs to go back to seoul to see you.”

“Really?”

“Ne. He missed many opportunities though. Going back and forth are exhausting. Yet he needs to finished his paper and report.”

“What do you meant he missed many opportunities?”

“Well, during the break, they offer us to the intern here. It will benefit us but he always back to Seoul.”

“Ah. He never said anything about this.”

“Maybe because he doesn’t want you to feel guilty. I just think that you’re holding him back. I think he can be great if he just focused on his study.”

Eunbi stop her step and she really wants Soo Ah to stop talking but Soo Ah is right. She’s indeed holding him back. She always ask him to go back to her. Taekwang is a brilliant guy and he can achieve anything when he sets his mind. Suddenly she feels guilty.

She loves him so much but she know that she can’t be selfish. He won’t let her go unless Eunbi do something extreme. 

However the idea of losing him is already makes her devastating.

 

During Eunbi stays, Taekwang is so busy with his study. She knows that he tries so hard to make time for her. She understands that he wants her to feel comfortable but the more he tries, the more her heart aches. 

Taekwang always support her. Even when she has no one, he always stay beside her. She doesn’t want him to sacrifice his dream for her. She always thought distance won’t bother their relationship but then again whom she was kidding.

On the last day, Taekwang takes Eunbi to the airport. He doesn’t want to let her go. Eunbi just smile and says,

“Gong Taekwang. We. Let’s break up.”

Gong Taekwang was dumbfounded. He didn’t know that she would said that.

“What?!” Taekwang said loudly

“I don’t think I can’t be your girlfriend anymore. I can’t do this again.” Eunbi said coldly while hiding her tears

“Ya. Go Eunbi!” Taekwang is speechless

“I need to board in few minutes. Take care. Okay.” Eunbi takes her luggage and walks.

Taekwang reach her wrist and says, “Ya! What’re you talking about?! Break up?”

“Let’s not make a scene. I already told you. I want us to break up.”

“Why?” 

“I don’t think this will work out.”

“Ya. Go Eunbi. Just tell me, what did I do wrong? We can work it out.”

“Ani. There’s nothing wrong with you. Let go my hand.” Eunbi said firmly

“Ani. Something was wrong. Tell me!”

“If you love me, then let me go.” Eunbi said

“Is this what you really want?” Taekwang asked

“Ne.” Eunbi said

“I understand.” Taekwang said while he let go of her hands. Eunbi walks away from him. He sees her back fading away from him.

Her tears are falling and she won’t turn around. She wished that he won’t stop her again. If he did that, she won’t be able to act anymore. Deep down of her heart, she actually want him to stop her one more time.

However, they are just too timid to make a bold move again. They’re just giving up.

 

***

 

5 years later

 

Eunbi is sitting on her desk at the teacher office. She’s a teacher in her old school at Tongyeong. She checks her students homeworks. 

She finished before getting dark. She check the room one more time before leaving. She locks the door and walks to exit. 

A tall guy waves his hand at her. She smiles at him.

“Did I make you wait?” Eunbi asked

“Ani. I just finished my show.” Ji Soo Ho said.

“How’s your show?” Eunbi asked

“It’s okay. Should we eat something before home?” 

“Sure.”

Eunbi goes to his car. They drive to a small restaurant and they eat dinner together. After dinner, he drop her off at her house. He kiss her forehead and she smiles at him.

She enters her tiny apartment and toss her body to her bed. She turn on the radio to hear her boyfriend show.

He is a dj at a local radio show. They met by accident and one thing let to another. He asked her to be his girlfriend. Eunbi rejects him so many times before finally accept him. It takes a long of time for her to finally take a big step of moving forward. She suppressed the memories of her and Taekwang. Locked away hidden somewhere in her heart.

 

The next day, Eunbi wakes up late. She’s dashing to the school. She arrives just before the bell ring. The students greet her and she starts her day with teaching them. 

After the class, the rain starts to pour so hard. Eunbi checks her bag and she can’t find her umbrella. She forgot to bring it. She sighs and wonders what should she do. 

“Ya. For someone who scold me when I was sick because I forgot to bring the umbrella, don’t you think you should also brought one?” A guy with an umbrella stop in front of her. 

She looks up and see him. He smiles at her and says, “hallo Go Eunbi.”

 

***

 

Epilogue 

 

“Congratulations Taekwang ah.” Soo Ah said

“Gomawo.” Taekwang said

“Ya! The youngest manager of your company! Let’s celebrate with the others.” 

“Araso. Let’s call them and we meet at our usual place.” 

“Yay! I will write in the group. Ya! You owe me big! This is what happens when you do what I told you. I always know that you meant for something great.”

“Thank you. You always believe in me and push me to achieve something better.” Taekwang ruffles her hairs

“Hehe. You should listen to me from the beginning. You will get this faster than now. But I am glad that you finally make it so I don’t feel guilty anymore.”

“Guilty?” Taekwang asked

“Ah. You don’t need to know. It just long time ago. Let’s go! They’re already on their way.”

“Okay.”

 

After the party, Taekwang takes Soo Ah to her flat. She’s a little bit tipsy. She’s starting to act funny.

“Ya. Gong Taekwang. Saranghae.” Soo Ah said

“Ne. You told me hundred times already.” Taekwang carries her in his back

“I meant it. I always get jealous when you talk about other girls.”

Taekwang just keep silent. He knows already about her feeling but he doesn’t want to jeopardize their friendship. He already lose someone he holds really dearly. He can’t lose his friends again. Soo Ah is the one who stay by his side when things get rough especially after Eunbi dump him. It tooks years for him to finally move on. She always supports his dream and she pushes him beyond his ability. He’s thankful for what she did.

Soo Ah continues her rambling, “especially that girl from seoul. Go Eunbi.”

Taekwang stop his step when he heard her name. There’s a hole in his heart that can’t be fulfilled with anything even his success.

“But thankfully she listen to me. Unlike you, she agree to what I said after just one talk.”

“What did you said to her?” Taekwang said coldly 

“I said that you missed many opportunities by going back to Seoul, to see her. She listened well and do the right thing. Because of that you can achieve all of this. See! I am right! I always right!”

Taekwang is surprised. He didn’t believe what he just heard. He puts Soo Ah down. 

“You did what?!” Taekwang said angrily

“Ya. Don’t shout!” Soo Ah said

“This makes sense now. Why she did that. If it’s not because you’re my friend! I...” Taekwang said angrily 

“Ya! I did it for you. Are you going to throw all your achievements just because a girl that easily giving you up.”

“I am the one who’s giving her up to easily.”

Taekwang left Soo Ah near her flat. He walks faster and doesn’t look back. He realizes he made a biggest mistake in his life.