SIX

Learning to Trust Again

“Hey, Jessica, can I ask you something?” Lay asked one day during lunch. He was acting different, a bit more shy.

I nodded. “Yeah, I guess.”

“And you’ll answer me honestly?” he asked, looking into my eyes. He looked nervous, which was making me nervous.

I nodded again, but slowly this time. “Yeah...”

He sat up straight in his chair and wiped his hands off on his pants. I could see the tiniest hint of a blush in his cheeks. “To tell you the truth, I haven’t been coming over here just to give you some company.” he confessed, the words coming out quickly.

My heart raced and I could feel my palms sweating.

Seeing my reaction, he shook his head and held up his hands. “It’s not what you think. I haven’t really been dishonest with you.” He took in a deep breath, steadying himself. “I came over here that first day because I wanted to... ask you out... but I chickened out and I thought it would be better to get to know you. I didn’t want to rush you into anything because I know about what happened this past summer and I wanted you to trust me first.”

I felt my mouth hanging open and I released a breath I hadn’t realized I was keeping in. I was so relieved that he hadn’t said he was here on a dare or just wanted to get into my pants. I felt even better hearing that he’d been so considerate of me. When he started sitting with me, I hadn’t been ready for anything romance-wise, so I probably would have freaked out and rejected him, thinking he was just like Kai. Having spent time with Lay, getting to know him, I feel like I can trust him and take a chance with him.

I coughed, trying to regain my composure. “So, uh... What did you want to ask me?”

He smiled, his dimple showing, and reached across the table to touch my hand. Initially, I wanted to jerk it away, but I didn’t. It took so much willpower, but I didn’t. “I wanted to ask you if you would be interested in going out with me. Like, a date.”

I nodded. “I would like that.”