THREE

Learning to Trust Again

On Wednesday of that same week, I was sitting at my table, alone as usual, when the chair across from me was pulled out and someone sat down. I looked up, eyes wide with surprise. The person now seated at my table was Zhang Yixing, though everyone just called him Lay. I’m not sure why he got that nickname, but I didn’t really want to ask. Most of the football players went by nicknames or alternate names, and I’d never asked anyone for the reason why.

“Hey, Jessica.” he said, his voice sweet and light. I’d never actually spoken to him, or really hung out with him, so his presence was a bit strange. He’s probably here on a dare.

All I could do was nod and try not to choke on the bite I’d been chewing.

“Mind if I sit with you?” he asked. I noticed he hadn’t gotten comfortable yet, which just shows that he really cares if I want to be left alone.

“I don’t mind.” I said, trying to keep my voice even.

For a few minutes, neither of us spoke. I finished eating my sandwich and he started on his noodles. Since he came to me, I was just waiting for him to make conversation. When it didn’t look like he was thinking along the same lines, I started gathering up my things to leave. I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder.

“Wait.” He was looking up at me with the cutest expression on his face. “Why don’t you stay? Don’t you usually sit here until the bell rings for class?”

I nod. “Yeah, but you’re sitting here today.”

He smiled. “I only sat here because of you. I thought you looked lonely...” I sat back down across from him and smiled, trying to look more friendly and inviting. Even if I didn’t know him, I didn’t want to sever a potential friendship with him. He’s the only person that’s even spoken to me without being required to.

“I sit here every day, though. Did I look lonelier today than usual?” I sighed. “Or are you here because your friends dared you to sit with me?”

He looked surprised and a little hurt and I immediately regretted letting myself say that. I tried to speak, to apologize, but he didn’t give me the chance. “Actually,” He smiled, a dimple appearing on one side of his face. “I’ve been trying to work up the nerve to come and sit with you for a few weeks.”

My face felt hot and I couldn’t stop blinking. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have—”

“No, it’s okay. No offense but it makes sense why you would think that. You’ve been sitting here alone since school started because Taeyeon shunned you.” He kept eating, doing a good job of not making a mess. He seemed very well-mannered and kind of shy, so it must have been difficult to come over and sit with me, even if I am the loneliest girl in school. “Honestly, though, I only wanted to give you some company.”

I just looked down at my lap, picking at the loose threads in my jeans because I wasn’t able to meet his eyes. “Well, thank you.”

He just nodded with a smile and continued to eat his noodles.