Not as Planned

A Work in Progress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I prepared myself for what I would say and do as I stode down the hallway with mock-confidence. What I had pictured in my mind’s eye when I imagined walking into my future boss’ office was something like two men in suits having an argument, maybe one would have his arms crossed or, judging from the volume of their conversation, maybe one or both would be a bit red in the face. Although despite the fact that their argument was very audible audible from the moment I stepped out of the elevator on the third floor, my brain was too busy reeling to ascertain the contents of noise.

I would fling open the door and say something along the lines of, “I accept the job offer” or something cool like, "See you Monday morning." And then... well I hadn’t really worked out much further than that. But as I drew near the door labeled with a gold placard labeled “Director of Public Relations Byun Baekhyun”, I didn't allow myself to hesitate, knowing that if I did I would talk myself out of it, and flung open the door.

Instead of the semi-calm though stern atmosphere I had imagined, I found a room electrified with aggression and tension. Jongin was facing away from me gripping the collar of Mr. Byun’s button-down. Something about the way his body moved was animalistic and frightening. He voice was different than I had ever heard it before as he growled out in a gravely voice.

“Don’t even think about touching my mate.” Mate?

“Mate? Kai, what are you talking about?" Exactlymy question. "I’ve never even met her. Yo, chill out!”

“Jongin!” I yelled out just a Mr. Byun said something else that I couldn’t make out over my own voice. But it was as if he couldn’t hear me and he released his grip on the shirt only to shove Mr. Byun into the wall. Initially he had had his hands up, as if claiming innocence, but after Jongin shoved him the look on his face changed and I could have sworn his eyes took on a slightly red hue. 

In my fear, my body took over and started moving. Only instead of moving backwards out the door to safety, my missguided feet were taking me towards the very source of my fear. 

What was this even about? None of this made sense. I could not understand why Jongin would be mad at his own friend just for being a bit unprofessional. Even if he was mad, this was not the Jongin I knew; the Jongin who let his shoulder get wet so I could fit under the umbrella or the Jongin who comforted me after a panic attack. 

I was still somewhat behind Jongin as he pinned his now fully infuriated friend to the wall. Mr. Byun was trying to overpower Jongin and I could see this turning into a fist fight soon.

“Jongin!” I shouted again, now right behind him, and attempted to grab his shoulder and get his attention. Just as my hand touched his shoulder, he jerked at my touch and flung his arm back. His forearm hit my chest with a force I never could have predicted and I felt myself flying backwards, unable to keep my feet underneath me. As Jongin spun around I glimpsed that same red haze in his eyes for just a second, then his eyes widened in recognition and the haze was gone like it had never been there in the first place. Before I could wonder if I had seen it at all, the back of my head collided with something hard and darkness consumed my vision.

…. 

Baekhyun was going to have his handed to him. Who did he think he was treating Sonja like that? I stormed down the hallway of the third floor where the design and PR offices were located. I rarely came here if I didn’t have to because the combination of Chanyeol and Baekhyun on one floor were too much to handle. I didn’t bother knocking when I reached Baekhyun’s office and let myself in, the door thwacking against the wall despite its weight.

“Hey, Kai, not often I see you around here," He started. "Woah, what’s got you all pissy?” Baekhyun twirled a ballpoint pen across the fingers of his right hand and leaned back in his chair.

“You.” Baekhyun stood at the accusation.

And that’s when I lost it. I could feel my wolf taking over and I jumped over his desk in one swift leap and grabbed him by his shirt collar.

“Don’t even think about touching my mate.” I growled out.

“Mate? Kai, what are you talking about? I’ve never even met her. Yo, chill out!” He raised his hands as if to claim innocence. "Don’t come ruining my mood, I just hired this really hot assistant and--” My wolf roared in my ears at hearing someone else talk about lusting after Sonja and I couldn’t hear anything out of his mouth after that. Baekhyun had given up trying to convince me I was wrong and mirrored my grip. I slammed him into the wall and was about to pull a punch when something grabbed my shoulder. I turned my body instinctually, shooting my forearm out first to push off whoever was coming at me from behind.

Only when my head followed with the rest of my body did I see Sonja, eyes wide flying backwards into Baekhyun’s desk. I couldn’t move fast enough and the sound her head made as it hit the edge of the mahogany desk echoed through my ears with a deafening crackk. Her hazel eyes rolled back and shut. I managed to grab her just before she slumped to the ground.

Just about then as I stared in shock at the woman in my arms, Chanyeol came waltzing through Baekhyun’s door.

“Hey, will you two quit it already? I don’t like the smell of blood in the office for goodness sake-- wait why does it smell like…” Chanyeol walked forward and his eyes landed on Sonja. “Human blood.” His large eyes were even wider than normal. “Who is that?”

My eyes returned to Sonja, my mate.

“.” I heard Baekhyun mutter behind me.

“Get Lay.” My heart was pounding in my ears and I wasn’t even sure if the words that came out of my mouth were audible until I heard both Chanyeol and Baekhyun making calls. I cradled Sonja’s head and felt the gash, wet with blood, where she had hit the desk. I didn’t know what to do. I was frozen, afraid that any move would harm her further. Some time passed, I couldn’t be sure how much, as it felt somehow very brief and arduously long at the same time, and then Lay and Suho were both in Baekhyun’s office, which was now quite crowded.

“Kai?” I heard Lay faintly but I was dialed in on Sonja. “Kai.” Her racing pulse and shaky breaths. 

“Jongin.” Suho’s voice finally snapped me out of it.

“Yes?” I answered.

“Lay’s going to examine her.” I nodded slowly.

“Okay.” 

“You’ll need to let her go.” My head snapped at that and I could feel my wolf snapping to take over again.

“No, no,” Lay started. “It’s okay. You can hold her. Just remember you need to stay calm and in control of your wolf right now. For Sonja. Can you do that?” I reined in control and took a deep breath.

“Yes. Whatever she needs. Please Lay. Oh god, I didn’t meant to, I mean I didn’t know she was there and--”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter