CH 5: THE DIARY

The Ascender

Yuju bit her lower lip as she tried to control her anger. She quicken her pace in walking that she almost bumping into every student in her way. The new student is really getting on her nerve now and declared enemy seemed to be the best choice.

‘That guy is really unbelievable!’ she thought to herself. Yuju didn’t know why she is too caring about Mingyu that she just had to bought bread, using her own money, deliver it to him just to be accused about trying to hurt him even more. She is suddenly feeling proud because she had the gut to threw the bread right to his face, and he just even healed from the burn.

‘That might sting…’ Yuju stopped in her track. ‘But… he deserved it!’ She continued. She reached her classroom and opened to door. Luckily the classroom teacher, Mr. Kim hasn’t come in yet. Yuju walked to her desk, roughly pull her chair and sat on it.

“Are you alright, Yuju?” Jihyo asked.

“Yes. Why are you asking?” Yuju smiled.

“Well, you look angry.” Jihyo replied.  “Anyway, where did you go?”

“Oh, eh, about that…” Yuju stuttered. “I went to the cafeteria?”

“Really? I got back to class so I can ask you to join me after visiting Mingyu. But you don’t seem to be there…” Jihyo stated. It’s because Yuju went to the cafeteria to buy some bread for Mingyu. She could not let Jihyo and others see her. But Yuju just kept it to herself. “But, I don’t see you at the cafeteria?”

“Y-you don’t? Well, maybe I went somewhere after that.”  Yuju smiled nervously.

“You went to go see Mingyu?” Jihyo asked and Yuju’s smile quickly flatten. Did Jihyo knew?

“N-No! Why should I? I have something to do, I told you right? Yeah, that’s why haha” Yuju laughed, trying to cover her trace.

“I’m just kidding!” Jihyo pat her shoulder. “If you want to see Mingyu you should just have come with us earlier.”

“Err… yes.” Yuju nodded. She exhaled a breath of relieve. People will misunderstand her if they knew she did went to see Mingyu, especially Jihyo, knowing how her eyes glittering when talking about Mingyu. Yuju reached for her beg beside her desk to get her textbook, and stop when she looked at Mingyu’s desk. Although she and Mingyu are enemy now, she still has to face him everyday when they literally sit beside each other. Yuju sighed. She straightened her back when her eyes caught something under his desk.

A book.

 

 

It’s history class, and they went to AV room, as their teacher wanted to show them some historical video clips. Yuju and Jihyo took their seat near the curtained window.

“Yuju do you have some sweets? I left mine at the class.” Jihyo asked as she need the sweets, or something that she could chew so she could stay awake. She knew historical class would be very boring, even with the help of video clips that thought would caught the student’s attentions.

“I think I do.” Yuju opened her pencil case and searching for some chewing gums she remembered to put them into it. “Here.” Yuju put the chewing gum on Jihyo’s table and she quickly put one into , chewing slowly. Mr. Kim saw them but he didn’t really mind. As long as they could stay awake during his class, that would be really helpful.

“So today we will talk about Industrial Revolution in England during middle 18th to 19th centuries. The main features recognized during this revolution were technological, socioeconomic and cultural. Let me show you some clips to give you guys more idea and exposure towards the subject we will talk today. Wait a minute.” Mr. Kim worked on the computer, searching for the said video.

“Do you know? Vampires believed to be existed since 1740s.” Yuju heard the two girls behind her talking in low voices behind them.

 “Hey, we aren’t talking about vampires now.” The other girl chuckling.

“I know, it’ s just something that I keep digging nowadays, you know, since the news about bloodless bodies found in our area.” Another girl replied.

“Or you’re not move on from the vampires’ movie series.” They both laughing.

Mr. Kim coughed, as a signal that he is going to start the video and want all students to keep quiet. They did keep quiet, as some of them are really paying attention, and some are just going to dreamland. Typical student. The video about the Industrial Revolution played until the end.

“So, any questions about the video?” Mr. Kim asked. Some of them shook their heads while some not even bother to respond. Mr. Kim sighed again. “So, as you guys know, Industrial Revolution is one of the important event to marked in history, as how technologies changed over the years and drastically changed our lives today. Industrial Revolution, in modern history, is the process of change from an agrarian and handicraft economy to one dominated by industry and machine manufacturing.”

“Mr. Kim.” Yeonguk raised his hand. “The world is getting more advance and leap forward towards technologies, you know, modernized, that should mean there is no more folk tales, right?”

“No correlation, Yeonguk.” Mr. Kim shook his head. “We are talking about technologies here, not some literature.”

“What I mean is, Mr. Kim, people should be “modernized” right? With technologies around, that must be when all gibberish tales disappeared, you know, like witch and vampires?” Yeonguk laughs. Two girls behind Yuju and Jihyo shot him a look.

“Yeonguk, I don’t know about that. You’re talking about something that we don’t discuss during history class, unless if it includes literature. But, since you seem like talking now, open the textbook page 90 and read it.” Mr. Kim stated. Other students were chuckling and Yeonguk sighed hard.

 

 

Mingyu bowed down to the nurse before exiting the infirmary room. He knew the school session has ended as he heard the bell rang and saw some students already leaving the school’s gate.

It has been a very long day, as all he did is resting and sleeping in the infirmary room although he has fully healed. His face was completely turned to normal. He didn’t even go outside for lunch, as he remembered the bread the girl with long hair brought to him. He ate it anyway as he felt hungry.

That Yuju girl.

Maybe he was too rude. Yuju has every right to throw even a brick to his face. The girl hates him with all her will, and he, if he wants, he can just ignore it. It’s not like he is going to spend the entire year there. He will vanish like thin air when he found a victim. But since he hadn’t found one, he needs to face Yuju again, with her besides him.

Mingyu walked to his class and spent a couple of hours there until sunset. No one will be there. His classmates surely love dismissed early. And he need his diary. He’s pretty sure he left it under his table. Mingyu peeked inside, making sure there is no one there in the class. He’s right. There is no one there.

Mingyu walked to his desk and he slightly looked at Yuju’s for a second. He sighed and sat down. His hand searched for his diary and he started to get confused. He looked under his table and there is nothing there.

‘Did I left it at home?’ Mingyu thought. With the terrible accidents during P.E class, he didn’t know anymore. He didn’t remember if he brought along the diary along with him. ‘Maybe I left it.’ Besides, he doesn’t think anyone would be interest in it.

Mingyu shook his head. He looked outside the window. The sky looks clear and there are still students around the school. Without his diary to pour his thought, he is not quite sure what to do until sunset. Maybe he could do some revision, or he could just go home early and search for his diary. Mingyu decided it’s the latter.

 

 

Yuju nervously grabbed her backpack that now in her arms. After sending Jihyo home, Yuju breathed out with relief. Why did she felt so guilty with someone’s else diary in her bagpack she wished no one will know? That’s right. Because it’s a diary. Of someone’s. Yuju immediately thought it’s not a clever way to get revenge. A diary acts as to conceal someone’s privacy away from others. And just now Yuju thought it would be a good idea to do some research on Mingyu.

Yuju isn’t that bad. She knew how to respect other’s privacies. She did it because she was so angry with Mingyu.

Yuju walked slowly to her house with lots of things occupying her mind, until she saw something moved in the distance in front of her. Yuju looked up and realized it’s the abandoned mansion area. But she did saw someone there. Yuju walked a bit further until she reached in front of the mansion area.

CLICK.

Yuju looked at the main door. Did the door just closed?

“Impossible. There is no one here.” Yuju inspected the mansion’s surrounding. It was too dirty and messy for someone to live there. Unless it’s some druggies or perhaps paranormal entities. Yuju felt cold in the back of her neck. On second look, the abandoned house looked very creepy. Yuju turned around and running back to her house.

 

 

“I’m home.” Mingyu closed the door behind him. “Jungkook?” he called.

“Oh, hey.” Jungkook walked downstairs from the grande stairs. “You’re early today.”

“Yeah, left my di- I mean my book.” Mingyu slouched into the comfort of the couch.

“I don’t know you like to read.” Jungkook chuckled. Mingyu rolled his eyes.

“How you feeling today?” Mingyu asked.

“I’m fine. I think I can cooperate with my current state now.” Jungkook gave him a small smile. Mingyu could see that Jungkook slowly changed from his desperate, darker self to more passive. “I try to not let myself fell into darkness again.”

“Jungkook, I’m sorry.” Mingyu said. “I will find a victim as fast as possible.” Mingyu greeted his teeth. His lifetime’s bestfriend is dying and he did not a damn thing to save him.

“Hey, chill. It’s not your fault.” Jungkook chuckled again. “Maybe the least thing I can do is eat as many as I can. It’s not the same as blood, but food 0.1% did works like blood.” Jungkook went to the kitchen as he said that. Mingyu did not expect his bestfriend’s sudden change and optimism.

Jungkook tried his best to survive, he might as well did the same too.

 

 

Yuju dried her hair and jumped onto her bed. She likes the feeling after bathing, it’s so refreshing. Yuju closed her eyes for a few minutes and suddenly snapped open. She remembered the lone diary she just stole (yeah, she stole it and she had to admit few moments later) from a certain classmate.

Yuju climbed down her bed and walked to her study table. She reached for the diary and proceed to sat down on her bed again. Yuju looked at the diary in her hands. Part of her doesn’t want to even take a look, but another part now triggering her curiosity. Her fingertip brushed against the thick leather cover.

“No, no, no!” Yuju shook her head. She laid against the soft comforter on her bed with the diary in her arms. “Mingyu could be quite irritating and annoying, but I can’t do this. This is just like violating other people’s privacy!” Yuju sighed again. She closed her eyes and just hugging the diary close to her chest. Suddenly she could sense a tiny bump of the cover of the diary, which she never noticed before. Yuju hold the diary above her at eye-level.

“Yuju!” her mom calling for her name causing Yuju to startled and the book fell straight to her face and on the floor. “Yuju! Dinner’s ready!”

“Aww… o-okay mom! Coming!” Yuju rubbed her fingers against her nose. The bump of the diary hit her nose, hard. And she wished that she didn’t get a bloody nose. Yuju observed herself from the reflection of the mirror from the opposite of her bed. Her nose was little red, but luckily no blood. Yuju spun her head and search for the diary. She wondered if the diary was just getting revenge on her for throwing the bread right to its owner’s face, or it’s a sign she can’t read the diary. “Tch.” Yuju gritted her teeth and reached for the diary. It has opened. Yuju’s eyes caught a glimpse of light and she saw something located not far from the diary.

“A ring?” Yuju reached for the small piece. It was a white ring, which Yuju thought it was supposed to be a white gold. “From the diary?” Yuju looked at the diary and saw that there is something looked like a pocket fixed on the inside of the cover, must be what holding the ring. Yuju observed the ring. It was simple ring, with no decoration. She looked inside.

 

                                                                                                                             LO.VE

 

“Love?” Yuju read the word carved inside the curve of the ring. “Did he, perhaps has a love of his life?” Yuju looked again at the diary and she saw something was slipped out from the pages of the diary. “Photo?” Yuju reached for it but hold her hand back. She had unintentionally discovered the ring, and nearly opened the diary. She couldn’t just take a look at another thing.

Yuju shook her hand gently. She put the ring back in the pocket and close the diary.

“I think I have seen enough.”

She will just search for another way to annoyed Mingyu.

 

 

 

p/s: heyya guys, I just realized in two weeks I will start a new sem and complete my english test and driving lesson. IN TWO WEEKS oh my gosh OTL  hoping I can still writing in these two weeks,