CH3: THE BEGINNING

The Ascender

First and second day passed by without any progress from Mingyu. Sure, apparently, he got that “mystery” look that draws girls into him and he could just flirt with one of them and kidnap her, erase all his traces and burn his identity. It’s settled then.

That is supposed to be simple, but Mingyu found it really hard. They try to flirt with him instead but Mingyu were really annoyed by their high-pitched voices and pointless questions he just flew away from the group, and mentally punch himself after that. He started to think maybe, just maybe if Jungkook’s appearance could fit the human society he would just force Jungkook to do it himself (with his pale face and red eyes… it’s a big no).

Mingyu thought he could just keep observing for the right one (read: victim) and he could just deal with her. The less people, the better.

He needs the blood, fast because the possessed Jungkook has starting to annoyed him to no end too.

“Yuju, what did you bring today?” Jihyo asked.

“Hm? Oh, nothing special. Rice and some kimchi.”

“Your mom has great cooking skill though. Whatever she did sure is tasty!” Jihyo complimented. “May I have some?”

“Why are you being polite all sudden, asking for my permission haha,” Yuju put some of the kimchi into Jihyo’s meal container.

“I’m always polite~ and thank you~” Jihyo smiled sheepishly. Yuju knew very much why, and since they had their lunch at Yuju’s desk, besides the new student who just keep staring out of the window, cliché, but that’s exactly what he’s doing, Yuju can read what inside of Jihyo’s mind like a book.

Just as Yuju start to put the rice in , the boy beside them coughed, quite violently. Yuju put the chopstick back into the container. The coughs didn’t stop and it started to draw attentions from the rest of her classmates.

“What happened to him?” Jihyo asked Yuju. She stopped eating as she realized Mingyu’s strange behaviour.

“I don’t know…” Yuju trying to get closer to Mingyu. “Hey, are you alri-“

“What is this strong smell?” Mingyu asked back to no one. “What is that?” He pointed to the container full of kimchi.

“What kind of question is that?” Yuju asked. “You… really don’t know?” The silence confirmed Yuju’s question. “It’s kimchi, you know, Korean common dish?”

“What did you put in there?” Mingyu asked while covering his nose with his sleeve. Yuju found it really rude.

“Excuse me? Why are trying to prove here? My kimchi isn’t smelled bad!” Yuju chewed her lips. “Stupid arrogant cliché boy.” She cursed under her breath. No one dare to condemned her mother’s cookings. No one.

“What?!” Mingyu twitched his eyebrows. “I’m just asking what did you put in there?” the smell is getting stronger and Mingyu think he could have vomit blood right there right now. “What’s wrong with you?”

“What’s wrong with me? It’s what’s wrong with you!”

“Uh…” Jihyo saw the tense between Yuju and Mingyu. “Why are you asking, Mingyu? It’s just some cabbage, tons of pepper, onions, garlic, you know basic spices?” Jihyo asked, trying to break the tension and dark aura surrounding the two.

“Garlic!” Mingyu rushed from the classroom as fast as lightning, leaving both girls speechless.

“What’s wrong with him? Tsk.” Yuju sat down and chew her lunch angrily. “He look like Korean but he doesn’t know what Kimchi is. Strange guy.” Jihyo laughed nervously and pat her friend’s shoulder.

“Eat slowly, you’re going to choke.”

“Uhk!”

 

 

“Damn.” Mingyu sighed. He could have smelled it from day one but he just ignored it since it was faint enough to not disturbing him. He knew Korean dishes used garlic and that is the reason he tried to avoid blending in human society. Jungkook did a good work trying to change the recipe while cooking so he could make garlic-free dishes.

“Am I going to suffer every lunch time?” Mingyu asked to his reflection on the mirror. He then washed his hands and walked out from the toilet.

 

 

The bell rang, meaning lunch time has over. Minggyu slowly walked into the class and took his seat. He looked at Yuju at the corner of his eyes. The girl tried her hard to ignore him and he just going to do the same.

He admitted that his questions over the girl’s lunch is quite rude and it’s totally okay if the girl think he is an .

“Stupid arrogant cliché boy, huh?” Mingyu chuckled under his breath and keep staring at nothing outside the window.

It kept going like that until they school session has ended.

 

 

The janitor came into the boy’s restroom for cleaning.

“Ugh.” She groaned at the awful smell. Of course comparing to the girls’ and teachers’, boy’s is hard to say. But today it was the worst. The janitor open each stall’s door until she reached the one that seems like the source of the awful smell.

“KKYAAAAA!”

There, all she saw was red.

 

 

“Yuju!” Jihyo shouted for her bestfriend.

“Jihyo, what’s the matter?” the long-haired girl asked.

“Well, can you accompany to the store? Grandma wants me to buy her some eggs and medicine.”

“Sure.” They walked to the direction of the nearest town.  Yuju saw that Jihyo kept searching for something, or someone?

“I haven’t see Mingyu. Did he hasn’t going back home yet?”

“He is probably the earliest to left the school.” Yuju replied. “Geez, Jihyo. Listen to me. Do not try to start a relationship with him. Do you saw what he did to me? He commented on my mom’s cooking. Rude.” Yuju huffed of anger. Jihyo laughed at her bestfriend attitude. It’s rare to see her get angry. Yuju is always the bright type, well, not as bright as Jihyo. But Yuju definitely not a moody type either. Yuju is way cheerful, before the accidents happened.

“Alrigh, alright. Let’s go! Since you accompanied me, I will treat you a mochi!”

“Really? Aww that’s why I love you so much!” Yuju hugged the shorter girl. “But anyway, usually, you are okay with going there by yourself?”

“It’s… actually. You know since the bloodless murders news is on the cover, it’s kind of scary to go home by myself.” Jihyo admitted. “We are on the same way, anyway. So let’s protect each other from now.” Jihyo added. Yuju laughed at Jihyo’s adorableness.

“Riiiiight. But what if the attackers is Mingyu?”

“Why Mingyu all of sudden?” Jihyo asked. “No way he would do that.”

“I’m just asking.” Yuju grinned. “Enough of this. Let’s go.”

 

 

Mingyu looked around. Everyone has gone back home. He is all alone in the classroom. Mingyu doesn’t know why, but he likes the silence, the serenity.

He loves it. And he knew someone who are just like him. They were often going to their secret hideout, the hill, at the cliffs. They will just sat there, looking at the scenery laid in front of them. They didn’t talk, just sometime locking eyes and exchange smiles.

Mingyu can’t find the same scenery anywhere where he lives now. He sat beside the window and staring out. He saw some trees, and a hill surrounded by houses, stores, schools, buildings. It’s enough, he thinks. He could still imagine the scenery, the woods, the clouds, the birds, he even remember there is a lake at the center of the woods, and more importantly, that smile. The bright smile painted on her face.

“Eve.”

 

 

“Jihyo, you’re done?” Yuju entered the small store and saw Jihyo at the counter, finished paying the bills.

“Hm? Oh yes. Let’s go.” Jihyo hold the plastic and bowed to the cashier. “Thank you.” She nodded when the cashier replied with ‘please come again.’ “How’s the mochi?”

“Good! It’s really sweet!” Yuju smiled with satisfaction. “But really, you don’t have to buy it though. I’m just kidding.”

“Aww, no problem~ you likes sweet things, right? It’s also a thank you symbol for accompanied me. Told you earlier.” Jihyo smiled and Yuju smiled back. She was really grateful because she got a friend like Jihyo. They have been together since they’re one year old. Although Yuju thought she has been throwing tantrum especially when her father left, Jihyo is still there for her and always understand her. She is the person she treasured the most after her mother.

Jihyo has been living with her grandmother because her parents died in a car accident. And Jihyo knew best her feeling when her dad left her with her mother, with nothing.

They walked for several minutes, chatting and laughing and Jihyo stopped when they had to passed an old mansion.

“Jihyo?” Yuju asked. “What’s wrong?” Jihyo didn’t answer and hold Yuju’s hand and run. “Hey, wait!”

They ran several meters ahead from the old mansion and they both stopped to catch their breath.

“I’m sorry, Yuju. But with the news the old mansion kinda radiating creepy vibes.” Jihyo spoke between breathes. Yuju twitched her eyebrows in confusion and look around for the old mansion.

“Oh, yeah. I didn’t realize. It’s been like, 3 years since I keep walking on the same path I didn’t feel anything.” Yuju shrugged her shoulders. “You are reading too much horror book, Jihyo. That’s why.”

“I don’t know. Maybe it is.” Jihyo pouted. “But once I see it as a haunted mansion I can’t unsee it. What about we walk together to school and walk back together too after this?”

“You don’t mind? Usually I go to school quite early. And I have to stay back for cleaning the class.” Yuju asked. Jihyo quickly shook her head.

“Nope. Nope at all. I should have get rid of that bad habit going late to school.” Jihyo grinned. They walked until they reached Jihyo’s house.

“Hi, Yuju. It’s been a while.” Jihyo’s grandmother, Mrs. Park Chae Mi greeted Yuju in which Yuju considered very friendly.

“Yes, grandma. I’m sorry I haven’t been here for a long time.” Yuju bowed. “You know I had to take care of the house. Mom won’t be back until 7.”

“Ah, yes. Yes. Your mother still a workaholic woman.” The old women smilled. “Come inside, I made some mochi.”

“Mochi~” Yuju unconsciously scream happily. “But, oh, I need to get back now. It’s 6.30.”

“Ah that’s too bad. But wait, Jihyo, please give some to Yuju and her mother too.” Chae Mi asked her granddaughter. “What is Jihyo doing asking you to accompany her home. She is not a kid. You’re getting late.”

“I’m just scared, grandma.” Jihyo huffed and gave Yuju a container full of mochis.

“Aigoo you are 16 now, what is there to scared of. Now Yuju is going home alone.” Chae Mi tapped on Jihyo’s head using her crane.

“Auch!” Jihyo pouted, causing Jihyo to burst of laughter. “Oh, right. Yuju are you okay?” Jihyo asked. “I’m sorry I didn’t think about you. It’s late. Why don’t you come inside? I will tell your mom to come pick you up.”

“It’s alright.” Yuju shook her head. “I am going to be okay. My house isn’t that far away.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really. I will call you if anything happened. Bye, Jihyo, Goodbye, grandma.” Yuju waved her hand and walked to the direction of her house, which finally vanished from the Park’s sight.

 

 

“Yuju, come join me. Here.” Young Ja patted the cushion beside her, gesturing Yuju to sit beside her. Yuju sat beside her mother and lean her head against her shoulder.

“You don’t look happy today. What happened?” Young Ja asked.

“Nothing.” Yuju replied. No way she would tell her mother that some rude classmates condemning her mother’s kimchi. That stupid arrogant Mingyu. Just thinking of it made her blood boiled.

Young Ja could feel the daughter’s angry mood and she chuckles. They sit there in silence watching whatever drama on the television.

“Mom, can I ask you a question?”

“What is it, honey?”

“Don’t get angry.” Yuju pulled out her pinky finger. “Promise?”

“Promise.” Young Ja smiled.

“Why did dad left?” Young Ja stared at the television, letting the question unanswered for a few seconds.

“Why are you asking?”

“Because… you never get angry. I never saw you angry. I was so angry when I found out, but you did not. Why is dad left?” Yuju asked. Young Ja her daughter’s head and again, pausing for moment to answer her question. Young Ja looked at Yuju and saw the girl already fell asleep.

“He didn’t have a bad intention. He left, just to do what’s right.” Young Ja sighed. “I will tell you everything later. I promise.”

 

 

 

p/s: