CH4: The Light

The Ascender

“I will be going now.” Mingyu grab his jacket and headed to the main door.

“Yes, please be careful.” Mingyu could hear Jungkook’s faint voice. Jungkook has been really weak and although he still had that darker side controlling him from time to time, he was too weak to do anything. He spent most of his time sleeping. Mingyu took a final look at Jungkook and vanished from the living room.

The morning was just as usual, except the long-haired girl beside him still trying her hard to ignore him. Is he that rude to her?

Several classes passed and Mingyu didn’t really show some interest in learning. He never been in human society ever since the tragic accidents occurred between the vampire and human. He didn’t believe in them, they didn’t believe in his kind either.

He scoffed. What’s the point anyway? He is going to left the school and get to live his life as a vampire as usual.

“Hey, Mingyu.” Mingyu looked at the source of the voice. It’s one the male students in his class he never know his name. “We have P.E class now. You coming?”

“P.E?” Mingyu asked. “I’ll follow later.”

What is P.E class? Where are they going?

Mingyu was a bit, a realllly bit surprised when Yuju stood up along with Jihyo.

“It’s physical education class. It will take place in the field. Go change your cloth.” Yuju spoke before dragging her poor bestfriend along with her.

Mingyu sighed again. He followed whoever the male students going to. The male’s changing room.

“Yeah it’s time to show those jerks who we are!” Mingyu recognized that voice. It’s Yeonguk’s. That one kid who never shut his mouth and Mingyu often caught Yeonguk staring at him whenever there is a group of girls fangirling about him.

“Are we going to continue our last game with those kids?”

“Hell yeah.”

“Come on, show them girls what we are haha”

Mingyu has absolute zero interest in what they were talking about and he though about skipping class.

“Though all they have in their eyes is our new classmate here,” Yeonguk said in sarcastic voice. “Hey where are you going, Mingyu?” Mingyu sighed. He has been caught trying to leave the changing room.

“I, uh, not feeling well, actually.” Mingyu replied with whatever lame reasons he had in his mind.

“Come on, now. Not feeling fine? Be a man, a little flu is nothing!” Yeonguk laughed.

‘I could have killed you instead  of the girls’ “Uh… I don’t have changing cloth so I don’t think Mr. Kim will be alright with this.”

“You don’t? Hey, Hyun Jung, give him yours.” Yeonguk called for his friend. Hyun Jung smirked and throw his old cloth to Mingyu. “Now you have. Come on.”

Mingyu distanced himself from the rest to make sure there is no one there right where he will change his cloth.

“What are you doing? You want that guy to stole your spotlight, again?” Hyun Jung asked.

“Shut up, geez. He may have that handsome look, but he has nowhere near me in sports.” Yeonguk arrogantly spoke. “I will beat him to pulp.”

“Uh, we are playing sports, not fighting.” Hyun Jung corrected.

“Yeah, whatever.”

 

 

Yuju and Jihyo were changing when they heard Ha Na’s group talking.

“This is going to be the first time we ever saw Mingyu not wearing uniform right?” Ha Na squealed.

“All the jacket and shirts are covering his body, what would he looked like in a single, thin shirt?” all the girls squealed in delight.

“Really? Those girls are unbelievable.” Yuju shook her head.

“But…” Jihyo paused. “I want to say something but I don’t think you would like it.” Jihyo smiled nervously?

“Tch,” Yuju smiled. “Come on, let’s go.”

 

 

If Mingyu looked hot in uniform, he is hotter in a t-shirt, that’s what all the girls are saying. Yuju was sitting on the bench with Jihyo and she is annoyed enough with all the compliments throwing at Mingyu right when he showed up. The girls literally stop whatever they are doing and just looking at Mingyu, which unsurprisingly upsetting Yeonguk even more.

Mingyu looked at the sky, it’s clear but it means bad news to him. He had to go outside and have to run or play sports under the sun. He could have just sprang out from the changing room without even has to respond to Yeonguk. Mingyu cursed under his breath. He can’t risk to hurt himself. When he’s hurt, he’s scared he is gonna be out of control. He can’t let it happen, he can’t risk to expose himself as a frigging vampire.

“What’s up with him?” Jihyo asked and Yuju gave her attention to the said person. Mingyu was just standing there under the roof, not joining the others. Yuju looked at the rest’s direction. Yeonguk and his friends are calling for him, along with Mr. Kim. And others were just confused with the new student.

“Hey, you there, come here!” Mr. Kim yelled.

“Mingyu, come here dude! We are gonna start now!” Yeonguk’s turn to yell, laced with sarcasm.

Mingyu still hasn’t moved from his spot. Yuju twitched her eyebrows. What’s wrong with him?

“Hey pale-faced boy, are you that scared to even get your face burn under the sun?” Hyun Jung siding with Yeonguk and they high-fiving each other. Mingyu just stared at them.

“Stop it, you two. Hey Mingyu. You, come here or I will go there and drag you.” Mr. Kim yelled, hands at waist. Mingyu took a few seconds to respond and he jogged to their direction.

“Alright. Start with some stretching.” Mr. Kim spoke and Yeonguk quickly walked to the front as a lead. The others following his step, and Mingyu had to follow too.

Yuju kept observing the new student. It’s true that sometimes Mingyu didn’t listen to whatever the teachers are saying and he just stared outside the window, and he is being rude to her too. And he dare to show his attitude during P.E class too? Yuju could have produced a string of curse until he saw something that is really strange about him. Mingyu’s face wasn’t emotionless as before. He twitched his eyebrows and his mouth agape, almost looked like he was panting as if he is… hurt?

“Is he never exercise of doing sport before?” Yuju asked.

“Are you looking at Mingyu, Yuju?” Jihyo asked,  surpising Yuju.

“W-what? No! Why would I?” Yuju nervously replied.

“Well, why wouldn’t you?” Jihyo laughed. “I know you will get what we fangirls are seeing!”

“Nooo, Jihyo. I would never!” Yuju looked away so Jihyo could not have seen her red face. “It… It is just strange. Can you see it?” Yuju asked. She looked at the boys. They were now start running around the field before Mr. Kim let them do  playing whatever they wanted.

“What? What is it?” Jihyo asked back.

“He…” Yuju saw that Mingyu was running along but he’s too slow. The gap between him and the rest are obvious. Yeonguk and his gang has completely make fun of him and now the girls were whispering among themselves. Yuju then saw his face. It shocked her when she saw it, his face was red, not the usual tint of red, it looks like his skin were really burning. Mingyu stopped running and walked, until they heard Mr. Kim yelling again and he just fell on the ground.

Yuju gasped and quickly ran to his aid. Jihyo followed along, surprised with the incident. Yuju reached him first and quickly cover his face from the sun. Mr. Kim noticed something unusual and ran to them, along with the rest of the boys.

“Mr. Kim! His face!” Yuju screamed. Mingyu’s face were no more pale and clear, it looks like he was having an extreme case of first degree burn. He gritted his teeth in pain. “We have to help him!” Mr. Kim calmed himself down and quickly calling for a nearby teacher.

“Get out of the way!” Mr. Kim yelled. The others were shocked as they get to see his face. “Help him get on the stretcher!” The boys helped Mingyu and they escorted him to the school infirmary. The whole situation calmed down after a while and the students were talking to each other.

“Yuju, what will happened to him?” Jihyo asked, worried.

“I don’t know…” Yuju replied. “I guess we will just let Mr. Kim and the nurse deal with him.”

 

 

“Oh, you’re here Yuju.”

“I just want know his condition.” Yuju smiled. “May I see him?”

“Sure. Go ahead. I have to go to the field now, can you take care of him for a while?” Mr. Kim asked. Yuju nodded and Mr. Kim walked out from the room.

“Are you Mr. Mingyu’s friend?” a nurse greeted her. Yuju nodded. “You can see him. Poor guy he is too weak. I think he did not get a proper meal and his skin is just too sensitive. But I got him some cream to use.” The nurse who aided Mingyu spoke, showing her concern to him.

“He didn’t?” Yuju asked. “Then, maybe I can buy him some bread.”

“Good idea. I’ll go first.” The nurse bowed and Yuju bowed back before saying ‘thank you’. Yuju walked slowly to his bed and sat down quietly on the nearest chair. She observe his face. The burning has cool down, if just right now his face is extremely red and looks worst, now had cooled down to a tint of red.

“Good cream.” Yuju thought. “Well, at least he is good now.” Yuju stared at his face and she realized she never get a good look of him. His black hair, his thick eyelashes, his nose was straight and his lips… never had Yuju snapped to reality this fast. “What the hell are you doing, Choi Yuju!” Yuju sighed heavily. She could feel heat has rise to her face. She looked at Mingyu once again. Good think he is sleeping, or else she’s going to get caught staring at him while she and Mingyu were unofficially nemesis. Yuju coughed and quickly headed to the front door.

 

 

“Urghh…” Mingyu groaned. He blinked his eyes for several times, adjusting to the light that came pouring from the window beside him. “What…” Mingyu took a deep breath and exhaled slowly before rising to inspect his surrounding. His supported his weight with his elbows. “What is this place…?” Mingyu sighed. He tried to remember what happened before his world faded to black. He was running and he felt unbearable stings on his face. Mingyu gasped and quickly touched his face. He could still felt the stings on the path where he ran his long index finger.

“Oh, you’re awake?” Mingyu turned his face as if he could snap his neck to the voice. “Sorry for suprising you.” The nurse smiled awkwardly. “You’re having a terrible burn on your face but it has healed as I could see.” She explained. “However, I’m afraid you have to stay here. Your face is pale and you look bone-thin. You do look tired too. With your condition, I don’t think you can continue with the classes. Here.” The nurse in her late 20’s gave Mingyu a small tube. “It’s the cream I used for your skin. Suprisingly it showed some effects in a short time. I should get one of these too.” She joked, trying to lift the mood.

“Thank you.” Mingyu gave her small smile and the nurse could feel heat rose to her face.

“Oh, it’s nothing. It’s my job to treat patients.” She chuckled. “I should go back to my work. Call me if anything happened.” The nurse walked away quickly.

Mingyu looked at the small tube in his hands. Surely, he knows a lot about himself and how a vampire’s body works. Vampire healed in short time without any help of some sort of medicines. He healed himself, not from the help of the cream. However, the healing rate is depending on the vampire itself. Weak vampires took a longer time to heal than usual. Mingyu remembered how the nurse commented on his appearance. He does feel like he’s getting weaker. He just threw up the last blood he ever feasted on, but he has a strong body, which he believed he could stay stronger for another few days.

‘Great, even I need some blood now.’ He sighed.

 

 

The class began as usual, except the part that the whole class seemed to talk about the same topic.

“Have you seen his face?”

“Is it that terrible?”

“Oh, poor Mingyu.”

“Well, I never expect it would turned out like that.” Yeonguk stated. “I didn’t know he has some sort of disease.”

“Really, Yeonguk? It’s so obvious you’re bullying him.” Ha Na replied. “Poor Mingyu! If anything happened to him, I am going to hunt you down!” she screamed. Her statement was immediately supported by her gang.

“What are you? His mother?” Yeonguk groaned, annoyed by the school’s diva.

Yuju silently listened to their conversations. Part of her is worried about the new student, another part is mentally punching herself for being worry to the guy she (currently) hate the most. It’s not even her business.

“I think I want to visit him later. Do you want follow me?” Jihyo asked.

“I… I have something to do.” Yuju knew it’s not true. She just doesn’t want to face Mingyu yet, not when she internally admitted she is worried about the same guy who just made her blood boiled and the incident in the infirmary room. ‘When did I became such a ert…’

“Alright, then. I’ll just go with the others later.” Jihyo replied, oblivious with her friend’s reason to not join her.

 

 

Mingyu rest his upper body to the bed headboard and exhaled a long breath. His classmates paid him a visit during break time. He could see everyone, scratch that, every girl in his class, surrounding him, except for one. They keep talking about the best medicine to cure his burn, both modern and traditional ways. The one girl, he remembered her name, Ha Na was the person who talked the most. After several minutes, they left for lunch and classes.

“I see you’re very famous.” The nurse chuckled. “Though, I can see why.” She whispered. Mingyu smiled, not sure what to reply, so he just kept quiet.

Mingyu looked outside the window. It’s the hour where the sun peaked, and he didn’t plan to take a leave early. The infirmary room equipped with air-conditioner and it helped him cool down his burn, though he was pretty sure the redness has completely faded. The nurse seemed too oblivious with his change  and he didn’t want to question it. Maybe his pale face and thin frame made her feel he is still unwell.

“Uh, hello.” Mingyu’s ears perked up with the voice. “I am Mingyu’s classmate. Is he still here?” the voice asked and the nurse confirmed it. “Thank you.” Mingyu startled when he saw Yuju from behind the curtain that separating his bead and the waiting area. “Hello.” Yuju greeted in low voice.

“You.” Mingyu raised his eyebrow.  “What are you doing here?” He asked. Yuju bit her lower lip and eyes everywhere except to Mingyu’s direction. Mingyu was confused with the girl who just standing in front of him, until he noticed Yuju might be hiding something in her back. “What are you hiding?” he spontaneously asked, curiosity built up.

“Uh…” Yuju didn’t know how to respond with it. She didn’t even know what leading her here, when she just rejected Jihyo’s offer.

“Ah… let me guess.” Mingyu crossed his arms. “Are you trying to pull some joke here? That must be the kim-whatever you brought yesterday?”

“W-what?!” Yuju twitched her eyebrows, unbelievable.

“Is that it, right? Geez, I know you’re angry towards me, so you think it must be a good idea to torture me while I am totally vulnerable.” He smirked.

“Who do you think I am?!” Yuju raised her tone. Her voice shaking. “Am I that evil?” Yuju asked. Mingyu was taken back. Honestly, he didn’t even know why he would just let those words came out from his mouth. He thought he would just annoyed her (which also he didn’t know the reason why), make her angry, whatever. “I am so done with you!” Yuju screamed and threw something to him.

PAK!

His face was hit squarely by a bread, the thing Yuju had been hiding behind her. The situation was in silence, a deadly silence. None of them move.

“What happened?” A nurse came and saw Yuju and Mingyu froze in their spot for a few seconds. She quickly turned away and walked to her desk, knowing something is definitely going on and she had no right to interfere.

“I hate you.” Yuju spoke, breaking the silence. Mingyu stared at her, eyes widen. “From this now on…” Yuju huffed an angry breath. “You and I are officially enemy!” she said before storming off from the room, leaving Mingyu dumbfounded. He looked at the bread that just fell from his face to his side.

“Oh, she really did brought some bread.” The nurse interrupted. “Your friend came earlier, when you’re still unconscious. I told her you might not eating well, you might be malnutritious. She told me she will bring some bread later.”

Mingyu was definitely surprised by what the nurse had told him. He took the bread and sighed.

 

 

 

note: hey, guys. I'm sorry if the chapters are getting boring but I promise there is going to get intense soon. See you guys later~