CH1: INTRODUCTION

The Ascender

A figure could be seen sitting on a branch. His red eyes following the woman who quickly walking, as if she could sense something sinister would happen. He growled as hunger took over him. He jumped onto the ground, carefully made his steps towards the woman. The said woman, unfortunately, could hear the sound of a pair of shoes behind her and she instinctively run as fast she could. The man follows her steps and quickly grabs the poor woman’s hand and pull her towards him. The woman gasped as she could feel her neck stung by something that is sharp like needle. She squirmed under the man’s arm but she felt her energy drained by seconds, same goes for her blood.

 

 

“Have you heard the news?” Mingyu spoke, startling Jungkook who just came out from the kitchen.

“Wow, hold on. What news? I didn’t hear anything.” Jungkook chuckled and took a sit in front of Minggyu with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. Mingyu gave him a stare. “Geez, really… What are you staring at me like that?” Jungkook put the cup on the table and reached for the nearest magazine.

“Two people were found dead in a month.” Mingyu spoke again.

“Yeah, and?” Jungkook fixed his eyes on the magazines. “Why are you so concern about dead people.”

“…Bloodless.” Mingyu put the newspaper on the table. Jungkook averted his eyes from the magazine and now towards the paper. “I just wondering… if it’s related to what we knew.” Mingyu coughed. “Or who I knew.”

“You are not accusing me…” Jungkook gritted his teeth. “What the hell, Mingyu?”

“You have been on taking a night stroll lately, and tell me if this is just a coincidence.” Mingyu sighed. “Look into my eyes and tell me.” Jungkook put the magazine in front of his face, blocking Mingyu’s view.

“I have my own reasons.” Jungkook simply said. A silence lasts for a while until it was break by Mingyu’s loud sigh.

“I told you we are not allowed to hunt humans anymore. This isn’t like a frigging hundreds years ago.” Mingyu spoke, louder.

“I’m hungry.”

“Me too. But we have supplies. Why can’t you just wait?” Mingyu asked. He waited for response from the vampire in front of him and Jungkook finally gave up. He put the magazine down on the table and crossed his arm.

“Our suppliers are all gone. You know why? Because damn humans can’t stop meddling in other people’s business.” Jungkook smiled. “Don’t tell me to keep waiting. Nothing will change if we keep waiting. I’m hungry, you’re hungry. We are vampire, we lived on blood. That is natural for me to blood.” Jungkook paused for a moment. “And hell, I am sorry I was born weaker than you, that I couldn’t bear not getting any for more than two weeks.” Jungkook explained. “Satisfied?”

“Jungkook…” Mingyu’s lips part, and he sighed. He looked at his childhood friend. He realized that Jungkook’s face is paler, in sickly way. His eyes became more darker and the glowing red eyes fading to a pale red ones. “I’m sorry. I just had to keep our surrounding safer for us, that we have nowhere to go now. I’ll find suppliers, I promise.”

“There’s none left. Hell, I think we are the sole survivors of our descendant.” Jungkook chuckled, as if the matter sounds funny to his ears. “The coffee hasn’t done its job properly. I still feel tired.” Jungkook went to the kitchen, leaving Mingyu alone in the living room.

Mingyu looked down to the newspaper and then to kitchen, catching silhouette of his bestfriend. He didn’t mean it to happen. He focus more to their surrounding he forgot about Jungkook’s health state.

Jungkook was born a weak vampire and often gets sick as a child. A vampire can lasts about 2 to 3 weeks without blood but Jungkook could not.

As time flies, humans developing and civilization kept progressing into what the world became now, it’s getting harder for vampires to survive. The biggest challenge they had to face are when humans were getting more aware of vampire existence and annihilated those what they called “a heartless blood ers”. For a long time they have hidden from humans and left no traces behind. They don’t dare to resurfaced, until they reached a point where the world believes that vampires are nothing  more than once a living myth.

Mingyu and Jungkook were teenagers during those days, they have been through so much difficulties, including the death of their families and friends. Soon, the world they once knew were all vanished. Luckily for Mingyu, his grandfather left him a property, an old mansion which they could seek for protection from outside dangers.

“The suppliers” is the part of them, vampires but also could be humans who selling blood to the remaining vampires. Because it was illegal to sell blood, most of the suppliers were either arrested or they just won’t do it anymore. Vampires have two options, find another suppliers or hunting down humans. But the latter has not been practiced for a long time, they just get the blood from suppliers. If they want straight from human, it has to be somebody who already died.

Now that it’s hard to find blood. The suppliers they know were all arrested, or killed and they both need to think how to survive, and it’s getting more critical by days.

“I’ve made chicken soup. Please eat. I’m going upstairs.” Jungkook came out from the kitchen and flash him a gummy smile before going upstairs to his bedroom.

“Alright.” Mingyu observed his friend. He get tired easily these days. Although they eat food too, it’s not the same as drinking blood. Blood is the core, and food just helping to extend their hungriness for a small amount of time. Just how much caffeine Jungkook drink, they still won’t restore his energy.

Mingyu closed his eyes and think for a moment. He wished he could be a help.

 

 

Yuju opened her eyes when she heard her front door opened. She climbed down the stairs and went straight to her mother.

“I’m back.” Her mother, Young Ja hugged her one and only child.

“You came back pretty late. What’s the matter?” Yuju helped her mother bring the groceries to the kitchen.

“Oh, nothing. It’s just the store was little messed up and I need to take care of it.” Choi Young Ja works in a store as a cleaner and helper so that she could get some income for the sake of her little family. Luckily for her, the owner is kind and understand her situation. The owner always give her some vegetable and meat.

“Mom…” Yuju sat besides her mom on the dining table and rested her head on her mother’s shoulder. “I promise I will study harder and get a good job. I will work harder than everyone and then we will live a good life, okay? You don’t have to work anymore.”

Her mother smiled and laid her head against Yuju’s. “Thank you sweetie. But I don’t need a good life, I just want you to be here by my side. Don’t leave me, alright?” Her mother spoke, full of hope. Yuju didn’t respond for a while. Her eyes looking straight to her mother’s wrinkled hand.

“I will always be by your side.” Yuju grabbed her mother’s hand and squeezed it lightly. “I won’t leave you. I promise.”

 

 

It’s midnight and Mingyu opened his eyes. He felt something is wrong. There are something unusual in the air that is impossible to just shrug it off despite being sleepy.

“Jungkook!” Mingyu quickly went out from his bedroom and go to Jungkook’s. He paused a moment in front of Jungkook’s bedroom door and he pushed the door after knocking several times. His red eyes caught Jungkook was standing in front of a large window. His friend staring blankly. “Jungkook, what are you doing?” Mingyu asked, uneasy with Jungkook’s behaviour.

Jungkook spun his head to look at Mingyu and Mingyu was taken aback when he saw his eyeballs was completely covered in pitch black. Mingyu remained composed, he won’t let himself being intimidated. He knew exactly why this happened. Jungkook must have been out of control at some point. Maybe he was scared, he is completely aware of his health. And he was scared it will get worsen, and ultimately lead to death. Jungkook saw a lot of it, when their places was burned down by humans, many  vampires were scared and lose it. The darker side has taken control of their mind, and it lead them to doing something they could not control. They fought humans and brutally killed them, which only fuelled the chaos that happened. It was truly a nightmarish sight for a young Mingyu.

He has been there when the most precious person in his life died, but he will feel miserable afterward. He has practiced to never let his darker side control him, ever again.

“Jungkook, please calm down.” Mingyu trying to get closer to him.

“I’m scared, Mingyu. Is it, really going to be the end of me?” Jungkook asked. “I didn’t mean to kill them, those women. But, what they are doing until late night anyway? Hahaha” Jungkook chuckled. “They just literally offer themselves to get harmed.”

“Jungkook, it’s not a right moves…”

“It is not, of course. But I have my own reasons! The suppliers were gone, we don’t have anymore source of blood. Yeah I get it, we have been civilized, we don’t drink blood from humans anymore. We don’t, but those weaklings still think it’s our fault! Ha, they want it to be that way, I just show them. They killed us, I will just do the same. A win-win situation, don’t you think?” Jungkook smiled sinisterly but then he took a step back and hold his head, gripping his hairs. “I don’t want it to end this way… but…”

“Jungkook, stop it!” Mingyu yelled.

“I’m sorry it’s my fault. Now them humans won’t leave us alone. I just want a sip of blood. Nothing more.” Jungkook panting. Jungkook saw the sub-headlines for the news; ‘Two women were killed in cold-blood. With no trace of blood left, vampires are not just a myth anymore?’

Suddenly, Jungkook fell on his knees and Mingyu quickly ran to his side. Mingyu watched as his friend panting heavily, murmuring ‘blood’ several times. His body became colder Mingyu can almost feel it, as if like he has just came out from an ice room. Mingyu bit his lips. If it continues to be like this, Jungkook will… die.

“Please hang on. Don’t force yourself, you need to rest.” Mingyu said. Jungkook looked over him and to his relief, his eyes are back to normal, red ones. But it’s empty, with lack of life behind it.

“I’m sorry, Mingyu.” Jungkook smiled. “I… I don’t mind if…”

“Just hold on. I will… I will do anything to get you some blood. I promised.” Mingyu spoke. And just as he said that, Jungkook’s pupils were black again. Mingyu gasped. “You…”

“Why, thank you so much, my dear friend.” The same sinister smile crept on his pale face. Mingyu took a step back from the possessed Jungkook. “You have a very big heart.” Jungkook put his hands on his chest, acting like he meant it. “Now that you promised me, it would be reaaaally bad to break it, is it not?” Jungkook smiled innocently.

Mingyu gave the vampire in front of him a sharp stare. Jungkook has nearly lost it. And the only way to save him is to get him some blood. Only that way he will come back to normal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

**************************

P/S: I'm sorry if any of the characters are a bit OOC, except Jungkook though, he was possessed XD