CHAPTER 2: THE FIRST MEETING

The Ascender

“Mom, I’m going to school now!” Yuju enthusiastically walking out from the house front door and breathes in fresh and cool air. ‘Something good is definitely going to happen today. I could feel it.’ Yuju silently thought.

“Yuju!” Yuju spun her head only to see her mom walking too quickly as if she is running.

“Mom, what happened?” Yuju asked.

“Your lunch. This kid. Always forgetful about lunch.” Young Ja huffed. Yuju smiled awkwardly.

“Sorry, mom. Pretty girls are always forgetful.” Yuju laughed. Mrs. Yujin whose wore tight face early slowly smiled a little. Her face soften with Yuju’s bright smile.

“Yes, yes. Pretty girl, isn’t? Don’t forget it next time or you will get hungry. Geez, I still have to take care of you. What will happened if I worked in morning shift?” Young Ja shook her head. Yuju chuckled.

“I won’t. I promise.” Yuju took the lunch from her mother. “I will be going now. Bye, mom.” Yuju kissed her mother’s both cheeks and heading off to school. Young Ja smiled softly at her daughter.

‘Yuju has become a very pretty girl indeed.’ Young Ja sighed. ‘I wish you can see her, dear.’

 

 

“School?” Mingyu asked furiously. “Why so sudden...”

“You see, Mingyu...” Jungkook smiled nervously “I know... That you must think I am a bit selfish but... The school. Humans went there to study. So...”

“You want me to go to that place and abduct one for you?” Mingyu shot Jungkook a glare. Jungkook nodded slowly, eyes never took off from Mingyu.

“Yes, I did some observations though, why a high school? Because high school girls are dumb, they literally will follow handsome guy anywhere.” Jungkook casually spoke, as if the abducting, or ideas to kill a human is nothing to him. Since last night accident, Mingyu knew Jungkook’s attitude will change completely. Jungkook is not like that. He isn’t selfish. Now that he knew about his condition, how he knew he is dying, he could not think properly. He is in panic.

“Oh and... Here is all the documents you will need and your uniform.” Jungkook handed out a big envelope and all the clothes Mingyu will need. Mingyu grabbed the envelope and open it to reveals several papers with text on it. He read all of them.

“New identity, huh?” Mingyu looked at the papers in his hands.

“Kinda. But your name is still the same. I only changed your identity certificate like where you are from and others.” Mingyu nodded. “Hmm~ this idea way is so much better. We can get those humans easily if we just blended in with them, right Mingyu? We gain their trust without revealing our identity, and then just their blood, no one will suspect us.” Jungkook spoke cheerfully.

“But, unfortunately we can’t. Something that is part of their daily basis could just kill us.” Mingyu corrected. Part of him was disturbed by Jungkook’s statement.

“Yeah, you’re right. Anyway, get ready. I did some research. School will start in 30 minutes from now. You will enter the gate and go straight to the principal’s room. Hand these to him and you will get a timetable. The timetable will shows you where your class located. Simple, it is not?” Jungkook helped his friend with his uniforms and brushed away the dust on the blazer. “I found the uniform in a store and bought it for you.”

“The store?” Mingyu looked at Jungkook. “You’ve planned it for a long time, isn’t?”

“Ahh I’ve been caught. But you will still do it right?” Jungkook’s red eyes stared at Mingyu’s brown irises. The cheerful smile he wore earlier faded to a smile that Mingyu could not just go unnoticed. Mingyu winced at how forceful and desperate that guy could be. The one standing before him is no longer his sweet and carefree friend, but instead a guy with lifeless soul who is afraid of what the fate might had in store for him. “Good luck then.” Jungkook smiled, a sickly one. Mingyu does not respond and walked out of the penthouse while gritting his teeth.

 

 

“Yuju!” Yuju spun around to see her best friend running towards her.

“Jihyo!” Jihyo panting heavily while Yuju pat her back.

“What happened?” Yuju asked.

“Oh nothing though. It’s just *hah* that I felt bad aura when *hah* I got passed the old house and ran all way here.” Jihyo said between breath.

“And why is that?”

“You don’t hear the news? There are vampires in our hometown!”

“That’s silly. Come on, let’s go.”

Yuju and Jihyo step inside their class and go to their respective desk. Jihyo pulled her chair and sat beside Yuju. She sat at her right while Yuju’s left is empty.

“Have you heard, about the new student?” Yuju and Jihyo turned around to their classmates’ direction. The group of five girls always come up with daily gossip and Yuju and Jihyo usually listened for a while and then do their own works if the news did not catch their attention enough. ‘Gossip Babe’ is what they called themselves.

“Is he cute?”

“Must be cute!”

“I hope he is in our class.”

“A new student?” Yuju looked at Jihyo. The girl already has that sparks in her eyes. “Yah, get a hold of yourself, Jihyo.” Yuju pat her friend’s shoulder lightly.

“Sorry, Yuju.” Jihyo grinned. “But don’t you get excited too? You know what they said, get the guy, and they will treat you like a queen.”

“Do you think I like attention? Don’t get too excited. We don’t even know what he looked like, or what he is.”

“Of course he is a human, not a vampire of something like that.” Jihyo pouted.

“I mean if he is bad or nice. Get the guy you and be the queen you said? When he left you, you get nothing but a broken heart.”

“Yuju...” Jihyo shut tight. She knew why Yuju said that. The long-haired latter had quite a rough time when she was a little girl, all because of her parents.

“Sorry, Jihyo.” Yuju smiled.

“It’s okay. I understand.” Jihyo grin.

The sound of the door suddenly open suprised the students inside of 3-C room. They quickly took their seat when the homeroom teacher walked in. He slammed his cane on the teacher’s desk, sending shivers to the student. “I could hear you guys from the parking lot. Heh, what makes you guys so happy today, I wonder.”

“The new student, I bet.” One of the boys spoke. “The girls are going crazy. Geez. Especially those gossip-whatever.”

“Yah, Min Yeonguk! You are the one who suddenly shouting about sport-whatever.” Lee Ha Na smiled evilly.

“It’s basketball, you little...” Yeonguk shots the girl who is the so-called leader of Gossip Girl. Ha Na stuck her tongue out.

“Yah, yah, yah. Aish these kids. I’m so dumb by accepting the offer to be your homeroom teacher.” Mr. Kim shook his head.

“Oh.” one of the girls spotted someone outside the room. “Teacher, is that the new student?” All the eyes in the room turn to the door.

“Ah, yes. Come in.” The new student walked in and nearly all the student have their mouth agape.

“Oh my he is soooo cute~” Ha Na squealed. “Look at the boys here, nothing like him.” Yeonguk’s ears perk up and he cursed under his breath. The student standing in the front of the class and watched at how the others react to him. The girls squealing in admire while most of the boys are annoyed with the reactions.

“Shut up, everyone!” Mr. Kim shouted. He then gestured the boy to introuduce himself. He nods. He picks up the chalks and start writing. He finishes and turn towards the others.

“Hello, everyone. My name is Kim Mingyu and I am going to be your classmate. Please... take care of me.” Right after he ended his speech, the noise could be hear again.

“Yah, want me to tape your mouth?” Mr. Kim sighed. “So Mingyu. Yeah. You are going have a seat besides Yuju back there.” Ha Na’s mouth gaped. It’s because she already told her friend to go to the empty seat besides Yuju so Mingyu could sit beside her. The whole situation was witnessed by Yeonguk and he laughed at the girl. Ha Na pouted. Mingyu nodded without a word and walked to his desk. The girls awe at him.

Yuju could see the new student took the seat on her left at the corner of her brown eyes. Yuju turned her head slightly. She knew why the girls suddenly went crazy for him. Mingyu does look good (but Yuju would never say it out loud). Yuju gasped at her thought and shook her head. The moment when she looked at Mingyu again, she realized that Mingyu also look at her. Their eyes locked and Yuju gulped.

“Um... Hey. My nama is Yuju. If you have anything to ask, feel free to-” Her words cut off when Mingyu look at the front without even responding to her. Yuju could feel her blood boiled. ‘I try to be friendly and this is how you treat me?!’ Yuju bit her lips.

“Let the class begin then. Hand me your homeworks.” The class respond with silence. Mr. Kim sighed heavily.

 

 

“I’m back.” Mingyu walked into the house and he saw that Jungkook already on the couch, clearly waiting for him, or rather...

“Welcome home.” Jungkook smiled cheerfully. “So how the first day went? Have you found someone?” Jungkook asked the latter eagerly. Mingyu slumped down the couch at the opposite direction of Jungkook’s.

“Not yet.” Mingyu calmly replied. “It’s just a first day. Don’t expect too much.”

“You don’t even try.”

“I did. Give me times to observe the humans. It’s not easy to just kidnap someone and kill him or her.” Mingyu snapped back. “Especially when things gone wrong these days, bloodless corpse, they will know there are vampires among them, and you don’t need to die from hunger, you will die from stabbing at your chest.” Mingyu stared at Jungkook and the latter did the same.

“You’re talking about me…” Jungkook smiled half-heartedly, almost sadly. “I’m sorry, the whole thing is my fault..”

“Jungkook, listen. I-“

“No, it’s fine. I’m so hungry that I hunted down the women, and carelessly left their body without taking care of it.” Jungkook stood up from the couch. “I’m sorry, buddy.”

“Look, Jungkook. I did not mean that. We all make mistakes.” Mingyu sighed. “Give me some times. I will bring back one for you.”

“Mingyu...” Jungkook’s eyes widen. “Sorry, Mingyu.” he smiled. “I’m the one who is scared right now. I pushed you way too hard, eh? I don’t know what happened to me. The words just came out.” Jungkook walked to the stairs that connect the ground and the first floor. “I want to rest a bit.” Jungkook watched the boy headed upstairs until he’s gone from his sight with mixed feelings.

Mingyu sighed and laid on the couch. He had been thinking, how to survive, how to save his friend, to save both of their lives. And he started to get hungry too.

‘I need to drink something.’

‘Maybe the coffee.’

‘Blood.’

Mingyu’s eyes snapped open. He sighed.

‘Just a human, and then all of these will be over.’

 

 

“Did you get home safely?” Yuju heard a ‘yes’ on the other line.

“But to think it again, it’s kind of exciting.” Jihyo spoke.

“What is so exciting?”

“You know, I was kind of imagine the vampire to be like in those novels. Pale face, dark hair, everything about him screams “perfection”.

“Really Jihyo? Our life is not a novel. And I don’t think it’s because of a vampire.”

“The police said there is not even a drop of blood left in her body. What could it be?”

“I don’t know, a syndicate that took blood to be sold at the black market. Come on, murderers are walking here and there and they blamed the vampires. Poor creatures, they don’t even exist.” Yuju shook her head.

“Geez, you are so boring.” Yuju laughed at Jihyo’s comment. They talked for awhile before Jihyo ended their conversation. It’s only 9 but Jihyo’s grandmother will ask her to go to sleep and being a good grandchild she obeyed.

Yuju laid on her bed and sighed lightly. She does not believe in vampires or myth creatures. It does not make any sense. Yuju closes her eyes and she imagined what could a vampire looked like.

“Pale face and dark hair?” she saw the image of the new student in her class. Yuju doesn’t know why, but somehow Yuju thinks he looked a lot like one. Pale face, dark hair, and red eyes, except that he has face like a Korean would.

“Red eyes?” Yuju opened her eyes and furrows. No, it's not like Mingyu has red eyes. They were brown, with a tint of red. "Or did I just imagined things?” Jihyo snapped. “And why would I think about him?!” she sighed loudly. That arrogant boy. “Urgh, I’ll just sleep.”

 

 

 

 

p/s: heyya guys, I'm sorry if it took too long, but I decided I will post 1 or 2 chapters in a week, on Monday/Friday. Please bear with me :( leave a comment it makes my day alot like realllly a lot. thanks and see you guys soon~