TEEN AGE 17 - MOTHER

SR. 002 - TEEN AGE

It was almost an hour ago since we arrived at Seulgi's villa but my feet don't have plans to stop traveling around this gorgeous place I'm in. Even if I'm having a hard time in walking, it was never an issue the moment I laid my eyes on this drop dead unit. 


Krystal, on the other side of the house, washing the dishes we used earlier when we ate our dinner. Hunger is not an exemption in times death is chasing you. You'd probably starve too. 


"Wow," was the word I can manage to say while gently running my fingers to the huge painting in front of me. This is my favorite art among the rest that are freely hanging around the house, a painting of a woman holding her hair graciously. She looks familiar to me.


I heard Krystal chuckled. "Mesmerized?" She asked, wiping the wet plates with dry white towel. 


"Definitely!" I said. "D-did she..." I can't finish my sentence, I can't even speak properly now that I'm surrounded with these huge beautiful paintings. 


"Did she, what?" Krystal grinned while taking her walk towards the living room, where I was standing. "Bought these?" Pointing her finger to the paintings that were hanging on the walls.


I don't know exactly what to say. I doubt Seulgi bought all of these because she might have a hidden talent within her that I don't know. After all, we don't know very much about each other. So, I remained silent. 


Krystal comfortably throw herself to the master couch, telling me she's been here many times. "She drew all of it." Krystal said silently, proudly. 


My eyes widened by the information, mouth ajar. I tour my eyes around the house again to look at these beautiful paintings, knowing Seulgi made them. "Really?" 


"Believe or not." She said. "Painting is her silent sanctuary in life. You never know how much she've been through. It's her escape from reality."


Hani's face suddenly flashed to my mind.


"That one,"  


I turned to face Krystal and see her pointing a particular painting, to my favorite painting, which was hanged in front of sofa she was sitting.


"Tell me your thoughts about it." Krystal suggested. Maybe for us to kill the time. It's already two in the morning but both our eyes aren't sleepy.


I slowly taking steps towards the couch because my leg still hurt like crazy. 


"Careful," She reminded, almost a whisper.


I finally seated beside Krystal on the couch. I look again to the huge beautiful painting before us. "That is my favorite painting from the rest." I said. "Though it is not colored, it's just brown, but that woman captured my heart the moment I looked at her." The woman I meant is the woman on the painting. She holds her hair graciously while slightly facing to the front. "Her eyes hold so much emotion like she is sending a message through it." 


Krystal was silent for a while and drink her coffee on the table. I didn't even know that she brought coffee when she came here. "That was my favorite painting among the rest too." She said. "I'm not going to deny that everything in this house is glamorous and magnificent, the owner herself too, but I remembered the first time I came here, I was starstruck by that painting." She continued. "And that painting itself, hold so much story." 


I look at her. "What do you mean?" I asked. 


"I don't know if I have the rights to tell you this. I mean, you don't even know the whole story but because we get started to this topic, why not proceed, right?" She chuckled silently. 


"So, what about that painting?" I said while getting my cup of coffee to drink it. 


"It's her mother."


I almost unhold the handle of the cup after hearing Krystal's words. "H-her mother?" I said, slowly turning to face the painting and stare at it for a while. She has a beautiful mother.


Hani's voice suddenly flashed in my mind, especially her voice telling me that her mother died and Seulgi blamed herself because of it.


"Isn't she beautiful?" Krystal asked while staring at the painting. I didn't answer because I wanted to listen more to what Krystal is about to reveal. Seulgi herself was a surprised to me. I didn't know there's more yet to come after putting her a place to my heart. "It took her a month to finish that painting. Yes, its huge. But she drew it so detailed. If you look closely to it, the wrinkles, the skin hairs, you'll see what I mean. But that isn't just what surprised me. What shocked me the most, was knowing that she used her own blood to paint it... with a little mixture of black coffee. The painting was red and brown when I first saw it. I didn't know color fades." 


My eyes widened, my jaw as well, after hearing Krystal's story. 


She gently nodded her head and drink her coffee, like she already know what's on my mind. "Shocking, right?" Krystal said. "That was my reaction too after I heard about it." 


"Why black coffee?" I'm aware that there's so much questions to ask about the news but I felt there is something with black coffee. It might be a message.


Krystal give a small laugh. "It's not really a big deal but it's her mother's favorite drink." She said. 


"Wow," was all I could say.


"But the funny part of the story was she almost died." She said. "She lost a lot of blood after she painted that." 


"H-how did she... you know the blood?" I said while gesturing. I can't speak properly because I'm still shaking thinking about her cutting herself.


Krystal look at me with worry on her eyes, like asking me if it's okay to tell me the truth. It might be too gross for me. "You really wanted to know?" She said. 


"Yeah?" 


"She cut her fingers and palm." She drink her coffee while looking at the painting. "Wait a minute." She spoke, gently shaking her head. "Do you know what happened to her mom?" 


I paused. "W-what do you mean?" 


"You looked surprise knowing that it's her mother without me telling you what truly happened to her mom." 


"You mean... her mother is dead?" 


"Yeah," 


"I kinda had an idea when you said 'I don't have the rights to tell you this because you don't know the whole story' earlier." I tried my best to act it out. Yes, I had an idea what happened to her mother, not because Seulgi told me, or her telling me, but because Seulgi's older sister shared it to me. 


"Seulgi was right. You're quick." 


"Maybe. Kind of," I just shrugged while drinking my coffee and slowly raising my head to look at the painting again. And left me mesmerized more by the thought Seulgi made all of these. "Seulgi is... she's---" I cannot find the proper word to describe Seulgi now but Krystal cut me off to spoke on my behalf.


"Ravishing." She said with nothing but honestly. It feels like she choose the perfect word to describe the sleeping girl inside her room. "You thought she's a snob but she take all of the things around her seriously, you most especially." 


I choked from my coffee when hearing the latter. 


"Don't deny it." She continued. "I very well know that you started your relationship because Seulgi asked it as a favor from you, but I know you started to fall with each other now." 


I couldn't answer. I couldn't even speak when whatever Krystal have said was nothing but the truth. Well, I only know my case, my feelings. Up until this moment, I felt like this whole story was a one sided love. 


I hung my head low. Thinking about Seulgi might not love me the way I am in love her.


"Cheer up," Krystal said silently but cheerfully. "She loves you too." 


I raised my head and looked at her again after hearing her comment. 


Krystal chuckled while raising both of her hands, surrendering. "That's it. I will never let my mouth speak up again when Seulgi have the very right to say those words than me." 


A curve shape cracked on the side of my lips. It was the most comforting words I've heard since this morning. 


Krystal suddenly stood and left the living room, carrying our empty mugs, leaving me with nothing but silence. 


I slowly leaned my back to the head of the sofa, making a comfortable lying position so I could rest. 


"You should sleep, Irene." Krystal said from a far.


l nodded my head without even knowing if Krystal can see my reaction. But silence came after, I had an idea, one or two, that Krystal might seen me nodding my head or just let the silence eat the whole place to give me peace. 


"Just a little reminder," 


I almost jumped when Krystal suddenly popped up in front of me when I was about to close my eyes. I raised my eyebrows for inquiry. 


"Don't be shock if music will wake you up for I don't know when." 


"What do you mean?" 


"Seulgi always play music after she wakes up. She always do that first thing in the morning. It's like a tradition to her. The songs might sound familiar to you." She said. "It's her mother's music. It always help her to start her day happier. It calms her." 


Even my mouth left ajar, I nodded my head. Krystal tapped my back and walked away again. 


"I'll be gone for a while, Irene." She said, her voice slowly fading. "But I'll be back. Just rest here, okay?" 


"Thanks, Krys." 


"Hmm..." She might be at the entrance of the house now because I could barely hear her. "Good night." 


"Good night." 


And the silent night continues when I heard the door closed. 


I sighed. 


I placed my arm on my forehead and planned to get sleep when my insomnia is visiting me. Why now? I asked myself. 


I hardly closed my eyes thinking it might help me go to sleep but I was wrong. Plenty of thoughts keep running to my head and it never help me to get some rest. 


I decided to stand up and better travel myself more in this glamorous place. It give me peace by the way.


I slowly took a step forward when my leg suddenly snapped and a disturbing pain followed. I can't help but to voice out my pain. It hurts so much that it made me fall onto my knees on the floor. 


I immediately covered my mouth using my hands when I realized it might wake Seulgi up. I decided to laid on the floor to preserve my energy.


I breathe heavily. This might be the my worst day since I was born. Unknown enemies almost grant us our death wish, this pain I gain after Seulgi's adrenaline didn't match mine and it snapped, plus the mystery as to when Seulgi will wake up after she passed out. 


Krystal told me that it is very typical for Seulgi to passed out, especially if she drain all of her energy. 


The moment she carried me on her back while running with speed flashed on my mind. I couldn't imagine how hard was it for her to do all of that just to save our asses. 


A silver lining shined under the table in the living. It was quite near to me so I decided to reach out for it. I can't define what is it because it is just a hard bound book for me. Maybe, it's a photo album.


Unsure of what is it, I opened the book and it was indeed a photo album.


I turn the pages one by one, slowly, just to be surprised by my very own face. It wasn't just a simple photo album, it was a photo album dedicated to me. Probably, made by Seulgi. 


I turn another page and saw a picture of mine at the gym, the time when I helped Lisa out. Under it was a photo of me and Jisoo burying our noses to our books, faces are serious. On the other page was me pouting with a peace sign. I remembered this when I asked Seulgi to walk me home and she ask me to pose for a photo for an exchange. Under it was a photo of me, Jisoo, Jennie, Sooyoung and Rosé eating like vikings. I continue to turn the pages one by one with appreciation to every photo was taken.


She isn't just good in painting but also in photography. I love every part of her craft work, every bit of it is magnificent. 


There was a photo turned upside down at the middle of the album. There was a hand written on back of it. I narrowed my eyes to see the words clearly.


Happy birthday to my favorite girl in the world! Continue conquering the world with your talents.

Love,  
Hani Unnie <3


I immediately turned it around because I was excited what the photo might look. It was a baby picture of Seulgi, smiling from ear to ear, eyes closed, peace sign on both hands. That's when I know that Seulgi already have this eye smile of hers since she was a kid. 


But if I was surprised how cute Seulgi was on the photo, I was starstruck by Hani's features. There weren't many words to describe her but beautiful. She was hugging her sister from the back with the same smile Seulgi has. 


Then, Hani's voice saying 'we were close when we were young" flashed on my mind. They are indeed close to each other. It can be seen in this photo.


But sadly, a tragedy made them apart.


Knowing this photo was placed between these pages of Seulgi's photo album with her friends as her models, including me, Seulgi really treasured her family. She weren't home for many years but she keep them, especially her sister, to her heart. This action of hers can support my deduction. 


When I was about to open another page from the photo album, the door from my side suddenly cracked open. That was my signal to fold the photo album and put it back to its original place. I carefully stand and lay on the sofa, trying not to make a noise, putting one arm on my forehead, making my mouth ajar, closing my eyes, so I can look like I fall asleep, wanting to prank the person behind the door. 


A quiet footsteps making its way to the living room. I could only hear a sound of a cd jewel case opened and a cd separated from the case after it.


Knowing Seulgi didn't notice me, I sat up. Her back facing me while she was slouching down to reach out for the dvd player and place a cd inside it.


In a few seconds, a soothing music surrounded the glamorous place. She slowly swaying her body to the music.


Krystal was right. The song is very familiar to me.

 

 

***********

 

Author's note: I urged to post another chapter to celebrate Seulgi's comeback from the jungle! 

Please leave a comment about your thoughts to this chapter! Love you a lot! THANK YOU!