Hearing

Nu'est One Shot

 

baekho-1.jpg

When someone had asked you if you had met your soulmate, it would be awkward. Because what are you going to tell them. If you said yes, you had to deal with all the question on how you met them and who is he and where is he. How are you going to tell them that, you met your soulmate, but it didn’t work out, so you guys parted? Or when your answer is a No, they would start giving you prep talks or pity gaze. It really makes you wonder, why is everyone so caught up in the system. But maybe you might have been a little bias of not liking the system, because it didn’t work out for you.

But one thing for sure is that, you could never forget how you met him. And wonder how he is doing. Even though you practically listen to every song that he produces, even after you both have broken up. And sometimes, most of the time, you really wonder of any of the songs he produces is about you. If he is missing, you like you’re missing him. If he still remembers about you and the first time you had met.

-

*4 Years Ago*

 

Looking at the pale blue sky with fluffy clouds, birds flying pass. You wonder how long more before you could finally hear anything. Walking down the streets to your friend’s store, meeting her for lunch. You walked into the store, it’s not as crowed as you have thought. You walked up to her, giving her a friendly hug. Before she signs you to wait awhile more, for her shift to end. You smile at her finding a spot for yourself to sit down and wait for her. Deciding to sit at your usual spot, behind all the shelfs at the back of the store. Walking back there, plopping yourself on the bean bag.

Getting comfortable, you take your time looking around the store. Taking in your surrounding with your eyes, like you always do. Because it is not as if you have your hearing. Thus, growing up you tend to be more observant and alert once you step out of your home. Looking around, you notice a guy not far from you. Also, at the back of the store hidden from the entrance of the store. Looking at him your eyes widen a little from your realisation. He can’t hear as well. That’s why his hand is place on top of the speaker, feeling the beat of the song. So, focus and absorb as if he is in his own whole.

You guess you might have been staring too intensely because, he was breaking out of his focus. Turning is head, looking around, as if to find something. Until his eyes caught yours. And that was the moment that changes everything. Both of you jotting, looking all around. Daze in your eyes and jaw almost dropping to the ground. You could hear everything now. Turing your head back at him, he was already looking at you. His lips stretch all the way up, eyes disappearing as his cheeks lifted up looking a little rounder. While he laughs, and you swear you know that will be the most beautiful sound you would ever hear. Your soulmate’s laughter.

Since that moment, you both tried to interact, with sign language, still not use to hearing each of your own voice. Both of you exchanged numbers and parted your ways that day. And started texting each other. Both of you when on dates, getting to know each other more. You found out that he was really into music. And his dream was to be a producer and someday producing his own songs. And most of your dates are sole focus on getting use to sounds or discovering new sounds together. And it was as if both of you were kids again, learning and discovering new things all over again. And it was more fun because both of you have each other to lean on.

 

*2 Years Ago*

You’re happy for him, just a year prior, he got hire as a producer. Because you know how hard he works on his music. How much time and effort he spends on perfecting each and every tune. Sending drafts and drafts to different company, that he wishes would see his potential as a producer. And finally, after a year of hard work he got hire. And you’re not surprise, you know he has the talent. You can’t be anymore proud for them than you already did. Your boyfriend, your soulmate, your utopia. Because just being with him, even the smallest breath makes you happier. And you know there is a road leading both of you to a brighter future.

 

*1 Year Ago*

You couldn’t be more wrong. You thought everything was going to fall into place. But in fact, it’s the opposite. You just don’t understand why, why isn’t this working out. Why are you guys always fighting. Aren’t both of you suppose to be soulmates. Why is everything breaking a apart. Aren’t soulmate supposed to be made for one another. Aren’t everything suppose to be happily ever after when soulmates meet each other. You can’t help to question the system. Because you feel like you have been betrayed. Because if there isn’t any fault in the system. Why are you having a fall out with your soulmate. Why is he breaking up with you?

You’re the one who has been patient, even when he got no time for you. Too busy working and producing what he loves, till he has forgotten that he has someone by him, waiting on him. And that’s how all the fight started. Which leads to now. All the fights have finally escalated to this. The end of both of your relationship. Because he got tired of fighting and doesn’t want to deal with it anymore. That is why you’re here alone, crying your eyes out. Questioning the world and it’s system. Why put both of you together when it was going to fall apart anyway.

 

*Present*

What’s new. Your crying again. But this time at the back of the club. Why? You got drag to the club by your friends, saying it was time you should find someone new. It was fun in the beginning, you were really having fun. Until you saw him. Drinking with his friends just a few tables away. And it got weirder because he got up from his seat and walk up to you, when he saw you. Giving a little greeting and ask how you were. Of course you told him you have never been better. Both of you got to talk for a little before he when back to his group of friends.

That’s why, now you’re at the back of the club crying. So much for being ‘never been better’. You hate this so much, you hate that your crying. You hate that it still hurts, you hate that you still miss him. You hate that you miss his smile and what you hated most was you miss hearing his laughter. Hearing the most beautiful sound you once hear every day. That’s why you came out of the club, exiting from the back after feeling too much emotion at once. Now seating on the pavement, with your leg up your stomach hands on your knees. As your head buried on your arms and knee. To preoccupied with your emotion to be aware of your surroundings. Not even when the door of the club open and the person took a seat beside you on the pavement.

 

Beak Ho: So much for being ‘never been better’ huh.

 

You are jotting at the sudden voice beside you. An all so familiar voice. Head still buried in your arms. Your emotion turns bitter. You didn’t want him to see you like this. That’s why your angry took the best of you. At the moment all you wanted to do was to get out of this situation. Almost getting to stand up and run away but was hold down by his wrist on your arms.

 

Baek Ho: No.. I’m sorry. I just didn’t know what to say.

Y/N: Why are you even out here. Your friends are inside.

Baek Ho: I need some air.

Y/N: But why aren’t you letting me leave. I just want to be alone.

Baek Ho: I… I thought you were really fine?

Y/N: There’s something called putting on a act.

Baek Ho: Why would you even need to do that?

Y/N: Well for once, I’m suddenly faced with my ex that broken up with me a year ago. Who is having fun with his friend right in the same club that I was dragged to. How fun is that.

Baek Ho: I didn’t think I would see you again.

Y/N: Neither did I. Sorry, I might have ruined your night. It’s just, maybe a year for you is enough to forget all the 3 years we had. But not all of us is that good at moving on.

Baek Ho: You really believed that I could when you couldn’t?

Y/N: Well it seems like it.

Baek Ho: You really think it has been easy for me?

Y/N: Sorry to break it to you but, you’re the one who ended it. You ended everything we had.

Baek Ho: Out of anger. I know it’s not an excuse. And I have never regretted anything more than that. You’re not the only one who knows how to put on an act here. Forget it. Let’s just get you home. It’s so late, and you’re out here alone.

Y/N: I’m fine…

Baek Ho: You know that I fully know you’re not. So, stop fighting me on this. I’m taking you home. Let’s go.

Y/N: Stop making this harder for both of us. Please just go your way and pretend none of this happen. That we didn’t see each other tonight and live our lives as usual.

Baek Ho: No.

Y/N: Baek…

Baek Ho: No I can’t.

Y/N: Why are you doing this?

Baek Ho: I can’t because I have been so miserable ever since you left.

Y/N: I didn’t leave. You broke up with me.

Baek Ho: I KNOW! AND YOU LEFT. You left…. I… I miss you so god damn much. My heart aches without you. I know I’m a jerk. I shouldn’t be forgiven. I just, I just want to spend more time with you. I finally found you again, I just want to spend even a minute more by yourside. Before… before I could let you go.

Y/N: You can’t just say that.

Baek Ho: I know… I know. I’m being selfish here.

Y/N: You can’t just say things like this when you’re the one who broke my heart. I’m the victim here.

Baek Ho: You are…. And I’m the bad guy. I lost you, I lost you due to my selfishness as well. Wanting to achieve so much.

Y/N: Never say that. You’re not wrong for wanting to achieve so much more than you already have. You deserved it. You have the talent and potential. And I’m so proud of you for that. You’ve come such a long way.

Baek Ho: But I’m not happy.

Y/N: Baek…

Baek Ho: Let’s just get you home.

 

He got up taking off his cardigan, pulling you up as well. Putting his cardigan on your shoulders. Proceeding to hold your hand against your will, leading both of you to the main road to hail a cab. The ride in the cab was silent. His was still holding on to your hand, rubbing circle on your knuckles. You could tell he is in deep thought. The way his brows scrunch together a little and nose twitching. A habit when he is thinking about things. Finally getting out of the cab, he led you to your door. Only then he lets go of your hand. Making your heart ache. Because you know, this might be it. Both of you are really going to part way and live your lives without each other anymore.  

 

Baek Ho: I guess this is it.

 

Giving you a small smile and surprising by pulling you in to a hug. Both of your heart clench knowing this might be it. The last time. Your eyes started to fill itself with tears, as you buried your face in between his shoulder. Clenching on to the fabric of his shirt.

 

Y/N: Don’t go…

Baek Ho: Don’t say that… You’re going to give me hope.

Y/N: Baek…

Baek Ho: ! You’re making me cry.

Y/N: Please stay.

Baek Ho: I’m not going anywhere. I’m not leaving you. Not now, not ever baby.

Y/N: It hurts so much…

Baek Ho: I know, my heart hurts to without you. But all that matter is I’m here. And you’re too. Again. And this time, it’s going to stay this way. I’m not leaving. Not again.