{seven}

Good Intentions with Disastrous Results
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Friday finally arrived, Sunggyu could not have been anymore grateful than he was.

The entire week had gone relatively peacefully, but Monday was still very traumatic and Sunggyu was sure that he needed drama therapy for the entire weekend to get over it. Said drama therapy did not include any sort of exercising with Woohyun.

Nada. Zilch. Over his dead body.

Woohyun had oddly been very compliant that morning when Sunggyu insisted that Woohyun not visit him over the weekend. He’d just shrugged and said sure. Sunggyu had a bad feeling about it, but he didn’t bother exploring those bad feelings any more than he needed to. His week had started off badly, but it didn’t mean it had to end badly with endless worrying.

Little did Sunggyu know that he was going to learn why the said man had been very compliant during lunch.

It had started off as a relatively normal lunch, except Woohyun was nowhere to be seen. It was not usual, but it was not strange, since Woohyun had random bursts of productivity in which he would lock himself in the music room to finish arranging a song for the school band. Thinking nothing too much of it, Sunggyu figured that it was just one of those days.

He dug into his kimbap heartily, relishing the taste of pickled carrots and the savoury rice. He also made sure to pack some kimchi to pair with his kimbap lunch, since it was his guilty pleasure of wrapping kimchi around each individual kimbap and then eating it.

Then the intercom overhead crackled to life.

At that point, Sunggyu was not alarmed, because it was common for students to borrow the intercom during lunch to make announcements about club activities after school. In fact, he was not even the slightest bit concerned when he heard a very talented violinist playing a melody. It was actually really soothing to hear an earnest violin melody streaming from the intercom, echoing throughout the school hallways, strange as it was. That was, until he realized that for some reason the tune seemed awfully familiar.

It was not familiar in the sense that Sunggyu had heard it multiple times. Sunggyu was in fact very sure he only heard it once before, or perhaps in passing a few times.

As he continued to eat his kimbap in peace, a growing feeling of dread began to build in his head as he wracked his brain for where and when he heard that exact tune.

For some reason, it almost felt as though he was listening to his own requiem or funeral march as a few more bars of music were played over the intercom.

A few more violins began to chime in and that was when it hit him. Woohyun had been singing that exact tune a few days ago, and the tune was so unfamiliar yet so disconcerting that Sunggyu had named it “Ode to Sunggyu’s Misery”.

Immediately standing up, Sunggyu made to run towards the broadcast room. When he exited the teacher’s bureau, Ms. Jeon was just about to walk in. She looked thoroughly amused, holding a few sheets with music staves printed on it.

While she did look amused, she was also very concerned.

“You should run for your life before the lyrics start,” she said, looking amused but horrified at the same time. “I was just given this by one of the students in music…”

Lyrics…? Sunggyu was not sure if he even wanted to know what the lyrics were.

Horrified to the point that Sunggyu thought maybe he should just run and never return to the school, Sunggyu could only nod curtly at the woman before taking her advice.

He ran like his life depended on it to the broadcast room.

He ran past the principal, who did not even bother shouting at him to not run in the hallway.

“His name is Kim Sunggyu…” a beautiful, rich voice drifted out in the midst of the violins.

A chorus of voices then began to embellish his name began to pierce through the ensemble of violins, “Kim Sunggyu.”

That was when he burst right into the broadcasting room. He could barely make out the lyrics to the song, but he was very sure he did not want to know.

Standing right by the intercom microphone was a nervous looking Dongwoo and a very proud-looking Woohyun. Woohyun had possession of Bluetooth speakers sitting near him by the microphone, that were probably attached to his laptop that sat nearby.

“Turn that off, before the two of you somehow end up time travelling to the next century,” Sunggyu commanded, narrowing his eyes at the two of them. He was just about to lose his mind because of this two-Woo duo.

Woohyun pouted at that while Dongwoo was very willing to comply. He shut off the microphone immediately and at long last, Sunggyu could no longer hear the echoing of the song throughout the hallway of the school.

“Whose idea was this?”

Immediately the two of them pointed at each other, neither willing to take the blame when Sunggyu was looking very scary.

“He’s the poet!”

“He’s the composer!”

They both exclaimed at the same time. Then they both gulped, noticing the murderous expression on his face.

That was how the entire school witnessed both the music and physical-education-but-primarily-literature teacher being chased around the school field by the math teacher, who was clearly out of shape compared to them.

Although no one could really make out what they were saying to one another (and no one really wanted to be close, in case Mr. Kim really exploded), any idiot could make out the following three things.

One, that Mr. Jang was super-duper scared for his life. It was evident that he really was scared, because he gave Mr. Kim very little chance to come anywhere near him.

Two, that Mr. Nam found the entire fiasco hilarious and he didn’t find Mr. Kim very scary unless he was about to catch him. He almost got caught a few times because he laughed so hard he couldn’t run anymore and had no choice but to roll on the grass. (And his life honestly probably flashed before his eyes).

Three, and lastly, that any day now, Mr. Kim was going to hand in his resignation and just move to another school.

“Don’t you wonder a little about what the entire song is, though?” Sungyeol asked his two best friends as they watched the three teachers wrestle each other. Sungyeol almost snorted at the thought of the lyrics. He had no idea who wrote them, but there was definitely room for improvement.

“Not really,” Myungsoo shrugged. He was a music student and he actually helped out with the song. He didn’t participate in the lyric writing, but he was one of the vocalists. “We’ve been practicing that song often in music and I was assigned to sing some of the lyrics.”

Sungjong could only opt to say, “Not sure if I really want to know… the first bit was already pretty questionable…”

The three friends could only watch in silence, both Myungsoo and Sungyeol both agreeing with Sungjo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter