(Con)graduation

Brian in the Life of Jae
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t believe it’s over.” Wonpil squeaks, as another wave of fresh tears threatens to fall down his cheeks.

“Awww, don’t be such a baby.” Jae coos mockingly, but still wraps his arms around Wonpil, squeezing the soul out of him.

Let’s not get Jae wrong, he loves Wonpil. Well, loved Wonpil. Scratch that. He still loves him but in a friendly way. Yet, he cannot let him know that. They are the Tom and Jerry of their class. He can’t ruin it just by weeping together with him, just because it’s the day of their graduation (even if he feels like bawling his eyes out).

“Okeeeeey~ enough skinship lovebirds.” Sungjin pulls Jae by his arm, and Jae can already tell from the way his eyebrows are knotted together and lips are pulled into a strained smile, voice also pitched higher than usual, that he’s slightly unhappy about Jae hugging Wonpil. Jae raises his hands in surrender. “He’s all yours to hug now, Bob.”

“Don’t Bob me, Park!” Sungjin whisper-shouts at the other.

“Nah, nah, nah. You-“ Jae pokes his finger jokingly into Sungjin’s chest. “-don’t Park me, Bob.” Then he pulls him so close that his lips are brushing the shell of Sungjin’s ear. “And finally confess...” He whispers, and it totally doesn’t startle Sungjin when he turns his head around and finds Wonpil’s face just inches away from his.

“Confess what?” Wonpil is now grinning wider than any other time before, looking from Jae to Sungjin.

“Bob will tell you, Pil.” Jae turns on his heel and stomps  hurriedly towards Dowoon, who until now, was just awkwardly standing next to them. Jae grabs him around shoulders, and starts walking away from the flustered Sungjin  and confused Wonpil. Hoping that finally, one of these days Sungjin will be able to confess what he wanted to confess for years...

“You realize that he’ll kill you once he’s done explaining.” Dowoon looks up at Jae, who only shrugs his shoulders. “Puhaha. As if. My legs are longer, plus we’ve got like two hours until he’d stutter out what he feels.” Jae smiles down at his friend, directing him towards the rest of their classmates, who are already seated in a row up front of the ceremony hall.

“Where are Bob and his usual dose of pills?” Jackson asks as soon as Jae plumps down in the seat right next to him. Jae turns around, Jackson mirrors his action. They are looking at Sungjin and Wonpil who are still standing in the back, talking. “Ooooh.” Jackson squeals, making people around to give them weird looks, but Jae being Jae is used to receive those. “They’re having the talk!!”

“Good job, Sherlock.” Jae tells Jackson and turns back front, throwing his arm around Dowoon’s shoulders once again. It was automatic action, Jae always found Dowoon cute, cuter than Wonpil, even (even though Wonpil would disagree).

 

 

“Confess what?” Wonpil asks once Sungjin is done with glaring at Jae’s retreating back. “Huh?” Wonpil prods at Sungjin’s chest excitedly.

“That is... uhh-“ Sungjin stutters and rubs at his neck furiously. He totally wasn’t expecting it to be like this. He wanted to confess for ages, but he never had guts to do so. Now when he finally could and Jae gave him all the space he needed, he has problem with putting together at least one coherent sentence. “about that... well-“

Wonpil looks at him with cocked brow, smile broader than whole Pacific and arms crossed at his chest. “I can see that this will take longer to explain. How about I go take a seat now, and you’ll tell me then?” Wonpil is already on his way when Sungjin registers what Wonpil said.

“No. Stop.” Sungjin runs over to stand in front of him and taking a deep breath: “Ilikeyou.” He says hurriedly. Wonpil’s mouth is open, wider than he’s ever seen him open it, some people would say that his jaw dropped. And Sungjin waits, second, two, three... ten. Just then Wonpil, closes his mouth, opens it again to say something but nothing comes out, just some strangled noises as he looks over Sungjin’s shoulder at something.

Sungjin turns around to look in the same direction. Notices Jae turning back front, his arm coming around Dowoon’s shoulder. “Say something..” Sungjin pleads upon turning back to Wonpil. He doesn’t know what made the other so flustered, his awkward confession or the arm curled around Dowoon’s shoulders.

Wonpil clears his throat, shaking his head. “It’s... I have someone I like.” He says at last. Trying to smile, but this smile (and Sungjin knows it) is rather strained and spreads on Wonpil’s face only when he feels uncomfortable. It makes his insides twist that he is the one who makes Wonpil uncomfortable.

“I know...” Sungjin smiles, it doesn’t reach his eyes.

Wonpil’s eyes widen slightly. “Do you.. do you know who’s the one I like?”

Sungjin runs his fingers through his hair nervously and lets out humourless laugh. “I’ve got no idea, but he’s one lucky bastard.”

Wonpil’s shoulders visibly relax upon hearing the answer. He couldn’t have anyone know. It was one sided, yes, but the problem was that the guy he pins after was in love with someone else... Sungjin on the other hand, didn’t want to tell Wonpil that he knew. Because this way, he doesn’t have to feel bad for Wonpil. Because as long as Wonpil thinks he doesn’t know who he’s pinning after, he wouldn’t have to hold back, he can fight for it. Jae likes someone else anyway.

Wonpil laughs awkwardly. “I’m sorry.” He looks down on his feet and only raises his head when Sungjin asks him if he want to go sit, because the ceremony will start shortly.

 

It’s no surprise to Sungjin that Wonpil sits down right next to Jae, who is excitedly throwing his hands all around as he is talking to Jackson. He is talking rather loudly, because Dowoon is sitting right between them. Jackson’s face turned from excited to totally straight in a matter of seconds once he noticed that Wonpil sat down next to Jae. He nudges Jae, who twirls around to wiggle his eyebrows at Sungjin, mouthing How did it go?

Sungjin gives Jae a sad smile and shakes his head as he sits down. He likes Jae and even though he is the sole reason why he was rejected, he couldn’t hate his best friend no matter the circumstances.

Jae’s gaze slid to Wonpil who found the stage up front way more interesting than anything else around him.

“So-“ Jae starts nudging Wonpil with his bony arm. “Did he tell you?” Jae can hear Sungjin choke (probably on his spit). Wonpil turns to look at Jae with an expression of a deer caught in the headlights. Jae could tell someone did not expect this question.

He wanted to give Sungjin a friendly nudge to finally confess. What he didn’t expect, however, that Sungjin would straight away get rejected. He knew Wonfeel had feels for (cough) someone. He was not dumb, he could see all through Wonpil, he could see him doing goo-goo eyes every other day, but there was no way in hell that he would betray his friend who was head over heels for Wonpil. He once liked Wonpil in a m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter