Five

The boy on the other side of the river

Another peaceful morning yet to greet Taehyung, the sun rise waking him up from his sleep. He prepares the Christmas tree right after having breakfast. He helps his mother with the decorations, and finally places the star on top of the tree. He settles down the presents under the tree, and switches on the fairy lights the following minute. He wears his Santa hat to take pictures with the Christmas tree, but winces when he hears his mother calling him from the kitchen.

 

“ Why don’t you invite the boy that you always talk about ? “

 

“ I would love to, but it’s not possible “

 

“ I’m really curious about him, he seems lovely “

 

“ he is “ Taehyung smiles while fiddling with his fingers.

 

He heads back to the living room, laying down on the sofa he turns the TV on. three minutes pass and he’s slowly drifting to sleep. His mother wakes him up an hour later. He stretches his back inbreathing the freshly baked Christmas biscuits, he gets up shuffling to the kitchen, his mom stops him. 

 

“ you’re not allowed to eat the biscuits now “

 

He pouts.

 

“ I’ll pack them so you can eat them with him

 

“..okay “ 

 

Taehyung steps back into the living room, he grabs his camera going upstairs to his room. He washes his face, changes his clothes and wears something to protect him from the cold. He brushes his hair, and wears a beanie. He gets back down putting his shoes on, he takes the packed biscuits from his mother’s hands. And leaves the house, taking his time while slowly walking to the river. Taehyung suddenly gasps and runs back, he forgot his camera.

After picking it up he leaves again, but this time he decided to run. It felt like he wasted enough time already.

 

He puts down the box of biscuits, and places his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. He waves at Yoongi’s direction greeting him. He then proceeds to cross the river with a little help. He flops next to his river boy, offering him the biscuits. Yoongi opens the box, and instantly smiles. He looks at Taehyung asking for permission if he can eat first.

 

“ go ahead, also don’t worry I’m not gonna make you choke again “

 

Yoongi snorts, he takes a bite of the biscuit and he sways his body right to left, enjoying the icing’s taste in his mouth. Taehyung helps himself with a biscuit, and shoves the whole thing in his mouth. He puts the box of biscuits away from Yoongi’s thigh, laying his head instead. Yoongi doesn’t react, he reaches for another one but Taehyung grabs Yoongi’s hand and places it on his head. Yoongi gets the message, and runs his fingers through Taehyung’s hair. Slightly, massaging his scalp. Yoongi doesn’t give up on the biscuits and reaches for them once more, the other hand still on Taehyung’s head. He puts the entire biscuit in his mouth, preventing the crumbs from going everywhere. Yoongi gives up on taking another one, and just continues caressing Taehyung’s head.

 

“ Taehyung “ Yoongi calls, and Taehyung hums in response. 

 

“ Hey, sleepyhead. get up “ 

 

“ don’t wanna “ He replies, digging his face into Yoongi’s thigh

 

“ ah, it tickles. c’mon now get up “

 

Taehyung slowly raises his body, he turns to look at Yoongi, he pokes Yoongi's cheek with his nose.

 

“ what do you want ? “

 

Yoongi silently holds Taehyung’s hand, interlocking their fingers together. He sighs.

 

“ i’m tired “

 

“ tired of what “

 

“ of hurting you, without you realizing it “

 

Taehyung gives him a weird look.

 

" I don't know who created me but I know that my job is to steal people's happiness to keep on living. Once I stopped stealing people's happiness, but it wrecked me. It was scary. "

 

" ..you told me that no one knows about your existence but me "

 

" well yeah, after they lose their happiness I disappear from their memories "

 

Taehyung squeezes Yoongi's hand. Yoongi's gaze drops on Taehyung. He can see Taehyung holding back his tears. Yoongi begins to talk again:

 

" my feelings for your are real thoug- " Taehyung cuts him off with a tight hug, making him fall on his back.

 

" you said you'll stay with me forever.. Don't leave me.. I don't care if you steal my happiness I need you by my side " He sniffles between his words. Yoongi starts tearing up, clutching at his jacket and rubbing his face on Taehyung's shoulder.

 

" I don't want to leave but I have to, everyday.. it gets harder for me to leave you "

 

Sun slowly sets, skies getting darker by the minute. Snowflakes gently falling.

Taehyung gets up, still on top of Yoongi, staring at him. He wipes Yoongi's tears, and reaches for his camera.

 

" my eyes are red though "

 

" it's fine "

 

He turns his camera on, and looks through the lens. Right before taking the picture a snow flake falls on the tip of Yoongi's nose and others on his hair. Taehyung takes the picture and immediately looks up at the sky.

 

" Did you plan this out ? "

 

" I'm sorry "

 

Yoongi covers his eyes trying to stop his tears from falling. Taehyung gets off of him, and helps the other boy to sit back up. He pouts. Taehyung ruffles Yoongi's hair to erase that pout off his lips. 

 

" play your ukulele for me one last time " 

 

Yoongi nods wiping his nose, he claps making the ukulele appear between his hands. Taehyung sits closer to Yoongi, resting his head on his shoulder. He observes the falling snow, and appreciates what he's hearing for the last time. He’s fast asleep. Yoongi’s tears still streaming down his cheeks, after hitting the last note he slowly disappears like dust. Taehyung falls on his side, and wakes up. A tear ran down his cheek. The rest followed with unbroken stream, he cries in pain. He doesn’t know why he’s crying, but his heart hurts. He continued crying for a while, until his tears dried out.

 

He sits up, dizzy from all the weeping. He looks over at the box of biscuits and his camera, he picks his camera up to take a look at the last picture he took. He sees a picture of a light-blue haired boy, but he doesn’t seem to recognize him. He ignores that fact, he picks the box of biscuits along with his camera returning back home. 

 

The feeling of emptiness stayed with him, and he can’t seem to figure it out. A faded memory still lingers within him, unable to ever retrieve it, he moves on with life, and cherishes the photo of the cheerful rosy cheeked boy named Yoongi. An old friend, perhaps. Taehyung thought to himself, as he marched his way back home, never to walk beside the riverbank again.