Four

The boy on the other side of the river

 

Taehyung prepares his scowling face before taking a step closer, eyes meeting with Yoongi’s. He couldn’t help but simper, emptying his mind from all the mean things he was willingly attempting to throw at Yoongi. He settled down, squinting his eyes at the boy.

“ what kind of other tricks you have up your sleeve, magician ? “ Taehyung asked, making the other titter.

 

“ first of all I’m not a magician, and I’m sorry about yesterday “ he says the last part teasingly, Taehyung scrunches his nose and yells.

 

“ are you mocking me ? “ 

 

“ your red face was cute, okay ? “

 

Taehyung murmurs “ shut up “ but also adds to change the subject:

 

“ why did you disappear so quickly yesterday ? “

 

“ I don’t think that’s something we need to talk about “

 

“ yeah ? and leaving whenever you feel like it isn’t very cool “

 

Yoongi apologizes, trying to find words to make it up to him.“ it’s quiet hard for me to explain… sometimes I have sudden breakdowns that I can’t control, but when I feel like it’s coming it’s better for me to disappear, and not ugly cry in front of you “

 

That took a turn, Taehyung thought. Preferably he wanted to change the subject, but a question spilled out of his mouth. whoops.

 

“ what’s wrong with crying in front of me? “

 

Yoongi sighs, “ there’s nothing wrong, it’s just me… Forget it, let’s talk about you “

 

Taehyung looked down at his fingers, as soon as he looked back up to say something Yoongi wasn’t there. He low-key triggered him. And now he regrets talking with his big mouth, he wants to beat himself up. And now he has to wait for hours and hours, until it’s time for them to meet again.

 

 

 

 He stealthily walks, peeking. Yoongi still isn’t there, he crosses the river to wait for him at his spot. He jolts when Yoongi appears behind him tapping his shoulder. He gets up immediately pulling Yoongi into a tight hug, he avoids mentioning yesterday despite the events roaming around his head. Yoongi beams at him as he starts talking about different things, and old stories that he barely remembers. Surprisingly, they talked until the sun was down. Stargazing together was new to them, it was immensely relaxing. Taehyung went back home filled with positive energy, but got scolded for returning back home late at night.

 

 

 

Taehyung packed the cookies his mother made, skipping to the river like an excited high school girl. They exchange glances and smiles from afar, till they’re sitting next to each other munching down the baked cookies. “ they taste really good “ Yoongi says while he stuffs his face with another one , Taehyung nods in agreement. He leaves the last piece for Yoongi, and proceeds to wash his hand in the river. He shifts his head to look at Yoongi eating the last cookie, he smirks. Instead of shaking the water off his hands he wipes it on Yoongi’s face, he bursts laughing, meanwhile Yoongi chokes and starts coughing. 

Taehyung’s laughs subside when he noticed that Yoongi wouldn’t stop coughing, he freaks out pulling a water bottle out of his backpack offering it to him. After sorting things out Taehyung doesn’t stop apologizing “ I’m really sorry, I wanna make it up to you, please tell me what you want from me ”, Yoongi snorts.

 

 “ you’re already giving me all I need, Taehyung “ 

 

“ are you for real ? I just made you choke, what is that great thing that I gave you ? “

 

“ stop asking, I don’t need anything from you except for your presence “ He stutters between his words. Taehyung slowly responses with a nod. He rapidly blinks, Then counted at the tip of his fingers how many days have passed since their first encounter of each other. He gasps.

 

“ It’s been a month and a half already ? “

 

“ what are you talking about ? “

 

“ we’ve been friends for almost a month and a half “

 

“ it feels longer than that though “

 

“ yeah! that’s what I’m thinking… and winter is coming soon, how exciting “

 

Taehyung spaces out, eyes on Yoongi. Yoongi pokes the tip of his nose, he snaps out of it.

“ what’s wrong ? “

 

“ ah, I was just thinking of how awesome it'd be to watch the first snowfall together “ 

 

“ if it’s going to make you happy, then let’s do it “ Yoongi smiles. Taehyung immediately takes his phone out, he checks his calendar and nods. He gets up.

 

“ alrighty, it’s settled then “

 

“ you’re leaving already ? “

 

“ yeah, mom told me to get back home early “

 

“ oh, take care then “

 

Taehyung waves, blowing a flying kiss. Yoongi laughs and waves back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As the days come and go

 

Taehyung wore a jacket over his hoodie, wrapping a scarf around his neck. He’s fully prepared for winter, and ready to meet his river boy. He blows hot air into his hands, rubbing them while walking closer to the river. He carefully crosses it sitting next to the other boy. He takes out mittens out of his pockets, demanding Yoongi to wear them. He also takes his scarf off to wrap it around Yoongi’s neck.

 

“ Taehyung, I already told you that weather doesn’t affect me “

 

“ but your body is too freaking cold “

 

He hugs Yoongi tightly.

 

“ doesn’t it feel much better now ? “

 

“ well yeah, but I swear I’m okay. You’re the one who needs the scarf and those mittens more than I do “

 

Taehyung unwraps the scarf, wrapping it around both of their necks.

 

“ are you trying to share ? or are you trying to get too close to my face ? “

 

Taehyung grins answering Yoongi’s question:

 

“ both ! “

 

“ y-you’re too honest “

 

Yoongi blushes, escaping out of the scarf. Taehyung frowns. He fixes the scarf, and squeezes Taehyung’s cheeks with the knitted mittens. 

 

“ stop frowning “

 

“ i’ll stop if you hug me “

 

Yoongi sighs rolling his eyes, but hugs him. Taehyung wraps his arms around his waist hugging him tighter.  

 

“ Taehyung, th-that’s too tight “

 

“ hmm.. “

 

Yoongi pats him on the back, blood rushing to his cheeks. Taehyung finally let’s go looking at the shy Yoongi. Taking him by surprise he places his hand on Yoongi’s chest, He smiles.

 

“ your heart is beating really fast “

 

Yoongi tenses, pushing Taehyung’s shoulder. “ I’m leaving “ he gets up.

 

“ you’ll need to return the mittens first “

 

Yoongi looks at Taehyung, arched brows, and a disturbed face. He takes the mittens off throwing them at Taehyung. Taehyung snorts getting up, he grabs Yoongi’s wrist.

 

“ Im kiddin- “

 

Yoongi yanked his hand away, and pushed Taehyung making him fall on his back. He tries getting up.

 

“ Yoon… gi ? “

 

He’s gone. 

 

“ oh man “.