Two

The boy on the other side of the river

Taehyung woke up before afternoon, it was Saturday, so he was allowed to sleep as much as he wanted. He is refusing to get out of bed, he feels warm and cozy, but his stomach also growls. He took a walk after having his first meal of the day, it was chilly outside. It felt amazing to him though, he enjoyed it a lot. Eventually, his feet took him to the river. He saw the boy again, and he was surprised. He never thought he'll come here subconsciously. Yoongi stopped playing his ukulele to look at Taehyung. He smiled as if he expected it. Taehyung blushed. He sat on the grass, and it was softer than the day before. Or maybe it's just in his mind.

 

" what are you ? " Yoongi's eyes widened, he decided not to answer the question.

Taehyung apologized for making the boy feel uncomfortable. Yoongi stayed quiet. 

Taehyung spoke once again:

 

" why do you come here ? "

 

Yoongi's cheeks turned pink, and he slowly tries forming words. It took him a bit but he still answered.

 

" to see you "

 

The answer left Taehyung stunned and flustered. His staring made Yoongi lift up his ukulele to act like he's hiding behind it. Taehyung thought it was cute, he giggled, and used his hands to block his eyes from staring at Yoongi. Yoongi peeks at Taehyung, and so does Taehyung. Taehyung grins, and a small smile appears between Yoongi’s cheeks.

 

 Yoongi wanted to fill the silence between them, he rested his ukulele back on his thighs and started playing the melody he played yesterday. It filled Taehyung’s heart with an overwhelming amount of happiness, it’s unbelievable. 

 

Taehyung got on his feet and crossed the river, he would’ve tripped over the rocks if he wasn’t careful. He got his pants a little wet, but he couldn’t resist the melody that was pulling him. Yoongi was startled when Taehyung sat beside him, he didn’t notice him when he crossed the river. Yoongi leaned back as Taehyung leaned in staring in his eyes. 

 

“ I feel really happy right now, thank you “

 

Taehyung’s words made Yoongi’s eyelashes flutter, He blushed, but his tears fell down his cheeks immediately. Taehyung leaned back in confusion and worry.

 

“ I’m really sorry “ Yoongi cries getting up. This time he didn’t disappear, he ran away.

He left Taehyung. Taehyung returned home after sunset, feeling empty. He sat around the dinner table. Dinner didn’t fill him in any way possible. He went to bed early. It might help, he thought. 

 

 

 

 

 

Taehyung sighs heavily, sketching a picture of a ukulele on his notebook. One of his classmates creeps on him.

 

“ nice drawing there, buddy “

 

He didn’t even flinch, and shut his notebook. Taehyung rested his head on the table, not wanting his personal space invaded. His classmate scoots away without saying any other word. He dozed off in the class multiple times that day, and it’s nothing new. Taehyung’s classmates avoided bothering him, but some of them don’t know how to stay in their own lane. Taehyung snapped, he grabbed his backpack and stormed out of class. The school day didn’t end yet, but he got sick of it.

 

Taehyung wasn’t heading home, he hated the idea of waiting to meet Yoongi after school. He went to the river, he saw him, he found him. He found Yoongi. He dropped his backpack, Yoongi’s eyes met his. Taehyung’s anger and frustration left his head. He fell on the grass , laughing at himself. He didn’t expect feeling overwhelmingly happy and relieved, after seeing Yoongi on the other side. He couldn’t even question him about last time. 

 

“ you’re early “

 

Yoongi smiled, and Taehyung scratched the back of his neck.

 

“ yeah “

 

Taehyung stood on his feet, and took a step forward. Taehyung hesitated. He asked Yoongi for permission, and crossed the river. He awkwardly sat next to Yoongi, Yoongi noticed. He chuckled.

 

“ it’s okay, you can relax “

 

Taehyung blushed. Yoongi placed his hand over Taehyung’s hand, trying to properly look at Taehyung.

 

“ I have no excuse nor an explanation of what I did before, i’m sorry “

 

“ you’re here now, that’s enough “

 

Taehyung’s cheeks red and warm, He was quite embarrassed of what he said. Yoongi starts playing with Taehyung’s long fingers. 

 

“ do you want me to play the ukulele again ? “

 

Taehyung nods, and Yoongi smiles. It didn’t help Taehyung’s heart to calm down, but Yoongi letting go of his hand to play the ukulele did. Yoongi closes his eyes as he plays the ukulele, Taehyung does too. Days pass and them meeting up became regular, they have long talks, Yoongi plays the ukulele, and disappears afterwards.

 

 

 

Taehyung was late. He spots Yoongi curled up, sleeping on the grass. He smiles softly and sits down, he takes his camera out of his backpack. He took a picture of him, it didn’t count as a sneaky shot, because he asked Yoongi about it before. Taehyung placed his camera down, he didn’t want to wake him up yet. He hummed the tune that Yoongi always played to him. It didn’t reach Yoongi’s hearing, but he woke up on his own. Rubbing his eyes, he gasped.

 

“ was I sleeping for too long ? “

 

“ i’m not sure, I just arrived. Sorry for making you wait “

 

Yoongi sits up shaking his head, and fixes his hair that went astray. Taehyung excitedly takes his notebook out of his backpack, like he just remembered something important. He starts scribbling something, or thats how it looked like to Yoongi. He wondered and asked Taehyung what he was doing.

 

“ I’m only finishing up something I’ve been writing a couple of days ago “

 

He takes his time while concentration possesses him. Yoongi sits on the other side silently observing him. Taehyung finally looks up at Yoongi and asks him to play his ukulele. He takes his ukulele, placing his fingers on the strings letting them do their job. Taehyung rocks his body from side to side, enjoying what he’s hearing. He then picks his notebook up, and starts singing soulfully. Yoongi is experiencing something he never thought that would happen, He was amazed. He almost stopped playing the ukulele, but didn’t want to ruin this unbelievably beautiful moment. Taehyung’s voice was ravishing that flowers might spill out of Yoongi’s ears, if it was possible. He pulled off an ineffable high note, it made goosebumps crawl all over Yoongi’s body. As soon as Taehyung finished singing, Yoongi applauded, gleaming smile drawing on his face. It made Taehyung blush.

 

“ that was amazing, I’m speechless “

 

Taehyung ducks his head shyly, and glances at his watch.

 

“ oops ! I should be studying right now, I have to go “

 

He shuts his eyes, waiting for Yoongi to vanish. 

 

“ you can go first “ 

 

Taehyung opens his eyes with a dumb expression on his face, he took a while to realize what Yoongi said. He picked his stuff and waved as he left, it might’ve been unusual to him, but it didn’t cause any harm.