Three

The boy on the other side of the river

The other day, Yoongi waited and waited. Perhaps Taehyung is going to sing again, but he didn’t even show up. He’s probably studying for his finals. He was wrong. Taehyung was just sleeping, he did study but not enough. He woke up in the middle of the night, and continued studying. He stayed up until sunrise and the time has come to take the test, He finished it and left immediately to the river. He saw Yoongi laying on the grass like always. 

Yoongi sat up when he heard Taehyung’s footsteps, He smiled widely, it made Taehyung feel remorseful for not meeting him yesterday. 

He decided that today is one of the days he crossed the river to sit by Yoongi, and so he did. 

 

“ how was the test ? “ Yoongi asked.

 

“ It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, but there were couple of messed up questions “

 

“ then there’s a big chance that you’re getting a decent mark “

 

“ i’m not that confident though, only time will tell “ Taehyung sighed.

 

He rested his head on Yoongi’s shoulder, gazing at him.

 

“ so what did you do when I didn’t show up ,yesterday ? “

 

He was somehow flustered of Taehyung’s act, he kept it short and pointed at his ukulele. It helped his situation, and at least made Taehyung drop his gaze to look at the ukulele. He picked his ukulele, he plays with the strings and it’s different from usual. It’s slow and sweet, far more beautiful than the one Taehyung was used to hear. He grinned, slowly drifting to sleep. That’s how it always went when Yoongi played his ukulele, Taehyung would try to resist. Sometimes he’d fail and sometimes he’ll listen to the whole thing, this time he couldn’t keep his eyes open. Yoongi offered him his thigh to rest his head on, and went to deep sleep. 

He cracked a smile, playing with the younger’s soft hair, his smile disappeared right away when a tear fell down his cheek. Breathing felt hard, he chose to leave. Slowly placing Taehyung’s head on the grass, he left.

His deep sleep was interrupted by the grass that scratched his nose, he woke up to a familiar vibe of Yoongi that’s nowhere to be found. He expected it. He met him the next day, and he was happy again.

 

He crossed the river once more, craving Yoongi’s presence. He talked to him about school and played with his soft light-blue hair strands, making him blush and avoid Taehyung’s eyes thats on him. He sang to Yoongi, sending goose bumps down his spine. He then laid down, arms behind his head studying the clouds, and spoke:

 

“ I don’t usually feel comfortable talking about my feelings… but something about you calms me down and puts me to ease, It also makes me very contented and delighted “ He sits up straight and adds:

 

“ I want to stay with you forever “ He holds Yoongi’s hand staring at him.

 

“ would you stay by my side, forever ? “

 

Yoongi wants to say something, but words aren’t coming out of his mouth. He tries, and it’s not working. Taehyung smiles, a sad smile. He stands tall.

 

“ come tomorrow if your answer is a yes “

 

He ruffled his hair, leaving him behind. He went back home, trying not to think a lot about it. He’s going to meet Yoongi tomorrow after all and he’ll be happy again, well that’s going to happen if only he was there for him. The rest of his day was long and didn’t end as fast as usual. His brain didn’t stop working, not until he was knocked out to sleep at 4 in the morning.

 

Taehyung was late for school, He didn’t bother running. He was ready to take in all of the scolding he’ll receive soon. His brain blocked him from thinking about anything, he walked around the school halls spaced out. He bumped into an upper class man, and got punched. His cheek didn’t hurt him, he didn’t feel anything nor he paid attention to his surroundings. He got up on his feet walking away. The clock ticked quietly as the bell rang. 

 

He walked slowly, he was scared of arriving quickly. Nervousness eating his insides every time he took a step closer to the river. Anxiety growing every second. As soon as he arrived, he smiled at himself. Guilt weighting heavily on is back, it would’ve been better if he kept his mouth shut. He turned around, taking a large step that was stopped by Yoongi’s voice calling his name.

 

He looked back and saw Yoongi standing on the other side, He dropped his bag and ran crossing the river excitedly. He tripped on the last rock, flopping over Yoongi with a wide grin. 

Taehyung starts giggling while hugging the other boy.

 

“ thank you for not letting me down, I thought that I was never going to see you again “

 

They both sit back up crossing their legs, Yoongi holds Taehyung’s face in worry.

 

“ why is your cheek bruised ? what happened ? “

 

Heat finds it’s way across Taehyung’s cheeks, and he looks away.

 

“ it’s no big deal “

 

“ It is a big deal ! “ 

 

He grabs his ukulele ready to work some of his magic, but Taehyung stops him.

 

“ it’s fine, I want it to fade on it’s own “

 

“ tell me what happened first “ Yoongi demands.

 

“ I bumped into someone without apologizing “

 

“ and they did that to you? how ridiculous “

 

Yoongi clicks his tongue, and raises his hand again Taehyung’s cheek softly. Yoongi showing too many emotions at once was too much for him, let alone the hand thats placed on his cheek. 

 

“ you should be more careful “ 

 

Taehyung nods, and Yoongi finally puts his hand down. Now it felt quiet awkward, but something popped up in Taehyung’s mind to save the situation. Or maybe not.

 

“ h-how come you can always disappear in a blink of an eye ? “

 

Yoongi didn’t look shocked from the question, he expected it to come sooner or later.

 

“ hmm… I really don’t think I can explain that “ He lays on his side.

 

“ what about that time when you healed me ? “

 

“ putting it in the simplest way, you can call it magic  “

 

“ so thats it ! disappearing was a part of the magic too, you’re a magician, right ? “

 

Yoongi smiled sheepishly at the question. “ I wouldn’t use that term to describe myself, It’s completely different, magic is the only word that can explain my actions to humans ”

 

“ If you’re not human then wha- “

 

“ woah Taehyung, slow down. Too many questions at once “

 

Taehyung crosses his arms.

 

“ we always talk about me and the things I do, but I want to know more about you, it’s unfair “

 

“ you, knowing about my existence is a huge thing, no other human saw me nor knows about me “

 

Taehyung was a little surprised by the fact, a hint of blush emerging his cheeks. He felt special. Yoongi sat back up.

 

“ Taehyung “

 

“ hmm? “

 

“ close your eyes “

 

Taehyung was about to close his eyes, but opened them widely instead.

 

“ you’re going to disappear aren’t you ? “

 

“ just- “

 

Yoongi uses his hands to block Taehyung’s view. 

 

“ alright, alright i’ll close my eyes “

 

He cups Taehyung’s cheeks. Taehyung holds his breath from the touch, heart beating and face reddening. He doesn’t know what to expect from this, he silently waits for something to happen. Yoongi pinches his bruised cheek making him flinch.

 

“ ow ! what was that Yoo- “

 

He opens his eyes realizing that Yoongi disappeared. He’s pissed, because he was in an embarrassing position. And surely, because of Yoongi’s disappearance too. A sudden tingling feeling grows in his cheek. He gasps and hurries to look at his reflection. The bruise was gone, yet again Yoongi treated him without his permission. A part of him was relieved, he wouldn’t need to explain himself to his mother.