Eight

Love on Ice

Quick Author's Note (just thought I should clarify a few things):

  1. In case you aren't familiar with the acronyms, Jungkook goes to the School of Performing Arts (SOPA), which is where he actually graduated from. Yuju went there too, but for the sake of the plot, she's attending Hanlim Multi Art School, a rival school in Seoul. 
  2. Although Taehyung is technically older than Jungkook in real life, he's the same age in the story. They are both juniors. Jimin is also a senior at SOPA.
  3. Namjoon, who owns the skating rink, is going to college part time to get his MBA (CEO! Namjoon haha). 
  4. Yoongi, Jin, and Hoeseok will most likely be making appearances too. I'll also try to include scenes with the rest of Gfriend. 

Onward to the chapter! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jungkook hurriedly washes his face in the locker room, cursing softly as he glances at his watch. 4:45 pm. It's going to be a miracle if he gets to the cafe on time.

He doesn't waste any more time and throws on the fresh white t-shirt he brought with him to work. Grabbing his bag, he sprints out the door and nearly careens into Namjoon, who's carrying a large grocery bag.

"Ahh! Jungkook, watch it kid!" Namjoon yells, as Jungkook pulls a 360 to dodge out of the way at the last second. Unfortunately for the older man, his natural state of balance was already suspect at best, and this was not helped by the heavy load in his arms. 

"Sorry hyung!" Jungkook yells and tries to grab him before he falls, but instead, grabs the brown paper bag. With a loud ripping sound, it breaks and about 30 or so lemons spill to the ground.  

Namjoon just sighs. He should have known it was too good to be true to have no mishaps during his shopping trip today.

Jungkook stares at the brightly colored fruit littering the ground. "Er... what's all this for, hyung?"

Namjoon starts patiently picking up the lemons as he explains. "I'm starting a new diet - apparently lemon juice is good for your metabolism. Did you know that there are only 17 calories per lemon - " 

Jungkook glances at his watch as he tunes out Namjoon's lecture on the health benefits of lemons. , it's already 4:50. If he let's him, Namjoon will probably give an hour long dissertation on lemons. Grabbing a few lemons from the ground, Jungkook hands them over and hastily cuts him off. "Sorry hyung! I gotta run!"

Concerned, Namjoon yells after his quickly retreating form. "Careful not to knock down anyone else! Where are you going, anyways?"

Jungkook turns and flashes him a grin, "I've got a date today!"

Quickly turning the corner, he sets off again. Luckily, the cafe Yuna wanted to meet at is only 10 minutes away and he's not the fastest sprinter in his class for nothing. The August afternoon heat beats down on him and he's sweating slightly once he finally makes it there with 2 minutes to spare.

Entering the cafe, he's relieved to be engulfed by its blissful, cool air conditioning. He glances around at the various tables, wondering if she's here already. The cafe is decorated cutely, with obvious mango-themed details. All of the chairs are shades of orange and there's even a mango-shaped sofa in the back, making him feel a little like Alice wandering into the Mad Hatter's tea party.

A hostess spots him, and walks over. "Welcome! Do you want to order to-go or be seated sir?"

"Uh... a table please?" he replies, startled. 

"Great! Follow me." 

She brings him to a somewhat secluded booth in the back, and asks, "Will anyone be joining you?" 

Stuttering, and hoping his face isn't too red, he manages to say, "Y..Yes."

"Then I'll leave you two menus."

Jungkook nods wordlessly and takes out his phone to check if he's missed any messages from Yuna. Just as he glances up, he spots the long-haired girl in question striding over to him quickly. He's suddenly glad he sprinted and got here first as he now has the chance to appreciate her as she walks over. She looks anxious but happy, and seems to almost personify sunshine as she grins when they make eye contact. She's wearing her requisite shorts and a simple pink and green shirt. He's glad that like him, she hadn't bothered to get too dressed up.

"Jungkook! Sorry, I'm a little late." she says, slightly breathless as she sits down.

He shakes his head and teasingly shows her his watch. "I think I should get an extra scoop of ice cream for each minute you were late."

She gasps, "When did you get here?"

He sighs dramatically, using all of his acting chops. "I was getting worried..."

She's immediately contrite, and is about to try to make amends when the hostess returns. "Oh, I'm glad your friend showed up so quickly sir. Would you two like some water while you look at the menu?"

Jungkook winces, and has to bite his lower lip to stop from laughing out loud. The hostess' bad timing was almost comedic. He nods his head affirmative, and noticeably avoids meeting Yuna's glare. Once the hostess leaves, he feels a sudden punch to his shoulder, making him jump.

"Ow! What was that for?"

The girl in front of him crosses her arms and arches one shapely eyebrow. "You were getting worried, were you?"

He leans forward and winks at her. "Sweetheart, every second without you feels like an eternity."

She reponds by wrinkling her nose in disgust. "Ugh. That line was so cheesy I can smell it from here."

They both end up laughing and any initial awkwardness is completely dispelled. 

Looking down at his menu, Jungkook notices something white on Yuna's arm and wonders how he didn't see it until now,

"Hey, what happened?" he asks her, motioning towards her arm.

At this, Yuna looks up and lets out an embarrassed chuckle. "Oh this? I injured my hand a week ago. It's really nothing serious."

She's clearly trying to hide it from him, but Jungkook's too concerned to let it go and leans forward to inspect it. He tugs her injured hand up, letting their fingers brush as he gently rests it on the table. "Did you break it? You've got a cast and everything."

Avoiding his gaze, she nods and adds, "It's getting better. Don't worry."

"How did this happen?" 

"Uhh ... haha ... long story?"

Now he's really worried. Did someone bully her? Maybe those creeps from the rink came back?

"Who did this to you? Tell me." he insists, wishing he had been there for her.

If possible, Yuna looks even more embarrased. Seeing that Jungkook was going to be stubborn about it, she relents, but hides behind her curtain of long dark hair as she tells him. 

"It was too cold in my room one night, so I got up to turn off the air conditioner... and I fell and broke my hand."

He stares at her blankly. He's pretty sure if he was a manga character, a sweat drop would have appeared near his temples right now. Here he was thinking the worst and it turns out she's just... clumsy!

"Aigoo. This clumsy kid." he chuckles, finally relaxing. He nudges her downcast head slightly with his knuckles, gently berrating her.

She glares at him, pouting slightly. "Hey, who are you calling a kid? Last time I checked, we were the same age."

"Nuh-uh. Clumsy people like you need to be treated like little kids." he teases her, grinning when he sees her cheeks flush in anger. 

She's about to retort when the hostess returns and asks if they are ready to order. 

As calmly as possible, she asks for a mango latte, while Jungkook orders a sorbet. 

"You sure you don't need a sippy cup?" he asks, once the hostess is gone again.

"Jeon Jungkook! If my hand wasn't broken, I swear I'd -"

Laughing, he realizes he's probably pushed her buttons a little too much. But it was so much fun to see her get riled up. Is it weird that he thinks her angry face with her red cheeks and nostrils flairing looks pretty damn cute?

"Ok ok, sorry. I'll stop. I swear." He holds up his hands in pacification.

She eyes him suspiciously and huffs, before gulping down some water.

To distract her, he says, "You know, you remind me of Namjoon hyung, the owner of the skating rink."

"Really? How?" 

"He's realllly clumsy. Like, probably 10x worse than you. Our friends always say we can't let him drive or cook for the sake of world peace."

Yuna smiles, despite her earlier outrage. "I'm flattered I guess?"

"Namjoon hyung is a great guy though. He's always looked out for me."

"How long have you known him?"

"Since middle school. I was just getting into dancing, so I went to watch a competition. He was there supporting one his friends."

"So does he dance too?"

"Hah! Not professionally." Jungkook grins, thinking of what Namjoon considers "hot moves". "Let's just say he feels the music in a very unique way."

Yuna nods, understanding his meaning. "I have an unnie who's just like that. She has absolutely no inhibitions when she dances. I think her best one is her chicken dance."

He laughs and says, "We should get everyone together and have a dance battle."

"Oh god, that would be hilarous. We really should."

They soon got their order, and spent the rest of the afternoon in easy conversation. Even when her latte was empty and his sorbet long gone, they didn't notice until the sky had gotten dark, and city's neon lights began twinkling on. 

It was Yuna who got a text from her mom first. "Oh, my mom says I need to get home soon."  

Jungkook nods, and stands so they can leave together. "Do you live nearby?"

She shakes her head. "Not that close, I need to take the bus."

"Let me take you home then. It's already dark."

"What about you though? Don't you need to get home?"

He shrugs, "My mom usually figures I'm at Taehyung's house if I don't get back in time for dinner. He's my next door neighboor."

She still looks uncertain though, so he offers to walk her to the bus stop instead. Having reached an agreement, they leave the cafe and stroll down the street.

Jungkook wonders if Yuna had a good time, and chances a glance at her as they walk side-by-side. The summer wind rustles through her hair, causing the strands to dance as they frame her face. He's sorely tempted to brush one behind her ear, but holds back, not wanting her to think it's cliche.

Just as he's pondering these thoughts, Yuna notices his attention on her and smiles. 

"This was fun, Jungkook. We should do it again sometime."

"Yeah, that sounds good."

Without him realizing it, they've reached the bus stop and Yuna's checking the times for the next bus already.

He taps her on the shoulder and once she turns to face him, asks, "You coming back to the rink soon?"

"Hah, did you miss me then?" she asks, teasingly.

"Well, your yellow helmet certainly stood out." he says, side-stepping her question. But yes, he had missed her.

"To tell you the truth, I really wanted to last week, but my mom's been super over-protective and saying I should stay home until my hand gets better." she says, a little sadly. "I had to convince her for hours to let me go out today."

Ah, so that explains why he hasn't seen or heard from her. At least she wasn't deliberately avoiding him.

"Why don't you just come by? You don't have to skate."

She tilts her head, wondering what he means. "What will I do then?"

"Keep me company." he says, softly. 

Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say - he chants in his head, although he remains outwardly calm.

"Okay." she says, after a moment. Her lips curve upwards slightly, and his own lips are about ready to burst into a grin.

Just then, the bus she's waiting for arrives and rumbles to a stop next to them. She takes a hasty look behind her, and then gives him a little wave.

"I'll text you when I'll be stopping by," she says.

Before she can leave, he grabs her hand and pulls her closer.

As she looks up at him through her bangs, he thinks that maybe he would try to kiss her if they had more time. But that would have to wait.

"Don't forget, ok?" he tells her.

She nods and gives his hand a brief squeeze before running to her bus. He watches as she gets on and waves at him before it pulls away.

He turns and heads back to his own house, in no hurry, and happy to just let his mind wander as his feet guided themselves home.

He's gonna see her again, hopefully soon.