Six

Love on Ice

"You know, irrational confidence can be considered a mortal downfall."

"Tsk tsk, such serious words. Are you that worried I'll win this bet Jungkook?"

"Just don't say I didn't warn you." 

He looks at her and has to hide a chuckle when he notes her self-assured stance with her hockey stick balanced slightly askew over one shoulder. After the public session concluded, he had borrowed a shorter stick for her from the rink's equipment store and grabbed his own from the locker room. Although the ice was still a mess because he hadn't gotten around to cleaning it with the zamboni, at least it was private, alllowing them to set up a hockey net at one end.

"Ok, first things first young grasshopper."

Yuna rolls her eyes at his chosen name for her and motions for him to get on with it.

"You're probably gonna want to put that on the ice," he says pointing to her stick. After she does so he continues, "So it looks like you're right handed, which means you want to shoot with your left hand."

"Hm really? That's counterintuitive," she remarks.

"Yeah, it's weird but it does make sense. Basically, you want your dominant hand to lead you. So put your right hand at the top of your stick and your left hand about halfway down."

Yuna adjusts her hands slightly and looks at Jungkook for approval.

"Good. Now, you need to generate speed and power. Use your legs to push forwards, and put most of your weight on your front leg."

At this, she looks confused, so he demonstrates by bending forwards and pointing to his left thigh.

"See? I'm putting my weight on this leg so I can propel forwards." he explains. Yuna nods and copies him.

"Ok, this part will go fast, so it might be hard see. I'm going to shoot, bending my stick to launch the puck forwards and then follow through with the aim. Ready?" he asks, not able to help the excitement creeping into his voice.

"Got it Coach," she says, opening her eyes wide, as if indicating she won't be missing anything.

"What a dork," he thinks, laughing internally at her expression.

Still amused by her, he whips the puck into the air, reveling in how the tension in his body is instantly released. The little black object whizzes through the air before landing with a soft kerplunk into the bottom of the net. 

"WOOHOO!" Jungkook whoops, pumping his fists in the air. "Lastly, the most important part - the celebration." he tells her, with a grin. He points his fist out at her.

Yuna had covered her ears, completely startled by his loud yell. She calms down though and giggles as they bump fists. 

"So that's your standard celebration?"

"Well, if that was say, a game-winning shot, the fist pump plus going down on one knee would be more appropriate," he tells her offhandly, clearly indicating that he's had his fair share of game-winning shots.

"Pfft, right. Very important." she laughs.

He shakes his head, "But don't get ahead of yourself. You need to actually score first. Still think you can do this?"

She flips her long hair over one shoulder and gives him a confident look. "Of course."

Jungkook shrugs. "Ok, let's see it."  

Yuna steadies herself, lining up next to the puck and bending her knees. She bites her bottom lip in concentration as she looks at the goal, which Jungkook finds pretty cute, but doesn't vocalize.

She pulls her stick back, wobbles a bit on one leg, before sweeping the puck along the ice. It doesn't quite take off, but does go towards the net for a glorious five feet before stopping short.

Jungkook nods, honestly surprised she even made contact.

"Not bad, rookie. Not bad." he says as he skates over and retrieves her puck. "So you need to have a stronger stance. Here, do this - "

He crouches down and bounces a little on his legs. She follows suit until he says, "Now, lean until the weight is basically transferred to your standing leg."

Yuna attempts this but looks like she's about to fall over.

"Woah, steady there." he says, noticing her difficulties. "Here hold my hand."

Maybe it was her self-preservation instinct kicking in, but she didn't argue or even look surprised, just grabbed his hand like it was a lifeline. 

Jungkook gulps, mouth suddenly dry. Her hand feels small, delicate and cold in his. He squeezes it gently, wanting to reassure her. Since her other hand still held her hockey stick, she was awkwardly holding herself with both arms out in a crouched position. He decides to try a different method.

While still holding her hand, he skates around behind her and guides her hand back to her stick, unintentionally back hugging her. With their close proximity, he can smell her shampoo, which is a sweet, innocent citrus and vanilla scent. She seems as tense as he is now, her dainty, slim shoulders rising slightly and her posture stiff. 

"Uh...yeah, take the stick back slightly and then ...uh, push off from your other leg." he says, his voice a little thick. Crap. He hadn't meant for this to become so...heated.

Since her hair is down, he can't see her face at all, but she nods and does as he says. 

"Ok, I'm going to let go now. Make sure to aim your shot by following through with the stick."

Almost relunctantly, he let's his fingers slip away from hers and pulls back a few feet to give her room. He watches as she relaxes slightly before launching into her second swing. She's really going for it this time and throws all the strength she can muster into the swing. 

Thwack! The stick makes a wicked snapping sound as it makes contact with the puck.

After a long silence, Yuna turns to Jungkook with a very guilty look on her face. He stares at the object lying in her hands in shock.    

"..."

"..."

"Did you just... break the stick?"

She skates over to him helplessly, and holds out the hockey stick, which has snapped into two. 

"Sorry Coach," she mumbles, looking down so her bangs are hiding her eyes. She reminds him of a little kid who just broke her parents' expensive vase and is waiting to be punished.

"Pfftt, hahahaha." he laughs, not being able to hold it in any longer. She looks up, surprised, but upon seeing his nonstop laughter, glares grumpily. 

"Yah, what kind of coach are you?!" she yells, jabbing the broken stick at his chest. 

He grins, containing his chuckles momentarily. "An amused one?" he says as he parries the object away.

"How did this happen?" she mumbles, plopping her on the ice in defeat.

He squats down so they're eye level. "It's cuz you, with your crazily-inordinate amount of strength, decided to execute a slap shot instead of a wrist shot."

At this, she blinks at him as she tries to comprehend.

Jungkook explains, "When you go in at that angle and scrap your stick on the ice, your stick can't take that much pressure, so it snaps. It happens in a lot of games actually, so don't feel too bad."

She nods. "So I guess I should pay you for this."

"Yup. C'mon, let's go to the store so you can settle your debts." he offers her a hand up, which she accepts without hesitation.

After they leave the store, he nudges her shoulder with his.

"Don't forget, you owe me an ice cream."

She pouts a little. "I'm going to go broke at this rate."

"It doesn't have to be today." He grabs her hand again, before his courage runs out.

"Here's my number. Call me when you're free." He says as he scribbles his digits on her hand with the permanent marker he had just knicked from the cashier. 

She stares wide-eyed at her hand, which is now covered in black sharpie. 

Before she can get a word in, he gives her a cheerful grin and ruffles her hair messily. "Sorry, gotta go talk with Namjoon hyung. Seeya around, Yuna."

With that, he runs off, hoping she hasn't noticed his burning cheeks.

He might be imagining it, but she didn't seem too upset at him for once.