Five

Love on Ice

Jungkook didn't see Yuna again at the rink for a few days. Not that he was keeping track or anything. 

He was starting to wonder if she had actually gotten scared away by those creeps, when one afternoon, he spies a familiar yellow helmet in the crowd of skaters getting ready to get on the ice.

Since it's a Friday, the crowd is larger than usual and he's not able to get a word in as everyone scrambles onto the ice. Jungkook ushers them along, trying to work his way over to her. But right before he reaches her, she glides away on her skates.  

He blinks, surprised. When did she become so competent? Curious, he watches as she executes a few crossovers as she smoothly around the rink. He starts to follow her, mirroring her moves. He's so focused on her, he almost skates in between a young couple holding hands. 

"Sorry! My mistake!" he quickly apologizes. They assure him it's fine, but by the time he turns back around, Yuna is on the other side of the rink. Again, he skates towards her only for her to move just out of reach. "Is she avoiding me?" he wonders, slightly frustrated.

After 15 minutes of following her around with no success, he's almost certain she's doing it on purpose. Well, if she really wants to play this game of cat and mouse, he'll have to show her how its done.

She's currently skating near the sidelines of the rink, but when she sees him, she makes a beeline for one of the ends. Nimbly, Jungkook changes directions as well so he ends up in front of her. He's technically breaking the rules since you're only allowed to skate in one direction around the rink, but that's one of the perks that comes with being on the staff. 

Yuna doesn't see him until it's too late, and he finds her shocked face hilarious when they finally make eye contact.

"Miss me, Yuna?" he smirks, skating up to her.

She narrows her eyes at him slightly, and then glides by him, brushing her shoulder against his. "Not a chance, Jeon."

These cold words don't deter him. He skates next to her and puts his hand over his chest, acting wounded, "Are you literally giving me the cold shoulder right now?"

His heart's not ready for when she suddenly turns and sticks her tongue out at him, making a cute merong face.  "Of course. You deserve it."

"What!"

"Think carefully, Jeon Jungkook and I'm sure you'll realize your mistake." she says, with a solemn face. 

He scratches his neck thoughtfully and then returns her look with a blank stare.

Yuna sighs loudly. "Typical."

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nope, not gonna tell you."

"Yunnnaaaa, tell me." he groans, tugging on the sleeve of her sweater.

She shakes her head, but the corners of twitch upwards, giving her away.

Jungkook notices and prods. "C'mon, you clearly want to tell me."

She keeps shaking her head and tries to skate away again. He quickly chases her down and skates backwards in order to face her. He tries to look imposing, causing her to laugh as she pushes him away. 

He repeats this action, making a goofy face at her this time. He's too busy looking for her laugh that he catches his blade on a rough patch of ice and goes down in a heap.

She bursts into laughter this time and has to grab her sides in her mirth. He mock-glares at her from his sitting position on the ice. 

"You're ruining my credibility here, Yuna. I'm supposed to help people up, not the other way around."

She snorts, rather un-ladylike. "Don't think you had that much to begin with, Jungkook." She doesn't bother to help him up, but instead waves at him cutely as she skates by. "Ha! I finally get the last word."

He's incredulous. "Is that what you were mad about?!" 

She just gives him the peace sign as she skates away. He scrambles to his feet and shakes his head.

This girl may actually be the death of him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little while later, the two take a break at the cafe, grabbing some hot chocolate again. Jungkook finally assesses what Yuna is wearing with disapproval. Today's outfit consisted of a loose black sweater, and black shorts, of course.

"Look, you're going about this all wrong." He comments, motioning towards her clothing. "This is definitely not proper skating attire." 

She gives him a genuinely perplexed look. "But I'm already wearing a helmet."

"Try again."

"I have these plastic skate guards too."

She lifts one boot-covered foot up for him to inspect.

"And?"

"And...I have my lucky smiley face emoticon socks on?"

"I'm seriously wondering if you've ever been in front of a mirror that goes below your waist."

Yuna looks at him, innocently. "Of course I have. I don't get dressed in the dark."

Jungkook resists the urge to smack his hand against his forehead.

"Nevermind, what you're wearing is perfect." 

He would just have to deal with those legs of hers being on display. 

"Oh, that's right, I meant to give you this." she says, ping her bag. She hands him back his hockey jersey she borrowed from last time, carefully washed and folded.

"Oh yeah, thanks. I forgot about it." 

"So were you practicing one-on-one last time? With your friend?"

He nods affirmative. "Yeah, Jimin hyung sometimes stops by when he gets a chance. We used to be on a recreational team together in middle school, but we had to quit since we didn't have time once we started high school."

"So who's better?" she asks, with a teasing look.

He smirks and puffs his chest out slightly, "Of course, yours truly. Jimin is probably the faster skater, but I've got the sick wrist shot."

Yuna laughs, "Of course. But how hard is a wrist shot? Is it what, 90% confidence, 10% skill?"

He scoffs, "I'll have you know my wrist shot takes 70% skill, 25% talent... and 5% confidence."

"Hmm, I bet I could do it." she says without batting an eyelash.

He gives her an unsure look. "Not that I want to burst your bubble, but it's not really for beginners."

"Huh, I think you're just afraid of a challenge, Jeon."

 "What, from a newbie like you?"

She ignores his question. "How about it? You teach me the wrist shot, and if I get it in 3 tries - you treat me to ice cream."

He can't believe she's serious.

"And what do I get when you don't pull it off?"

"If I don't pull it off, I'll treat you to ice cream. Or whatever you want."

He chuckles. "Sure. You know what, if you get it in 3 tries I'll treat you to 100 ice creams."

She smiles, pleased. "Deal."