Seven

Love on Ice

Swoosh. Thump. Click... Sigh.

 

Swoosh. Thump. Click... Sigh.

 

Swoosh. Thump. Click... Sigh.

 

Swoosh. Thump. Cli - "Hey! Tae give that back!" Jungkook exclaims.

"Tae", or Kim Taehyung as he's known to most, gives no indication he heard him. He pets the cell phone in his hand as if it's a small abandoned puppy. 

"There there, I've saved you. Not to worry little Apple." Turning to his friend, Taehyung asks in complete seriousness,

"Why the heck are you threatening your poor cell phone's life, Jeon? You know your dad's gonna kill you if you shatter another screen."

Jungkook chooses not to comment on his eccentric friend's actions. "I'm bored out of my mind I guess? Anyways, give that back." he lunges for his iPhone, but Taehyung is too quick for him and dodges out of the way.

Catching on to Jungkook's anxiety to get his phone back, Taehyung concludes there must be something interesting on this phone.

"Ohhh bored, eh? Seems like you've been checking your messages a lot though..." Taehyung holds the phone up, slightly out of Jungkook's reach as he tries to read his friend's history.

Jungkook tries to twist around him only to get a shove in the back as Taehyung avoids him again, jumping to stand on a chair.

"TAEHYUNG! Seriously!"

Taehyung's moved on to his photo gallery now, with wide-eyed interest. Scrolling rapidly since he knows Jungkook is about 2 seconds from tackling his to the ground and giving him a beat down, he gasps when he catches a glimpse of long dark hair, "Yah! I knew it! Jeon Jungkook, you got a gwirlfriin!!!"

His last words are muffled as Jungkook has grabbed him around the middle and thrown him to the floor. The two boys had been idling the afternoon away in Jungkook's house. They were supposedly working on their summer homework in Jungkook's room, but this task had long ago been abandoned in favor of playing games on their cell phones. At least, that was what Taehyung had been doing until he noticed Jungkook's endless sighing. 

Holding his hand over Taehyung's mouth, Jungkook sends him a glare. "Don't broadcast that! You know my mom's gonna flip if she thinks I have a girlfriend."

Taehyung tries to wriggle free, but Jungkook's got him pinned down. They roll around on the ground a few times, but Jungkook clearly has the upper hand in terms of strength and outmaneuvers his friend easily. 

"Mmff leph ee goooo."

"Only if you promise to keep it down."

"Pwomish."

Taehyung holds his hands up, indicating his surrender. Satisfied, Jungkook sits up and grabs his phone back.

In an over-dramatized stage whisper, Taehyung leans over and says, "But who was that girl?"

"Nobody."

"Pfft. Uh huh. A nobody whose existence you are clearly hiding."

"I am not hiding anything!"

"Rightttt... just like I'm not hiding the fact that there are bunny rabbits on the moon."

Jungkook stares at his friend blankly. Taehyung just stares back.

A few seconds of silence pass before Jungkook ventures to ask, "I didn't hit you too hard just now, did I?"

"I'm sharing with you a secret of the universe and this is how you treat me!" Taehyung crosses his arms and huffs.

This strange declaration is actually fairly typical of Taehyung. Jungkook's known him since they were five, given that they are next door neighbors and their moms shared everything. At this point, it was hard to tell who's clothes belonged to who first. Taehyung has always had an interest in science fiction and generally believes everything he reads. Jungkook's learned to just go with the flow and not  argue too much. Since his friend now looks genuinely hurt, he can only relent. He nudges his shoulder, but Taehyung turns his back to him.

"Hey, I'm sorry, ok?"

"Nooope. Don't believe you."

"What do you want then? Anything within reason."

Taehyung suddenly turns around, his eyes lighting up, which makes Jungkook doubt how upset he'd really been. "Tell me who she is!"

"Ughhhh. I knew it! You're a terrible actor Tae."

"Clearly I'm not, since you were so easily fooled."

"She's not important, ok?"

Taehyung doesn't look convinvced. "You were waiting for her to message you, weren't you?"

All he gets is a nonchalant shrung, but Taehyung knows he's hit the nail on the head.

"Aha! Ok, give it up Jeon. What's her name?"

Jungkook sighs, knowing it would be easier to just give in at this point. He could never keep anything from Taehyung anyways.

"...Yuna. Choi Yuna."

"Age?"

"Same as us."

"School?"

"Hanlim"

"Best physical feature?"

Jungkook's cheeks redden slightly, his mind conjuring up his memory of her from the last time they met at the rink. That crazy girl had of course been wearing shorts again. Even if it was summer, she should have put something more appropriate on - 

"Hey! Stop spacing out!" Taehyung snaps his fingers in front of his face.

Jungkook jumps. "Oh... um, her hair?" he finally answers.

Taehyung smirks knowingly, but mercifully doesn't comment.

"Favorite color?"

"No idea. Probably black."

"Goal in life?"

"How the hell would I know that?"

Taehyung smacks Jungkook with a pillow from his bed.

"These are important questions for your future wife!"

"We're not even dating yet!"

"Yet! Ohhh so you haven't asked her yet?"

"Not really. We're supposed to grab ice cream...but we didn't agree on a time."

"Hm. Seems like an obvious flaw in your plans."

"Gee thanks Sherlock." Jungkook glowers a little at his friend. "I was trying to be a gentleman and let her decide."

"Wait a sec - how did you two meet again?"

So Jungkook obligingly recounts the whole story. Boy runs into Girl. Girl runs into Boy. Boy paints a wall and Girl somehow gets covered in paint. Boy lends Girl his hockey jersey. Girl gets accosted by some seedy lowlifes, so Boy rescues Girl, et cetera. 

Taehyung gasps at all of the right moments and looks thoroughly entertained. "So where's that photo from on your phone? The ice rink?"

Jungkook hesitates a second, before mumbling, "I may have uh... found it on Facebook."

Taehyung makes a choking noise in shock. "What?! You Facebook stalked her? You? Mr. I've been asked out by a girl every week of the school year since 6th grade???"

"It's not every week."

"You want me to list them all? Where do I start, last one was Chaeyoung wasn't it? Then there was Lisa, Sooyoung, Soojung -"

"Ok, ok I get the point." Jungkook winces slightly at the memory of those girls' teary eyes when he had to gently disappoint them. It wasn't that he was cold-hearted, but he had already promised himself he was going to focus on music and dance and get that dream scholarship to college. His friends always that he was scared of them, but in reality, girls just weren't part of the equation ... until she slipped into his life that summer.

Taehyung shakes his head. "I never thought I'd see the day... so what's your next move Romeo?"

Jungkook sighs and runs a hand through his hair in frustration. "I have no idea, it's not like I have any experience with this stuff."

Taehyung nods in agreement. "Hmmm this is tricky since you don't have her number. She hasn't showed up at the rink again?"

"No... It's been over a week. She usually goes every couple days."

Jungkook falls silent, wondering if her absence is because he scared her away.

"I know!" Taehyung jumps up. "Why don't you friend her on Facebook?"

"Doesn't that seem a little...desperate?"

"Psh. You've already gone and downloaded her profile pic, can't get any more desperate than that."

"Yah! Not helping Tae!" With a growl, Jungkook launches another tackle at his friend. The two are so busy roughhousing that they don't notice Jungkook's phone ringing at first.

It's Taehyung who finally points to phone, gasping for breath, "Hey, it's an unknown number."

Jungkook's eyes widen, and he abruptly drops Taehyung on the ground. Ignoring his friend's yelp and subsequent curse, he grabs his phone and hurriedly answers.

"Hello?" He pants slightly.

"... Oh uh hello! Jungkook?"

"Yuna?"

"Did I catch you at a bad time? You seem a little out of breath."

"No!" He exclaims, a little too loudly. "Right now is fine."

"Oh ok great. Umm... So how do you feel about mango?"

"Mango?" He echoes, confused.

"Yes. Mango. Positive feelings?"

Where was she going with this, he wonders. He hasn't heard from her in over a week, and the first thing she does is ask him about ... mango. He can almost imagine her staring him down with her no-nonsense look, and has to hold back a grin.

"I would say it's pretty high on my list of edible fruit."

"A list huh? That's very efficient of you."

"I have priorities in life, and one of them is definitely eating."

She snorts, laughing at his explanation. "Well, I commend you. Human evolution certainly has come far."

"Hey, you did ask."

"True, I did. Well, since it sounds like you have no objections, I'm proposing we meet at Mango Mango cafe. Have you heard of it?"

"No, but it sounds delicious." Jungkook replies, while giving Taehyung a shove. During their conversation, his friend had slyly inched forwards, until his own ear was practically pressed against the phone.

"Yes! It is. It's a chain from Taiwan. But like 90% of their menu is mango. So you see why I had to confirm with you first."

"Very thoughtful of you." He smiles. It turns out talking to her on the phone was easier than he expected.

"Is Tuesday ok for you?"

"Sure. I get off work at 4, so how about 5 pm?"

"Yup, 5 pm is good for me. I'll be there with my wallet."

"I won't put too much of a dent." He assures her.

She chuckles. "I'll play it safe though, since you seem like an expert with your lists and everything. Ok, so I'll see you then?"

He doesn't really want to let her go yet, but Taehyung's still sitting there, evesdropping for all he's worth.

"Yeah, sounds good."

With that, they hang up. Jungkook barely had time to put his phone down before Taehyung starts shaking his shoulders in excitement.

"Kookie! My little Jungkookie, you got your first date!!!" Taehyung teasingly squishes Jungkook's cheeks.

"Gwish ofsh meee!"

Sighing dramatically, Taehyung lets go and pretends to wipe a year from his eye. "You're all grown up now."

Jungkook just rolls his eyes and focuses on saving Yuna's number.