Can You Keep A Secret?

Opposites Don't Always Attract

 

After several pumps of blood, MaeRin was finally capable of opening her eyes.

Miro almost jumped out of the bed when she heard a small groan next to her. “Mae! You’re awake!”

MaeRin blinked the sleep away from her eyes repeatedly. She gazed around the room. Her eyes froze as they caught the eyes of her beloved sister, affixed to the same bag of blood as she was.  She was too tired to be surprised.

“Miro,” MaeRin muttered.

“Mae,” Miro began, “you’re at the hospital. Seunghyun attacked you again, but the doctor said the baby and you will be okay, although, the baby might experience—“

 “Miro,” she said sternly, MaeRin’s small eyes broadening at the sound of her husband’s name, “Please, you can’t tell.”

The words practically spiked Miro’s ears. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “What?”

“Don’t tell the doctors what happened. Just say I fell from the stairs or something. If the doctors know then he will know.”

“Again? Again you tell me to keep this a secret again?!”

A trajedy as serious as this happened once before in Mae and Seunghyun’s life, and once again, Miro was magically there to the rescue without hesitation or a cue. Miro may be younger than MaeRin, but that didn’t make her more afraid of MaeRin’s husband then Mae was—in fact, Miro wasn’t afraid of him at all. Miro charged at him with a broken bottle of Sake due to the accident that occurred after Miro’s best friend ended up in the hospital from a bad fight. Miro was fed up that day, so she went to her sister’s house since MaeRin always had the answers to everything. When she arrived, the door was ajar, and she could here the muffled screams of her sister inside. She discreetly peeked in and before her was MaeRin being brutally whipped with a long black belt wielded by Seunghyun. Broken glass had surrounded them. It was too much for her to bear that day, so Miro took the broken bottle and lunged it at her brother-in-law right in the chest. The white t-shirt he was wearing was tainted with red stains. Pissed, he was speechless, but wasn’t soundless. He ran out the house clutching his chest and groaning inside his mouth, trying to deafen his noise.

Miro had knelt down and examined her sister. He lifted her shirt to reveal the track of blood and bruises on her back underneath. Her eyes widened at the site. She gasped and covered with her hands to prevent herself from screaming.

She put her hands down and had managed to say, “M-m-m-MaeRin…you’re bleeding.”

“Ah, I know,” replied MaeRin, who had ceased her cries and replaced them with trembling breaths. “Why are you here?”

“I had a bad day and needed to talk, but it looks like your situation is a lot worse. We have to get you to a hospital. You’ll tell me what happened in the car.” She grabbed her sister’s arm and hauled it over her shoulder and straightened out her legs, making MaeRin do the same. “And we need to press charges on that idiotic husband of yours. I hate to boast, but I warned you against him, and you know—“

“Dongsaeng, please,” she looked up gently into her sister’s eyes and whispered in that same gentle angelic voice,

“please don’t tell.”

 

 

“Well, I’m still telling!” Miro continued. “You’re obviously delusional, unnie, but your blood will be recovered in no time!”

“Gong Miro!” MinRae’s voice was severely chocked with her anticipation of tears. She her side to fully face her sister. “I’m not delusional, so please, please don’t tell.”

Miro, once again was astounded by her unnie’s request. Her face froze up in shock as she spoke. “Wow, Umma, I can’t believe how stupid you are.”

“Miro, watch your--“

“ANIYO!” Miro was on the verge of tears. “How could you be so slow?! He’s abused you more than once, and you’re still with him! Now, you’re in a delicate condition with his baby, and he’s still beating you, and you haven’t said anything. ARE YOU MAD?!” Miro continued to lecture and switched to Korean when she ran out of insulting English words. MaeRin lied there and gaped.

Finally, Miro’s breakdown had come to an end.

“Are you finished?” MinRae said politely.

Miro eyed her furiously, but didn’t reply.

MinRae shifted in the bed, staring straight up to the white ceiling. “I’ll take that as a yes. So then, it’s settled. You won’t tell.”

“UNNIE--”

MinRae shot a quick vicious glance at her sister.“Miro! It’s settled. You will not tell!”

 

 

It's more of a flashback chapter , but how was it? Boring, I know,  but drama is only around the corner. Thanks for reading.

Oh and for the title of this chapter--I was listening to lots of Utada Hikaru today sooo yeah ^^.

IF YOU LIKE UTADA, SUBSCRIBE AND/OR COMMENT.

and if you don't subscribe and/or comment ANYWAYS!!!!!!