Back To Reality

The Best of Both Worlds

BACK TO REALITY

Ravi had perhaps walked five whole rounds around town.

He had passed by florists, bakeries, banks, restaurants and several bookstores, but nevertheless could not find the one he was looking for.

His legs ached from his relentless marching, and his stomach grew cold from the helplessness that increasingly built up from within.

What is this ery, he cursed. It seems to have vanished into thin air. And I seem to be going in circles.

He finally stopped in front of a pawnshop – walking past it for the third time that day – and ruffled his hair in absolute despair. He threw himself against a wall and bent down to catch his breath.

He eyed the book in his hands. This can’t be it, he muttered. He flipped through the book for what seemed like the hundredth time, refusing to believe that its contents revealed not a single clue to the story’s origins.

“Where is it, where is it…WHERE IS IT?” he yelled, hurling the book across the pavement. “Where is that ing bookstore?”

He fell silent in deep thought. Who or what exactly was Margaret? What motives had she harboured when selling me this darned book?

He recalled how she had known his name even when he had not mentioned it; how she had insisted on getting him to purchase the book; and how all the other books in the store had seemed to be identical to the one that now laid stationary a few metres from his feet.

He took a few quick glances around again, but only saw the same few shops. It seemed as if the bookstore never truly existed.

It was all just…meant for me, wasn’t it? 

He stared at the book. It seemed to emanate eeriness from its yellowed pages.

Whoever wrote that book, he thought, is ing sick in the mind. He gritted his teeth and tightened his fingers around themselves.

“You’re all deities, aren’t you??” he screamed into the air, ignoring the stares that he soon attracted. “You think you can ing dictate my life with a single book? And come into my life and leave as you please? Or create stupid 'karma' laws to screw us mortals all over??"

“Why don’t you show yourself, old lady?!” he demanded. He spun around, glancing briefly in all directions, his eyes lit with fury.

“So what’s the meaning of this?? What’s the meaning of this darned story? To convince me to let go of my past with Jung Leo who in actual fact had never once forgotten about us?”

He was met with silence. It all seemed familiar – it reminded him of how She often waited in frustration for the Wise One to appear whenever she was utterly confused about everything that was happening around her. 

Enough of that book, he thought, closing his eyes and shaking his head.

A few minutes passed, and the crowd around him expanded. He heard murmurs and whispers and felt the weight of many eyes on him.

They must think I’m crazy, he scoffed inwardly. Maybe I really am.

He bit his lip and bent down to pick up the book. If the creators of that cursed story were not helping him, he knew he had someone else more important to look for.

He pushed through the crowd and headed for his parked vehicle. Why are gods and deities even so worthy of our worship? he scoffed. These mighty beings don't even give a damn about the prayers of a distressed soul.

He slammed the door closed and buckled his seatbelt, driving off in the direction of the airport – more specifically, the airport café.

“Where are you, Leo?” he mumbled, fighting against the tight feeling in his chest. “I need to hear the truth from you personally...And you can’t hide from me forever.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

“Do you think he’ll- “

“No. I don’t think so.”

Jaehwan frowned and sank back in the couch. “But I’m worried. We don’t even have a clue where he has gone.”

Hyuk shrugged. “I think Ravi just needs time.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” Hongbin muttered for the first time in a while as he laid his head back against the other couch. Jaehwan and Hyuk turned to face him, but he just continued to stare up dazedly at the ceiling. “It’s quite hard to accept truth like this.”

He finally turned his head to look at Hyuk, his eyes boring a hole through the man’s soul. “All this is just a joke, isn’t it? It’s part of a huge prank of yours?”

His voice fell to a soft whisper. “Please just tell me so.”

Hyuk shook his head. “I’d understand if you’re still doubting me until now,” he started. “That’s…that’s why I feel the need to find Leo, no matter what it takes. You’re right – I started all this. And I’ll make sure I’ll get him here to thrash things out once and for all…”

“But I don’t even know how to go about doing this…” he buried his head in his knees. “He doesn’t seem to want to meet any one of us right now.”

Hongbin eyed Hyuk. It was the first time he had seen his roommate in such a vulnerable state.

“Won’t he be mad at you?” Jaehwan asked. “Or maybe he already is…Perhaps, he already knows you revealed everything…”

“To not one but three people,” Hyuk sighed. “Maybe I should have thought through this. But then again, I couldn’t take it any longer,” he glanced at Hongbin and Jaehwan. “You all detested him without even knowing the truth.”

Hongbin stayed silent.

Jaehwan bit his lip. “I’m sorry, okay? I…I don’t even know what to feel about this right now.”

“I would help you look for him if I could,” he continued. “But we only have until tomorrow, Hyuk. We’ve already booked the flight back home…or have you already forgotten?”

Hongbin raised his eyebrows. “You guys are going back soon?”

Jaehwan nodded, but Hyuk shook his head.

“I’m extending my stay, hyung. What’s the point of going back when I’m pretty sure Leo’s not gonna show up at the airport, anyway?” he sighed. “I feel like I need to be accountable for all this mess.”

“I don’t think it’s right to leave now, either,” Jaehwan replied. “But I have things to be accountable for back in Korea, too…”

“Your new show?”

Jaehwan nodded. “My work leave ends tomorrow, Hyuk. I need to get back to work. The new musical’s starting next week. We’re in the midst of the final preparations. I’m not in any mood to be back at work right now, but I can’t let the whole team down. Not without a valid reason, at least.”

Hyuk bit his lip. He knew how Jaehwan’s job concerned more than just a few people – with the show dates already set, he knew it was impossible for Jaehwan not to return to work.

“Back to reality, I guess,” Hongbin said. “I’m sorry to have even pulled you into this out-of-this-world .”

“Yeah. What...what a crazy time I've had,” Jaehwan gave an awkward laugh. “I still can't wrap my head around this..."

"It's even harder for Ravi," he sighed. "And since I really see him as a good friend, it truly saddens me to see what he’s going through right now…promise me, that you’ll both keep me updated even after I’ve left? It’s…the only thing I can do now. I can’t even be there for him. I…I really don’t want to leave at this time, frankly.”

He paused for some thought. “You know what? I think I probably can still extend- “

“I’ll see you back in Korea, hyung,” Hyuk shook his head. “No, seriously. I think it’s best that we return to our normal lives. On the surface, at least.” He looked down at the ground. “All these wouldn’t have happened if not for me…I don’t want that to be the reason you’re being held back right now.”

Hongbin frowned. He put the back of his hand against Hyuk’s forehead. “Has something got into you,” he scoffed. “You’re starting to sound like an entirely different person. Where’s the naïve and innocent stupid spoilt brat?”

“Don’t touch me, Dumbbin. Ew,” Hyuk slapped his hand away from his face and cast him an annoyed look. He turned back to Jaehwan. “I’ll try to keep you updated, hyung. But on your side…remember to keep your mouth shut, too. About what has happened.”

Hongbin nodded. “Have a safe trip home and forget about everything…I guess.”

Jaehwan smiled. He stood up and stretched his body. “Thanks guys…Let’s make the best of things now, then. Get on your feet.”

Hyuk raised his eyebrow. “What?”

“Weren’t you going to look for your Leo hyung?”

“I…I don’t even know where to start,” Hyuk slumped back. “This isn’t Korea, hyung. We’d all get lost even before we find him.”

“Did you forget about me?” Hongbin cut in, rolling his eyes as he got on his feet. “Guess we can’t really split up right now, but at least we have three pairs of eyes on the lookout. Just stay with me and don’t wander off, okay? Anyway, I think we can start looking for that brother of mine first. Before he does anything foolish.”

“Where do you think he’d be?”

Hongbin shrugged. “Most likely at the café. It was their favouri-”

“Your phone’s ringing,” Jaehwan cut him off, pointing at Hongbin’s pocket.

Hongbin reached down in surprise. “I hope it’s Ravi- oh…nevermind.”

“Who’s that?” Hyuk asked as Hongbin ended the call without even picking up.

Hongbin shook his head. “Just a friend.” He motioned for Jaehwan and Hyuk to start leaving the house. He trailed behind them, absentmindedly reaching for his keys as he dropped a message to Hakyeon.

 

To Hakyeon:

Hey I’m busy rn

Will call you back later

 

From Hakyeon:

You seem so busy these days…

What’s wrong?

 

To Hakyeon:

Nothing much. Just having some guests over

 

From Hakyeon:

Ohh okay

Btw, I’ve already wrapped up our project. You can check the folder

I need your help to give the game a test run.

Oh, and get Ravi to try it too. I want an outsider’s opinion ^^

 

To Hakyeon:

Okay

But give us a week, alright?

 

From Hakyeon:

A week’s too long. We need to finish everything soon. The company’s doing an inspection on my computer tomorrow. My head will roll if they find out about our project

 

To Hakyeon:

I’m busy, I told you. Both Ravi and I

 

From Hakyeon:

It’s just maybe half an hour of your time. Please be more considerate.

 

Hongbin felt his blood boil. “I’m not in the mood for games,” he muttered under his breath. “My brother is missing. My best friend isn’t human. I’m so ing vexed.”

Beside him, Hyuk eyed him with puzzled expression.

 

To Hakyeon:

Why can’t you be more considerate of me?

I’m not in the mood to play games

 

From Hakyeon:

Okay, then.

I’m sorry for wasting your time all this while.

Guess I’ll just delete everything off the database before tomorrow.

 

Hongbin clenched his teeth. Whatever, he thought.

“Had a tiff with your girlfriend?” Hyuk prompted as he walked alongside Hongbin, leaving Jaehwan a few metres ahead of them.

“Shut up.”

“Oh.” Hyuk felt his heart sink. “I didn’t know you really had one.”

Hongbin ignored him and began to take bigger strides. “Quicken your steps. There’s a bus to our destination leaving in five.”

“Thought you were driving- “

“Ravi took our car,” Hongbin rolled his eyes. “Public transport it is.”

“Okay, but wait up,” Hyuk chased after him, opening his mouth but hesitating to speak.

“You know…” Hyuk began. “At times like this…you may be troubled, but don’t take it out on her.”

Hongbin eyed him, realising that he was referring to Hakyeon. “Oh? Wise Hyuk strikes again.”

“You gotta be more understanding of those who don’t know what’s going on,” Hyuk said quietly. “Don't be like me."

"Like you?"

"When Leo told me everything, I took it out on you and Jaehwan…on Jaehwan hyung especially…I thought he was being unreasonable, you know, with deciding to wander off on his own without us and all.”

Hongbin raised his eyebrow.

“Now that I think about it, I probably shouldn’t have blamed him for not knowing about Leo’s real identity,” Hyuk mumbled softly, hoping Jaehwan did not hear him. “I was the unreasonable one, not him.”

"Nahhh. I was at fault too!" Jaehwan shouted from the front, not even bothering to turn back. "I didn't think about your feelings...or Leo hyung's. I don't know why I was so selfish. But still, you at whispering, dude."

Hyuk froze for a second. He glanced back at Hongbin. “Umm, so yeah. It’s not the time to sour relationships right now, Dumbbin.”

Hongbin scoffed and shrugged.

“Man up and apologise to her,” Hyuk prompted. “She doesn’t know anything and you can’t blame her for that. It’s not like she means any harm…I mean, you didn’t like it when I used to force you to be more understanding of Leo, did you?”

“That’s different,” Hongbin rolled his eyes, although he knew that Hyuk made sense. “You should have been more persistent. You should have let me know earlier about what my poor best friend was faced with all this time.”

“But,” he slowed his steps, turning to face Hyuk. “You’re right, I guess. I was too harsh just now.” He paused for some thought. “By the way, that dude's not my girlfriend.”

Hyuk blinked. “W-what? So it’s boyfriend?”

“Nahhh,” Hongbin smirked and shook his head. For the first time, it did not hurt to acknowledge that Hakyeon was merely a friend, and he felt a strange sense of liberation.

He turned back to his phone, not noticing that Hyuk begun grinning like an idiot.

 

To Hakyeon:

I’m sorry, Hakyeon

Please don’t delete it

We spent so long on this…

Ravi and I will get around to testing it soon

I can even get my other friend to play it

His name is Hyuk. He’s much better than Ravi at this anyway

 

He bit his lip as he sent the messages. I mean…I don’t even know if I can find Ravi by tonight, he thought worriedly.

 

-----------------------------------------------------