And

Against all odds

“HANI!” LE literally flew through the entrance of the bar to find Hani and right smack at the corner of the bar, she was violently downing shots as though they were just plain water. “희연, 왜 이래 (heeyeon, why are you like this)? What happened to you huh? Do you know how worried I was?” LE grabbed Hani by her wrist to stop her from taking another shot glass. “Ouch... You’re hurting me, LE eonni, let go... Just let me drink and maybe I’ll forget everything for the next few hours...” Hani swept away LE’s hand and reached for another shot glass. “STOP IT, HEEYEON, THIS IS SO NOT YOU! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO YOURSELF?” LE snatched the shot glass over and slammed it on the table, causing the alcohol to spill. “She doesn’t need all these anymore, you may keep everything. I’ll get the bill now, how much is it?” LE pushed the remaining shot glasses towards the bartender and said. “EONNI, WHY ARE YOU TAKING IT AWAY FROM ME.. WHY IS EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING TAKEN AWAY FROM ME... Won’t I ever... get... a .... choice.....” Hani’s voice got softer and softer, until it became a mumble then went all quiet. “Heeyeon?” LE turned over to Hani, only to realised that her silly dongsaeng had fallen asleep. “Maybe sleep is the best way for you to forget everything for now, Heeyeon ah” LE wiped away the drop of tear formed at the corner of Hani’s eye and took out her phone. “It’s me, LE. I need some help right now...” 

 

 

“Sajangnim, I’m sorry”

 

“Sajangnim, I really didn’t do it on purpose...”

 

“Please don’t....”

 

“No!”

 

“It has nothing to do with Donghae oppa!!”

 

“SAJANGNIM!! I CAN EXPLAIN”

 

“SAJANGNIM, IT’S ALL MY FAULT!!!”

 

“I know I am at fault, I will change for the better...”

 

“Please let me stay in EXID...”

 

“Sajangnim!!”

 

“NO, I AM SORRY, PLEASE DON’T HIT ME ANYMORE!!!”

 

“NOOOOOO!!!” Hani screamed as she sat up abruptly from her sleeping position with cold sweat all over her face, palms and feet. “Why...” Hani covered her face as she couldn’t stop crying. It was as thought she could still feel the sting from the slap that it’s starting to take a toll on her. What will happened to her if she’s kicked out of EXID? What will become of her? She couldn’t bear to even think about what are the consequences that will follow...Her head hurts and sitting up immediately upon just waking up isn’t making anything better. She held her forehead in pain and she frowned and leaned her face onto her palms.

 

“Will this make you feel better?” she heard a familiar voice asked. No, it couldn’t be who she thought it is, it just couldn’t be. How?!

 

She remove her hands from her face and looked up. 

 

“OPPA??!??!!” she gasped as her eyes widened from the shock. Seated at the edge of the bed and right beside her is the mighty KIM HEE CHUL. The Kim HeeChul that she loves so dearly but will never ever be able to say it to him personally.

 

“Yea, it’s me” Heechul responded cooly as he held up the towel he offered to her and started to gently wipe away her cold sweat. “Look, i don’t know what happened to you, but I definitely know something not so good happened and we need to talk. We will talk, but not now. Let’s get you cleaned up first” Heechul held up her left hand and started to dab it with the warm towel. “Is this making you feel better?” Heechul asked as he placed the left hand down and brought up her right hand. He continued to gently tap it while Hani is still recovering from her state of shock.

 

“How...”

 

“How did you get here? You can ask LE”

 

“My...”

 

“Your clothes? LE changed it for you”

 

“I’m...”

 

“If it’s about apologising, forget it. You didn’t do anything that you need to be apologising for”

 

“We...”

 

“We will talk later. You definitely need some food first. Look, you’re all skin and bones these days... Wait here” Heechul stood up from the bed and walked out of the room.

 

Hani’s POV

 

My heart has been racing as soon as I heard his voice. It’s beating so quickly and loudly that it feels like it’s going to pop out of my chest any second... Eonni, of all people, why did you had to look for him... We have not talked since our last incident and it’s obvious that I have been avoiding this conversation with him, but now, we have to face the issue and talk it out... talk about being awkward...? Well done, Hani, well done, we’ll just prepare to die of awkwardness in a while...

 

“먹어 (eat)” Heechul came in with a tray of food and placed it onto the study table at the corner of the room. “Why are you not coming? Do you need me to carry you here?” Heechul asked and started walking towards the bed. “NO! I CAN WALK BY MYSELF” Hani hurriedly said as she flipped the blanket to the side and got out of bed. “Take your time to eat, I’ll be in the living room for now. Call for me if you need anything” Heechul bent down and patted Hani on the head before walking out of the room. 

 

 

The two sat side by side in silence for a long, long while on the sofa, with Hani playing with her fingers on her lap and Heechul clearing his throat from time to time. With neither of them talking, it felt like time was so hard to pass.

 

“I...” Heechul and Hani said in unison as they turned and caught themselves staring into each other’s eyes. Hani bowed her head and looked down in embarrassment as she grabbed her knees tightly. 

 

“You grab those knees any harder and they’ll fall to the ground” Heechul said as he moved and shifted closer to Hani. “Did something happened?” Heechul placed his hand on top of Hani and asked in probably the gentlest voice he has ever spoken to her with. “OPPA!!!!” with no warning, Hani burst out crying as she covered her face with her hands. It felt like she had been holding back on everything that has happened over the past few days, with no one to turn to and nowhere to release this frustration. Everything came crashing down with Heechul’s question that she couldn’t help but wanted to pour everything out to him. It felt so at home and at ease with him that she’s willing to put down all her walls for. “걱정하지마 (don’t worry), I’m here for you. Oppa’s shoulder is always ready for you” Heechul pulled Hani into a tight hug, patting her head and her back from time to time as she sobbed on. “괜찮아 (it’s okay)....” he told her every other moment while waiting for her to calm down.