The

Against all odds

(backstage of Knowing Brothers)

“Yah, Heechul, you’ve been staring a lot at your phone lately. What’s up?” Kyunghoon rolled his chair over to Heechul and gently nudged him on the arm with his elbow.

“Oh, it’s nothing, hahaha, I’m just tired! Are we resuming filming soon? I’ll keep it now!” Heechul laughed it off like his usual self and slipped the phone into his side pocket.

“거짓말 (don’t lie), we’ve been friends for so long and I know you’re definitely up to something. Shoot, what happened? Have you got yourself a secret lover? Girlfriend? Boy.....boyfriend?!” Kyunghoon pretended to be in shock as he mentioned the ‘boyfriend’ and rolled away his chair from Heechul. 

“야, 민경훈, 죽을래 (Ya, Min Kyunghoon, do you want to die)?! You really don’t know how much I had to lay low to avoid getting into any scandals that will talk about me being gay again, please, I am absolutely straight! Do you need me to let you check how healthy am I as a straight man?!” Heechul rolled his chair towards Kyunghoon as he playfully unbuckle his belt. 

“Hey hey hey, there’s no need for us to go there right???” Kyunghoon grabbed onto Heechul’s hands to stop him as he gave an awkward laugh. “I wouldn’t have stopped you if you’re a girl, but you’re not, so save it for those who wish to see” Kyunghoon added.

“경훈! 희철! We’re resuming filming now, get ready” Jang Hoon knocked and open the waiting room’s door to signal both of them back to the set. 

“You really don’t want to check it? I can really show it to you!!” Heechul continued teasing while Kyunghoon dragged him by his arm towards the filming set, ignoring whatever he was saying. 

—-

(9:53pm)

—- 

(11pm, Midnight Bar) 

“Hyung, what’s up?” Donghae took a seat beside Heechul who was already sipping his usual glass of Pinot Noir. “Sauvignon Blanc” he looked up to the bartender and requested. Heechul was awfully quiet today and it is unusual of him to behave like this. Donghae immediately knew something was off, but he didn’t want to force it out of the other man, so he thought he’ll let it flow out by itself later on. “I don’t think you asked me here just to watch you drink and drink with you...” Donghae took a sip of his drink and turned to face Heechul. 

“Yeah” Heechul placed his glass down but continued to play around with it by swirling the remaining alcohol in it. “Remember the other time you spoke to me about Hani?” 

“Yeah, what about that?” 

“I found out who she likes” 

“Oh, that’s great news isn’t it?”  

“You said you knew who” 

“Yeah, isn’t it y...” 

“Why didn’t you tell me it’s you?” 

“Wait, what?”  

“She admitted that the person she like is you” 

“Hyung, it’s not what you think, I can expl...” 

“There’s no need to explain. When love happens, it happens and it’s absolutely normal, don’t worry, i won’t reveal this to anyone” Heechul picked up his glass again and took another sip.  

“Hyung...” Donghae sighed in defeat. How did someone who didn’t do anything like him got dragged into the picture? There must be a reason why Hani said that to Heechul. Isn’t he the one that she really likes? Not knowing how to respond to the sudden words, Donghae kept silent and observed Heechul. How he wished he could reveal the truth to his hyung, but he knew that it’s not what Hani wanted. She would’ve told him if she wanted him to know. There are just too much implications of this truth once it is revealed and he understood why she kept mum about it.  

“Treat her well alright, she’s my favourite dongsaeng by far!” Heechul gave a pat to Donghae’s back as he continued with his drink.  

—- 

Heechul’s POV 

 It was obvious that Hani was still upset about me when I texted her. I shouldn’t have said those hurtful words to her, knowing that she has the tendency to overthink and self-blame. I hurt her, with not only my words, but my actions and I totally understand if she doesn’t want to talk to me for now. It worries me that we haven’t been talking because she’s someone I care about a lot and treasure...