Someone New

One Thing

Her fingers typed rapidly on her keyboard. She paused mid-sentence. “Aish!” Bong-cha scratched the itch on her scalp.

 

Then a thought crossed her mind. ‘Should I just drop out?’ “Ugh!” She got out of her criss-cross position on her bed spreading her short arms and legs stretching. “Oh! This feels like heaven right now…” Her poor tired eyes were starting to give out, her eyes closed, “just for a moment…”

 

A blood-curdling scream came from the bathroom. “Ah! I’m up!” Bong-cha jumped off her bed fully alert.

 

“.” Baek-hyun cupped his left brow looking at himself in the mirror.

 

The door busted open. “Frying pan!” Bong-cha startled him as she held a frying pan as if it was a baseball bat. Her glasses were lopsided on her face. “Did the weasel come back?!”

 

Baek-hyun frowned in the mirror. “Weasel?”

 

She lowered her defenses fixing her crooked glasses. “Yah, don't you see the news? Seoul has a weasel problem because of a smuggler’s crate full of them busted open.” Then she realized. “Why are you cupping your brow?”

 

“None of your business get out.” Baek-hyun urgently was pushing her out. Bong-cha gasped pushing past making him fall over the toilet seat.

 

She inspected the sink with drops of blood and a pair of tweezers with tiny hair follicles on it. “Just what were you trying to do?” Bong-cha worried removing his hand from his brow.

 

“I was trying to trim my very bushy eyebrows,” Baek-hyun admitted embarrassed. It was something he has never done before, high school in Seoul made him fully aware of his image now.

 

Bong-cha grabbed some cotton swabs and pure alcohol, Baek-hyun shook his head a bit scared. “No, I’ll-I’ll do it myself.” He tried to reach for it but Bong-cha put it behind her out of his reach.

 

“No! Quit getting scared so easily, sit down, and trust a big sister to take care of her little brother.” Baek-hyun reluctantly sat back down.

 

“I’m not little anymore…” He mumbled looking like a grump. Bong-cha smiled pressing the wet cotton ball onto his brow.

 

“You’ll always be my little brother.” Her sweet sleepy voice whispered.

 

Baek-hyun lied in bed tossing and turning. His thoughts were depressive and have been for a long while. ‘Chan-yeol, Appa, Bong-cha… just thinking of them makes me nervous, I’m scared. Scared of what they might think...of me.’ His face buried deeper into his pillow gripping it tightly. His closed eyes formed tears that dripped onto his pillow. “I miss you so much omma.” His lips quivered. “I’m afraid.”

 

She walked in a light stroll with her white simple dress flowing making waves of white behind her. A small hand caught the end of her dress holding onto it while his other hand wiped the tears from his face. She stopped. “Baek-hyun,” She turned his way with concern. “Sweetheart, are you still crying?” Her hands wiped at his tears.

 

Her soft touch ceased his tears from dropping out of his eyes. The scent of fresh grass, flowers, refreshing wind, and especially her motherly scent was his cure. No longer did Baek-hyun feel weak, scared, or nervous. What he feels on a daily basis when he is not around her diminishes.

 

“Come with me now, hold my hand.” Baek-hyun didn’t hesitate and held onto his mother’s warm hand. “It’ll be fun I promise.”

 

It was not long after that they both reached a tree that oversees their small town perfectly. The amount of shade and sun was absolutely perfect. Baek-hyun sat on the grass between his mother’s legs as she read to him many of the children books he always enjoyed her sweet voice to read, at times he would play with a ladybug nearby while she read, or certain days when she herself was really happy she would sing as he laid his head on her chest and her soft fingers would caress his hair.

 

“What are you really afraid of?” Her calm voice asked him.

 

Baek-hyun opened his eyes feeling the dry tears on his skin and his pulse higher than normal. It felt so real as if his mother really asked him that question. The clock on the nightstand flashed 5:02 in the morning. He slowly crept out of his room heading towards the bathroom passing Bong-cha’s room, he turned back, curiously he turned the knob taking a peek just to check up on her.

 

Bong-cha was still crisscrossed with the laptop opened flashing its light on her. She was tilted back on her several pillows sleeping crooked and with her glasses about to fall off her face. He went in carefully closing the laptop and putting it on her desk before undoing her stiff legs and removing the majority of the pillows from under her before finally covering her with a blanket. “You’re so much trouble you know that?” He whispered barely audible.

 

“O-omma…” Her glasses slipped off as she shifted her body, Baek-hyun caught her glasses before it fell onto the wooden floor. Her closed eyelids began to form water under them as tears slid down her puffy cheeks. Baek-hyun’s fingers lightly wiped them away.

 

He sighed. “You and me both.” ‘I’m not as alone as I thought.’

 

“Oh my god!” Bong-cha quickly scrambled out of bed changing into something decent. She had classes today and in no way was she going to miss them.

 

She fast walked towards the bathroom but stopped shocked to see Baek-hyun’s backpack still on the living room coat hanger. “Oh !”

 

Baek-hyun was sound asleep on his pillow with saliva until his bedroom door busted open with a pillow flying in hitting him on the back of the head. “Baek-hyun hurry we're both late!” Bong-cha ran into the bathroom quickly trying to brush her teeth.

 

Baek-hyun showed up in the bathroom scratching his head. “Really? What time is it?” Bong-cha looked at him through the mirror while brushing her teeth. “Ack!” She gagged rinsing out quickly.

 

“What?” He frowned alarmed.

 

“Baek-hyun put that away!” She ran past him to her room.

 

He turned to the mirror, then he saw it. “Ah!” Baek-hyun cupped his morning wood beyond his pajama pants.

 

Bong-cha ran past the bathroom. “Take care of that before you get to school!” Baek-hyun buried his face in the sink blushing pink. “I’ll see you tonight, I have plenty of ramen on my shelves! Have a great day at school, I love you bye!” Baek-hyun just realized that without Bong-cha running the house was very silent.

 

He exasperated closing the bathroom door to take care of business before he went to school.

 

Bong-cha had her cheek placed over her palm. At the first half of the lesson she had enough energy to pay attention but that was wearing away quickly. ‘I should’ve taken the time to get me some coffee…’ her body leaned over something soft.

 

“Ahem.” A voice quietly cleared his throat.

 

It startled Bong-cha awake. He smiled kindly. “You seem pale today Bong-cha.” He whispered.

 

“Huh?” She blushed noticing the cute stranger with a pair of glasses similar to her’s. “Sorry about that.” Bong-cha sat up straight fully alert this time.

 

“Jin.” ‘What?’ She rose a brow confused but didn’t tare her eyes from the board, he was kind of cute in a nerdy way but she did not want to make it noticeable on her face.

 

“What?”

 

He chuckled. “My name is Jin, I just transferred to this class this morning.”

 

“Oh,” she nodded happily, “I’m Bong—“

 

“Bok Bong-cha, I know.” She was alarmed to hear that. “Most people find it weird that I check my class roster for the name of all my classmates, sorry I just do it to familiarize. No wonder I don’t have friends.” He chuckled nervously.

 

“You don’t have any friends?” Bong-cha felt bad. But what he does is a little weird, ‘I guess I can let that slide, he appears to be one worth getting to know.’ “You can start with me.” She smiled warmly taking out her hand for him to shake.

 

Jin grinned fixing his glasses taking her hand in his shaking it. “Now we properly met, let’s get to know each other.” Bong-cha chuckled feeling the excitement grow in the pit of her stomach. ‘Last year was really difficult for me from my mother’s sudden death, healing from that was stressful along with keeping up with work and the studies that made me want to knock myself out, but Baek-hyun moves in with me, I got moved up in rank with my internship, I have Mr. Hong as my mentor, and the cherry on top is that I made a friend who I think is pretty cute. Staying positive works in the long run Bong-cha, Fighting!’

 

After her very long morning class ended Bong-cha got a phone call from her boss. “H-hello?” She nervously answered. There was something about Soo Hyuk that always made her nervous, Jong Hyun used to make her feel that way as well but in time it was replaced by comfort.

 

“Why didn’t you come in today?” Soo Hyuk rummaged through the paperwork piled on his desk, he sounded clearly agitated. He rubbed his closed eyelids stressed.

 

Jin poked her shoulder from behind startling her. “Oh! Umm...sir didn’t you check my schedule? It shows my days off. It is on my desk for you to see.”

 

Soo Hyuk rolled his eyes sighing deeply. “Next time just tell me face to face, I don’t enjoy looking through my employee’s desk.”

 

“Uh...ok. Yes understood.” She stuttered while glancing at Jin who shifted his weight from leg to leg obviously waiting for her to get off the phone.

 

“Do me a favor Miss Bok, make copies of this month’s finance report for a short meeting then you can go.” Without a knock Si-yeon stepped into his office, Soo Hyuk immediately hung up furiously looking into his fiance’s eyes. “Why today of all days?”

 

“Hello? Hello, sir?”

 

Jin walked up to her. “Rude. What kind of boss do you work for?”

 

Bong-cha sighed. “One who is very dedicated to his work.” They walked the University park together.

 

“Hmm...is he famous? A business mogul?”

 

Bong-cha shrugged. “I don’t know him personally but he looks constantly stressed. Anyways--” Jin was sensing a goodbye.

 

“Have lunch with me.” He interrupted.

 

“What?” Bong-cha’s mind went utterly blank. “I gotta go to work.”

 

Jin frowned and slightly pouted. “That I thought it was your day off.”

 

Bong-cha couldn't help but smile. ‘He is so cute!’ “But my boss needs me…”

 

“How about I take you?” He offered. “As a friend with a car.”

 

Bong-cha bit her lower lip thinking about it while Jin anticipated her response. “Ok. I’ll pay for gas because the company is in Gangnam!”

 

Jin grinned. “Gangnam is no problem.”

 

Soo Hyuk tapped his pen scowling at Si-yeon.

 

“What’s with that face? You look as if you want to strangle me.” She rolled her eyes.

 

“Why are you here again? To fulfill one of your filthy fantasies in my office like last time?” He dropped the pen on his desk and concentrated on the company finances on his desktop screen.

 

Si-yeon felt a little hurt but stood up from her chair and leaned on his desk. “All I wanted to do was to see how you’re holding up, that’s all.” She murmured. “Haven’t seen you last weekend...or the weekend before that.” She reached over to touch his hand to make him stop typing, he pulled away before she could.

 

“What is it that you really want Si-yeon? There is a motive behind every marriage, what’s yours?” He stared at her intently, what’s yours?”

 

His eyes on her made her tense a bit. “I just want you.” She whispered with whole sincerity.

 

“Why?” He demanded.

 

“I just do.” The tension in the room was thick, Soo Hyuk refused to believe her. Something about Si-yeon always put him off.

 

Bong-cha sorted the papers on her desk. “There, I hope those are enough copies for the meeting.”

 

Jin messed with her pink stapler and pencils with kitten erasers. “Cute desk supplies.” He chuckled.

 

“I’ll just turn this in real quick to Mr. Lee then we can go.” Bong-cha smiled like a complete dummy barging into Mr. Lee’s office, forgetting to knock first.

 

Si-yeon’s eyes ripped away from Soo Hyuk’s furiously turning to the idiot who decided to ruin their moment. “What the hell do you want? Don’t you know how to knock? Didn’t you see his wife come in his office are you blind?” Bong-cha fixed her slipping glasses.

 

“Uh, actually Mrs. Lee yes I am.” Bong-cha’s innocent answer almost caused Soo Hyuk to chuckle.

 

Si-yeon towered over the poor short girl. “Are you getting smart with me now?” She whispered. “Watch yourself because you have no idea who you’re messing with.”

 

“Enough Si-yeon, see you way out. I have a meeting in just a few minutes.” Soo Hyuk pulled her away from Bong-cha’s face and pushed her towards his door. “Be an adult, don’t be rash and go home.”

 

Si-yeon turned to give Bong-cha one hard cold look before storming off. Jin had his back to the door waiting on Bong-cha but Si-yeon bumped into him almost knocking him off balance. “What it moron.” She huffed heading towards the elevator.

 

Jin frowned looking at her. “Geez.”

 

Bong-cha cleared . “Mr. Lee, your copies.” She handed them over, he gave her a warm smile. She looked away quickly before she blushes, something about him made her very nervous. “I’ll be going now.”

 

“Wait.” His hand pressed down on her shoulder. “Thank you, sorry if I sounded annoyed on the phone. I’ll look at your calendar for now on and make sure to know what days you don’t have to come in so I won’t bother you.”

 

“Oh, you don’t bother me at all!” She blurted Out looking up at him with her blushed face.

 

Soo Hyuk took one good look at her and chuckled. “All right then, but anytime I do call you in when you’re not supposed to be here just remind me I owe you a bonus.” She shook her head embarrassed about to walk out. “Oh and…” his voice changed instantly from a warm-hearted to cold, “don’t ever call Si-yeon Mrs. Lee again.”

 

Bong-cha caught onto how serious his voice became. Without turning back she nodded before heading out of his office. Soo Hyuk sighed deeply rubbing the back of his neck looking more stressed than earlier.

 

Jin lit up as soon as Bong-cha came out the door. “Wait.” He flinched. “You’re not gonna bump into me like that lady did?” He joked.

 

Bong-cha’s eyes got slightly wide. “She did?!” He nodded.

 

“Almost knocked me off my feet, she’s strong.”

 

“Or maybe because you’re weak.” Bong-cha laughed.

 

Jin gasped shocked. “Didn’t know you were a quick-witted girl Bong-cha, I’m starting to like you more and more.” She blushed. Jin took his hand out for her to take. “Let’s head to lunch, my lady.”

 

Bong-cha eyed her phone. “But if we do we won’t have time to get to our next class.”

 

“Who said we were going to our next class?” Bong-cha quickly shook her head in disapproval. “What? Sometimes it’s good to skip.” He took her hand but she quickly slipped away.

 

“What are you thinking, people might think we are together.”

 

Jin only shrugged. “So, let people think whatever the hell they want to think.” He took her hand into his again. Bong-cha was about to protest but she noticed the odd shape of his hands. Did something probably happen to him a long time ago? She looked up at him worried as he casually walked her to the elevator. 'Why am I concerned about someone I just met today?'