Chan-yeol

One Thing

The public bus made its second to last stop letting a few people out, one of those people was Bong-cha. She stepped out scratching her head pondering over Jong Hyun’s company card even though he told her countless times not to worry about; but the guilt is eating at her.

 

“Aish! I should retrace my steps tomorrow. Maybe I’ll ask at the coffee shop, someone was bound to see it right?” She walked into a low class neighborhood that sometimes had bums walking around frequently.

 

“Good evening Bong-cha!” Some of the homeless men and women huddled together at the corner talking to one another like they did every night.

 

“Oh!” Bong-cha smiled walking up to them. “How have you all been?” She bowed respectfully since the majority were her seniors.

 

One of the ahjumma’s grinned at Bong-cha’s actions. “Aish look at you, always so formal.”

 

Bong-cha grinned. “Well you are always my elders. Did you all get to eat today?” They all answered at the same time with ‘yes’ and ‘maybe’ or ‘I was just about to…’ Bong-cha frowned knowing very well they were lying. “You all lived in this world longer than me and still can’t master the skills of lying. “I’m gonna go home and whip you all something to eat!”

 

“Not necessary!”

 

“You have to feed yourself Bong-cha!”

 

“We can manage, honest!”

 

Bong-cha rolled her eyes. “Nope! I am making food for everyone and that is final! Don’t stop me!” She waved off as she marched into her neighborhood while they all spoke at once behind her without moving from the corner.

 

One of the men coughed seeing how Bong-cha disappeared into her small home. “God bless her heart.”

 

Bong-cha entered her home taking off her shoes slipping into her pink house shoes. Nearby she noticed a pair of black shoes belonging to a pair of long feet she knew all too well, her face lit up running into the living room.

 

A boy in a high school outfit lied on the couch munching on a Pepero stick while reading a Japanese manga. “Baek-hyun!” Bong-cha eyes widened as she ran up to him sitting on the floor. “Since when did you get here?” She assumed their step father wasn’t going to bring him until the weekend, she has not seen him in a long time then again her step father wasn’t very fond of Bong-cha due to her weight problem. He was and still is a very close minded man, also Baek-hyun is his only true son because Bong-cha’s father died almost ten years ago and her mother just last year in a work related accident.

 

“Hey sis.” Baek-hyun mumbled not ripping his eyes from his comic.

 

Bong-cha warmly smiled patting his soft dark hair. “How you been? Did you miss me?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“A lot?” She chuckled as he closed the manga realizing she was not going to stop talking.

 

Baek-hyun forced a smile. “Of course you can say that.” They both laughed at his sarcasm.

 

“What do you want to eat little brother?” She hopped up heading towards the kitchen.

 

“Whatever you have in your pantry noona.” He continued to read where he left off.

 

“Alright!” She checked taking out at least three boxes of macaroni and cheese. “Perfect! I certainly have enough.” Baek-hyun peeked from the couch seeing as she was going to prepare 3 boxes.

 

He rose a brow in concern. “Are you that hungry sis?”

 

“Lots!” She joked. “I am making for my friends that live out there in the cold.”

 

“The bums?” He knew all too well.

 

“Don’t call them that!” Bong-cha scowled at him. “They are people you know.” She began to boil the water.

 

Baek-hyun put the manga down. “Right, sorry.” He walked in the kitchen leaning against the counter. “Do you consider them your friends?”

 

Bong-cha smiled as she cooked. “Of course. We have lived here for three years, mom knew them and took care of them and I am just holding onto the tradition.”

 

“I,” Baek-hyun trailed off contemplating whether he should tell Bong-cha or not, but since he began he might as well finish, “I made a friend today.”

 

Bong-cha’s ears perked. “Oh really?” She turned to him brightly. “Is it a girl? Or a boy?”

 

“It’s a boy. He’s really cool.” He cleared his throat looking down at his converse. “I really like him, he’s a good friend.”

 

“What’s his name?”

 

“He comes from a wealthy family. Chan-yeol is his name, I made friends with a sunbae.” Baek-hyun chuckled.

 

“Oh, so he’s a senior. It’s nice to have an upperclassman friend, they end up standing up for you.” He nodded in agreement.

 

“He actual stood up for me today. That’s how we kind of became friends.” Bong-cha began to look concerned. “Some guys were beginning to pick on me but he got to me just in time, he has a lot of other friends as well. They are all pretty cool.”

 

Bong-cha sighed with relief. “At least they were kind enough to stand up for you.” He nodded while in deep thought.

~~~~

Baek-hyun walked the halls of his new high school, he used to go to one out in the countryside since his father works out there in the plant but they recently transferred him back to Seoul. In a way he was glad to see his noona again even though his father wasn’t to pleased by his request to stay with his sister for the remainder of the year. ‘Why does he see her as a failure?’ He pondered over his father’s prejudice against Bong-cha.

 

He didn’t realize he bumped into another body. “Watch it punk!” The other, taller, boy shoved against him in a defensive way. Baek-hyun looked up at him alarmed. ‘I didn’t mean to start any trouble.’ He gulped a bit panicked. “You got a problem with my face kid?” The boy got in Baek-hyun’s face as he coward hitting his back against the pair of lockers behind him. He shook his head furiously in response as the guy’s face was only an inch away. His large hand banged against the locker close to Baek-hyun’s head making him flinch.

 

“P-please...I’m new here.” He stuttered.

 

The guy smirked leaning onto Baek-hyun’s ear. “You think I ing care?” He whispered. ‘Well I’m screwed.’ Baek-hyun was about to make peace with his death until a foot kicked on the bully’s leg making him fall on one knee in front of Baek-hyun who stared back confused.

 

“Yah, Gun-pyo. Why do you have a stupid habit of picking on underclassmen?” A boy with brown well styled hair and a loose uniform shirt with a few of the upper buttons ed revealing his collarbone showed up in Baek-hyun’s perspective, he could only blink up at the giant. “Get up you idiot.” Chan-yeol kicked the guy in the bum a bit as he was barely managed to get up with the help of his goons.

 

“Aish!” Gun-pyo’s face heated up with embarrassment. “Chan-yeol you , who invited you into this?”

 

He only smirked while Baek-hyun stared at him in awe. ‘Chan-yeol.’ The ñame repeated in his mind several times so he wouldn’t forget it. “I invited myself.” ‘He’s so cool.’ Baek-hyun thought.

 

Gun-pyo smirked noticing Chan-yeol was all on his own. “Looks Like your friends aren’t here with you.”

 

“Take advantage Gun-pyo no one’s stopping you.” Chan-yeol rolled his eyes.

 

Gun-pyo quickly attempted to take a punch but Chan-yeol swiftly dodged it. Gun-pyo attempted several punches and kicks yet none seem to get Chan-yeol at all. Baek-hyun felt his heartbeat accelerate keeping his eyes fixated on Chan-yeol. ‘Is He my guardian angel?’

 

“Get in on this you idiots!” Gun-pyo yelled out to his goons.

 

Baek-hyun gasped. ‘Five against one! That isn’t fair!’ He felt himself grow nervous and scared for Chan-yeol but he only smirked. “I can take all of you idiots.” He sounded very cocky and by this point Baek-hyun already knew deep inside that didn’t sound possible.

 

Chan-yeol did dodge a few punches but one kick to the stomach was enough to send him down to his knees, they didn’t give him time to retaliate and just kept beating Chan-yeol. Baek-hyun stood there watching, afraid. He wanted to move so badly, he wanted to help Chan-yeol but he couldn’t find a way to make his body move. He was frozen and tense with eyes beginning to tear up seeing Chan-yeol begin to bleed. His beautiful face was beginning to get scared and bruised by the beatings.

 

‘I wish something can just stop this!’ Baek-hyun pleaded in his mind. The sound of a teacher’s whistle sounded gathering the attention of students as everyone flooded into that hall to see a fight going on, they all began to chatter and cheer some were angry to see Chan-yeol get hurt. “Yah stop!” The teacher ran over to them.

 

Kai, Sehun, and D.O. stepped out of their class passing past several other students shocked to see their leader Chan-yeol on the floor huddled by Gun-pyo and his goons. “Yah!” Kai jumped in kicking two of them down while Sehun and D.O. also didn’t waste any time to get in the fight.

 

“I am going to need security backup over here!” The teacher spoke through a handy walkie.

 

Baek-hyun stood there as high school guards separated both groups meanwhile the teacher picked up Chan-yeol putting his bruised arm over and around his neck. “You!” Baek-hyun turned to the teacher’s voice barely fading into his consciousness. “Give me hand with him will you?”

 

Baek-hyun found himself immediately move to Chan-yeol’s aid wrapping Chan-yeol’s arm over his neck.

 

Fidgeting with his fingers Baek-hyun kept his eyes on Chan-yeol’s sleeping figure in the infirmary. ‘It’s my fault.’ He blamed himself. ‘I should’ve done something, anything.’ The sound of Chan-yeol’s sheets rustling got his attention. He woke at least three hours later, Chan-yeol forced himself to try and stand. Baek-hyun’s eyes widened getting up from his chair. “You can’t!”

 

Chan-yeol groaned as he made the effort to stand on his two legs. “I manage, I have to get home.” He attempted to reach for his school blazer at the end of the bed but Baek-hyun snatched it.

 

“Please, at least sit down.” Baek-hyun appeared genuinely worried over his health.

 

Chan-yeol stared at him intently with his one eye since the other was bruised shut. After a moment he finally obliged and took a seat at the edge of the bed.

 

“Thank you.” Baek-hyun gave him a half smile.

 

Chan-yeol snatched the blazer from his hands and slowly began to put it on since his body hurt from the beating. “How long was I out?”

 

“Almost four hours. School finished an hour ago.”

 

“.” Chan-yeol cursed under his breath though Baek-hyun could obviously hear it.

 

“Do you need to be somewhere?” He asked with a brow raised.

 

“I have to be home.” Even though Chan-yeol didn’t want to go, but for sure his father has sent some of his men to go looking for his son by now.

 

“Let me take you.” Baek-hyun offered.

 

Chan-yeol shook his head. “How about you just head home yourself, I don’t need you taking care of me.” His voice sounded annoyed as he stood up walking past Baek-hyun.

 

“Thank you.” He whispered while Chan-yeol paused before opening the door. “Thank you for standing up for me today.”

 

Chan-yeol frowned. “Don’t think I’ll help you next time.” The door closed.

 

Baek-hyun turned to see Chan-yeol really left, he sighed making his way out too. At the end of the hall he noticed Chan-yeol having a conversation with men dressed in dark formal attire, his expression appeared annoyed yet sad. ‘I wonder what they are talking about?’

~~~~

Baek-hyun waved his sister goodbye as she walked with several macaroni and cheese servings in two plastic bags. “I’ll be back soon!”

 

“Okay.” He closed the front door walking into the living sitting back on that old couch that his mother got in a yard sale a two years before her passing. He sighed roughly grabbing the manga opening it up, but he didn’t read anything on the page, he couldn’t. Baek-hyun’s mind was occupied with concern over Chan-yeol. He could read Chan-yeol’s expression fairly easily. ‘He didn’t want to go home, his father must be a man of money, especially if he has men working for him looking for his son, but why did he seem sad? Maybe home isn’t as comfortable than many would like to believe.’ Baek-hyun bit his lip. “Why do I even care?” He began to read where he left off.

~~~~

A BMW Screeched to a halt in front of a large two story residence in a high class neighborhood. Soo-hyuk immediately stepped out slamming the door to his car storming up the staircase and barging into the house. A male butler greeted him but he ignored him. “Where is my father?”

 

“In his study.” The butler quickly answered. “He is busy.”

 

Soo-hyuk walked up the staircase where he heard his mother crying at the door of his father's study. “Please don’t hurt him anymore!” She cried out. Soo-hyuk furrowed his brows feeling himself boil inside but his heart softened seeing his mother so distressed. “Omma!” He pulled her into an embrace.

 

“P-please help Chan-yeol.” Her quivering voice muffled on his shirt.

 

“I have to take care of you first, come with me.” He yelled out for any housekeepers. House maids immediately appeared to his side. “Take her to her room and give her the pills.” He instructed. He pulled the collar of the nearest young female maid giving her an intense glare. “Do not ever leave her alone, ever!” He yelled to them as they quickly nodded and apologized for being incompetent.

He turned back to his father’s study shaking the locked knob. “!” He grabbed a nearby expensive ornament from the wall banging it against the knob loosening it. Soo-hyuk barged inside to see Chan-yeol very bruised from the face already with some blood dripping from his lower lip. Their father towered over him with a large book in his hand smacking Chan-yeol in the face with it repeatedly. “Father stop it!” Soo-hyuk yelled out.

 

“You incompetent fool!” His father ignored his words raising the book in the air. Chan-yeol closed his eyes preparing for the next hit.

 

A strong hand caught onto their father’s wrist. “Father I said stop it.” Soo-hyuk’s voice got deeper. Chan-yeol opened his eyes to see his older brother standing in between the both of them.

 

His father’s eyes widened at him. “Who are you to get involved. Haven’t I hit you enough already! Chan-yeol needs to learn his lesson, but he is just as hard headed as you were! I never thought I would have to take care of another incompetent son who only gave me problems when I gave him chances.” His father budged out of Soo-hyuk’s hold. He slammed the book on the floor and immediately a servant from the house who was standing there the whole time Chan-yeol was being beat came to retrieve the book to be put back in the bookshelf. Their father loosened his tie. “Take it with you, I don’t want another disappointment living under my roof.” He headed back to his desk while Soo-hyuk stood there with clenched fists trying his best to calm the hatred that boiled inside him everytime he saw his father. “Are you deaf, get out.” The thing that hurt Chan-yeol the most was the coldness in his father’s tone. He no longer cared for both of them.

 

Chan-yeol weakly stood up. His knees were sore from staying in his kneeling position the entire time. Soo-hyuk held onto him for support but Chan-yeol only shrugged him off. “I can by myself.” They both walked out. Their father didn’t even look their way as they exited his study.

~~~~

Soo-hyuk clicked on his seat belt while Chan-yeol slightly struggled with his, Soo-hyuk offered to help but it only angered Chan-yeol. “I said I got it!” He spoke through his clenched jaw. Soo-hyuk started the car as he drove off heading to his apartment.

 

After a while of driving Soo-hyuk decided to speak. “What did you do this time?” Chan-yeol scoffed. “I was just like you in school too.”

 

“You don’t know anything about me.” Chan-yeol muttered while his one normal eye looked out his window at the several streetlights of the city.

 

“I should take you to the hospital. You can’t keep fighting just because Chan-yeol!” Soo-hyuk’s grip tightened on the wheel.

 

Chan-yeol turned to him looking furious. “Shut up! You don’t even know my reasons! You’re just like dad, both of you don’t care about any of the that happens to me unless it is when I get hurt!”

 

Soo-hyuk furrowed his brows as his grip on the wheel made his knuckles turn white. “That’s not true.”

 

Chan-yeol gave out a bitter chuckle turning back to his window. “At least mom cares, at least noona cares.” He murmured before just closing his eyes resting his head back. All of the arguing was giving him nothing but a damn headache.

 

Soo-hyuk bit his lower lip feeling nothing but turmoil inside. Chan-yeol was right. Soo-hyuk only appeared to care when he got into fights other than that he hasn’t really paid attention to anything else like how well was Chan-yeol doing in school? Or did he make new friends? Or even have a girlfriend? They used to be so close back then but ever since Soo-hyuk decided to straighten up and work for his father’s company it was as if Chan-yeol became a stranger. ‘I wonder if he will ever let me back in after how out of touch I’ve been?’ He glanced over to Chan-yeol who was still facing his head away from him. ‘I need to make things right, somehow.’

~~~~

Bong-cha gave each of her friends a serving.

 

“Thank you so much dear.”

 

“God bless your heart.”

 

“Thank you for at least thinking of us Bong-cha.”

 

She smiled widely. “It is no problem at all, I care for each and everyone. Please eat well and plentiful!”

 

One of the ladies walked up to her with a recognizable black cat in her arms. “Oh! Byte!” She handed the feline to Bong-cha.

 

“I found her eating something strange in the dumpster. Take good care of her or she’ll get sick.”

 

Bong-cha nodded. “Thank you so much, I will.” She petted Byte who only meowed in her arms. “Please all of you enjoy!” They all thanked her as Bong-cha bowed before heading back up to her home.

 

She petted Byte’s fur. “Byte what have you been eating? Don’t get sick on me now, I don’t know if I’ll have enough for the vet this time.” She frowned slightly scolding her cat who only sneezed in response. “Bless you.” She giggled heading back inside her home. “Maybe I should ask Mr. Lee for afterhours, what do you think Byte?”