Day 7: ER

Gingerbread and Tinsel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Emergency Room’s waiting room is full of noise and filled to the brim with people even though it’s Christmas Eve. Donghae flexes the hand in the plaster cast and sighs, giving up on trying to warm his frozen fingers. He yanks the beanie off his head and wraps it around his hand, smiling slightly at the instant warmth it provides. “I need better friends,” he says offhandedly.

Sungmin groans beside him, clutching one of Kyuhyun’s old T-shirts to the bleeding wounds on his arm. “I have so many regrets.”

“Is one of them letting Youngjae get into a fight?” Donghae asks, not entirely rhetorical. “Or stepping in, trusting in your one semester of taekwondo skills to save your ? Or trying to block a bottle with your arm?”

“All of the above,” Sungmin grumbles, sinking lower in his seat and glaring at his arm. “The alcohol doesn’t even numb it!”

“I don’t think that’s how it works,” Donghae snickers. He glances up as two young men sit across them, engaged in a hushed argument. The tall one is clutching at his bandage-wrapped foot and looking very sorry for himself. His friend’s almond shaped eyes are narrowed beneath strong eyebrows, a sharp jawline set as he argues his point. Unable to help himself, Donghae strains his ears to listen.

“…if you didn’t leave the baubles and lights all over the floor, this wouldn’t have happened!” The injured one hisses.

“That’s on your boyfriend, Changmin. I was busy cooking!” The hot one replies, looking irritated as Changmin glares at him stubbornly. “Besides, walking in the dark barefoot is dumb anyway!”

“Indoors? In my own house?!” Changmin sniffs and goes to cross his arms, but stops when the bandage on his foot loosens. “Fine, Hyukjae, if I can’t blame you then I’ll blame the reception for making me wait. What’s it been, ten minutes?”

Hyukjae gla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter