Egoist

LOOΠΔ the World (theory version)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Olivia Hye presented her story through Egoist. Congratulations to our 12th girl for our debut but at the same time, it saddens me thinking the pre-debut comes to an end. 

 

Last four girls are remaing. Starting with Yves, Chuu and Go Won talk about their ego. The ego is seen as a girl who admires someone, or envies another. Sometimes, it starts from self-loathing or disappointment in oneself.

However, they comet to a realization that self-awareness is not decided upon by oneself by starting to love oneself. With novelty, excitement and uniqueness. Although it may seem selfish, the process of completing one's ego with loving oneself is captured in the story. 

 

At first, I watched and listened to Egoist feeling excited (who wouldn't be?). The aesthetics and the beat drop amazed me, reminding of how Love Cherry Motion worked its wonders. I'm not saying both MVs are similar, only that both successfully impressed me with the girls' ability to embody duality in one song. Bravo girls!

Then, I watched it for the second time (with English captions this time) and the third time while going through the lyrics.

I must say, Blockberry Creative saved the best for the last. It was when I watched it for the third time (and some more, I lost my count) and only then I began to catch up a few things... I think.

  

I got a few assumptions wrong previously so I'm not quite confident to present my outline for Olivia Hye but I want to try figure this out. This post is about get lengthy (as always hehe). Feel free to pitch in your thoughts!

 

 

As I mentioned before, when watching this for the first time I saw Olivia Hye as a fallen angel and her pure innocence got tainted from leaving Eden following Yves, Chuu and Go Won's footsteps. Simple as that. 

Or was it?

Then, how about Jinsoul? What is she doing there?

And why Heejin came to meet Olivia Hye at the end? 

 

Before I continue with Egoist, I'll sum up of what happened in LOONAVERSE so far (based on my theory) :  

1. Yves, originally in ODD EYE CIRCLE, defied God's order and left the unit. She trade places with Choerry (whose color was white at first) and remained by herself somewhere outside between ODD EYE CIRCLE and Eden. Choerry joined ODD EYE CIRCLE and re-completed the circle.

2. Heejin found a mirror in ViViD and flipped it upside down, reversing the colors of of ODD EYE CIRCLE world (black and white) and hers. But eventually ODD EYE CIRCLE members reunite and regain their colors, ruining newly-colored ViViD thus forcing Heejin to escape to LOONA 1/3 world.   

3. Heejin's action caused anomaly in LOONA 1/3 world. At the same time, Jinsoul who recovered her memory first (thanks to certain someone) went to find missing Choerry in LOONA 1/3. Kim Lip stayed dense until Choerry passed by her (Sweet Crazy Love) and recovered herself in Eclipse. 

4. ViVi the human went exploring LOONA 1/3 world, leaving her friend Yves all alone. Yves soon went after her, so ViVi trade places with Yeojin in LOONA 1/3 and put up a android version of herself as a diversion. Then, Yeojin goes MIA...

5. Chuu discovered Yves lingering outside Eden, (perhaps) fascinated by her rebellion (Heart Attack) and decided to follow Yves' footsteps. But as it is the more the merrier, they tempted Go Won to join them much later (One & Only).

 

By LOONA's order, Olivia Hye stands at the end of the line. But in my opinion, number one started with Olivia Hye. After all, it's a neverending Mobius strip right?

LOONA's third unit is based on Genesis and the story of Adam and Eve. Blockberry Creative presented Yves, Chuu and Go Won as rebels going against God's orders. Even Go Won the keeper of the apple farm fell for tempting desires. 

So what is Olivia Hye playing as?   

 

 

Many forgot that before Adam and Eve were expelled from Heaven, Lucifer was thrown out first.

In Islamic version, God created Lucifer (the Devil) from fire and then made Adam from clay. Eve was created from Adam's rib as his companion. Later, God granted Adam as the leader of mankind as He commands every single being to bow to Adam, including the Angels and the Devil himself. The Devil questioned God's order by saying he, whose made of fire, is far more greater than Adam and refuses to bow to Adam. God then banishes Lucifer but with a condition by the Devil that he is allowed to (attempt) driving all of Adam's future offsprings into evil until the Day of Judgment arrives. God grants the request.

The Christian version is a bit longer but you can read it here. The Islamic version, to me, is simpler and explains better. Christian or Islamic or Hebrew, either versions are similar in some way or another. 

Olivia Hye held a lighter and (maybe later) burn things with it, as fire is what Lucifer was made of.

 

 

The Chinese word behind Jinsoul translates as 'fallen angel' describing Olivia Hye. Thank you Youtube commenters for the tip. 

So what does Jinsoul have to do with this?

Have you ever thought how Jinsoul recovered her memory when BY ORDER, Kim Lip should've recovered hers first?

I'll explain that later. Back to Olivia Hye.

 

In LOONA's Eden, the story started with Olivia Hye first.

She was God's Angel, all innocent and pure wearing white. Yves reflected the first part of her story by wearing the same dress in new. Choerry, originally from Eden (remember, she traded places with Yves) also wore white and previously had white as her color. Olivia Hye's first teaser photo has her name written in white before gradually turns into black. 

Probably all Eden members supposed to possess white colors (as angels) to match their innocence and purity.

 

Olivia Hye's animal persona is a black wolf. Wolves are often seen as intimidating, threatening but they are also symbols of guardianship, ritual, loyalty and spirit. A wolf has the ability to make quick and firm emotional attachments, and often need to trust its own instincts. Like a wolf, Olivia Hye speaks about trusting her own heart and mind, and have control of her own life; but in a way the trait was seen as ego by God. 

 

The word egoist doesn't seem to exist when I looked it up, the closest one is egotistical. 

 

      Egotistical (/ˌɛɡəˈtɪstɪk(ə)l,ˌiːɡəˈtɪstɪk(ə)l/)

        » excessively conceited or absorbed in oneself; self-centred

 

I think Olivia Hye herself created that word after she became a fallen angel, just as Lucifer who tampered with the original order in Heaven/Garden of Eden and birthed evil into this world. She found ego in herself thus becoming an Egoist. 

 

The most popular folklore related to wolves is werewolves, of course. A werewolf is a mythological or folkloric human with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf, either purposely or after being placed under a curse or affliction (often a bite or scratch from another werewolf). A werewolf transforms went he or she comes into contact with or simply the appearing of a full moon.   

 

At the edge of the darkness

That’s where I saw the moonlight

 

Egoist MV portrays the inside of Olivia Hye's mind and heart. At first, she was innocent and pure. 

 

 

God then created Chuu (Eve) as Yves' (Adam) companion. As expected, Chuu fell in love with Yves and goes all out to give her heart to Yves (Heart Attack). 

 

The day we first met

As if a new world has opened

 

I'll give it all, take my heart

Surely you're my destiny

 

This is what "fall in love" is

 

All of my standards set to you

Like the moon spinning around the earth

 

Go Won is probably an archangel, an angel of high rank given her title as 'the Catcher in the apple farm' and the crown she wore. 

 

I don't need no Garden of Eden

The time in my hands

Means that I'm already in Heaven

 

Her high rank also allows her to sit at the end of the dining table where that very seat usually reserved for superiors. 

 

When God made the Angels, including Olivia Hye bow to Yves (Adam), she refused to obey His order.

Her ego grew as egotists are unable to recognize their accomplishments of others leaves them profoundly self-promoting; while sensitivity to criticism may lead on the egotist's part to narcisisstic rage at a sense of insult. God granting authority and recognition to Yves whose originally not from Eden (she's from ODD EYE CIRCLE and she took Choerry's place) is an insult to Olivia Hye who was created from a more powerful element (fire) than Adam's (clay/dust).

At this point, her color darkens from white to grey. 

 

Her pride got hurt, to her the rejection is no different than as her place being denied in Heaven. This feeling of Olivia Hye's was reflected by Yves in new. 

 

Your facial expression towards me

Turned cold at some mom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter