Uncover

LOOΠΔ the World (theory version)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi there! While waiting for Go Won's official release, I wrote this to explore additional hints that I found. 

Warning : It's a long way. Sorry.

 

Last time, I thought about exploring the relation of Aphrodite Means Death by John Appleby to LOOΠΔ. Many had said this novel centered around the famous Venus de Milo which also found in one of Yves' teaser photos. 

 

 

 

I don't know much about this but according to a book review, the title itself is a reference to Venus de Milo. 

 

The plot Aphrodite Means Death is conditioned on the reader's familiarity with the tale of the statue's provenance, and perhaps because such awareness couldn't be assumed, John Appleby has an uncle provide the protagonist with a potted history late one night over a glass of wine. The following day Uncle John is killed when he falls at the platform at Baker Street Tube Station as the train approaches. In this case, it is knowing too much about the statue of Aphrodite which means death. 

 

This statue is an ancient Greek sculpture created by Alexandros of Antioch, named Aphrodite of Milos after the Greek goddess of love and beauty Aphrodite (Venus to the Romans) and the Greek island of Milos where it was discovered, sometime between 130 and 100 BC. The Aphrodite of Milos is widely renowned for the mystery of her missing arms. It was discovered by a peasant named Yorgos Kentrotas in 8 April 1820. 

Regarding Aphrodite, she is the ancient Greek goddess of love, beauty, pleasure and procreation. Aphrodite is identified with the planet Venus and her major symbols include myrtle, roses, doves, sparrows and swans. 

Doves? Swans? Haseul and Yves? 

Aphrodite was forced to marry Hephaestus, the dour, humorless god of smithing. He is overjoyed to be married to Aphrodite and forges beautiful jewelry, including a strophion known as the kestos imas, a kind of girdle. Yves danced in a girdle-kind white dress at the bowling alley (new). 

So Yves is Aphrodite?

 

Another interesting relation between Aphrodite and apples can be found in the myth of Judgement of Paris.   

It is recounted that Zeus held a banquet in celebration of the marriage of Peleus and Thetis (parents of Achilles). However, Eris the goddess of discord wasn't invited, for it was believed she would've made the party unpleasant for everyone. Angered by this snub, Eris arrived at the celebration with a golden apple from the Garden of Hesperides, which she threw into the proceedings as a prize of beauty. According to some later versions, upon the apple was the inscription καλλίστῃ (kallistēi, "To/for the fairest one").

Three goddesses claimed the apple; Hera, Athena and Aphrodite. They asked Zeus to judge which of them was the fairest. Eventually, he was reluctant to favor any claim himself, thus declared that a Trojan mortal prince named Paris of Troy would judge their cases, for he had recently shown his exemplary fairness in a contest. 

With Hermes as their guide, the three candidates bathed in the spring of Ida, then confronted Paris on Mount Ida. After failing to judge their beauty with clothes on, the three goddesses stripped to convince Paris of their worthiness. While Paris inspected them, each attempted with her powers to bribe him;

1. Hera offered to make him king of Europe and Asia

2. Athena offered wisdom and skill in war

3. Aphrodite (who had Charites and Horai to enhance her charms with flowers and song) offered the world's most beautiful woman, Helen of Sparta (wife of the Greek king Menelaus)

Paris accepted Aphrodite's gift and awarded the apple to her, receving Helen as well as the enmity of the Greeks (especially Hera). The Greeks' expidition to retrieve Helen from Paris in Troy is the mythological basis of the Trojan war. 

If I compare to the 3 goddesses (Hera, Athena and Aphrodite) and Paris of Troy, perhaps Yves is the mortal Paris (since she's an outsider) whereas Chuu, Go Won and the 12th girl are the 3 goddesses. Chuu is one of the goddesses who continuously appealed to Yves with green apple (Heart Attack). 

Another theory would be Go Won is Eris who threw the golden apple since one of her captions said, "Keeper of apple field". Or perhaps it was Yves who kept throwing apples and one was caught by Choerry (new)?

If Yves is indeed Aphrodite, the mortal Paris of Troy could be represented by Yeojin. Yeojin was the missing link from LOOΠΔ 1/3 (assume she was in the land of human) and there were 3 princes appeared in her dream.

All three offered her a bouquet of roses, a pair of shoes and a gift box. Roses are one of things that represents Aphrodite.   

Presence of 3 strangers roaming with Yves (in new) supports the theory just as Aphrodite had accompanied Charites and the Horai by her side. Another one could be Yeojin (Paris of Troy) whom his (or her for Yeojin) heart won by Aphrodite? 

 

This particular myth named the Apple of Discord apparently rooted other versions with the same theme around the world.

The classic fairy tale Sleeping Beauty is partly inspired by Eris' role (in the wedding of Peleus and Thetis). Like Eris, a malovolent fairy curses a princess after not being invited to the princess' christening. 

The affair of Yan Ying killing two warriors with three peaches (èr taó shā sān shì) comes from the Yanzi chunqiu. Duke Jing of Qi has 3 generals (Gongsun Jie, Tian Kaijiang and Gu Yezi) in his emp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter