Flashback

Unattainable Dream

[Eun- Mi POV]

First day of school 

"Okay Eun-mi darling we are finally here. My little princess is already going to school, time flies so fast ." said my dad fixing my bangs that fell on my glasses. 

We were currently in front of the school and I was amazed by the entrance : the big gate was painted in dark green which allowed to see what was behind. There were parents who bid goodbye to their kids telling them to behave correctly and listen to the teacher. As usual I was afraid to go inside, it was the first time that my parents and I got separated - a sudden feeling of nausea spread all over my throat making its way to my mouth - for a moment all I wanted was to throw up.

"My God Eun-Mi please don't start again ! I know you are stressed and afraid but it's not a reason to throw up. All the little bears cereal you've eaten this morning will be wasted" giggled my mom. "No more seriously, the first part of a human life is to go to school - You will learn new things everyday and your life will have more fun in it so be brave my girl ! ".

She wanted me to be brave but I can't. Just by seeing this gate I got goosebumps all over my body, the buiding looked old and felt like a place from which you can't escape - just like a jail. Who knows if there are ghosts in it ? What if I get possessed by a spirit or worse what if it swallows me ? As the minute passed, the school became more and more scarier and couldn't do anything to control my fears. 

"Mom, I'm not okay - I don't want to learn. Please take me home with you. I don't want to stay here, please" I begged

"See how all these kids are happy to go to school ? You should be like them Eun-Mi - Don't be afraid" comforted my dad. "Who knows maybe you will find new friends today isn't that exciting ?" added my mom with a smile.

Friends ? Who wants to befriend me ? I'm just an ugly looking girl with big thick glasses - no one will befriend me. 

"It's time to go my princess, mommy and I will pick you up in the afternoon when classes are finished - From now on, you must work well and become someone who your mommy and I will be proud of". 

The bell started to ring and I knew I had to go.

"Bye mom, bye dad ! I love you both" i said with tears forming in the corner of my eyes. 

And they both kissed me on the cheek and waved their hands. I slowly made my ways into the school - and that was the beginning of an new adventure.

- - - - - 

In school 

I was sitting in my classroom and the teacher was calling us by names, she told us to respond "Present" when we were here. We were around 20 or 25 but most of my classmates were friends so they sat together. I was the only one who was alone - there was only an empty seat beside me. I asked myself if someone would sit beside me but then I remembered what my dad told me earlier : "From now on, you must work well and become someone who your mommy and I will be proud of". That's right Eun-Mi ! Even if you are alone you must make your parents proud and not let them down. While thinking about my parents a little smile appeared in my face and then with the teacher we started to sing "London Bridge is falling down". 

It was the recess time, all the students went to play outside on the playground : there were many slides, swings, hopscotch, cycle etc... I wasn't interested in these things until I saw a group of girl playing skipping rope. I have always wanted to try that with someone - should I ask them or not ? They were only four girls and they seem to be nice but at the same time what if they say no ? I would make a fool of myself. As per mom said I should try to make new friends. Indeed, I let my shyness away and went to them slowly - they were counting the number of jumps made without falling down.

I opened my mouth and asked with a little voice

" Can I play with you ?" 

The four girls looked strangely at me and eventually accepted

"Okay if you want"

I was going to jump - 1,2,3,4 - the number of jumps popped up into my head and I was happy that I've made it so far but then my shoelace untied itself and I tripped over it and fell on the hard ground. Blood was coming out of my knee and I knew I hurt myself pretty bad. 

"She can't even make 10 jumps, she's a total wastage- next time just play by yourself !" yelled one of the girl angrily at me 

She didn't even ask if I was ok neither did her friends. They only grinned and laughed evily at me. I know I shouldn't have asked her to play, see Eun-mi because of your stupidity you are bleeding I cursed on myself. The weather was really cold and I couldn't bear the pain on my freezing knee, tears started to form on my eyes and I just wanted to scream. And then suddenly a voice asked me 

"Are you okay Eun-Mi" ?