A Saturday Night Dinner

Unattainable Dream

[ Eun-Mi ] 

Saturday morning ... 

Since there is no school on saturday, I decided to watch cartoons and swiped every channel until Spongbob appeared on TV. I let my remote sit on my lap and watched an episode ignoring my surrounding. 

"Eun-Mi, get me quickly the USB key - the blue thing on the table" asked Dad typing in his laptop. 

I was so focused on the TV that my ear didn't catch those words. 

"EUN-MI !" 

"What Dad ?!"

I irritately answered without looking at him. He's not letting me watch cartoons peacefully. He was sitting in the other side of the room, his body faced me and his shoulders straightened. His expression suddently changed into a frown. 

"I SAID, GET ME THE USB KEY ON THE TABLE NOW !"

The way he spoke scared me a bit but judging the angry tone in his voice, I could tell that it must be something important. Without making a noise, I went to the table, got what he asked and gave it right away. He snatched the key and didn't utter a word as he was still busy on his laptop. Then, his phone rang and Dad shaked while picking up. I let him speak and went to my Spongebob's. Maybe it's from work ? Dad is a workaholic, he works a lot even on Sundays, that's because his company needs him to manage the shares. If Dad's not there nothing is gonna work and there they'll go bankrupt.

A few minutes later, Dad called Mom to told her that the CEO of his company invited us for a dinner today at his house. Of course, "us" means Mom and Dad which means I'm not included. I smiled to myself thinking about it. Thank God, I'm not invited or else it will be difficult to handle the situation. I mean who loves dinners and parties ? You have to dress up to see people whom you never met before and pretend to enjoy the night while eating some food. All the people gathered are always gossiping about each and everyone. Hypocrites ! Just thinking about the whole atmosphere hurts my head.

" But we did buy nothing for them, we can't go barehanded Darling" interrupted Mom 

"Don't worry honey, I'll go get something quickly. Just make sure that Eun-Mi is ready" added Dad before picking his coat and leaving the house. 

Whaaaaaaaaaaat ? They don't plan to take with them right ? Seriously ? Why is this happening to me I cried to myself. There is no way I'm letting this happen.

"Mom, I'm no-"

I couldn't finish my phrase as she grabbed me with her hands and took me to my room. Half and hour later, she was still choosing an outfit for me to wear but little did she know that I'm not willing to join them. 

"Mom, I don't want to be a part of that dinner. Just go without me" I plainly said looking at her back. She turned around and frowned still gripping a dress. 

"Why ?" 

I couldn't possibly tell her that I don't like these people gathering stuff and all but I have to come up with a reason.

"It's that ... that ... I don't know anyone there, most of the people will be around your age and all you are gonna do is to talk about work or something like that. It will be boring Mom, please let me stay here. I'm already 6 and can manage myself for a bit". 

"There won't be anyone aside the CEO's family and ours Eun-Mi. You know what ? They have a child who is exactly your age. You two will surely get along well" she chuckled. 

And with that, she gave me a peach colored dress with a ribbon tied in the back. I took it from her and stared at it for a long time before finally making up my mind. 

In front of the mansion ...

I was amazed by the hugeness of the mansion. Feels like we are in a movie or something like that. Dad pressed a button and the door opened revealing a women in her 30's. She was tall and had long thick black hair. She welcomed us with a big smile as we entered in their house. The inside was beautifully decorated with chandeliers, yellow lights and paintings. The furniture was made of wood and the wall were painted in beige. I was contemplating their house, compared to ours this mansion gave a rich-like vibe where I wasn't feeling comfortable. I was startled when I heard a deep laugh behind me. There was standing a tall man dressed in a black suit. He looked like Usui Takumi from Kaichou wa Maid sama. The only differences was that he was black haired and had onyx-colored eyes. I was questionning myself about who he was when he came to me and asked 

"Are you Eun-Mi ?" 

I replied with a nod when he bent and looked me in the eyes.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Kim Min Jun your father's friend" he smiled 

 Whaaaaaat ? Daddy's best friend ? I turned around and saw my parents giggling 

" But weren't we supposed to meet the CEO of your company Dad ?" I curiously asked. 

Dad told me that Min Jun sir is the CEO we had to meet and Mom added that they were friends from college days and he became the CEO of Dad's working company not too long ago. That's why they insisted me to come with them here. She explained that to Dad, Min Jun sir is more like a brother than a friend. I was really, truly shocked upon hearing this revelation. But somehow, it must be nice to work with people you appreciate. I just remembered that I didn't return the greeting to Min Jun sir and quickly executed myself. 

"Please excuse my behaviour Sir, nice to meet you too" and I bowed. 

"That's okay Eun-Mi, please be comfortable around us. We are like a second family to you " with that he pat my head  and smiled. 

A few moments later, we were all sitting in the couch. Min Jun sir and Dad talked about work (as expected) whereas Mom and Ae Him aunty were watching a Korean drama named Empress Ki. As time passed, I was getting bored as I started dozing off in the couch. I just closed my eyelids when aunty got up quickly which startled me a bit. 

"I'm so sorry everyone, I forgot to introduce my son. I'll go upstairs and bring him." 

Mom told me they have a child but I came to know that it was a boy. Is he nice ? Does he look like his Min Jun sir or Ae Him aunty ? Where does he study ? All the questions filled up in my head. I was starting to get curious. Anyway, it's gonna be difficult for me to open up easily but I'll try my best.The sound of footsteps could be heard as the ryththm of my hearbeat accelerated. My gaze fell on the floor and I saw a pair of nice shoes. I slowly raised my head and saw a familiar boy. It took me 2 seconds to recognize him. 

"Annyeonghaseyo everyone, I'm Kim Jong In" 

I couldn't believe what was happening ... Jong In's family and mine are friends ? His eyes wandered everywhere before he took a glimpse of me. I guess he was surprised by my sudden appearance but he responded with a smile (as always). 

" Okay, so now all the introduction are done, who's gonna join me to eat" proposed Min Jun sir. 

Maybe this dinner will be more fun than what I thought. Let's wait and see !  

 

After dinner time ...

We were cleaning up the table after eating. I went to the kitchen and saw aunty speaking to Mom. 

"Aunty ... The food you made was really yummy, the Bindaetteok was delicious" I complimented her looking at her green-colored dress. 

"Ohhh ! Thank you my child" she hugged me and pat my head. 

I wonder why everyone in this family likes patting my head. It must be because I have a small head. Or because I'm small.

"Eun-Mi" 

"Yes ?" I turned around and saw Jong In playing with his hands. 

"Do you wanna come upstairs ?" 

He felt a bit shy and I hesitated a few seconds before agreeing. That's right, their house, sorry sorry mansion is soooooo big it would take a week to finish visiting. And I wanted to see how the rooms looked-liked so I went with him. After visiting all the rooms upstairs, we ended up sitting on his bed. His room was surely one of a kind. The walls were painted in black and there were several posters of celebrities. Most of them were singers or dancers. I was looking at them when he asked me 

"Is your knee okay ?" 

I almost forgot about that. To tell the truth, it made me a bit happy that he worries over me. 

"It's completely healed now" I smiled

We sat in silence for a couple of minutes because there were no topic of conversation. I urged to break the ice between us. 

"You like them ?" I asked him pointing my fingers toward the posters. His face brightened up 

"Yes ! I wanna be like them in the future. I want to sing, dance, compose music to make everyone happy. 

I was surprised when he said that. I couldn't imagine him dancing in front of so many people, it would be so funny to watch. 

"And you ?" 

I didn't think about a job until now. I don't know what I'm interested in so what would be my dream job ? I questionned myself. In any case, it has to be a job where I can work alone without any colleagues. Beside that I really don't know. 

Someone knocked at the door and Mom appeared holding my jacket in her hands. 

"Eun Mi, we should go now. It's getting late". 

I looked at Jong In whose expression fell down, he was disappointed. Maybe a lot as he stared at the floor for a long time.

"Don't worry Jong In, we'll catch up on Monday" I tapped on his shoulders. 

"But I'll miss you Eun-Mi" 

My mind went blank for a second. He'll miss me ? I gave him a big smile and told him the same. After that, we all went downstairs and I waved goodbye to him and his family. 

In Eun-Mi's room ...

I jumped in my bed and hugged my teddy bear. This day made me so happy, even though Jongin and I didn't speak a lot, we still had fun. While thinking of him I started smiling and closed my eyes. He's so nice and soft-spoken. Moreoever, his family is very kind and caring. It wasn't THAT bad after all. I was so tired that in no time I went to sleep. And even in my dream, he was there - Smiling.