the village

Love in 1950

It was summer 1950 in Korea. The Park family was moving to their new house which locates in a small village. They say, well his friends say, that the town is so small that everybody knows each other’s secrets. Chanyeol doesn’t know if he should believe that because it was coming from his friends and his friends are pretty stupid. Chanyeol who was very different from them considers himself to be lucky to have friends because, with a personality like his, it’s impossible to make friends. Yes, Chanyeol was a quiet boy, maybe the quietest boy in the whole school. You see, Chanyeol is very shy when it comes to people. Before he met his friends, he was always sitting alone, doing who knows, but one day his friends approached him and tried to befriend him. It was difficult at first, but eventually, he became friends with them. This is why he doesn’t like moving out. Now he has to make new friends, and it’s not the easiest job for Chanyeol, even his friends know that.

 

The ride to the village took about 2 hours by car. The first thing he noticed was that everyone in the neighbourhood was looking at them. “oh look, rich people. Must be the new neighbours” they whispered, but Chanyeol could hear them. The villagers were throwing unusual glares to the park family, his parents didn’t mind, but Chanyeol did. Eventually, he just ignored it and helped his family with moving in.

 

By the evening they finished with putting their equipment in their house. “Chanyeol” yelled his mother. “yes, mother?” said the quiet boy who was reading a book. “why don’t you go outside, exploring the village? Just come back before dinner” Chanyeol was not in the mood for going outside, he just wanted to read his book, but didn’t want to make his mother angry, since she was exhausted and all. “yes mother” Of course he was going to bring his book too.

 

It was warm outside; you could say that. You would expect that everybody was out because of the warm weather but in this case, it wasn’t like that. The neighbourhood he lived in was quiet, very different compared to his previous block since he lived in the city. Chanyeol didn’t mind though

 

He just walked around, not knowing where. Searching for a place where he could read his book. Then he spotted a playfield. Chanyeol sat on the swings, and it made him feel happy. It reminded him of his previous home and neighbourhood. He would always sit there, reading a book. He was so lost in his memories that he didn’t see someone sitting beside him until that person poked him.

 

“Hello!“ Chanyeol got scared and flinched a little which eventually led to dropping his book, losing his page as well. “Oh, I’m sorry for scaring you. It wasn’t my intention“ Chanyeol angrily grabbed his book, not looking at the other person on purpose. “I haven’t seen you before… are you new?” Chanyeol ignored that too; he wasn’t in the mood for talking at all now that he lost his page. The other person was not giving up though. He wanted to start a conversation with the other male. “what are you reading?” and like before, Chanyeol ignored that as well. “you are not much of a talker, are you? The boy sighed and stood up “I guess I’ll have to go alone to the library” This caught Chanyeol’s attention. The boy looked his age but was not that tall compared to him. He had droopy eyes and a friendly face. “so you like books huh.. do you perhaps want to join me?” Chanyeol didn’t know this person, but he can’t say no to an invitation to go to the library.

 

“My name is Baekhyun, what is your name?” Chanyeol who was still angry at the male didn’t want to say his name, but eventually, Baekhyun would find out if the rumour about the village is true. “Chanyeol” the other male stopped “wow, your voice is so deep” and smiled at him before continuing walking. Chanyeol found this guy already weird and too energetic. However, he had to admit; it reminded him of his friends who were always loud. Maybe they could be friends.

 

“so we are finally here. I present you the library” Chanyeol looked up to see the library. It wasn’t huge like the library he first went too, but it was a library, and that was enough. “So, what kind of books do you like? Personally, I like fantasy novels” Chanyeol looked at the male. They shared something in common, Chanyeol too liked fantasy books the most. “judging from your expression, I’d say that you like fantasy books too, which is nice! Oh, and the fantasy novels are over there!” Chanyeol walked to it, where Baekhyun pointed too. What he didn’t notice was that Baekhyun was looking at him. While Chanyeol was searching for books, Baekhyun walked to the piano; he always played on. Chanyeol heard noises from a keyboard and looked to see who was playing the piano. It was none other than Baekhyun himself.

 

“Come Chanyeol!” the boy said energetically. Chanyeol honestly loved the sound of the piano, and that’s why he learned to play it since his parents were rich, they could afford piano lessons from a professional, so yes, you can say that Chanyeol was pretty good and what he heard now was pretty bad. Baekhyun touched random tiles, and Chanyeol honestly wanted the male to stop. “is it that awful?” the other male asked. Was it so obvious, it was never his intention to make Baekhyun sad, and he was feeling terrible right now. Baekhyun sighed “I know that it’s awful. I can’t play the piano, but I have always wanted to… just that my parents can’t afford piano lessons” Chanyeol felt sad for Baekhyun. Unlike Baekhyun Chanyeol was able to learn to play the piano and he is glad that he was able to. There was an awkward silence before Chanyeol spoke: “I-I can teach you..“ Baekhyun looked up to Chanyeol and smiled. “you would?” seeing the excitement in Baekhyun eyes made Chanyeol feel something weird in his stomach. “yes“ the fact that Baekhyun hugged him was very unexpected. Chanyeol didn’t know what to do and just did nothing. He had to admit that the smaller boy smelled nice though.

 

When the smaller boy let go, he kind of got flustered. “oh, I’m sorry for being so direct. I guess you are not used to skinship, are you? Chanyeol blushed. Indeed he wasn’t a fan of skinship not even with his friends. “it’s okay... I’ll have to get used to it” Baekhyun looked up. Judging by his expression he was shocked. “do you mean.. that you want to be friends with me?” to be honest the expression on Baekhyun’s face was really cute, he couldn’t say no, after all, it would be nice to have some friends.

 

“Yes... I-I mean if you want to” Baekhyun smiled at him. “of course Chanyeol! Let’s meet up tomorrow here in the library so that we can start our piano lessons, okay? The male said energetically. “okay”

 

 

Maybe it wouldn’t be so hard to make friends after all.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

AN: I hope you liked this chapter :) if you liked it please comment so I can know what you think of this story. Also my apologies I was supposed to update the first chapter yesterday, but I forgot.