Moving on

Sugar

Jinki swallowed thickly as he set the haphazard box of picture frames and books on the counter. He hadn’t looked at it since he had thrown them into the box from around the apartment a week after Kibum left. He frowned as he picked up the one on top up, noticing the wood of the frame was chipped. The photo was of them at Kibum’s high school graduation. Jinki forgot how happy they had used to be. He carefully took the photo out and placed it face down on the counter before picking another frame out. A slow smile pulled on his face as his thumb moved across the glass gently.

 

It was them in the Maldives. Kibum’s smile was so big and beautiful, hair blowing in the wind. His hand was tight on Jinki’s waist, tugging them close. They had gone as a honeymoon of sorts when he had graduated from college. Jinki wiped his eye quickly, but he didn’t take the photo out and place it away. He laid the frame on the opposite counter. He then continued through the box. There were one from high school, others of them throughout college. He didn't fail to notice how the number of photos decreased dramatically after Kibum graduated college.

 

He neatly placed them back into the box and closed it. On the front he sharpied, Kibum, before placing the box near the kitchen archway with the big box of other things Kibum had left in the apartment. Including things like clothes, anniversary presents that held too much meaning, and random items. He was heading to finish packing the last of his bedroom when he heard Jonghyun and Minho’s voices coming down the hall. He stopped and smiles when they returned through the door.

 

“Sorry we’re late. Someone couldn’t open the moving trucks door.” Minho glanced at Jonghyun who was actively glaring at him.

 

“Not everyone has a body as long as a string bean.”

 

Jinki laughed quietly, “It’s okay. I’m just thankful for the help.”

 

“Of course,” Minho glanced around the room, “What’s next, boss?”

 

He gestured toward the small stacks of Kibum boxes. “Can you call Kibum and see if he wants them dropped off or if he wants to come get them?”

 

Jonghyun softly smiled, “Yeah, do you have a specific time you want him to come get them if he wants to pick them up?”

 

“It doesn’t matter.” Jinki shrugged and turned to continue toward his bedroom. It was then he noticed the lap sitting on the ground near the window. “Ask him about the lamp too Please. He’ll know what it means.”

 

“Okay,” Jonghyun pulled out his phone and slipped into the hall outside as Minho followed Jinki.

 

When they reached the room Minho found Jinki standing in the mostly empty room with his back toward the door. Before he could ask what was wrong, Jinki softly spoke, “It was only ever this empty when we moved in. This was only supposed to be a starting point… six years ago when we signed that lease together, only ever supposed to be the starting line, somewhere to begin to grow together. I always thought when I moved out I’d have Kibum next to be helping go into the next step of our lives. I miss having a partner, but I’m more upset over all the memories we made here are beginning to dwindle.”

 

“Moving out is what’s best for you. Your new place is so much nicer. You’ll finally have that full kitchen you’ve wanted since the dorm at college.”

Jinki hummed in agreement as he glanced over his shoulder at him, “I know that, but it doesn’t change that all this feels so empty.”

 

“You’ll move into your new place and begin growing your own life, your own memories.” Minho walked in front of him and smiled, “Think of all the possibilities. The uncertainty of all this is the good part. You can make of all this however you want to.”

 

Jonghyun’s voice interrupted their conversation as he approached, turning the corner into the room with a smile, “Kibum says he’ll come by after work.”

 

Jinki flashed a smile, “Thanks.”

 

“Hmm so what did I interrupt?”

 

“Oh I-”

 

“Jinki’s being a little emo right now.” Minho finished for him, “So I was thinking we could talk about our idea.”

 

“Our idea?”

 

Minho put his hands on Jinki’s shoulders as he turned him to face Jonghyun completely as he smiled, “Yes, our idea. Remember?”

 

Jonghyun studied his partner’s face for a long moment before it dawned on him. “OH, Our idea.”

 

“You are both scaring me.” Jinki commented as he crossed his arms, glancing at Minho over his shoulder and Jonghyun standing before him.

 

“Oh nonsense,” The man before him tutted before continuing, “One of my coworkers recently came across a few baby rabbits and we were thinking that with your new apartment allowing pets, that maybe you’d be interested in a new type of companionship.”

 

“A rabbit?” Jinki shook his head, “I don’t know the first thing about taking care of one, Jonghyun.”

 

“Just think about it.” Minho commented as he pulled away to survey the room. “What else is there in here?”

 

“Open the closet.” Jinki laughed a little as the contents of said closet fell straight on the tall man. “Slowly.”

 

Minho turned, head covered by a deflated pool flotation device and glared, “It’s a little late for that.”

 

Jinki pulled a box from the small stack to the right of them, and plopped it next to him. He flashed a little smile as he pulled the item from the top of his head. “Just this and a couple things in the kitchen, and taking the prepared boxes in the living room down to the truck and we’re done.”

 

Jonghyun began picking up objects and raised his eyebrow at the pool noodle. “Why do you even have so many pool related things?”

 

“Kibum’s parents’ new house has a pool.” Jinki hummed as he focused on folding a sweater that had fallen and he missed when he packed the clothes up. “I guess that can be put in the Kibum stuff too.”

 

As he walked away Jonghyun swatted Minho’s with the pool noodle, laughing as the taller man grumbled. Soon they were finished packing what he wanted to keep, having a pile of Kibum’s things and a pile to donate. Jonghyun helped by packing the last of the kitchen things as Minho and Jinki worked on packing the truck full of the closed boxes. The kitchen only had enough things for 2 decent sized boxes, and as soon as those were put into the truck and the door pulled down and locked, Jinki turned to his friends. “Don’t you two have dinner to get to?”

 

“But Kibum-”

 

“We don’t know when he’ll show up exactly. I’ll wait for him.” Jinki’s tummy rumbled and he pouted. “Right after I get Chinese just down the street.”

 

“You sure?” Minho softly asked.

 

“Yeah,” Jinki smiled easily, “You’ve been more than enough help today. Go, so you aren’t late.”

 

Jonghyun quickly hugged him before slipping his hand into Minho’s and walking toward their car up the road. Jinki pocketed his keys as he headed down the street toward the chinese place on the corner. He quickly got his food and headed back, taking the elevator and unlocking the door for the last time. He found a spot on the floor in what used to be the living room, set his food out, and after finding a show on his phone to watch, began to eat while he waited.

 

There was a knock on the door half way through his show, but before he could call out it was open whoever it was pushed it open. Kibum carefully closed it behind him, and smiled over at him as he slid his hands into his pockets. “Hey.”

 

“Hi,” Jinki pushed off the ground, tossing his empty drink cup into the bag with the rest of the trash. “The boxes are just right there. The lamp too if you want it.”

 

“Ah,” Kibum glanced to the right of him for a moment before looking back up at him, “I didn’t think I left so much stuff here.”

 

“Oh,” Jinki hummed quietly as he leaned against the kitchen counter. “There’s some things you gave me in there as well, pictures and things.”

 

Kibum swallowed thickly before kneeling, opening the flap to the top box and frowning a little when he spotted all the photos. “You sure you don’t want these?”

 

Jinki shook his head, “I’m sure.” He watched as Kibum reached in and pulled one out. It was one from the photo booths at the mall from the length of it, and the small smile on the man’s face made Jinki’s heart hurt a little.

 

“This was almost a decade ago.” Kibum softly stated, “I thought we’d have lost it over the years.”

 

He held it out for Jinki to look at, and their fingers brushed for a moment as he took it. Back in his junior year of high school, when Kibum had asked him out for shakes, they had gone to the mall right after. The last one of the four was Kibum kissing his cheek. Jinki’s eyes closed for a moment before they opened as he handed it back. “Time changes a lot of things.”

 

He gave a little smile as the photo was put back, the box closed and he straightened again. “That it does. Thanks for calling. I appreciate it.”

 

“Do you need help to your car?”

 

“Oh, I don’t think so,”

 

“You sure?” Jinki raised an eyebrow, “Even the almighty Kibum can’t carry all these at once.”

 

Kibum softened a little, “Alright. Thank you.”

 

Jinki placed a small box on top of the large one Kibum was already carrying before grabbing the last box. He followed him out carefully, not minding much if the door was left open slightly. When they got to the car Woohyun was leaning against it. Kibum turned to Jinki slightly, “You can just place it on the hood if you’d like.”

 

As the he slid it on the car he noticed Woohyun moving to open the truck for Kibum. Jinki panicked a little when he noticed the man walking towards him. “Have we met before?”

 

“I’m a friend of Minho’s.”

 

“Oh, right!” Woohyun smiled then, “I didn’t know you and Kibum dated.”

 

“For some time yes.” Jinki replied quietly, before turning his attention to Kibum, moving to pass him the last box. “See you around Kibum, Thanks for picking it all up.”

 

“Bye Jinki.” Kibum softly said with a sweet smile as he closed the trunk. He gazed at him returning into the building for a moment before Woohyun’s voice brought him back.

 

“Is he the one you dated for 9 years or something?” Woohyun repeated himself as they slipped into their respective seats.

 

“Mhmm.” Kibum hummed, suddenly uncomfortable with the conversation.

 

“Why did you break up again?”

 

“Time changes things.” Was his reply, and he didn’t acknowledge the man when he asked what that exactly meant. Being back in that apartment stirred feelings inside him he had long ago pushed down and forgotten. He focused on driving across town to their own apartment, trying to get how good Jinki looked again out of his head.

-----