Gone

Sugar

 

The light of the candles flickered against the wall as the wax continued to drip down the side and over the lip of the holder. Jinki frowned deeply as he glanced at his phone again. With a deep sigh, he pushed away from the table and blew the candles out. The light switch was flipped before he worked on putting away the food he had set on the table. Once all of it was put away in containers and shoved into the fridge he put away the candlestick holders and folded the tablecloth neatly. He placed them in the hall closet on his way to change. No use in having nice clothes if the man it was done for completely forgot about the dinner. He pulled on a random hoodie and a pair of sweats before heading to clean the dishes.

He was beginning to dry the big pots and pans he had cleaned when he heard the code being pushed in and the door clicking open.

Jinki leans against the wall leading into the living room, arms crossed over his chest showing just how annoyed he was. "I think you're forgetting something Kibum."

"Hmm?" Kibum slowly looks over at him and smiles, "Oh, sorry. Hey Baby."

Jinki doesn't return the smile, his face remains blank, but his eyes are furious. "That's not what I meant. We had plans tonight Kibum. Don't you remember?" When he realized that Kibum honestly didn’t remember all his anger left his voice, just leaving sadness. He sighs deeply, lip pulling between his teeth for a moment before he looks back up at him and softly, almost dejectedly says, "The dinner Kibum."

"Oh ." Kibum hisses. "I'm sorry, Baby. I didn't mean to forget."

The corner of Jinki's lips lifts for a moment, "You said that for the last year Kibum after every date night or dinner you happened to miss. Tonight was supposed to be you making up for it. You promised."

"Work was just so hectic and they took me out for drinks and-"

Jinki interrupts him before he can finish the thought however, "You didn't come to dinner I prepared for hours for, to go ing drinking?"

The fact Jinki cursed shocks Kibum for a moment before he’s speaking again. "I was tired Jinki. I'm stressed at work. I'm sorry I missed the dinner. I didn't do it on purpose."

"You work just as much as I do, but I remembered. I invested time into it because I ing miss you. I haven't had more than a few minutes with you these last couple months other than sleeping in the same damn bed." Jinki fumes. "You haven't done anything with me other than sleep in that in about a year. Do you even remember what the I look like without clothes on?"

"Jinki-"

"We used to be so in love we were late for class or work, because we couldn't keep our hands off each other, and now I'm lucky if I get a kiss goodnight. You didn’t even say hello to me when you came in tonight, didn’t acknowledge me at all and I know you could hear that I was home." Jinki in a rushed breath. "This dinner meant a lot to me Kibum. I made your favorite, I went across town to get the special wine you like after work that is only ever sold in that one stupid store and I cooked for a good two hours to make sure I had it ready. I'm tired of being forgotten. If I hadn't reminded you, you wouldn't have remembered at all. All I get from you are excuses. Excuses only get you so far before they aren’t enough anymore."

"It’s just a dinner." He continues, "We can make it up some other time."

"Just a dinner, huh?" Jinki quietly says, all anger draining out of him and all that’s left is heartache. "Does that mean we're just friends?"

Kibum laughs a little then, thinking its a joke, and after taking his feet from the top of the glass coffee table, he pushed off the couch to approach him, "Oh come on, Baby. I said I was sorry." But when he reaches for Jinki's waist the man steps away.

"But you don't mean it."

Kibum’s anger flares, "What more do you ing want from me? I'm exhausted. I have no energy for much else. Time changes things. You can't expect me to remember everything."

"I want your attention dammit." Jinki almost yells. "Is that too much to ask from a man I've been with for more than 8 years? Some ing attention. I'm not asking you to do much, just show the hell up and have dinner with me. Hold my hand or kiss me just because. I expected you to remember one thing. And you couldn't even do that for me."

"I am so ing tired of you getting upset over honest to god mistakes. I forgot a stupid dinner, but Jinki. People make mistakes and you're supposed to forgive them."

"When you make mistakes you're also supposed to feel guilty and be apologetic." Jinki shakes his head. "My feelings are important Kibum. What I'm upset about shouldn't ing matter. The fact I'm upset should, and all you're doing is belittling how I'm feeling and making me feel horrible for being upset for being stood up. Do you even want to be here with me?"

"At the moment, honestly, no."

And it's like Kibum physically hit him, he flinches back so bad. He swallows thickly, trying to keep the tears down. "If that's how you feel. I'm sorry I interrupted your relaxing time. Consider me gone."

He grabs his keys on the table by the door and it slams close behind him as he heads toward the elevator to go down to his car. He tries so hard to keep his emotions in check, but as the elevator doors close behind him the tears are beginning to fall. He wraps his arms around himself and tries to take a deep breath.

He drives around until his vision is too blurry for him to see. When he goes home, expecting Kibum to be there wanting to try and talk things out like they always had before, he’s nowhere to be seen. Their bedroom is in disarray and when he returns into the living room the lamp is knocked over onto the couch cushion. He swallows thickly before walking around and carefully picking the lamp up, holding it in his lap for a moment as he sits. His bottom lip is between his teeth, breathing still shaky from crying earlier before he drove back home, and hands trembling slightly as he ran one over the rough edge of the lamps texture.

He pulls his phone out and quickly calls Kibum, but it only rings and rings until he’s taken to voicemail. “Hey, Babe, I don’t know where you went, but I’m sorry okay? Please come home so we can talk about what was said. I love you.”

It’s not until he stay up the entire night does he realize one of their suitcases is missing. Dread filled Jinki’s chest with each missed call and unreplied text.. Did they break up? Was Kibum going to come home?

-----