Chapter 5

Call Me Baby

 

“What do I even wear!?” Chanyeol had said, flopping onto his bed. He looked over at his phone, which he had thrown across the white duvet. Sehun was on speaker.

“What do you mean, what do you wear? You’ve gone on dates before Chanyeol,” Sehun had responded amidst sounds of crunching. “What did you wear on other dates?”

“This isn’t like other dates! He’s Korea’s hero, Sehun! This isn’t dating just anyone,” he had replied burying his face in his hands. “Ugh. I didn’t even want to go on this date. This is all your fault.”

“You’re going to thank me later,” Sehun had said. “Why don’t you wear your black button down and black dress pants. Don’t bother with a suit jacket or tie. You’ll look classy.”

“Fine,” Chanyeol had replied.

And that is how is Chanyeol found himself standing at the entrance to Mingles at 8:15 PM dressed head to toe in black, his bright red hair very vibrant and visible. He took a deep breath and approached the reservations desk.

“How can I help you, sir?” The woman behind the counter asked. She smiled.

“I’m here to meet someone actually. Byun Baekhyun. Do you know if he’s arrived? I’m a bit late.” Chanyeol responded, meeting her eyes for a brief moment before diverting them to the floor.

She smiled again. “Yes, sir. He just arrived. I’ll show you to the table.” She made her way out from behind the small wooden podium and Chanyeol followed her across the restaurant, taking in the sleek modern design. They quickly arrived at a small secluded table in the back.

“Here you are, sir,” she said and then she quickly turned and left.

Chanyeol nodded after her and then turned his attention to his new dinner partner. He smiled, placing a hand on the back of his neck. “I’m so sorry I’m late,” he blurted out before catching himself. “I’m Park Chanyeol.”

“I thought I was being stood up,” Baekhyun responded, and Chanyeol could feel himself start to melt. Baekhyun looked amazing in his long-sleeved pink button-down, which he had buttoned all the way up; his brown hair had been swept messily to the side in a much more casual style. His voice was silky and his smile, even though Chanyeol noted that it looked forced, stretched to his eyes. He looked Chanyeol up and down, and then gestured to the chair across from him.

“No! I wouldn’t....no...I just had some trouble figuring out what to wear,” Chanyeol said, feeling a slight blush cross his face as he sat down.

Baekhyun nodded slowly, not taking his eyes off of Chanyeol as if he was trying to take him apart piece by piece and figure out his inner workings. “Well...it’s nice to meet you Chanyeol. I think you look very nice.”

“You too...meet you that is...not that you don’t look nice too. I mean you always look nice...not that I always know what you look like...it’s just...nice to meet you,” Chanyeol blurted out. He shook his head as the blush on his face began to creep up to his ears. He buried his head in his hands.

Baekhyun chuckled, his forced smile finally relaxing. “Don’t worry about it,” he said.

“I’m sorry. I should have known the evening would go like this. I didn’t even really want to come,” Chanyeol muttered.

“You didn’t?” He replied, confused. “But didn’t--”

Chanyeol groaned, pulling his head up from his hands, but he still didn’t look at Baekhyun. “My friend stole my phone and responded to your messages. I--”

“I see...” Baekhyun said, relaxing back into his chair. “My friend did the same.”

“I’m sorry?” Chanyeol’s eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. “Your friend sent me the text?”

“Yes. He insisted that I thank the person responsible for my new jacket. I really do like it. So, I sent a simple text...dinner, however, was his idea.”

Chanyeol shrugged. “Well, I’m glad you like the jacket. I’m sorry about all of this. ”

“Don’t be. The jacket was very clever,” Baekhyun said, a smile tugging at his lips. “The first proposal of its kind that I’ve ever gotten.”

Chanyeol laughed. “Really?”

“Yes, really. It’s always the same. Stuffed toys or flowers. Never something as practical as this.”

“I do like to be original,” Chanyeol said, finally bringing his nerves under control. He smiled.

Baekhyun chuckled. “Well, Park Chanyeol. Since we are already here, and you don’t appear to a rabid crazy fan why don’t we enjoy this as a proper date? Appease both of our friends who thought this would be a good idea.”

“I’d like that,” Chanyeol replied.

“Good, then let’s order,” Baekhyun said, flagging down a waiter.