Chapter 19

Call Me Baby

Two weeks had passed since Chanyeol had spoken with Jongdae, had laid everything out on the line. He hoped that Jongdae had relayed the message, but when no text or phone call from Baekhyun came the following day or the day after or the following week, Chanyeol assumed that Baekhyun had made his choice and moved on from their relationship.

But tonight, Chanyeol had been determined to not let his lingering sadness interfere. It was one of the rare times that Chanyeol’s band played Club FF, usually, they went on when a band canceled, but tonight it was all them. The lights blazed down on the stage, causing small beads of sweat to pool around Chanyeol’s eyes. He wiped them away, while he waited for Kyungsoo to announce the last song of the set.

It had been a great night. Despite what Sehun continued to call Chanyeol’s “heartsickness,” every song was perfect; no missed chord changes, no feedback from the amp, and no emotional breakdowns on stage. Chanyeol had begun to finally accept that Baekhyun was gone from his life almost as quickly as he entered.

The song came to a close and the crowd erupted into cheers. Chants of Kyungsoo’s and Sehun’s names filled the air. The band stood to take a quick bow, the applause and cheering growing louder, when Chanyeol saw it, sitting on the edge of the stage. A jacket. A black Supreme jacket.

He stared at it, frozen for a moment, before looking around for the rest of his band members who had all already disappeared from the stage. He reached down to pick it up, examining it closely. It was his size.

No. No. They hadn’t spoken in over two weeks. This couldn’t be from...could it? He scrambled to check the pockets, if it was from him, something would be there. Finding a piece of yellow legal paper carefully folded inside the right one. He unfolded it and written in very neat handwriting was a phone number; one he recognized. Pulling out his mobile, he carefully searched through his contact list and hit the call button.

“Hello?” Baekhyun said hesitantly on the other end of the line.

“Hi,” Chanyeol responded, scanning the attendees at the club.  

“I didn’t think you’d call, to be honest.”

“Why not?” He asked. Did Jongdae not relay his message? How did Baekhyun not know what he felt? He had laid everything on the table for Jongdae. Goddamit. His scan of the bar became more frantic. Finally, he spotted Baekhyun sitting at the bar, nursing a glass of something pinkish. He tucked phone under his ear and made his way over.

“Twenty voicemails and the only response was a text message followed by two weeks of nothing...Because I am, as Jongdae reminded me several times, an idiot. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I wanted to apologize the moment he told me what I did. I tried. But, you wouldn’t answer. I’m sorry. You were--are someone very special to me and if you never want to see me again, I’ll just have to live with that.” As Chanyeol stood behind him, the sound of his own voice echoed through the phone.

Baekhyun turned around, a smile growing steadily on his face. “Chanyeol.”

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said, leaning down and pressing a kiss to his lips. He pulled away. “Listen to me. You’re not the only idiot, as Yoora was so kind to remind me. But I made my choice a long time ago. I’ll always be here, no matter what choice you made, cheering you on as I always have.”

Baekhyun smiled, trying to resist a giggle, but failing. “If you’re an idiot, you’re my idiot. I...I want you to be mine...for everyone to see. Is that ok?”   

Chanyeol leaned down, wrapping one hand around Baekhyun’s waist and the other around the back of his head, and pulled him closer, pressing their lips together, igniting a fire in Chanyeol’s belly.

“I take that as a ‘yes’ kiss?” Baekhyun breathed the moment the two had separated.

“Yes,” Chanyeol replied, his smile all teeth. “Now go win that gold at Worlds.”

Baekhyun blushed. “Only if you’re with me.”

“Of course,” Chanyeol replied. “Of course.”