Chapter 2

Call Me Baby

“Did you see that?” Chanyeol cooed, rewinding the YouTube video again. He was on the floor of his living room sitting close enough to the television any mother would have yelled at him about losing his eyesight, but this was his apartment and he didn’t care.

“For the hundredth time, yes. You showed it to me when you got back from the competition, two days ago when you were feeling sad, and twice this morning. I saw it, but by all means, show it to me again,” Kyungsoo said, absentmindedly scratching Chanyeol’s corgi, Baekhyunnie’s head. Kyungsoo still couldn’t believe that Chanyeol had gotten himself a dog and then had named the poor creature after a figure skater of all things.

“It’s such a perfect name for a corgi,” Chanyeol had said the moment after he had fallen in love with the puppy at the shelter and decided he was taking it home with him as soon as possible.

“And what will you do if you ever decide you don’t like Byun Baekhyun as a skater?” Kyungsoo had said. He thought it was a valid point at least.

“That won’t happen,” Chanyeol had responded and the situation was settled. Chanyeol had taken the puppy home that very day, stopping on the way home to buy puppy supplies.

That was three years ago and Chanyeol was right. He hadn’t grown tired of Byun Baekhyun yet and he made it a point to make sure Kyungsoo knew it too. Or at least it felt that way to Kyungsoo.

“Ok. Watch,” Chanyeol said, eyes still focused on the television. “Here’s where he leads up to what is supposed to be his triple flip-triple toe loop combination, but instead of the second jump being a toe loop, he makes it a Salchow. It’s amazing!”

“Great! I’m so happy for him.”

“You’re only saying that so that I stop with the recap.”

“Yes. Yes, I am. You’ve only been talking about this for the last week. You saw him do this in person and you’ve shown me at least twelves times. I know what comes next. I don’t want to relive it anymore. Can we please go? I want lunch sometime this year, Chanyeol. I don’t really care about how good your boyfriend is at landing spins.”

“First, you land jumps not spins, but I think you already know that and are just being awful. Second, he’s not my boyfriend.”

“First...I don’t care. Please. Food. Now.”

“But, one more video.”

“No, Chanyeol. If you watch another video, I’m leaving without you. I have things to do today,” Kyungsoo said, putting his foot down.

“Fine,” Chanyeol responded, exiting the YouTube app and turning off the TV. He grabbed his phone off the coffee table behind him and looked to Kyungsoo who was still sitting curled up in the corner of the couch with Baekhyunnie. “I’m ready.”

“Are you really?”

“Yes. Oh my god.”

“Ok. Let’s go then.”

They waved goodbye to Baekhyunnie and then made their way to the old beat up blue pickup truck Chanyeol had driven since high school.

Chanyeol had let Kyungsoo pick the restaurant for lunch in the car, which as he stared at the menu may have been a mistake. Brera. Italian. He had his fair share of pasta and pizza whenever he was working part time at his family’s restaurant. He didn’t want to eat it when he was out with a friend for lunch as well, but apparently Kyungsoo didn’t care.

“You know we could have just had Italian at my parent’s place, right?”

“Yes, I’m aware of that. I just didn’t want to eat there again.”

“But, it’s free if we eat there.”

“So?”

Unwilling to argue any further, Chanyeol ordered a salad and Kyungsoo ordered some pasta. Once the waiter had gone, Chanyeol pulled out his phone and began scrolling through Twitter and Instagram feeds, ignoring Kyungsoo’s scowls.

“Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo started.

“Yeah,” he responded, not looking up from his phone.

“How do you--”

“HOLY !” Chanyeol yelled. “HOLY. . Holy .” He covered his mouth, both of his eyes wide as he stared at the phone clutched tightly in his hand.

“What happened?” Kyungsoo sighed, the question slightly mushed from where his hand rested against his cheek.

“This is joke. It has to be a joke. This isn’t real. Definitely not real. Nope.”

Chanyeol continued to stare at his phone, unblinking and unmoving save for his rhythmic breathing. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

“You aren’t going to ask me what it is?” Chanyeol finally asked after two full minutes of motionless silence.

“I don’t know what I was thinking,” Kyungsoo replied, rolling his eyes.

“You’re the WORST!!”

“You’ve known this for a long time and yet you still hang out with me. It’s your own fault at this point.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Not that you care anyway, but Baekhyun posted this photo on Instagram! Do you see it! DO YOU SEE IT! THAT’S...THAT’S….” He turned his phone around so Kyungsoo could see the photo as his speech became incoherent excited sounding babbles and swoons.

Chanyeol couldn’t keep still. His entire body buzzed with new energy, and Kyungsoo struggled to see the image clearly on the shaking phone until he steadied Chanyeol’s hand. There on the screen was Byun Baekhyun, Grand Prix Gold Medalist and Korean National Champion, skating on the ice with his leg pulled over his head wearing the jacket Chanyeol had so carefully picked out because Chanyeol thought it would accentuate his slim figure, and then had thrown on the ice. The caption on the photo read, “My fans give the best presents. Supreme Jacket for the Win!”

“So he did get it,” Kyungsoo said, settling against the back of the chair.

“Um...yeah!! Clearly he got the jacket. HE’S WEARING IT! OH MY GOD! I--I--I--”

“But what about the note?” Kyungsoo interrupted. “You did put it in the pocket, right?”

“Of course I did!” Chanyeol yelled.

Kyungsoo shrugged. “Ok. I’m just saying that while he’s wearing the jacket, but he hasn’t called you.”

“Maybe he hasn’t found it yet,” Chanyeol insisted.

“That, or maybe it’s something else. Maybe--”

“No, he definitely just hasn’t found it yet,” Chanyeol replied, a frown pulling at the edges of his smile. How could Baekhyun wear the jacket but ignore his note?