When I'm with you...

These Words Written

Author's notes:

Heyya there peeps. I know, it’s weird seeing an author’s notes up here for a change. Just wanted to say, this chap is dedicated wholly to Moonsun ;) hope you enjoy!

**Also omg, that Moonsun vlive tho,, they're so soft im actually crying rn. Yong's finger heart uGH byulyi, why cant u just accept her love. What  wonderful way to start my morning, today's gonna be a good day, yeah? Let's always think positively like that.

Now, without further ado ~

 

 

-----

The adrenaline in Moonbyul’s body spikes as soon as she sees Yongsun’s name appear on her screen, indicating an incoming call.

“Hello?”

Moonbyul answers the phone curiously and a rush of anxiety surges through her body. This is the first time Yongsun’s ever called her. (They’d only ever communicated via text.)

“Hi.” Byul can hear Yongsun smile through the phone and suddenly all of the nervousness she feels in her body dissipates into nothingness. It’s crazy how fast her natural self resurfaces with ease.

“Yes? May I help you with something?” She says playfully.

“Well, you mentioned you were hungry.” Solar comments in a similar tone.

“Yes… I did… And?”

“And so I guess I thought I should ask if you wanted to grab something to eat with me if you were free.” She continues on.

“Wow,” A cheeky grin surfaces on Byul’s face, bringing out the indents of her nose muscles. “I’m getting an invitation out to dinner with the Kim Yongsun?” Today must be my lucky day.”

“Well you seemed to be pretty depressed when I didn’t invite you to the mall…”

“Ah, because... I feel sad whenever Yongsun does something fun without me.” Moonbyul pouts even though Solar can’t see it through the phone.

“I just went shopping, it wasn’t that fun Byul-ah.”

“Going anywhere with you is fun.” Byul states simply but sweetly.

“Yah! What am I going to do with you. I’ll just throw you on a pan and fry you since you’re so greasy.”

“So you’re saying you want to cook and have me for dinner? You have a dirty dirty mind, Kim Yongsun. I swear, what a crazy ert.”

“I never said that!!” Byul can hear the brunette scream through the phone and she snickers at the outburst. Teasing this Yeba was always a lot of fun.

“Ok, but you didn’t deny the ert part. I’m jotting that down in my notes for future references.”

“Yah!! I swear I’m just a ert, not an insane one!!” Yongsun whines and Moonbyul dies of laughter. “Moon Byulyi, just watch.” She says then, sounding upset. “Keep teasing me and I promise I’m going to hang up on you and revoke my invitation.”

“Ahhhh, okay okay, calm down please. Forgive me.” Byul says charmingly. She takes a deep breath to regain her composure from her short laughing fit.

Moonbyul hears Yongsun hmph, through the phone, then the opening and shutting of a car door.

“Text me your address, and be ready in 15 minutes.” Yongsun says firmly. There’s a pause and both ends of the line are quiet for a moment. Then in a calmer voice, she hears Yongsun say, ‘See you soon’, before hanging up.

Moonbyul pulls the phone away from her cheek and stares at it a while longer before jumping for joy. She shoots a fist into the air, unable to contain her giddiness.

It’s not a date, it’s not a date, she tries to tell herself, but can’t stop the way her body buzzes with excitement. She texts Yongsun the address to her apartment before running back into her room to change into more appropriate pants.

-----

Solar pulls into the guest parking lot outside of the campus apartments before shooting a text to Moonbyul.

Yongddonnie (5:02 pm)

i’ve arrived…

Moonstar ☆ (5:03 pm)

Okie

Yongddonnie (5:03 pm)

hurry up b4 i change my mind n leave u

Moonstar ☆ (5:03 pm)

So mean.. ㅠㅠ

It takes Moonbyul 3 minutes after her last text to get to Solar’s car. Yongsun unlocks her doors when she sees the figure of the girl jogging to her vehicle in her peripheral vision. She’s in the same red sweater and cap in the selca she sent earlier, along with some ripped black jeans.

Byul opens the door and slides into the passenger seat with ease, strapping the seat belt over her chest before turning to face Yongsun.

“Hey there, beautiful.” She winks.

Yongsun feels her face heat up at the greeting, so she turns her gaze towards the front of the car to hide it. Instead of replying to it, she clears and cuts to the chase.

“What are you feeling like today?”

“Happy, now that I’m with Yongsun.” Right. What else should she expect from Byul?

Solar wants to question why the gods are tormenting her like this. It’s not fair. She wants to cry in frustration for having to battle her emotions for Moon Byulyi alone. Yongsun rephrases the question.

“I meant, what do you want to eat today? Do you have any suggestions?”

Moonbyul shrugs. “I’ll like whatever Yongsun likes.”

Solar isn’t getting anywhere with this , she realizes. Instead of continuing this back and forth repartee, she settles it once and for all.

“Tteokbokki it is.”

--------

“What do you mean you don’t like spicy food? What’re we doing here then?”

“You didn’t hear me correctly; I said I don’t like spicy food, but I like tteokbokki.”

Moonbyul snickers, shaking her head. “You’re a weird one, you know that Kim Yongsun?”

She’s in the midst of breaking apart her chopsticks when a large bowl of steaming hot tteokbokki is placed in front of them. Moonbyul watches Yongsun’s eyes widen with excitement.

“Be careful, it’s hot.” The waitress says politely before taking her leave.

“Kamsahamnida ~” The two say in return. Yongsun already has her chopsticks digging into the dish by the time the waitress’s back is turned.

“Yong-” Moonbyul tries to stop the girl, but it’s too late.

“Ai!” Yongsun yelps, bringing a hand to . The piece of rice cake falls onto the small plate in front of her and rolls a few centimeters before coming to a stop.  

“Aish, she just said it was hot, what’s wrong with you yeba?” Moonbyul scolds the other similarly like a parent does to a child, then reaches over to pick up the rice cake with her chopsticks. She brings it to her lips and blows on it for a moment before bringing it back over the table towards Yongsun. “Ah.” She says, and Yongsun opens. Byul watches as her lips wrap around her chopsticks, and reprimands herself for having inappropriate thoughts about her friend and being so damn gay.

After a moment of watching Yongsun chew, Byul seems pleased. “Better?” Yongsun nods shyly in response, evidently embarrassed.

The second time Solar picks up a piece, she blows on it before putting it into .

“So,” Byul pipes up suddenly, as if remembering something. She grabs a tteokbokki for herself and guides it to her lips. “You never told me when your birthday was like you said you would.”

Solar nearly chokes. Or, well, she does.

Moonbyul jumps from her seat in shock and is at the girl’s side in no less than a second. Yongsun is in the midst of a coughing fit; she hacks violently and places a hand over her chest, thumping against it over and over. Byul holds a cup of water up to her lips instructing her to quickly drink it, so she does. Yongsun takes a few gulps before raising a hand indicating she’s had enough.

“What was that all about? Are you okay?” Moonbyul’s says, voice laced with concern. She’s still leaning over by Yongsun’s side and Solar nods, calmly wiping with the napkin that rested beside her plate.

“Sorry, I’m okay.” she says, “I was kind of caught off guard.”

“Why? I didn’t say anything crazy.” Moonbyul states. “And you said you’d tell me the next time you saw me... but you didn’t.”

“Yes, yes, I know.” She looks up at Moonbyul apologetically. “ I had forgotten. Sorry.”

“So much for a woman of secrecy. You’re just a forgetful yeba.”

Moonbyul brushes off the fact that Solar forgot, and sinks her back into her seat on the other side. She forgot about it anyways too. “So... when is it?”

Yongsun giggles shyly across the table, and ducks her head, hiding from Moonbyul. Byul looks forward, perplexed, but waits patiently.

“It’s actually today…”

What.

Moonbyul’s mind tries to form a response, but is having trouble registering the words that just came out of Solar’s mouth. She stares at the girl dumbfoundedly, blinks a few times, then sputters, “T-today?” Solar nods, a cheeky, shy grin breaks out on her face and, as if connected, the corners of her eyes crinkle. Moonbyul leans forward in her seat, “You’re kidding right?”

Yongsun shakes her head. “Nope. Today is February 21st right??”

Moonbyul’s eyebrows come together in deep thought.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I dunno.” Yongsun shrugs as she reaches for another piece of tteokbokki. She swirls it around in the soup to coat it with the sauce before popping it into . Her cheeks are full when she tries to mumble something else, and despite the confusion she’s in, Moonbyul thinks it’s the cutest thing she’s seen. She just wants to reach over and pinch her cheeks, but lets the girl take her time chewing before replying. Yongsun swallows, then tries again. “I didn’t think it was that important.”

Moonbyul looks out in amazement and lets a frustrated sigh escape from her lips. Did this girl seriously think her own birthday was unimportant?

“That’s it.” Moonbyul huffs. “This meal’s on me.”

“Um, I don’t think so.”

“Unnie,” Byul says, finally putting the honorific to use after finding out that Yongsun is, indeed, older. “Please. It’s the least I can do for the birthday girl.”

Solar resists a few more times before finally succumbing to defeat.

‘Fine’, she says, ‘only because you won’t give up and it’s starting to become annoying.’

Byul can only smile.

-----

“Which one are you going to get Byulie?”

“Hm?”

Moonbyul had suggested they go out for dessert after they finished eating tteokbokki. ‘We passed an ice cream shop on the way here, come, follow me’, she had said before grabbing Yongsun’s hand and leading her down the path outside the restaurant. Solar’s hand reacted immediately at the touch, turning warm, and her heart started beating faster. Why did this girl have such an effect on her? Did all soulmates feel like this when they were around each other? Then Yongsun started to wonder, did Byulyi feel it too?

They reached the ice cream parlor in just 5 minutes before Moonbyul finally released her fingers from Yongsun’s and Solar’s hand was immediately back to feeling cold and empty, missing the feeling of the contact. Solar was kind of sad, their fingers fit together perfectly, like two pieces of a puzzle. She had already grown comfortable with it.

“I said, which one are you going to get? Do you not pay attention to me Byul?”

“Ah, sorry.” Byulyi says apologetically. “I was too busy getting lost in your eyes, I couldn’t hear what you were saying.”

Solar whacks her with her sleeves, “Enough! Just answer my question you-- you weirdo!”

Moonbyul giggles and raises her arms up to protect and defend herself from Yongsun’s attacks. “I think I’m just gonna get a scoop of peppermint chocolate.” she says between fits of laughter. “How about you?”

Yongsun withdraws her arms cautiously and turns her attention to the menu, eyes scanning the list of different flavors. “Probably just a strawberry.” She says finally. She’s a basic kind of gal. She continues reading the rest of the menu out of pure curiosity though. They have some other intriguing flavors; Ube, Rainbow Sherbet, Rocky Road, Cookies and Cream...

Solar’s so invested she doesn’t even notice Byul go up to the cashier.

“Yeah, can I get one strawberry cone and one peppermint cone please?”

“Sure, that’ll be $4.50.” The cashier replies kindly.

Yongsun runs up to sidle beside Moonbyul, shaking her arm wildly, trying to get her to stop from reaching for her wallet. “Moon Byulyi!! I didn’t tell you to pay for mine!”

“You didn’t have to. I want to.” Moonbyul is able to break free of Yongsun’s strong grasp somehow and hands a $5 bill to the young man behind the register. “It’s not much. Just accept my act of kindness and that’ll make me happy.” The guy drops 50 cents back in change into her open palm and she places it in the friendly tip jar that sits next to the register.

This time Yongsun can’t hide her pout. She admires, and is grateful for, Byul’s extremity of kindness, but still feels bad that her money was spent on her.

She feels a hand press against her cheek then, it’s soft and smooth, tender. Moonbyul squeezes the squishy flesh fondly, and all too quickly her hand disappears back into the pocket of her hoodie. The gesture, if done by anyone else, would irritate Yongsun, (She doesn’t like when people touch her without permission) but since it was Moon Byulyi she doesn’t mind one bit. Solar eyes the girl from the side and admires the image of Moonbyul’s profile. Her sharp nose, hamster like cheeks, smooth jawline. Solar is weak. She can’t stop staring, trapped in a trance, and watches as the taller taps her foot against the tiles patiently for another employee to scoop their ice cream into two waffle cones.

“One peppermint waffle cone and one strawberry waffle cone!” The girl calls after a minute, and Moonbyul steps forward to retrieve their desserts. She bows in thanks after accepting it from the girl, and walks back with a simple grin on her face. She hands the cone topped with strawberry ice cream to Yongsun, who grabs it appreciatively with both hands.

“Thank you, Byulie.” Solar chimes.

“Of course.”

Solar feels so… warm and tingly inside. She isn’t sure if she swallowed a jar of butterflies alongside the tteokbokki they just ate, but she feels them fluttering around in her stomach violently. It’s incredible and thrilling at the same time. She’s never felt this way around anyone her whole life. If this is what finding your soulmate felt like, she’d wish this on anyone.

Solar takes a of the frozen dessert and her face immediately lights up. She sees Moonbyul chuckle at her reaction after she takes a of her own froyo.

“Is it really that good?”

Yongsun nods furiously, then juts her arm out towards Moonbyul, indicating her to try it for herself. And of course, Moon Byulyi never turns down an offer.

It takes Solar all she’s got not to drop the cone when Byul leans forward with her tongue sticking out. Her hand starts shaking involuntary because Byul looks so good and maybe she’s imagining that tongue doing something else entirely. (Ok, maybe Yongsun is an insane ert. Whatever.) Point is, Solar’s internal functions are blasting into overdrive. Her hands only stop jittering when Moonbyul wraps her own around her’s, keeping it still. She must’ve been having a hard time getting it to when it kept moving so much. Solar doesn’t blame her. She watches Byul’s soft, pink tongue dip into the cream and almost short circuits.

“Mm. That’s good.” She says, leaning back and her lips. Her brown orbs lock with Yongsun’s and Yongsun wishes she’d stop staring at her like that. “Wanna try mine?”

Solar doesn’t need to be asked twice to say yes. She leans forward a bit too eagerly to take a big off of Moonbyul’s cone.

“Easy tiger.” She hears Byul say, and blushes out of embarrassment, but then feels her own face contort into something funny looking.

“Bleh.” Yongsun says, or nearly spits, and Byul’s eyebrows shoot up to the ceiling.

“What, you don’t like it?” Moonbyul asks. Solar shakes her head.

Solar hates peppermint chocolate. It’s her least favorite flavor of ice cream. But was she going to pass up an opportunity for an indirect kiss with her soulmate? Not a chance. Was she going to tell Moon Byulyi that? Hell no.

“Then why’d you try it?”

“I like trying new things.” That’s a good excuse. She looks at Byul to see what her reaction would be.

“Oh,” She says slowly, then her expression turns smug. “I see…”

“Aish, I wonder what inappropriate thought Moonstar has in her head now.”

Moonbyul brings her unoccupied, ice-cream-free hand up to brush through Solar’s hair affectionately. Solar wants to combust. “Nothing in particular.” She says. There’s a brief pause as Moonbyul’s gaze transitions from Yongsun to the window behind her. She considers something, then speaks. “Wanna go for a walk?”

Solar follows Byul’s gaze and turns around to look out the window. What she sees is breathtaking. Out of the parlor window, the big orange sun is setting. The sky is painted in beautiful shades of yellows, oranges and purples that cast shadows from the silhouettes of buildings out on the street. Something tugs inside of her. Moonbyul is still fondly admiring Yongsun when Solar finally turns to face her again.

“Why yes, Moon Byulyi. I’d love to.”

-----

They walk along the quiet, unbusy sidewalk, passing small lit up shops and boutiques and restaurants like the one they went to earlier. They don’t hold hands this time, much to Yongsun’s dismay, but maybe it’s because they’re too focused on finishing their ice cream cones. Their unoccupied fingers brush a few times as they stroll side by side though, which is honestly enough for Yongsun. Any touch they share is electric. They walk in a comfortable silence that only long time friends would find natural, despite only knowing each other for 2 weeks. Yongsun finds comfort in that.

“Byul.” Solar hears herself say, but she doesn’t mean to speak.

“Hm?”

“Can I ask you a question?” No, what is she doing?

“Yeah, what is it?”

Anxiety bubbles in Solar’s stomach, unable to stop her thoughts from falling freely from . She feels her surroundings numb out and fade away and her only focus-- the only thing loud enough to hear-- are the thoughts in her head and the sound of her own heart beating against the confines of her ribcage, and she can’t seem to shut them out.

“What do you think of--” No, stop. Please shut up, just shut up. “How do you, uh… feel about,” Yongsun- “About...”

The last word is caught in , and she wishes it would stay that way, but it tumbles out lamely, and she wants to kick herself for not being able to sensor her inner emotions. “Soulmates…?”

“Soulmates?” Byul ponders aloud. She takes a moment to think. Seconds are ticking by so slowly; Yongsun can hear the drag of each step they take against the pavement, the sun has officially set, and the sky is no longer filled with color, just darkness. It feels like years, feels like time has stopped entirely, before Moonbyul finally speaks. “I don’t really keep up with that kind of stuff. Never really cared for it.” She says honestly, and Solar’s heart drops.

“Oh. I see…” Her steps slow, her heart feels heavy. Moonbyul seems to pick up on the sudden shift in her tone.

“What’s wrong?” She prods hesitantly. Genuine concern and worry is stitched into the features of her face, and Yongsun wishes it were that easy to just wipe away those wrinkles that she’s caused, smooth them out with the pads of her fingers.

“Nothing, nothing.” Yongsun says instead, head falling between her shoulders. Her hair spills over and covers her face. She doesn’t really want to talk about it anymore, didn’t even really want to to begin with, but Moon Byulyi is not one who’s easily swayed.

“Yongsun-ah.” She stops in her tracks, and pulls on Solar’s sleeve when she keeps walking to get her to stop too. Moonbyul rubs the girls arm fondly and Solar wants to pull away at the touch but she enjoys it too much. Is that pitiful? “Seriously, what’s wrong? You can be honest with me.”

And no, she can’t. She really can’t.

“Is it something I said?”

Yongsun shakes her head pathetically. It’s unconvincing, honestly. Her face is still tilted towards the ground, her body trembles slightly, she even feels tears prickle at the corners of her eyes just daring to come out.

“Is it because of what I said about soulmates?” Byul says.

Solar doesn’t reply. Won’t reply. She’s afraid if she opens , she’ll actually start crying. So she doesn’t dare speak.

Moonbyul sighs, accepting Yongsun’s silence as an affirmative to her last question. “It’s not that I don’t care,” she says. “I mean, I know they’re out there, I know they exist for some. It’s just, I never really had the time to stop and consider it.” A beat. “I’ve just always been too busy, too focused on other things. My whole life revolves around school... you know?”

Ah. And there it is. Wheein was right. Solar should’ve expected this, really. She was forewarned, and here she was, still letting herself fall. Fall helplessly and hopelessly for Moon Byulyi.

Kim Yongsun wishes so badly to end this right here. Wishes she can remove the invisible connection they share, wishes that she was destined for someone who actually believes and loves the idea of finding their soulmate. She wishes she can push out every bit, every ounce of her feelings and crush them. Stomp on them, bury them, make them go away. They make her feel so small, so vulnerable. This one sided longing is unbearable. She feels like she’s in this all alone when Byul doesn’t --no, can’t know.

“But, ever since you came into my life… I see that that’s not all there is to the world.” Byul says.

Yongsun’s head rises at the last statement. Hair is still partially covering the sides of her face and she feels her heart constrict. A tear escapes, falling down her cheek.

Moonbyul continues her thought. “I don’t really care for soulmates because I know they’re kind of unrealistic. The fact that only 45% of people in the world actually find theirs is crazy, and then expecting yourself to be just as lucky is risky and selfless all in itself.” Byul stares up at the sky, the moon has finally replaced the sun as the day transitions into night, but it shines just as beautiful and bright; just as powerful. Moonbyul seems fond with it. “And if I have to be honest Yongsun, spending time with you makes it all the more irrelevant to me.”

Yongsun tilts her head in confusion, not once taking her eyes off the girl, clearly not understanding.

After a while, Byul speaks again.

“I… I feel like I don’t need a soulmate when I’m around you.” Byul says more specifically. Her gaze falls back down to stare at Yongsun. “Is that weird?”

Solar shakes her head slowly and Byulyi smiles softly, sweetly. A thumb reaches up to brush the stray tear on Solar’s face.

Solar realizes in that moment that she doesn’t need to look up to find the moon. It’s right here, standing in front of her. Beautiful, bright, and powerful. Byul glows from the inside out. She is Solar’s moon. She is what guides the waves that crash within her body and draw her in with every pull.

So how does one tell their soulmate, that doesn’t believe in soulmates, that they’re meant to be? Yongsun doesn’t know.

In the moonlight, they’re all that they see. They stare deeply into each other’s eyes for what seems like forever. Their ice cream is turning soft, long forgotten. The moon’s light shines on the two girls, covers over them like a blanket, and the contents of the cold dessert slowly spill over the edges of their cones and trickle onto their hands. It’s sticky and wet and sweet. They don’t even notice their hands becoming a mess.

“You’re all I need, Kim Yongsun.” Moonbyul says to her. The ice cream drips onto the concrete below them. Peppermint swirls with strawberry on the ground.

And in that moment, Yongsun falls and breaks completely.

-----

More Author's notes:

Wowza, this chapter is the longest one I've written so far! And now I have to get get back to brainstorming, which is always the funnest part ;)

Also, I was listening to this song on repeat and it pretty much sums up how Solar feels about Byulyi. Give it a listen if ya want: falling for you - peachy

(alt link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXiNSiiCsg)