I'm an Idiot.

These Words Written

“I woke up this morning only to find ‘I’m an idiot’ written on the inside of my forearm, which one of you did it.”

The two at the end of the blunt accusation look up from their shared lunch, heads rising slowly while the echoes of chatter in the cafeteria carry on. Their eyes meet, locking onto one another for just a brief moment. (It was crazy to think they were having a whole silent conversation during this time. They weren’t best friends for nothing.)

 Before it could become evident that something fishy was going on, they break away from each other’s gazes and turn their vision towards the disheveled brunette who had both her hands weighed on the sides of her hips.

 Wheein is the first to speak. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

 Moonbyul scoffs, rolling her eyes in disbelief. “Like hell you don’t.” Her vision shifts towards the girl with the wavy black hair. “Explain.”

 Now it was Hwasa’s turn to roll her eyes. “What’s there to explain? We have nothing to do with that.” She shoots Wheein a sideways glance and the short haired girl nods in agreement.

 Moonbyul huffs as they turn their attention back to the steaming tofu soup sitting in front of them. They both take another bite while Moonbyul’s anger radiates off of her in waves.

 “I swear if this is another one of your guys’ antics, I’ve just about had it up to here with the both of you-”

 “Unnie.” Hwasa leans back in her seat, placing her spoon down on the napkin beside their tray. She uncrosses her right leg only to replace it with the left, and now she’s the one sounding a bit annoyed. “I swear on you, myself, and Wheein’s cat, Ggomo-” a quiet protest of hey comes from the opposite side of the table, “that we didn’t do it, okay? You remember, we went out last night to catch a drink with a friend, and came home around 1am. You were awake still, studying or whatever.”

 Moonbyul bites her lip, pondering, and her eyebrows furrow in confusion. She nods slowly, as if putting the puzzle pieces of last night back together in her mind.

 1:15 am

She was studying in the kitchen when she heard the jingle of keys being inserted in the door lock at around 1 in the morning. The apartment door swung open and a drunk Wheein and Hwasa stumbled in, laughing because they couldn’t walk straight. Moonbyul shook her head, a soft smile played on her lips.

 “You two,” She said, and the two looked up from where they were now sitting on the floor in an unladylike fashion, trying to figure out how to take their heels off. “Here.”

 Moonbyul walked over, dropping a pill in each of their palms, handing them a glass of water that they graciously, and hurriedly, accepted.

 After taking a moment to swallow the pill, they both squealed in unison, “Unnieee, you care about us! You love us!~” By then their shoes were long gone and thrown unceremoniously towards the front door as they raced to Byul, almost tackling the skinny girl to the ground in a bear hug.

 Byul chuckled, wind knocked out of her, “Yeah, I do.”

 It was now 1:45 am when Byul had just finished helping them get to their respective rooms and into their pajamas, as she bid them a ‘sweet dreams and goodnight’. She closed the last of the two doors after shutting off their lights and wobbled sleepily back to her pile of assignments on the kitchen table.

She stared at the two rooms lovingly, like a parent would to their children. Sometimes she felt that way, like their mother, even though they were all around the same age.

“Love you kiddos.”

 -----

 Moonbyul snaps back to the present, eyeing the blocky letters on her arm. “Then what is this?” Her voice is small, confused, but it only lasts for a second before it returns back to her semi angered tone. “I know for a fact I did not write this on myself. I even tried to scrub it with the hard side of the dishwashing sponge but it still wouldn’t come off.”

 Wheein and Hwasa both grimace as they notice the redness along her arm that lies behind the black text. The letters are dark and bold, and don’t look the least bit faded. That just proves what they were thinking even more. The fact that it seems almost permanent no matter how hard Moonbyul tried to take it off could only mean one thing.

 Wheein chuckles awkwardly, unsure of why her own thoughts are spilling out of , “Maybe it’s your soulmate.” She says, and Hwasa shoots her the deadliest glare of all time and she wishes never opened. This is why Hwasa should stick to the talking.

 “Soulmate?” Moonbyul raises the tone of her voice as if that was the stupidest conclusion they could’ve come up with. “You’ve got to be kidding me right now. As if I’d have one, I’m only 22 and frankly, I don’t have the time to be finding a ‘soulmate’ with all the assignments and schoolwork that I do.”

 “Yeah, I agree.” Hwasa rises from the table, quickly packing up whatever leftover soup there was and shoving it into it’s bag. “That Wheepup, always saying silly things!” Wheein watches her carefully and Hyejin raises her eyebrow at her and she’s on her feet in no less than a second. Both of them have their backpacks slung over their shoulders when Hwasa feigns looking at her watch, which is weird because her wrist is bare, Moonbyul thinks, and she smiles politely at Byul. “Well, we gotta get to to class. Hopefully you can figure something out, Unnie. We’ll see you later!”

 The two girls disappear in the distance and a confused Moonbyul is left with little to no new information about the writing on her arm, and a bad feeling about the two resting in the pit of her stomach.

-----

 “You don’t think-”

 “I do, Wheein, I really do. It’s identical.”

 Wheein glances at the girl beside her skeptically as they brisk walk to nowhere in particular, just anywhere away from Byul. “Really?”

 She’s startled when Hwasa comes to an abrupt stop, plopping herself down on a random bench under a tree at their Uni. She takes her phone out of her pocket, scrolls a few times on her screen and taps once before handing it to Wheein.

 The other girl’s eyes go wide, and she uses her thumb and pointer fingers to pinch zoom on the picture, eyes scanning it wildly.

 “We have to tell them.” She says, in an obvious tone, and it’s the most the girl’s ever sounded so serious, Hwasa notes.

 “No, Wheein.” She replies, simply. “It’s not our place to tell soulmates who their soulmates are.”

 “Hyejin-ah! There’s literally no rule that says that.” Wheein whines, “I’m going to call her right now and let her know that Moonbyul is her soul-”

 There’s a tight grip around her wrist then, strong enough to hold her in place but not tight enough to hurt her. She hears a chuckle in her ear, and a tickle of breath.

 Wait, when did Hwasa get behind her?

 “Wheein-ie,” she smiles, grip unwavering, “Give. me. back. my. phone.” She draws out each word slowly.

 And Wheein does. No questions asked.

 “Ahem.” Hwasa looks expectantly at Wheein once more.

 “What? I already gave it back.”

 Hwasa eyes the shorter girl’s pocket, “Your phone too.” And Wheein rolls her eyes towards the sky, digging her hand into her jacket and fishing out her phone as well. Hyejin accepts it gratefully and returns her to the bench.

 “I wasn’t going to use my phone to call her.” Wheein grumbles under her breath.

 “Can’t take any chances.” She glances up at the girl who’s still standing a foot away. “Come. Sit.” She motions.

 Wheein places herself next to Hyejin. They stare at the picture once more, analyzing it together.

 It’s undeniable.

 The lettering is the same, the print, the size, the shape and color of the dumb words ‘ I’m an idiot ’. And it was written on the forearm of none other than a drunken red girl, Kim Yongsun herself.

-----

 Yeba Unnie (2:15 pm)

i am having regrets.

 Yeba Unnie (2:18 pm)

i hate u guys. ppl keep looking at me funny

 Yeba Unnie (2:36 pm)

what kind of idiot agrees to playing drunk truth or dare. i just had to make a

speech in class and literally everyone would not quit looking at my arm ughhhhHhHH

 Yeba Unnie (2:40 pm)

have i mentioned i hate u both alrdy????

 Hyejin-ie (2:48 pm)

Apparently ur the idiot since u agreed

to play… And hey, it could’ve been worse.

At least we didnt make u draw a on ur face lol

 Jung Whee-pup (3:00 pm)

ya that woulda been sooooo worse. cant u just

imagine how pissed ((SHE’D)) be hwasa lolololol :B

 Hyejin-ie (3:05 pm)

I knew I shouldn’t have given ur phone back. I’m

gna kill u when i get back to the apartment Jung Wheein.

 Jung Wheepup (3:06 pm)

gtg gtg gtggggg

 

Yeba Unnie (3:15 pm)

??????????????

 -----