Uh-oh.

These Words Written

It has officially been 2 weeks since Yongsun put her number in Moonbyul’s phone.

Byul remembers how excited she had been. She had the kindness of waiting until she got back to the apartment that evening before texting her. (Although she couldn’t deny she wanted to text Yongsun the second she stepped out of that building.) She didn’t know why, but she quickly began developing a strong liking towards Yongsun. And Byul didn’t mean it like... That. Not in the ‘I just fell head over heels for a girl I just met!’ way; Byul felt like there was just a genuine friendly connection that they shared. A strong one. One where she thought Yongsun was kind and smart and pretty and mysterious and amusing and a whole lot of other things that she couldn’t really explain. (Oh who was she kidding.) She knew she was too gay to function, which probably played a role in her attraction towards Yongsun, but she’d never felt this sort of connection, this sort of pull, with any other girls she’d met. She didn’t know how, but Yongsun felt special.

Moonbyul doesn’t want to sound too cheesy, but ever since Yongsun stepped into her life, things have started looking up. Her days are warmer and brighter now; Like the sun finally decided to show it’s face to the world after hiding so long in the dark. Byul walks around campus feeling good about herself, unstressed about assignments and schoolwork that she’s usually hung up over, and finds more time to spend with Wheein and Hwasa outside of their apartment. She remembers the times she’d deny their invitations out, choosing to stay cooped up in her bedroom instead, and it gives her feelings of regret. Now, things would be different, she tells herself.

Byul also meets up with Yongsun twice a week at the library, which is probably her favorite part of the week. Tuesdays and Thursdays are now something to look forward to, knowing Yongsun will always be waiting there for her in the same spot they met. And when they aren’t spending physical time with each other, they’re always texting. They message each other at random times of the day, which will often times carry on for hours. It is in the short span of knowing Yongsun that Byul finds that there is more to life than just working hard to get the perfect GPA. She never knew it was possible to balance school and fun until she adapted to it, like Yongsun had showed her. And she hadn’t known how much she’d actually shut life out until the girl showed up.

Yongsun is, well, her ‘sun’, in a sense. The one who makes her days feel brighter. The one whose touch makes her feel like the rays from the sun are setting her body on fire. (In a good way.) She hasn’t told her that though. God, no. That’ll make things between them weird, probably.

Moonbyul walks out of her bedroom wearing a red hoodie and some sweats. She strides towards the kitchen cupboards, opens it and grabs a glass, and makes her way to the fridge. She reaches in to grab a large pitcher of water, then pours herself a cup, almost up to the brim. She drinks it in one go, 19 gulps worth (yes, she counted), then wipes the remaining droplets of water on with the back of her sleeve.

Another thing that has brought joy to Byul’s world as of late is that the scars on her arm finally managed to disappear. She has noticed this as the days progressed, nearly crying tears of joy on the day it finally vanished for good. The feeling left Moonbyul in extreme delight, and soon she forgot all about her so-called ‘soulmate’ that was out there, somewhere. Besides, being around Yongsun made her feel like soulmates didn’t really matter. Having Yongsun’s company was more than enough for Moonbyul.

Thinking of Yongsun so much gave Moonbyul a silly idea. She fixes the black cap on her head, brings the hood of her jacket over it, and tightens the strings to make it scrunch around her face. She angles her phone in front of herself before snapping a multitude of silly selcas. She is in the process of sending Yongsun the finished product when Wheein walks into the living room of their apartment.

“Ooooh, who you sending that to?” Wheein prods, playfully.

“No one. Just my friend.” Moonbyul walks over to the couch and plops onto it ungraciously.

She feels the weight of the sofa shift when the younger plops down beside her too, a potato chip bag in her hand.

“Just your friend, hm?” She pops a chip into . “Is this the same friend you’ve been texting everyday for the past 2 weeks?” She teases, knowingly.

Moonbyul side eyes her with a wide grin, “I don’t know. Maybe.”

Wheein giggles obnoxiously, knowing she hit the target spot on. “Unnie, you know you can’t lie to save your life, right?” Moonbyul pushes Wheein’s shoulder at that, laughing, and the girl almost falls over, but manages regains her balance on the couch before she does.

“Ah! Byul-ah, so rough.” She rubs her shoulder gingerly before eating another chip. “So, is it a girl? A boy? Are they cute?”

“It’s a girl, and yes, she’s cute. But what does that matter?”

“Ahhh, so it is a girl.” The younger says smugly, then under her breath Moonbyul can hear her snicker, Hwasa owes me 10 bucks. She pops two chips into this time, crunching loudly. I knew a boy wouldn’t be able to make you smile like that. You’re too gay.”

Moonbyul rolls her eyes lightheartedly, “You’re gay too.”

“Bi,” Wheein corrects, “But I lean more towards girls anyways. There’s just something about them...” She glares off into the distance for a short moment before stealing another look at the extra dopey Moonbyul who seems to have received a text. “So? What’s her name?”

Hyejin enters the front door at that moment, coming back from finishing her last class of the day. She slides her shoes off of her feet and tucks them neatly near the front door. She walks over to the two girls, placing her school bag on the kitchen table on the way.

“Kim Yongsun.”

Hyejin’s head snaps up, and so does Wheein’s.

“Excuse me, what are we talking about?” Hwasa announces. She hasn’t been part of the conversation, but she’s determined to find out what the hell is going on. She glances at Wheein, but the question was addressed to Moonbyul.

“I made a new friend a couple weeks ago when I paid a visit to the library. Her name’s Kim Yongsun.”

The room is silent for a moment while Hwasa seems to be registering Moonbyul’s two statements in her head.

“Ah. I see.” Hyejin finally nods. “That’s great, Byul.” She chides, and is somehow able to hide her anger well. “Wheein,” She smiles scarily at the shortest girl in the room. “May I speak with you for a sec?”

Wheein looks like she may have just her pants, but gets up quicker than lightning speed nonetheless. Moonbyul eyes the two, her brows cross in confusion.

She watches as Hyejin orders Wheein to the bedroom. “Room, now.” She states, and Byul wonders what Wheein could’ve done now to make Hwasa so upset.

Wheein drags her feet slowly in the direction towards her bedroom until Hwasa makes a motion to grab her by the shoulders and maneuver her towards the other door. “My room.” Wheein allows herself to be shuffled in, then Hyejin glances back at Moonbyul one last time before stepping inside herself, giving the older a smile before shutting the door completely.

Weird, Moonbyul thinks. Then returns her attention back to the screen in her hands, blushing hard at Yongsun’s response.

-----

Solar’s heart is racing. Wheein was right, Moonbyul does send a lot of derpy pictures. But they’re cute. They’re so cute. She’s so cute. Solar can’t contain the butterflies she gets when she opens the message.

Moonstar ☆ (4:23 pm)

Herro :B

L9KrFd7d0FHYofgFfxaDDFJf5fRQ-WC699AJpfIqkR1-Pg1dC9tDmkOeUfm3BFtc8Kotbv6WoyjZFhL-r_FYihQSJTYwOpSeqRLp_RlzxLW6xMFVtKmcXV1NzROuak5Nzvg-iGLk

Yongddonnie (4:24 pm)

hiiiiii ~

wow so cute hehe

Moonstar ☆ (4:24 pm)

^^ Thx

Whatcha up to?

Ever since Solar met Moonbyul at the library, she has been falling more and more for the girl. It certainly doesn’t help knowing that they're soulmates and that she can’t say or do anything about it. The acceptance of it all makes her body, as well as her heart, ache. Sure, she loves talking to Byul. She loves the fact that they make time for each other twice a week and meet up at the library to sit at their usual spot. But that's the problem. She loves it too much, and she isn’t able to express it in the way that she wishes.

It hurts even more knowing just how compatible they are. (She figures this out the moment Moonbyul tells her her birthday. She is a firm believer in horoscopes; Knowing Moonbyul is a Capricorn, and she herself a Pisces gives Solar such a bittersweet feeling, but ultimately just saddens her. What is the point if she can’t act on it?) Yongsun is tired of struggling with her emotions. Better yet, she wishes Wheein never told her about Moonbyul to begin with, because now life is just so much harder. She can not count the amount of times she’s had to repress the urge to tell Moonbyul what they really are and the connection they really share. Yongsun is fighting an internal battle with herself, and she wants it to end, but there are so many ways things can go wrong if she spills the truth. Not only will she get Wheein in trouble, but she doesn’t even know how Moonbyul feels at all.

In fact, she doesn’t even know how Moonbyul feels about soulmates to begin with. She remembered Wheein mentioning that she was too busy for relationships because she was too occupied focusing on school, but over the past couple of weeks Solar began to sense that changing.

Yongsun has helped her, actually. She’s shown Moonbyul that one can learn to have fun while still keeping their school life together. (She knows it well, because that’s what she’s been doing her whole life.) Solar doesn’t know if that’s changed any of Moonbyul’s perceptions on soulmates and love, though. They hadn’t really talked about the topic before.

Solar makes a mental note to bring it up the next time she sees her.

Yongsun finally types back a reply after saving Byul’s image to her camera roll.

Yongddonnie (4:28 pm)

just at the mall doin sum shopping :)

U4M0yDYpXhERjf1Rgcm8kMUa2f1ZAPoVnXxHVOTToBhwe8Q1FS33My7OYx5ZFRuL34u4rJCp4AeWqndts-5oAfYFsIJErWyVov78S0Kns9y0vCrGkzUYOt-O7HJO6UcPAlPPRlNf

After she takes a quick picture and sends it to Moonbyul, she busies herself with some clothes on the rack in front of her, sifting through the fabrics patiently.

It doesn’t take long for Moonbyul to reply.

Moonstar ☆ (4:29 pm)

Unnie, has anyone ever told you how pretty you are??? o.o

And wow, why wasn’t I invited..

Yongddonnie (4:30 pm)

<33 ur too sweet

n if u texted me earlierrrrr, maybe u could’ve came…..

Moonstar ☆ (4:31 pm)

-_- Boooo

What’re you buying?

Yongddonnie (4:33 pm)

nothing in particular, why

do u need anything?

Moonstar ☆ (4:34 pm)

Just your love ;P

Solar feels her face become red. It’s silly, but the text alone is enough to cause her heart to skip a beat, despite not knowing if Moonbyul actually means what she said or if she was just being her usual greasy self. Yongsun let herself believe the former.

Yongddonnie (4:37 pm)

ha ha very funny

ur grease is too much lately ;;

Moonstar ☆ (4:38 pm)

You like it ;)

And yeah. Solar does.

Moonstar ☆ (4:38 pm)

But I ammmm feeling kinda hungry….

Solar makes her way out of the shop empty handed when she seems to have finally decided on something. Dialing a number in her phone’s keypad, she presses the device to her ear and waits for the person on the other line to pick up.

It doesn’t even make it past the first ring when she hears Moonbyul’s voice through the speakers.

-----

As soon as Hwasa shuts the door to her bedroom, Wheein knows she’s in for some big trouble. She eyes the girl cautiously, and watches as the girl turns slowly from the door to face Wheein. An annoyed, sinister smile takes place on her face. Hyejin folds both hands calmly in front of her before opening to speak.

“Wheein.” She starts, and the shorter haired girl gulps. “Do you want to explain to me why Byul is speaking and, might I add, being extremely friendly with Kim Yongsun?”

“Hyejin-” The smaller squeals, “I promise I have no idea how that even happened. I’m in the same boat as you!!”

“Really now.”

“I- uh, yes!!”

Hwasa drops her head low and chuckles menacingly. “Wheein, you just made a terrible mistake lying to me right now.”

Wheein scoots backwards when Hwasa steps closer, trying to lessen the distance between them, and Wheein’s legs hit the edge of the bed.

“I mean what I said! I never introduced them, never even told Moonbyul about Solar, ever!”

Hwasa stares at the girl, brows fixed in contemplation. It looks as if she's weighing out Wheein’s words, trying to find truth in them. The girl shakes her head and her long black waves of hair follow the motion.

“You messed up, Wheein-ie.” She takes another step forward and with nowhere left to go Wheein falls onto the bed. Hwasa towers over her figure. “I can tell when you’re lying. How many times do I have to remind you?”

“I wasn’t-”

“Lying?” Hyejin jabs a finger into Wheein’s chest, pushing her down to the bed and keeping her in place. “But you’re hiding something. And I suggest you come clean with it before I have to find out myself.”

Wheein stares down at the finger that’s pressed against the middle of her chest, then sighs in defeat. She raises both arms above her head and lets her body go limp. “Okay, but don’t get mad?”

“I’m already mad.”

“Okay, well don’t get any more mad please?”

“Wheein, the only reason why I’m not screaming my lungs out at you is because Byulyi is just outside that door and I don’t want her to hear a thing.” Hwasa presses her finger down further and it elicits a yelp from the shorter. “Consider yourself lucky. Now speak. You have 10 seconds.”

Jung Wheein knows she shouldn’t screw around with Hwasa. Even though Wheein is older, it sometimes felt the other way around. When will she ever learn? Never, probably. Her hand travels to grasp at Hwasa’s finger to remove it but it won’t budge.

“Yah! Can’t I at least sit up?”

“No. 5 seconds. Hurry up.”

Wheein grumbles something incoherent under her breath and Hwasa shoots her a glare.

“I meant it when I said I didn’t tell Byulyi.” She stares up at the girl who is still hovering over her. She seems to be analyzing her every word. “...But I may have, possibly uh, idunno, kind of brought it up to... Solar?” Wheein waits for Hwasa to respond in anger, maybe even slap her. But she doesn’t. Instead she notices the younger waiting for her to go on, so she does. “I messaged her to meet with me a couple weeks ago... And I told her about everything.”

“Define ‘everything’.” It’s the first time Hwasa has spoken since the confession, and Wheein is surprised by the calm tone of her voice and her mask of patience.

“Well, for starters, I told her that her and my good friend were soulmates, which she then questioned ‘cause she didn’t believe me, and then I had to explain to her the writing on Byul’s arm and how it was identical to hers and that it was even in her writing for proof. I even showed her some pics of Byul ‘cause she was curious-”

“Hold on a second,” Hyejin shakes her head, exasperatedly. “So what I’m hearing right now, please correct me if I’m wrong, is everything I specifically instructed you not to do?”

Wheein hesitates, then giggles in fear, embarrassed.

“Jung Wheein, I’m really gonna kick your .”

Hyejin gets up then, releasing the hold that kept Wheein beneath her. She paces to the other side of the room and back, hands pressed against the temples of her shaking her head. Wheein watches, anxiously. She knows that Hwasa is at her maximum capacity of anger when she can’t even stand to see or touch Wheein.

“I gave you one task. Just one!” Hwasa exclaims in a low whisper, not breaking the flow of her movements around the room.

“I know, I know Hyejin-ie and I’m really sorry, I couldn’t help myself!”

“Clearly.”

Wheein frowns. Seeing her best friend so upset at her makes her insides crumble. She speaks in a low, faint voice, “If it makes you feel any better, I made Solar promise me to never tell Byulyi that they’re, well... soulmates.”

Hyejin places a firm hand on her hip and slowly brings her head up to stare at Wheein. Wheein can’t read the expression in her eyes. They stay like that for what seems to be an eternity. Finally, Wheein notices Hyejin falter; Her shoulders slack and her face softens. Hwasa shakes her head after a moment and takes a seat next to Wheein on the bed.

“So, tell me... what did she think of our Byul-ah?”

“Oh, she for sure thought she was super cute." A small smile creeps up on Wheein's face. "The way she flipped through the pictures, and the fact she asked me to send them to her later on. She was totally into her.”

Hwasa sighs, “Well, this is a difficult situation. You know how Byul feels about soulmates.” She turns her body to face Wheein’s equally. “She can’t know.” Her hand reaches up to pinch the girl’s cheek. “And don’t forget I’m still mad at you. You’ve made this all into a big mess.”

“Ah! Hyejin-ieee, that hurts!”

“Love hurts.” She says leaning closer, pinching her cheek a little harder. Not too hard, though. Their faces are only a mere few inches apart that when Hwasa speaks again, Wheein can feel it against her skin. "Next time, I'm going to give Ggomo away to a shelter."

Wheein cry whines at the thought of losing her cat. 'Okay, okay!' she says frantically. 'It won't happen again!' 

She stares up to look at Hwasa, and her lips turn into a frown. She says what's on her mind.

“But… Byulyi seems to be changing recently. In a good way. You’ve noticed it too, haven’t you? I can’t help but think it’s because of Yong.”

Hwasa releases her cheek and finds herself cupping it instead, cradling Wheein’s pouty face. “I’ve noticed too, yes.” She admits, then exhales a breath she seemed to have been holding. Quietly, she asks, “Then what do you think we should do?”

This is the first time Hyejin asks Wheein for her input. A small, excited smile grows wide on Wheein’s face -- One full of enthusiasm that she's finally being included in making decisions.

“I think we should stop trying to control the situation.” She says simply. “How about we just let them figure this out themselves?”

Hyejin grins, her nose scrunching, and raises a hand to pat the top of Wheein’s head, like a puppy.

“Wheein, I think that is one of the best and few good ideas you’ve ever had.”

They’re staring fondly in each others eyes when a knock breaks them from their trance.

“Guys?” Moonbyul says through the door. “I’m gonna head out.”

Hwasa clears , and stands from the bed, leaving a dazed Wheein sitting confusedly on the mattress.

“Okay, by yourself? Where to?”

“Yongsun is gonna pick me up, we’re just gonna grab something to eat and hang out for a bit.”

Hwasa runs a hand through her hair and stares back at Wheein who’s smiling ferociously.

“Okay Byul. Be safe.” She can hear Byul laugh from the other side of the door, then, ‘Aren’t I the Unnie in this house?’ The sound of the front door opens and closes and Hyejin returns her undivided attention to the girl sitting comfortably on her bed.

“There she goes.” Hwasa says.

“They’re so gay, it’s gross,” Wheein states, “I freakin love it.” And Hwasa laughs.

“I’m sure you do, Wheein-ie.”

-----

Author's note:

I remember when i first wrote this chapter, it felt like it took forever. I hope it turned out okay. Anyways, we get a lil Wheesa action in here so that's cool hehehe.

In the next chap, we'll see how Monsun is doing. kekeke