And you Are?

These Words Written

It was common for people to have soulmates, Moonbyul knew. Her parents were soulmates. She had some relatives that were soulmates. Friends, even. She just couldn’t believe in the possibility that she could have a soulmate. Not right now anyways. She was only 22, and although there wasn’t a specific age that told when you’d get your soulmate, she still felt like 22 was too young.

The phenomenon of writing appearing on the skin was ordinary and commonplace in the world. It was often times celebrated, because it meant that someone out there was truly and perfectly made for you, and only you. It was a force of motivation to most, to go out and seek their partner, but it didn’t always work out like that. Just because a soulmate existed for someone, didn’t mean it was easy to find them. This was mostly due to the language barrier. Sometimes a soulmate existed on the other side of the planet. What was one to do then? How could they communicate, or afford to meet? These were the struggles many people faced.

Moonbyul observes the writing on her skin, and sighs. It was written in Korean. This means that her soulmate existed generally somewhere in the same country as her.

She crosses the road from her apartment that leads to her school’s campus, smiling politely at others that walked and drove by. She sees a couple sitting on a bench together, the guy brushes a stray hair behind the girl’s ear before leaning over to kiss her on the cheek. Moonbyul wonders if they’re soulmates. Not everyone who dated were. She stuffs the idea to the back of her mind and crosses over the threshold of her campus gates.

The magic of all this, she has to admit, is when the marks appear. There’s no substantial feeling to it, they just appear, almost out of thin air. It is as simple, boring, and magical as that. A marker, a pen, a tattoo even, will materialize during the exact same time it is being written, which iss strange, because Moonbyul hadn’t even noticed hers until she woke up and showered the next morning before class. So it had to have happened that night while she was asleep. Right?

But who would write ‘I’m an idiot.’ on themselves? Moonbyul grumbles to herself. It made her look like a lunatic. Lately it’d been too warm to wear longsleeves during the day in this weather, (she was able to escape from this and wear sleeves to cover it up at night), so she’s been having to wear it out and about with pride, like a person with a cool new tattoo, except this isn’t a tattoo and it isn’t cool, and she is looking literally like what the writing says. An idiot.

That’s another thing that rubs her the wrong way. One can’t simply just take the markings off. It didn’t work that easily. Only those who created it were able to remove it, so that meant that the person on the receiving end couldn’t wash it away no matter how hard they tried. And trust her, Moonbyul sure had tried.

When she got out of bed and made her way to the bathroom the morning it happened, it had startled her. Of course, seeing large black letters on one’s arm not at their own doing would surprise anyone, she’s sure. She’s not ashamed to say she immediately thought of the two girls that lived with her. They were always up to silly pranks, so she assumed it was another one of their acts. But to write in permanent ink? Could they be so cruel? Moonbyul had scrubbed her arm till it was red and close to shreds, but resulted in nothing. It wouldn’t come off for some reason, she supposes, and now she knows why.

She glances at it again on her way to the campus library. Now that she thinks about it, the text looks to be a bit more faded than yesterday. Perhaps her soulmate was trying to take it off too. Thank God.

It had started becoming irritating to look at.

-----

Yongsun is studying in the library when she hears a small group of other students across the room snicker. They mumble something about an ‘idiot’ and Yongsun immediately assumes it was about her, which was odd because she has her sweater on. She flips the page in her textbook and starts a new section of notes in her notebook, unphased. She decides she won’t let it bother her anymore. She’ll try scrubbing it off again later when she gets home.

Solar is minding her own business when the table she’s sitting at shakes slightly, causing her to mess up on her notes. Great, she’s using pen and hates it when she makes a mistake. Exasperatedly, she grabs the white out from her pencil pouch, pops it open, and runs it over the text.

Whoever was the cause of the shaking quipps apologetically, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to mess you up,” the person announces, then adds, “Is anyone sitting here?”

She hasn’t lifted her head until then, and she nearly almost falls out of her seat when she sees who it is.

The girl stares back at Solar kind and patiently, question still hanging in the air.

“Oh, uh no, no one’s sitting here, feel free.” Yongsun motions to the empty seat in front of her while simultaneously moving her items closer towards herself, giving the girl some space for her own things.

“Thanks.”

That’s all that is said, but Solar can’t believe the odds. Here she was questioning if she’d ever meet her soulmate, and lo and behold. Here is Moon Byulyi, sitting across from her in the school’s library. Yongsun’s head rises carefully and observes that the library is quite crowded today. All of the tables are filled up, so it’s no wonder the dark haired girl decided to sit here.

Solar is thanking the gods that she came here after class. She had been pondering if she should go home when she left the double doors of her last class, but she knew she could never really focus there. The power and comfort of her bed called her name and she would eventually succumb to the pleasures of sleep. At least at school she knows she’ll be able to pay attention to her work. She peeks at the girl before her, who’s already gotten all her items out and seems to be in a strong mode of concentration. Well, Solar doesn’t know about that anymore.

Solar tries to control the urge of jumping to conclusions, even though she’s fairly certain that this is in fact the Moon Byulyi her and Wheein were just having a discussion about earlier today.

It is in that moment that Moonbyul raises her sleeveless arms behind her head to tie her hair into a high ponytail that Solar sees the text. There it is, written in her own writing,‘I’m an idiot’. She almost can’t believe it, but it’s right there in front of her face. She instinctively squeezes her arm at the thought.

She sends a text to Wheein anyways. Just to be sure.

Yeba Unnie (3:17 pm)

wheein, can u send me those pics u showed me earlier??

Yongsun doesn’t have to wait long for a response. The younger must’ve been on her phone already.

Jung Wheepup (3:17 pm)

wow u big gay. i knew u’d think shes hot lololol

Yeba Unnie (3:18 pm)

shut up

Jung Wheepup (3:20 pm)

Attachments: 3 Images

Yongsun eyes the pictures carefully, then steals a glance at the girl in front of her who doesn’t seem to notice. There’s no mistake. She smiles, giggles even.

This is undoubtedly Moon Byulyi. Which can only mean one thing.

This is, indeed, her soulmate. She has found her by chance, or was it fate?

Solar doesn’t know. But she doesn’t question it. Coincidence or not, she’s happy.

-----

The girl in front of her probably doesn’t think that Moonbyul can see or hear her, but she can. Moonbyul notices the way she’ll look up at her often and catches the way the girl grins in her peripheral vision, giggles even. Moonbyul wasn’t going to say anything at first, but it was honestly getting distracting. She came to the library for a reason, to get some work done in some peace and quiet. She couldn’t get it done like this.

She hears the girl chuckle once more and Moonbyul finally looks up to catch her gaze this time. This startles her, Byul notes, because she immediately breaks away from the eye contact and returns her vision down to the phone cradled in her hands. Now that Moonbyul thinks about it, she’s probably making fun of the stupid letters on her arm, (she had almost forgotten they were there), and quite frankly she was fed up with people laughing in secret about it.

“If you’re laughing because you think I’m an idiot, I can assure to you right now that I’m not.”

Moonbyul doesn’t even know what she's saying, but she knows she catches the girl off guard. The brunette looks surprised that Moonbyul is even talking to her in the first place. It shows all over her face, but is quickly wiped over with a look of entertained curiosity.

“Oh yeah? Show me then.”

Wow, so she does find the writing on her arm humorous. This ticks off Moonbyul more than she expects it to, and she feels the burden of all her pent up rage escape when she stands up in one fast motion. She thinks the sudden action would alarm the girl, but it doesn’t. It startles herself, she doesn’t even know what she’s doing. Moonbyul chances a glance down towards the scatter of papers on the table, then grabs one by random, and holds it up in front of the girl’s face to see. Luckily, it was one of her recent tests she’d just gotten back. 98% it read, scrawled in nice red pen. Moonbyul tilts her chin up in vain, exhaling a puff of short breath from her chest. How about that? Her smirk is full of ego, she’s feeling a bit pretentious.

“See? Not an idiot.”

The girl in front of her raises her eyebrows, undoubtedly amused. Her chin rests in comfortably in the palm of her hand. There’s an impressed, yet playful look in her eyes.

“Wow. You’re very smart.”

Moonbyul doesn’t know why, but she feels something weird flip in her stomach. She continues on, subconsciously picking up another piece of paper and holding it up triumphantly for the girl to see.

“An A+?”

Moonbyul nods coolly.

“You’re certainly no idiot.” The girl admits, then tucks a piece of hair behind her ear. “If anything, you seem to be very… intellectual.”

That did it. Moonbyul has a winning grin plastered all over her face. She even feels her nose muscles being activated. She doesn’t want to admit it, not even to herself, but it was quite evident. She likes being praised.

“How about me?” The girl says then, breaking Moonbyul out of her reverie. In 2 seconds she slides three papers across the table towards Byul, and Moonbyul can’t control the way slacks open.

On the papers, they read:

 

  • 100%
  • A++
  • ‘Great work! Really loved the way you worded this, keep it up! 100/100 + 10 bp (bonus points)

 

Who is this girl?

Moonbyul’s focus on the papers are unwavering, she scans the top of the paper where the girl’s name is printed at.

Kim Yongsun.

“Yes?”

Oh. She didn’t know she said that out loud.

“You’re extremely smart too.” Moonbyul concedes. She aligns the papers together and taps it against the table to straighten them out. She hands the thin stack back to ‘Kim Yongsun’, feeling like she’s been one-upped. It doesn’t bother her though. Moonbyul feels intrigued, actually. There’s actually someone here that is just as smart as her, if not more. It brings a new wave of interest and curiosity over Moonbyul, and she immediately wants to know more about this girl.

“Thank you, Moon Byulyi.” Her smile is pretty, Moonbyul notes. She’s pretty in general, it doesn’t take her being gay to notice that. Anyone with eyes can see it. But one thing seemed odd; Moonbyul doesn’t remember ever telling her her name.

“How do you know my name?”

Kim Yongsun falters a bit, but it was so quick Moonbyul doesn’t catch it.

“It was on your papers.” She says simply, and Moonbyul doesn’t go past 5 seconds to question it, because that’s how she found her name too.

“Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Kim Yongsun.” Moonbyul reaches a hand across the table filled with a mess of both of their belongings.

“Please, call me Yongsun. No need to be all formal.” She hums, grabbing Moonbyul’s hand, shaking it gently. Moonbyul feels something warm with their touch.

“Moonbyul, then. You can call me that.”

“Moonstar?” She smiles and dimples appear under . Cute , Moonbyul thinks. “I like the sound of that.”

Moonbyul hasn’t been called that since middle school. It was embarrassing, but when it came out of Yongsun’s mouth she decided that she liked it too.

“Yeah, me too.”

-----

“So, you go to school here?” Moonbyul doesn’t know why she asked such a stupid question. As expected, she’s met with a silly glance from Yongsun.

“Yeah, don’t you?” Yongsun picks up her pen that laid on her notebook and begins tapping it against the table. “Didn’t we just show each other our test papers?”

Oh. Right.

Moonbyul nods, embarrassed. “Yeah, we did. Sorry. I get kind of awkward when making new friends.”

“It’s fine, I don’t mind.” The way Yongsun talks is so reassuring. Byul looks up at the girl, who is only smiling at her politely. “At least you’re not an idiot like the writing on your arm says.” She teases. And Moonbyul blushes, covering her arm naturally. “So… How old are you?”

“Me?” Moonbyul asks dumbly. Of course you, who else? She thinks to herself. She really needs to find a way to keep idiotic things from spilling out of like a running faucet. At this point the girl in front of her would really start to believe the print on her skin.

“Yes you, silly.”

“I just turned 22 recently, this past December.”

“No way.” Yongsun’s eyes widen in surprise. She drops her pen and leans forward on both of her elbows, Moonbyul instinctively retracts back. “December what?”

“December 22…” Moonbyul shifts in her seat awkwardly, not knowing what was going on through the girl’s head. Suddenly, Yongsun’s mouth breaks into a smile, big enough for the two dimples below to reappear. The sight makes Byul’s body tingle. She almost can’t stop staring at . Her lips. God, Byul is too gay for this.

“You’re a Capricorn then?” She sounds excited, and Moonbyul breaks free from her trance.

“Yes, I am.” Byul answers, still confused but amused. “Why does it seem like you’re more excited about it than me though?”

“Because…” The girl chimes in a shushed voice, leaning back to sit more comfortably in her chair. She puts a pointer finger to her lips and makes a shh sound, then giggles. “It’s a secret.” Moonbyul can feel the corner of her own lips turn up at the act, enjoying the mysterious charm of the girl before her.

“We just met and you’re already keeping secrets from me?” Byul proda, entertained.

“You’ll figure out in due time.”

“I will?” Byul jests, setting her elbows onto the table. Yongsun nods with a glint of mirth in her eyes. She doesn’t know why, but talking to Yongsun brings a braver, bolder side out of her. No stranger has ever struck her right off the bat like this. Moonbyul sincerely feels like Yongsun is special. And on a side note, for some reason, she feels like this girl would be able to handle all the greasiness others couldn’t. (Wheein and Hwasa damn well couldn’t.)

“And how old are you?” It was Byul’s turn to ask.

“22.” Yongsun says simply, still smiling that polite smile. She twirls a strand of hair between her fingers, and Moonbyul feels her insides following the same motion.

“We’re the same age then.”

“Not exactly,” She clarifies, “I’m older. I’m technically your Unnie.”

Moonbyul’s eyes grow in response. No way, she thinks , she literally looks younger than me. Moonbyul can’t believe it “When’s your birthday?” she says.

“Secret.”

“Yah! Kim Yongsun.”

“It’s just Yongsun , remember?”

“I’m sorry, Yongsun ,” Byul emphasizes her correction. “How do I know you’re not lying?”

Yongsun looks towards the ceiling in thought. “I’m a woman of secrecy, you’ll just have to believe me.” She gives Moonbyul a sweet glance. “I’ll tell you when I’m ready.”

“And when will that be?” Moonbyul presses kindly, but really she is an impatient person.

“When I see you again.”

“When you see me again?” The response is enough to give Moonbyul hope -- hope knowing that this would not be their last meeting. Still, she urges on gently. “How will I be sure to see you again? This is the first time I’ve ever seen you around campus.”

Yongsun tilts her head to the side, mulling something over. A moment passes before it looks like she comes to a decision. “Here, give me your phone.”

Moonbyul fishes her phone out of her pocket and hands it over to Yongsun. Their fingers brush and Moonbyul feels a strange heat form in her body again.

In a few seconds, Yongsun is already sliding her phone back across the table.

“There,” she says, “Now you can contact me whenever you want, and you’ll be able to find me anytime, anywhere.”

Moonbyul can’t help but beam.

They continued talking for a couple of hours before Yongsun had to head back home. It was already 5:30 pm by the time they split ways, Moonbyul didn’t even notice the time pass. Talking to Yongsun somehow made time feel limitless. It was strange, in a good way.

Byul walks out of the library that evening with one of the biggest smiles on her face. Not a single bit of work had been accomplished that day, and the thought of soulmates dissipated from her mind completely. Only one thing filled her mind and grew with each step back to the apartment leaving her b with delight.

Kim Yongsun.

-----

Author's Note:

Wow, what a big dummy, she doesn't even know that Yongsun IS her soulmate. She's still an idiot.

Sigh, if only she knew. If only Solar could tell her!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ big sigh.

** also, I've written up to 5 chapters so far that I'll be uploading the rest of soon! Just fixing lil errors here n there :^) thanks for the comments, they make me happy to read!!! <3 hehe